Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 18, 2021, 3:32pm

Just thought I would start a thread to comment on all the end of season play-off games.

Last night's scores, Championship:
Bournemouth 1-0 Brentford
Barnsley 0-1 Swansea

Today's games:
Oxford v Blackpool (League One 18:00)
Newport v FGR (League Two 20:15)

Come on Sunderland tomorrow night.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 18, 2021, 3:34pm; Reply: 1
Enjoyed both of last night's games. Nice to have an atmosphere too, especially the Barnsleh match.
Posted by: NorfolkImp, May 18, 2021, 4:22pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from promotion plaice

Just thought I would start a thread to comment on all the end of season play-off games.

Aren't you backing the plucky underdog?

3,146 Imps allowed inside the ground tomorrow night .... that'll be a decent gate for you next season  ;)
Posted by: Son of Cod, May 18, 2021, 4:38pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Abdul19
Enjoyed both of last night's games. Nice to have an atmosphere too, especially the Barnsleh match.

Yeah considering there was only 4,000 of them, the Barnsley fans made a right racket. Hope they can turn it round and get promoted. Sick of the same teams going up or down from the Prem. Them or Brentford for me please.

Quoted from NorfolkImp

Aren't you backing the plucky underdog?

3,146 Imps allowed inside the ground tomorrow night .... that'll be a decent gate for you next season  ;)

Would have been a decent gate for you before the Cowleys invented football. Anyway good luck for tonight, hopefully you can get past Sunderland and lose in the final. Would be good for Blackpool to get some revenge on you after you ragged it twice against them this season.
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, May 18, 2021, 5:08pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Abdul19

Are they on Sky?
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 18, 2021, 5:10pm; Reply: 5

Last night's scores, Championship:
Bournemouth 1-0 Brentford
Barnsley 0-1 Swansea

Today's games:
Oxford v Blackpool (League One 18:00)
Newport v FGR (League Two 20:15)

In a strange way I'm hoping Lincoln do get promoted

It would really stuff up all the focus and attention that Look NorthBank will look to give to the top team in their broadcast area   ::)
Posted by: Son of Cod, May 18, 2021, 5:14pm; Reply: 6

Are they on Sky?

Yeah.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 18, 2021, 6:31pm; Reply: 7

Oxford 0-2 Blackpool after 25 mins.
Posted by: Rick12, May 18, 2021, 6:51pm; Reply: 8

Check out if you can the excellent programme  they done on Netflix if you havent already on Sunderland football club "Sunderland till I die ". Reminded me a bit of Grimsby a bit but on a much larger scale eg deprived area economically but some lovely people who had a real passion  for their club.

Posted by: Son of Cod, May 18, 2021, 7:04pm; Reply: 9
Have been in a support bubble with a mate who is a Blackpool fan so have watched them a fair bit when Town haven't been playing and they're a really tidy, solid side. Jerry Yates has had a great season, probably their standout player along with their keeper. Embleton has struggled at times but is coming good now, that ball he played in for the first goal was quality. Ethan Robson has been pretty crap.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 18, 2021, 8:54pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Son of Cod
Have been in a support bubble with a mate who is a Blackpool fan so have watched them a fair bit when Town haven't been playing and they're a really tidy, solid side. Jerry Yates has had a great season, probably their standout player along with their keeper. Embleton has struggled at times but is coming good now, that ball he played in for the first goal was quality. Ethan Robson has been pretty crap.

according to BBC N.Ireland tonight they're signing Shane Lavery from Linfield, who's scored nearly 30 goals for them this season
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 19, 2021, 5:45pm; Reply: 11

Lincoln City v Sunderland (League One Play-Off Semi-Final 1st Leg)

18:00 (Sky Sports Football)

Should be interesting, Lincoln were forced to sign an emergency goalkeeper yesterday due to a training ground injury to their regular keeper, he's only had one training session with them.
Posted by: Eastendmariner, May 19, 2021, 5:50pm; Reply: 12
It's a Lincoln win then
Posted by: moosey_club, May 19, 2021, 6:15pm; Reply: 13

Should be interesting, Lincoln were forced to sign an emergency goalkeeper yesterday due to a training ground injury to their regular keeper, he's only had one training session with them.

