Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › council want to talk to Town about new stadium
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 133 Guests

council want to talk to Town about new stadium

This thread currently has 60,482 views. Print
53 Pages Prev ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 Next All Recommend Thread
marinerjase
February 22, 2022, 3:11pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,666
Gold Stars: 147
Can’t remember name of the place, but in Burnley not far from their ground I delivered to a Garden centre, which was situated within a very picturesque park, and a golf course within, there were probably other amenities as well - but it looked out of place once out the ‘grounds’ - was about 3 years ago so can’t remember what it was called.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 430 - 520
Limerick Mariner
February 22, 2022, 3:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,730
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from marinerjase
Can’t remember name of the place, but in Burnley not far from their ground I delivered to a Garden centre, which was situated within a very picturesque park, and a golf course within, there were probably other amenities as well - but it looked out of place once out the ‘grounds’ - was about 3 years ago so can’t remember what it was called.

Townley Hall?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 431 - 520
marinerjase
February 22, 2022, 3:54pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,666
Gold Stars: 147
That’s the one..thanks 👍

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 432 - 520
GollyGTFC
February 22, 2022, 4:21pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,039
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

That's my worry as well. As others have said, the funding by enabling development boat (the Chesterfield approach) has sailed. I'm not sure the joined-up local government skills needed to secure government and other grants for land assembly, enabling infrastructure and stadium itself (the Doncaster and Rotherham approach) ever existed or ever will exist in NE Lincs.

GTFC will never deliver a stadium without that package of funding linked to beneficial community outcomes other than just a football stadium. Apart from at the top level, I doubt any stadium of scale has been delivered without that or an enabling development, save for the one-off eccentric sugar daddys like Dale Vince.

So, there needs to be the coordination of the political will and competence within the local authority as well as the competence on the GTFC Board to project manage the funding and delivery. Perhaps 1878 know the former is lacking and hence the managing of expectations by them. Hope I'm wrong, but if not we'll be at BP for a long time. So some kind of phased upgrade will be required.

You say there's no enabling developments that could help build a stadium, but I would point out there's no cinema in Grimsby (just a small one in Cleethorpes) and the town doesn't have a leisure complex incorporating chain restaurants (Nando's, Five Guys, Pizza Express etc..) and the sort of things you often find in those developments (indoor crazy golf, climbing walls etc...).

I mean I don't live in Grimsby and never have, but it's a fairly big area and a fair distance of a town/city with any of the things I listed.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 433 - 520
Limerick Mariner
February 22, 2022, 4:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,730
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from GollyGTFC

You say there's no enabling developments that could help build a stadium, but I would point out there's no cinema in Grimsby (just a small one in Cleethorpes) and the town doesn't have a leisure complex incorporating chain restaurants (Nando's, Five Guys, Pizza Express etc..) and the sort of things you often find in those developments (indoor crazy golf, climbing walls etc...).

I mean I don't live in Grimsby and never have, but it's a fairly big area and a fair distance of a town/city with any of the things I listed.

Might be feasible with grant top-up. Those uses don't generate the value that big supermarkets have done in the past (I suspect Chesterfield's stadium was largely funded from the Tesco Extra) and housing in the right place. Problem is Gy is just a low value place. Maybe part funding from a mixed leisure complex plus grant for enabling works - remediation, highways / utilities etc. AP will have the expertise to  run the basic numbers on that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 434 - 520
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 22, 2022, 5:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,764
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from pen penfras

Lincoln doesn't need government funding as much. The city centre is a nice place and desirable. The centre of Grimsby is not. If people want to live there, then it's easy to redevelop because there's money that will pay for it. It's a really hard thing to start, but Grimsby needs to start making the town a better place rather than expanding the suburbs with a black hole in the middle.

Well I’ve lived in Lincoln for over 40 years and whilst it’s always had the cathedral, castle and steep hill, the centre whilst pedestrianised had until the mid 1990’s a high street with very few pubs and restaurants and most night time activities were up in the Bailgate. The loss of most of the area’s engineering companies had led to a big decline on the City and its recreational offerings.

However the attraction of a University and building it back in the centre of the City (rather than proposed sites just outside the city) changed everything. First Branford Pool area got developed with hotels, pubs and restaurants all attracted to the area and this has spread throughout the city but much is the result of the University and the fact that for approaching three quarters of the year you have a population increase of some 15000 students the majority of whom are aged between 18 & 23 plus you have parents visiting regularly to boost the local income.

Uni has literally spent hundreds of millions and the spending and growth is never ending and it just seems Grimsby continues to get overlooked by successive governments when it comes to redevelopment and compared to Doncaster which appeared to get well looked after following the decline of the coal industry Grimsby has had sod all to compensate for the comparable decline in the fishing industry.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 435 - 520
KingstonMariner
February 22, 2022, 6:29pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.05
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from pen penfras

Lincoln doesn't need government funding as much. The city centre is a nice place and desirable. The centre of Grimsby is not. If people want to live there, then it's easy to redevelop because there's money that will pay for it. It's a really hard thing to start, but Grimsby needs to start making the town a better place rather than expanding the suburbs with a black hole in the middle.

I had to double check your name. I agree with you PP 😆

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 436 - 520
HerveJosse
February 22, 2022, 6:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,205
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from GollyGTFC

In  a town like Grimsby and in the current climate these type of occupiers are paid to come with incentives such as rent free periods upfront payments fit out paid out they do generate value to fund other development
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 437 - 520
jamesgtfc
February 22, 2022, 6:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,040
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Have you seen the kind of money you need to stump up to become a franchisee for many of those chains? There's a reason the franchises are in areas more densely populated than NELC.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 438 - 520
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 22, 2022, 8:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,949
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Back in 2002, I travelled back to Grimsby to look at the feasibility of Nando’s opening a store and what developments were available or were due to be built. The council, at the time were not interested in what then, was not a big company and wouldn’t give the time of day for what was being offered. It was so blinkered and shocking. This was going to be one of the first Nando’s opened in the north and would’ve became a destination point for many. But, the councils focus wasn’t on leisure/hospitality.

It’s like the mentality is stuck in a time warp and change won’t happen. The ‘we’ve never done it like that’ mentality that has probably kept the town back by many people. There are some fantastic in town/city retail developments (reading, Lincoln, Bristol, Gloucester - to name a few) but, town could have this unique opportunity of having a multi-use sports arena at the heart of it all. It just needs someone with vision (and quite a few ££££££ or contacts) to help bring it all together

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 439 - 520
53 Pages Prev ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › council want to talk to Town about new stadium

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.