Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › All The UEFA EURO 2020 Games Match Threads
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 11 Guests

All The UEFA EURO 2020 Games Match Threads

This thread currently has 44,643 views. Print
70 Pages Prev ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... Next All Recommend Thread
RonMariner
June 23, 2021, 9:30am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,803
Gold Stars: 226
I though we looked better with Maguire and Henderson in the team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 280 - 690
BobbyCummingsTackle
June 23, 2021, 10:53am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,300
Gold Stars: 307
Coverage of football is baffling me at the moment..

Scotland are out of the competition having been beaten twice, have a goal difference of -4 and got a single point in a game that was more about local differences than international football. As usual they haven't made the second round. The media is all 'unlucky' and 'brave effort' and all the over used 'Braveheart' cr*p.

England top their group with 7 points, won 2 and a draw. Haven't conceded a goal. Not played like 1970s Brazil but who has? Beaten a Croatia side who embarrassed Scotland. Media coverage is like they've done what Scotland did and limped out of the competition, failing to deliver on their promise. Oh yeah, with a game at Wembley against one of Europe's top teams next week to come...

It's not the coverage of England that's baffling me (England have to win every game 6-0 and play like Brazil) but the failure of the media to say "Scotland? They were a bit sh*t really".

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 281 - 690
Les Brechin
June 23, 2021, 10:57am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
Coverage of football is baffling me at the moment..

Scotland are out of the competition having been beaten twice, have a goal difference of -4 and got a single point in a game that was more about local differences than international football. As usual they haven't made the second round. The media is all 'unlucky' and 'brave effort' and all the over used 'Braveheart' cr*p.

England top their group with 7 points, won 2 and a draw. Haven't conceded a goal. Not played like 1970s Brazil but who has? Beaten a Croatia side who embarrassed Scotland. Media coverage is like they've done what Scotland did and limped out of the competition, failing to deliver on their promise. Oh yeah, with a game at Wembley against one of Europe's top teams next week to come...

It's not the coverage of England that's baffling me (England have to win every game 6-0 and play like Brazil) but the failure of the media to say "Scotland? They were a bit sh*t really".

It's to be expected when these small nations manage to hold one of the big boys to a draw. It's a bit like Town holding Man Utd to a 0-0 really.  

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 282 - 690
BobbyCummingsTackle
June 23, 2021, 12:02pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin

It's to be expected when these small nations manage to hold one of the big boys to a draw. It's a bit like Town holding Man Utd to a 0-0 really.  

I'll just take a step back here.....

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 283 - 690
pontoonlew
June 23, 2021, 12:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
I'm personally not buying into this 'let's 1-0 our way to the Trophy', I see it as us just not playing very well.

Southgate is playing a dangerous game by not making the most of our attacking threats, people have blamed fitness, out-of-form players etc, the fact is, we've played like this for the best part of 2 years now and it's painful to watch. Kane has 2 goals in his past 12 England games, in his previous 11 to that he'd scored 12 and it's directly linked to the sudden switch to stale performances under Southgate. Kanes not 'unfit' or 'out-of-form' he's playing with a dreadfully negative team who are quite clearly instructed not to break lines or stray out of position through fear of conceding. He's also been terrified of playing somebody like Grealish who came on and set up a goal, it's taken months for Southgate to finally cave and take what he see's as a risk and the rest of us see as plain common sense.

It backfired for us against Belgium and Denmark recently (almost did against Poland as well) and I don't think defensively we're good enough to do it. Although the fact we've not conceded a goal is a huge positive, but when we play one of the big boys next round, it's going to get a damn sight harder for us.

We have the worse 'progression with the ball' stats in the entire tournament, meaning we're slower than every team and moving the ball towards the goal, with one of the best attacking options we're had for many many years.

I've watched England at major tournaments since 1998 and this is close to being the most boring set of perfomrances we've put in with arguably some of the most exciting players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 284 - 690
jamesgtfc
June 23, 2021, 12:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from pontoonlew
I'm personally not buying into this 'let's 1-0 our way to the Trophy', I see it as us just not playing very well.

Southgate is playing a dangerous game by not making the most of our attacking threats, people have blamed fitness, out-of-form players etc, the fact is, we've played like this for the best part of 2 years now and it's painful to watch. Kane has 2 goals in his past 12 England games, in his previous 11 to that he'd scored 12 and it's directly linked to the sudden switch to stale performances under Southgate. Kanes not 'unfit' or 'out-of-form' he's playing with a dreadfully negative team who are quite clearly instructed not to break lines or stray out of position through fear of conceding. He's also been terrified of playing somebody like Grealish who came on and set up a goal, it's taken months for Southgate to finally cave and take what he see's as a risk and the rest of us see as plain common sense.

It backfired for us against Belgium and Denmark recently (almost did against Poland as well) and I don't think defensively we're good enough to do it. Although the fact we've not conceded a goal is a huge positive, but when we play one of the big boys next round, it's going to get a damn sight harder for us.

We have the worse 'progression with the ball' stats in the entire tournament, meaning we're slower than every team and moving the ball towards the goal, with one of the best attacking options we're had for many many years.

I've watched England at major tournaments since 1998 and this is close to being the most boring set of perfomrances we've put in with arguably some of the most exciting players.

I'm similar to you. My first major England memories are from 1998 and I don't miss a tournament game but I debated watching Scotland instead last night.

I didn't but I spent most of my time doing something else last night because it was so mind numbingly boring. I want to be entertained!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 285 - 690
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
June 23, 2021, 1:08pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,831
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from pontoonlew

2010 was a shocker. Outplayed by USA, bar the first 20 mins, stifled by Algeria and dull against Slovenia. Thankfully Germany knocked us out before we stunk out the tournament any more.

In fact, there have been very few great England performances in my lifetime.

Euro 96, we were terrible against Switzerland, we only turned up for 20 mins against Scotland, (admittedly) played well against Netherlands, would have lost to Spain if VAR existed and played the gallant loser well in the semi-final.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 286 - 690
KingstonMariner
June 23, 2021, 1:09pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.05
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I don’t think Southgate is the problem. He doesn’t tell players to not move into space to make themselves available for passes. He doesn’t tell them ‘when you have the ball and an opposition player is a 2-3 metres away turn and pass it back’. This is a gaping hole in the competence of English footballers. They can do some amazing things with the ball at their feet or head, but their situational awareness and tactical acumen are very poor. It’s been like this got a very long time. Different players, same old problems.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 287 - 690
BobbyCummingsTackle
June 23, 2021, 1:12pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew

The commentator made an interesting point last night - apparently the England coaching team have analysed tournaments over the last few years and can see that winning them needs a conservative approach and a tight defence.

I agree with you about playing it out from the back, when you put Maguire under pressure he reverts to being an old fashioned centre half whose second touch is a tackle.

The biggest frustration for me was Walker's reluctance to take the opposing defender on or slide the ball forward to a wide man on his side. He constantly checked and cut inside which led almost every time to the ball going backwards. The bloke can catch pigeons but he's not using his pace (or not being allowed to ).

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 288 - 690
TownSNAFU5
June 23, 2021, 1:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,904
Gold Stars: 42
...........”if we draw 0-0 with Man United”.   They should be so lucky.  In the 1930s or 40s we scored 10 goals against them in 2 consecutive day over Christmas.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 289 - 690
70 Pages Prev ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › All The UEFA EURO 2020 Games Match Threads

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.