Please tell me it's a certain  Mr Tommy Forecast ???
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 19, 2021, 6:34pm; Reply: 14

Must say Lincoln's pitch looks miles better than ours this season.
Posted by: NorfolkImp, May 19, 2021, 8:10pm; Reply: 15

Man of the match for us too ..... what a debut ;)

Posted by: lukeo, May 20, 2021, 12:02pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Rick12
Check out if you can the excellent programme  they done on Netflix if you havent already on Sunderland football club "Sunderland till I die ". Reminded me a bit of Grimsby a bit but on a much larger scale eg deprived area economically but some lovely people who had a real passion  for their club.

Agreee. Really enjoyed that... I'm currently watching bits and bobs of the 'all or nothing' man city on amazon. Only watch about half hour a week as its not as interesting
Posted by: ironwin, May 20, 2021, 5:12pm; Reply: 17

Must say Lincoln's pitch looks miles better than ours this season.

https://twitter.com/Craig_Housley9/status/1395263238368018437?s=20

not anymore.
Posted by: nealeardleyscrossing, May 20, 2021, 5:26pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from ironwin

And that is why the pitch is so good  - Spending the Coin.. Plus we want to play football so a decent pitch is worth a few points each season.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, May 20, 2021, 5:42pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from ironwin

Still looks better than ours after Ian Flemings grass cutting efforts
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 20, 2021, 6:20pm; Reply: 20

Latest...Tranmere 0-1 Morecambe.

Totally against the run of play.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 20, 2021, 6:23pm; Reply: 21

Now....1-1.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 20, 2021, 6:50pm; Reply: 22
Have both Morecambe goals been knobbed in?
Posted by: ginnywings, May 20, 2021, 7:11pm; Reply: 23

Still looks better than ours after Ian Flemings grass cutting efforts

The pitch at BP is starting to look better now. A lot of work going on to improve it.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 20, 2021, 7:43pm; Reply: 24
1-2 now.

Tough cookies are Morecambe.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 20, 2021, 7:53pm; Reply: 25
Some magnificent shithousery by Morecambe.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, May 21, 2021, 12:31am; Reply: 26
Quoted from ginnywings

The pitch at BP is starting to look better now. A lot of work going on to improve it.

I'm not denying that. Having worked with Mike Phillips for several years I have witnessed him perform magic on that pitch many a time. I was purely comparing it to when he had been furloughed
Posted by: Rick12, May 21, 2021, 5:31am; Reply: 27
Quoted from lukeo

. I'm currently watching bits and bobs of the 'all or nothing' man city on amazon. Only watch about half hour a week as its not as interesting
I ve seen it Lukeo . I liked it to be honest . Their in another world compared to Grimsby though.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 21, 2021, 9:21am; Reply: 28
Quoted from ironwin

When did a nice pitch get you 3 points on a Saturday?
Posted by: Poojah, May 21, 2021, 10:07am; Reply: 29
Quoted from jamesgtfc

When did a nice pitch get you 3 points on a Saturday?

Nice pitch. Round balls. Pre-seasons. Respectable training ground. Respectable stadium. Competent players. Fit players. Fitness coaches. Competent managers. Scouting systems. Long-term recruitment philosophies. Some kind of plan. Any kind of plan.

All sounds expensive and unnecessary to me.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 21, 2021, 10:27am; Reply: 30
Quoted from Poojah

Nice pitch. Round balls. Pre-seasons. Respectable training ground. Respectable stadium. Competent players. Fit players. Fitness coaches. Competent managers. Scouting systems. Long-term recruitment philosophies. Some kind of plan.

Sports Direct had some Gilbert balls on offer, I don't know why everyone is kicking off about it.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 21, 2021, 10:34am; Reply: 31
Quoted from Poojah

Nice pitch. Round balls. Pre-seasons. Respectable training ground. Respectable stadium. Competent players. Fit players. Fitness coaches. Competent managers. Scouting systems. Long-term recruitment philosophies. Some kind of plan.

Sounds like that could have been the "pep talk" the former principal funder might have given when he went off on that crusade down the A46  ;)
Posted by: Posh Harry, May 21, 2021, 1:28pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Sports Direct had some Gilbert balls on offer, I don't know why everyone is kicking off about it.

