Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › All the play-off games
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 174 Guests

All the play-off games

This thread currently has 23,314 views. Print
22 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
May 30, 2021, 5:24pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Well done Blackpool. Pleased about that, especially when you read them smug **** comments on the Lincoln City forum about our demise.

This

I've seen some of the comments so happy days.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 170 - 211
Limerick Mariner
May 30, 2021, 5:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 136
I know many Town fans regard Scunny as the main rivals - geographically closer, and coming from Wrawby / Brigg, it was Grimsby v Scunthorpe at school for me, but actually, Scunthorpe are the Johnny come Lately club of the Lincs 3 and will never displace Town as the big club of North / NE Lincs. Lincoln are different - our shared history goes back to both being founder members of Division 2 in 1892. They have a huge geographic catchment - nothing to the south until Peterborough, it's a growing city and getting wealthier. I could have seen us struggling to compete with them long-term if they'd gone up ( but not permanently in their shadow like that feckin embarrassment of a banner they produced!). We've never been two divisions below them until now, thankfully it's not going to be three. Let's start closing the gap next season...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 171 - 211
lukeo
May 30, 2021, 6:12pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Cheers Lincoln! Won £23 from that game. Put £10 in a fruity pressed spin at £2 a spin by mistake. Walked out with £150 ☺
Definitely spending even more money in the club shop this week once I find out children's size ratios 😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 172 - 211
Teestogreen
May 30, 2021, 8:33pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -152
Gold Stars: 23
Grimsby Town club president - John Elsom - is from Wrawby / Brigg as well Limerick (and former Leicester City chairman) - would give a penny for his thoughts on the last 15 seasons!

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 173 - 211
hampshiremariner
May 30, 2021, 9:12pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,056
Gold Stars: 35
I could have easily been a Lincoln supporter! Living in Skegness there was a regular Trent bus that went from the Lawn Car Park every Saturday morning and bound for Nott'm. It stopped in Lincoln and there was a return bus back at about 6.30pm. You could catch a direct train to Grimsby from Burgh station but you had to catch a service bus to get to Burgh. But, but by accident, I learnt that a shopkeeper I knew in Skegness was driving to Grimsby one March Saturday in 1958 to watch them play Sheffield Utd. The game was billed as the comeback of Tommy Briggs. I unashamedly begged a lift and attended the game. Town lost 3-1 but I was hooked.  He was a great bloke and paid for me to go in, plus tea and cake in a cafe somewhere in Cleethorpes afterwards while waiting for the traffic heading out of town to die down! Great memories for me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 174 - 211
friskneymariner
May 30, 2021, 9:36pm

Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
About the same time I was travelling from Skegness to home games with my dad,sometimes by car much usually by train, travelled to Firsby caught the Kings Cross to Cleethorpes express which was hauled by steam engine,always hoped it was one of Immingham's Britannias .Loved the excitement of Firsby station now long gone,but every time I go past it I still recall that excitement I felt as an 8 year old.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 175 - 211
TownSNAFU5
May 30, 2021, 9:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,879
Gold Stars: 42
My dad said that in the 1930s, when we were in the Prem equivalent, buses used to go from as far as Boston and Skegness to Grimsby home games.  Those were the days.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 176 - 211
Posh Harry
May 30, 2021, 10:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,361
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from hampshiremariner
I could have easily been a Lincoln supporter! Living in Skegness there was a regular Trent bus that went from the Lawn Car Park every Saturday morning and bound for Nott'm. It stopped in Lincoln and there was a return bus back at about 6.30pm. You could catch a direct train to Grimsby from Burgh station but you had to catch a service bus to get to Burgh. But, but by accident, I learnt that a shopkeeper I knew in Skegness was driving to Grimsby one March Saturday in 1958 to watch them play Sheffield Utd. The game was billed as the comeback of Tommy Briggs. I unashamedly begged a lift and attended the game. Town lost 3-1 but I was hooked.  He was a great bloke and paid for me to go in, plus tea and cake in a cafe somewhere in Cleethorpes afterwards while waiting for the traffic heading out of town to die down! Great memories for me.

I shiver at the thought but I also could have been a Lincoln fan. Dad game me the choice of who I wanted to see and it happened to be the day we beat Sheff Utd 4-0 to win the championship. As it was a big game I choose town and was hooked from that day forward

UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 177 - 211
Limerick Mariner
May 31, 2021, 12:00am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Teestogreen
Grimsby Town club president - John Elsom - is from Wrawby / Brigg as well Limerick (and former Leicester City chairman) - would give a penny for his thoughts on the last 15 seasons!
I see he's a bit younger than my dad was - probably knew him if he went to Brigg Grammar...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 178 - 211
Limerick Mariner
May 31, 2021, 12:02am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Posh Harry

I shiver at the thought but I also could have been a Lincoln fan. Dad game me the choice of who I wanted to see and it happened to be the day we beat Sheff Utd 4-0 to win the championship. As it was a big game I choose town and was hooked from that day forward

UTFM

Now that's hardly a choice is it...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 179 - 211
22 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › All the play-off games

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.