They should sell Gary Childs balls instead. Apparently they were bigger than Gilbert’s 😎
Posted by: Abdul19, May 21, 2021, 8:00pm; Reply: 33
Brilliant goal by Elliot Embleton!
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 21, 2021, 8:01pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Abdul19
Brilliant goal by Elliot Embleton!

It was 👍
Posted by: Teestogreen, May 21, 2021, 8:02pm; Reply: 35
Absolute worldly by Embleton - Oxford just conceded again
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 21, 2021, 8:28pm; Reply: 36

Oh how we've missed the crowd chanting "you're fcuking sh!t"  ;D
Posted by: Son of Cod, May 21, 2021, 8:29pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Teestogreen
Absolute worldly by Embleton - Oxford just conceded again

Yeau what a goal. Fair play to him. Blackpool look great again. Hopefully they do Lincoln.

Barnsley, Blackpool and Morecambe promotions would be nice. This Blackpool performance over the two legs reminds me of when we did Eastleigh en route to the Bristol Rovers final. Just totally dominant.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, May 21, 2021, 8:35pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from Son of Cod

Yeau what a goal. Fair play to him. Blackpool look great again. Hopefully they do Lincoln.

Barnsley, Blackpool and Morecambe promotions would be nice. This Blackpool performance over the two legs reminds me of when we did Eastleigh en route to the Bristol Rovers final. Just totally dominant.

Can't see Lincoln coping with Blackpool on this showing tbh.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 21, 2021, 8:38pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Son of Cod

I wouldn't write Sunderland off just yet, they hammered Lincoln 4-0 earlier on in the season.

Posted by: grimsby pete, May 21, 2021, 10:51pm; Reply: 40
Was not going to watch Blackpool v Oxford tonight but glad I changed my mind a good game to watch and plenty of goals.
Posted by: NorfolkImp, May 22, 2021, 9:17am; Reply: 41
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Can't see Lincoln coping with Blackpool on this showing tbh.

We've taken 4 pts out of 6 off them this season 3-2 and 2-2 .... but lets not get ahead of ourselves eh?

Its just hit me, there could be 6k Imps up at The SoL amongst a baying crowd of 40,000 this afternoon (sad)
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 22, 2021, 11:27am; Reply: 42
Quoted from NorfolkImp

We've taken 4 pts out of 6 off them this season 3-2 and 2-2 .... but lets not get ahead of ourselves eh?

Its just hit me, there could be 6k Imps up at The SoL amongst a baying crowd of 40,000 this afternoon (sad)

What's the current ruling? I'm sure that I read/heard somewhere that it  was half capacity or 10,000 whichever is lowest with no away fans allowed still. If so there should be 10,000 Mackems there today.
Posted by: Rick12, May 22, 2021, 11:40am; Reply: 43
Quoted from Poojah

Nice pitch. Round balls. Pre-seasons. Respectable training ground. Respectable stadium. Competent players. Fit players. Fitness coaches. Competent managers. Scouting systems. Long-term recruitment philosophies. Some kind of plan. Any kind of plan.

Good on Lincoln  though.I always like it when the underdog does well. Their first leg result against their more affluent opponents Sunderland in the first leg was a brilliant result and certainly surprised many people and went against the odds. I hope they go up to be honest .Rivals or no rivals there still a relatively  local club and its nice to see the underdog do well. Similar to Brentford. Never been in the premiership . I would love it if they beat Bournemouth this afternoon and go through to the final and win that.
Posted by: Poojah, May 22, 2021, 12:42pm; Reply: 44
Brentford just experimented with the idea of leaving no one back at a corner. Didn’t end well.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 22, 2021, 1:00pm; Reply: 45

Brentford score from a penalty to make it 1-1 (1-2)

Not sure what the Bournemouth defender did wrong there, arms in a totally natural position.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 22, 2021, 1:06pm; Reply: 46

Bournemouth down to 10 men but still ahead on aggregate, interesting.
Posted by: NorfolkImp, May 22, 2021, 1:17pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Les Brechin

What's the current ruling? I'm sure that I read/heard somewhere that it  was half capacity or 10,000 whichever is lowest with no away fans allowed still. If so there should be 10,000 Mackems there today.

Yes Les, 10k Mackems inside (which will look a bit sparse tbh) Most on their messageboard are fearing the worse and may turn on them if they don't score early doors.

Bournemouth down to 10 men but still ahead on aggregate, interesting.

Crazy game, The Cherries pressing the self-destruct button here ... especially the keeper who has bags of top flight experience.

What do you think of their multi-coloured seats PP, I think the new York City Stadium has something similar?

Posted by: promotion plaice, May 22, 2021, 1:19pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Yes Les, 10k Mackems inside (which will look a bit sparse tbh) Most on their messageboard are fearing the worse and may turn on them if they don't score early doors.

Crazy game, The Cherries pressing the self-destruct button here ... especially the keeper who has bags of top flight experience.

What do you think of their multi-coloured seats PP, I think the new York City Stadium has something similar?

I like them, they have the effect of making the crowd look bigger than it actually is.

Posted by: NorfolkImp, May 22, 2021, 1:58pm; Reply: 49

I like them, they have the effect of making the crowd look bigger than it actually is.

Yeah I think I read somewhere that was the original idea ... not keen personally, giving me a headache (or maybe that's pre-match nerves I can't decide?)  ??)
Posted by: Posh Harry, May 22, 2021, 2:42pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Yeah I think I read somewhere that was the original idea ... not keen personally, giving me a headache (or maybe that's pre-match nerves I can't decide?)  ??)

I agree. They were doing my head in. A distraction from the game. Mind you that sometimes can be a bonus!
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 22, 2021, 3:45pm; Reply: 51

Sunderland 1-0 Lincoln

After 12 minutes, game on.
Posted by: Civvy at last, May 22, 2021, 4:06pm; Reply: 52
2-2.😀
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 22, 2021, 4:06pm; Reply: 53

Get in.....2-0 (2-2)
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, May 22, 2021, 4:06pm; Reply: 54
2-0 sun land  after 33 min 2-2 aggregate
Posted by: GollyGTFC, May 22, 2021, 4:08pm; Reply: 55
Lincoln are all over the place. They need to get a grip ASAP or they'll get hammered.
Posted by: Hagrid, May 22, 2021, 4:08pm; Reply: 56
Really surprised by the Lincoln performance. Look scared to attack
Posted by: Rick12, May 22, 2021, 4:11pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from Hagrid
Probably pressure. You need characters to step up when the going gets tough and lead by example.

Posted by: GollyGTFC, May 22, 2021, 4:16pm; Reply: 58
I mean the games pointless anyway isn't it? The 2 worst play-off records in English football deciding who loses to Blackpool in the Final. Sunderland (0 promotions from 4 play-offs) v Lincoln City (0 promotions from 6 play-offs).
Posted by: GollyGTFC, May 22, 2021, 4:17pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I mean the games pointless anyway isn't it? The 2 worst play-off records in English football deciding who loses to Blackpool in the Final. Sunderland (0 promotions from 4 play-offs) v Lincoln City (0 promotions from 6 play-offs).

And Blackpool have 5 promotions from 8 previous play-off appearances.
Posted by: Rick12, May 22, 2021, 4:22pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Records are there to be broken Golly. I always go back to Spain and for so long bottle jobs on the international scene .They get a old school manager in Luis Aragones  in 2004 who changes the mindset and philosophy of their play and they go on that unprecedented treble from 2008 to 2012. I for one as well felt they never would win the world cup . Dreams do sometimes come true .

Posted by: NorfolkImp, May 22, 2021, 4:35pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from Hagrid

Stage fright, men against boys .... they’ve absolutely butchered us. Need some experience in there, Walsh & McGrandles on at half-time.

They should be out of sight tbh.
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 22, 2021, 4:37pm; Reply: 62
Poor 1st half from Lincoln. They certainly need to improve immeasurably in the 2nd half if they're going to make the final.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, May 22, 2021, 4:48pm; Reply: 63
Much better from Lincoln 2-1
Posted by: NorfolkImp, May 22, 2021, 4:49pm; Reply: 64
Get innnnnn, much better this half
Posted by: Hagrid, May 22, 2021, 4:55pm; Reply: 65
Missed penalty. But Lincoln look so much better this half
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, May 22, 2021, 4:56pm; Reply: 66
Interesting last 25 now all to play for
Posted by: Hagrid, May 22, 2021, 5:26pm; Reply: 67
Deserve to go through Lincoln. Be a good P/O final
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 22, 2021, 5:28pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from Les Brechin
Poor 1st half from Lincoln. They certainly need to improve immeasurably in the 2nd half if they're going to make the final.

And so they did. Well done Lincoln.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, May 22, 2021, 5:28pm; Reply: 69
Cmon blackpool
Posted by: Hagrid, May 22, 2021, 5:31pm; Reply: 70
Pisses me off. They’ve done everything that we didn’t and are reaping the rewards
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, May 22, 2021, 6:06pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from Hagrid
Pisses me off. They’ve done everything that we didn’t and are reaping the rewards

They gambled on  the Cowleys who did a great job tbf, if they had flopped they probably would be non league with us that one appointment changed their direction. In twenty years gtfc haven’t had one successful appointment I don’t acknowledge anything in NL as a success
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 22, 2021, 7:51pm; Reply: 72
Well done to the Gimps. Good luck against Blackpool.

(God, that was difficult to write)
Posted by: Abdul19, May 22, 2021, 8:22pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Don't Brentford have 0 from 9?
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, May 22, 2021, 8:36pm; Reply: 74
At least we started well winning our first play-off final.  
Posted by: NorfolkImp, May 22, 2021, 9:20pm; Reply: 75
No doubt we’ll be underdogs next Sunday v Blackpool. They’ve won 6/6 Play-Offs whereas ours is 0/6.

Still can’t believe we turned that round in the 2nd half, showed immense character didn’t we? Only 4k tickets allowed is a bleedin’ disgrace though, I reckon we’d have matched your 35k from back in 90’s v Bournemouth (or was it Northampton?)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 22, 2021, 10:00pm; Reply: 76
4K is better than your home attendances for most of the last 20 years though.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, May 22, 2021, 10:06pm; Reply: 77
I see Elliot Embleton is now eligible to play in the play-off final, makes me wonder if Sunderland management kinda regret loaning him out to Blackpool, especially with no recall clause lol.

‘Different class’, ‘better than our entire midfield’ – plenty of sunderland fans react to 22-y/o loan star’s key moment for blackpool vs oxford united.

Link >> https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/different-class-better-than-our-entire-midfield-plenty-of-sunderland-fans-react-to-22-y-o-loan-stars-key-moment-for-blackpool-vs-oxford-united/
Posted by: Abdul19, May 22, 2021, 10:24pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
I see Elliot Embleton is now eligible to play in the play-off final, makes me wonder if Sunderland management kinda regret loaning him out to Blackpool, especially with no recall clause lol.

Can't recall half season loans anyway.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, May 22, 2021, 11:17pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from Abdul19
Can't recall half season loans anyway.
Yeah, I read an article the other week saying Lee Johnson was looking at recalling him.

Subject to the proviso that the duration of a Standard Loan must be the time between two Transfer Windows, Standard Loans can be for half a Season or a full Season. Any recall clause requiring the early termination of a Standard Loan can only be included in a full Season Standard Loan and this can only be activated during the second (January) Transfer Window. Any other early termination of a Standard Loan must be by way of a mutual agreement in writing (including by way of a recall clause within the Standard Loan Agreement) between both Clubs and the Player but can only be completed after the expiry of 28 days and only during a Transfer Window.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, May 22, 2021, 11:18pm; Reply: 80
I couldn’t watch the Brentford game tonight.  They came from 2-0 down to beat 10 man Bournemouth 3-2.  

If Brentford have lost all 9 play-offs then they have a very good chance to fix that in the final.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 23, 2021, 1:04pm; Reply: 81

Latest....Morecambe 1-0 Tranmere (3-1)

Looking like Morecambe to reach the final at the moment.
Posted by: buckstown, May 23, 2021, 1:11pm; Reply: 82
Morecambe have done the business big time this season. Favourites for the drop before a ball was kicked
Posted by: Poojah, May 23, 2021, 2:30pm; Reply: 83
So Morecambe can reach the League Two play-off final whilst we can’t even stay in the division. Something seriously wrong there - nothing we didn’t already know but yet another reflection of the problem.

Credit where it’s due to Morecambe all the same - great achievement.
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 23, 2021, 2:35pm; Reply: 84
Quoted from Poojah
So Morecambe can reach the League Two play-off final whilst we can’t even stay in the division. Something seriously wrong there - nothing we didn’t already know but yet another reflection of the problem.

Credit where it’s due to Morecambe all the same - great achievement.

They clearly employed a manager who knew what he was doing.
Posted by: Poojah, May 23, 2021, 2:45pm; Reply: 85
Quoted from arryarryarry

Derek Adams is an absolute mentalist - apparently they had 5 (FIVE) pre-season games. The madness knows no bounds.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 23, 2021, 6:47pm; Reply: 86
Forest Green 2 up inside 8 minutes v Newport. 2-2 agg. Matt and Amond both playing.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 23, 2021, 6:55pm; Reply: 87
Quoted from arryarryarry

They clearly have a board who know how to make the right managerial appointment  ;)
Posted by: Poojah, May 23, 2021, 8:04pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

They clearly have a board who know how to make the right managerial appointment  ;)

One of the keys to not making mistakes in managerial appointments is limiting how often you have to make them. Morecambe appointed Sammy McIlroy in May 2006 and in that time they’ve had 3 permanent managers - McIlroy, Jim Bentley and now Derek Adams. We’ve been through 11 of the cúnts (most of them quite literally) in that same period, 12 if you count Hurst’s second coming.

We are managerially promiscuous to say the least. If GTFC were a girl, we’d be that cheap skank off the estate named Mercedes but who everyone knows simply as ‘the sperm bank’. Every bloke in the community has either been there or has got a mate who has, and all but one of them caught the clap.
Posted by: Ashby mariner, May 23, 2021, 8:06pm; Reply: 89
What a goal by 42 year old Ellison
Posted by: Poojah, May 23, 2021, 8:11pm; Reply: 90
Quoted from Ashby mariner
What a goal by 42 year old Ellison

Amazing how he keeps going to be fair - I remember him being on trial here under Lennie Lawrence ffs. Absolutely ancient in football terms but still doing the business.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 23, 2021, 8:11pm; Reply: 91

Latest...FGR 3-2 Newport (3-4)

Newport back in charge.

Posted by: Garth, May 23, 2021, 8:25pm; Reply: 92
Not any more, going into extra time
Posted by: Abdul19, May 23, 2021, 8:37pm; Reply: 93
Fantastic game, this. Loads of goals, pissing it down, Swampy from the Newbury bypass protests in the posh seats - lovely stuff.
Posted by: Garth, May 23, 2021, 8:55pm; Reply: 94
Amond is on the way out by the looks of it
Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, May 23, 2021, 8:57pm; Reply: 95
Forest green could teach Tom Daily a thing or two on how to dive
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 23, 2021, 9:04pm; Reply: 96

Newport score to take the lead again at the death  8)
Posted by: Garth, May 23, 2021, 9:07pm; Reply: 97
Or one more chance at Wembley
Posted by: GollyGTFC, May 23, 2021, 9:12pm; Reply: 98
Bizarre. The 2 clubs with caretaker managers both lost in the L2 Play-off Semi-Finals.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 23, 2021, 10:22pm; Reply: 99
Looking forward to Ellison v Adams.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 24, 2021, 9:26am; Reply: 100
Two things came out of these play offs for me as a neutral.

One is that we should stop looking at age as the first consideration in every new signing. Just to change the saying a bit - if they’re good enough, they’re young enough.

The other is that Morecambe nearly got automatic promotion and have have reached the Wembley final with the lowest budget in the EFL.
Posted by: Mallyner, May 24, 2021, 9:27am; Reply: 101
I notice that Jamille Matt scored an 87th minute goal for FRG to take the game into extra time; and apparently his 17th goal of the season. I assume that we didn't try to sign him after his loan period ended, although he did look like Bambi on ice on many occasions, I recall him scoring the goal that kept us in the football league that year; and also a superb towering header from a free kick or corner, against I think it was Barnet. Which showed that he had something about him.  :-/
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 24, 2021, 9:30am; Reply: 102
In fairness to whoever made the decision to not sign Matt, he was bloody garbage when he was here.
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 24, 2021, 9:30am; Reply: 103
Quoted from Abdul19
Looking forward to Ellison v Adams.

Absolutely nailed on for Ellison to score a late winner.
Posted by: toontown, May 24, 2021, 12:17pm; Reply: 104
Quoted from diehardmariner
In fairness to whoever made the decision to not sign Matt, he was bloody garbage when he was here.

Absolutely! You can't sign every shite player who scores one good goal, on the basis they nay therefore not be shite. Or else matt green will be earning another contract thanks to his goal against Chelsea lol
Posted by: GollyGTFC, May 24, 2021, 12:26pm; Reply: 105
Quoted from Mallyner
I notice that Jamille Matt scored an 87th minute goal for FRG to take the game into extra time; and apparently his 17th goal of the season. I assume that we didn't try to sign him after his loan period ended, although he did look like Bambi on ice on many occasions, I recall him scoring the goal that kept us in the football league that year; and also a superb towering header from a free kick or corner, against I think it was Barnet. Which showed that he had something about him.  :-/

It's amazing what Matt can do when he receiving the ball high up the pitch and is being supplied with chances. He was feeding off scraps for a year at Town and receiving the ball 40-50 yards from goal.
Posted by: Son of Cod, May 24, 2021, 1:06pm; Reply: 106
Quoted from NorfolkImp
No doubt we’ll be underdogs next Sunday v Blackpool. They’ve won 6/6 Play-Offs whereas ours is 0/6.

Blackpool lost to West Ham in the 2012 Championship playoff final.

Two things came out of these play offs for me as a neutral.

One is that we should stop looking at age as the first consideration in every new signing. Just to change the saying a bit - if they’re good enough, they’re young enough.

The other is that Morecambe nearly got automatic promotion and have have reached the Wembley final with the lowest budget in the EFL.

Has that Morecambe lowest budget thing been confirmed? I thought they'd put a bit more money into it this season. Certainly looks like it from their squad, and I'm not sure Derek Adams would have gone there with the budget sizes Bentley used to operate on. They obviously haven't spent loads and loads and it's still a great achievement but I was of the impression that it wasn't Little Morecambe on quite the same scale.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, May 24, 2021, 1:23pm; Reply: 107
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Quoted from GollyGTFC
And Blackpool have 5 promotions from 8 previous play-off appearances.

Correction...

Brentford have the worst play-off record in English football. This season is their 10th play-off campaign and they are yet to win promotion through that route.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, May 24, 2021, 1:25pm; Reply: 108
Quoted from Son of Cod

Yes. Blackpool have had 8 previous play-off campaigns...

5 x Promoted
1 x Losing Finalist
2 x Lost in Semi-Finals

So they have a 77.7% success rate in Semi-Finals after beating Oxford. And they currently have an 83.3% Final win rate.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 24, 2021, 5:37pm; Reply: 109
Quoted from Son of Cod

Has that Morecambe lowest budget thing been confirmed? I thought they'd put a bit more money into it this season. Certainly looks like it from their squad, and I'm not sure Derek Adams would have gone there with the budget sizes Bentley used to operate on. They obviously haven't spent loads and loads and it's still a great achievement but I was of the impression that it wasn't Little Morecambe on quite the same scale.

I am just going on the report in today’s Times. I haven’t researched it.

Posted by: Les Brechin, May 24, 2021, 6:39pm; Reply: 110
Bit of a double whammy for me yesterday.

Following Town's relegation, Brechin City were relegated to The Scottish Non-League system after losing their play-off tie.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 24, 2021, 7:49pm; Reply: 111
Quoted from Les Brechin

Following Town's relegation, Brechin City were relegated to The Scottish Non-League system after losing their play-off tie.

Talking of which, it’s sad we don’t get any updates on Auchinleck Talbot any more, for obvious reasons.
Posted by: Davec, May 24, 2021, 8:44pm; Reply: 112
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Talking of which, it’s sad we don’t get any updates on Auchinleck Talbot any more, for obvious reasons.

It is, I do miss Jock Dock Tower's updates on Auchinleck Talbot, and this board I feel is a much lesser place without him.
Posted by: NorfolkImp, May 24, 2021, 9:31pm; Reply: 113
Quoted from Les Brechin

Yes, very sad for Brechin .... always liked them as a kid because they sounded similar to Lincoln to me, and we lived on Glebe Park in later years.

A car load of us went up to watch The Imps in a pre-season friendly at Forfar in the late 90’s, but stopped off for a nosey at Brechin, Arbroath & Montrose beforehand.

So off they drop into oblivion with East Stirling & Berwick Rangers 😩
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 25, 2021, 7:26am; Reply: 114
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Yes, very sad for Brechin .... always liked them as a kid because they sounded similar to Lincoln to me, and we lived on Glebe Park in later years.

A car load of us went up to watch The Imps in a pre-season friendly at Forfar in the late 90’s, but stopped off for a nosey at Brechin, Arbroath & Montrose beforehand.

So off they drop into oblivion with East Stirling & Berwick Rangers 😩

It was only 3 seasons ago they were in The Championship. I saw them that season lose at Livingstone's brilliantly named Toni Macaroni Arena. They didn't win a single game that season and successive relegations saw them back in the basement division. It was only Covid that saved them from the relegation play-off last season.

They will play in The Highland League next season.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, May 25, 2021, 9:24am; Reply: 115
Quoted from Les Brechin

It was only 3 seasons ago they were in The Championship. I saw them that season lose at Livingstone's brilliantly named Toni Macaroni Arena. They didn't win a single game that season and successive relegations saw them back in the basement division. It was only Covid that saved them from the relegation play-off last season.

They will play in The Highland League next season.

They haven't got an ex-non-chairman call John McFenty have they ?     ;D ;D ;D

Posted by: Poojah, May 25, 2021, 10:06am; Reply: 116
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

They haven't got an ex-non-chairman call John McFenty have they ?     ;D ;D ;D

Jock McFenty. Former owner of a local haggis factory, self-made gazillionaire and renowned fashionista. He is the self-proclaimed club saviour but has been inexplicably pilloried as an 'eejit bawbag' by supporters ungrateful for the club's supersonic fall from grace.

Understand he has family round this way.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/VVT4mSX/jock-mcfenty.png[/img]
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 25, 2021, 4:42pm; Reply: 117
Quoted from Poojah

Jock McFenty. Former owner of a local haggis factory, self-made gazillionaire and renowned fashionista. He is the self-proclaimed club saviour but has been inexplicably pilloried as an 'eejit bawbag' by supporters ungrateful for the club's supersonic fall from grace.

Understand he has family round this way.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/VVT4mSX/jock-mcfenty.png[/img]

And this will get my gold star tomorrow!  ;D
Posted by: GollyGTFC, May 29, 2021, 3:11pm; Reply: 118
Swansea should be down to 10 men. Grimes with a terrible challenge on 5 minutes. Doubt he would have got away with that if there was VAR in operation.

...penalty to Brentford...
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 29, 2021, 3:12pm; Reply: 119

Brentford v Swansea (Championship play-off final)

Swansea player lucky to not get a straight red early on.

Brentford penalty 8th minute.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, May 29, 2021, 3:13pm; Reply: 120
Freddie Woodman obviously not as good as his dad at saving penalties at Wembley.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 29, 2021, 3:13pm; Reply: 121

1-0 Brentford.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, May 29, 2021, 3:16pm; Reply: 122
Didn't want to spoil the occasion
Posted by: GollyGTFC, May 29, 2021, 3:25pm; Reply: 123
2-0...

And then Ivan Toney hits the crossbar with the ball bouncing down on the line and out.

Swansea all over the place.
Posted by: Marinerdan, May 29, 2021, 3:46pm; Reply: 124
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Freddie Woodman obviously not as good as his dad at saving penalties at Wembley.

Looks like his mum’s cut his hair too.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 29, 2021, 5:04pm; Reply: 125

Brentford finally reach the promised land.

I didn't realise Toney had been out on loan at Scunny.
Posted by: RichMariner, May 29, 2021, 5:08pm; Reply: 126
Brentford in the PL, blimey. As a kid growing up watching football in the 90s, they were a bit of a nothing team. Tbh I thought their time in the Championship would run out eventually, never thought they’d take this route out of it!
Posted by: Teestogreen, May 29, 2021, 5:24pm; Reply: 127
Same here - Brentford always Division -3 in the old days.
Good luck to them and their supporters - bet they can’t believe it
Posted by: Squinter, May 29, 2021, 5:30pm; Reply: 128
Quoted from Teestogreen
Same here - Brentford always Division -3 in the old days.
Good luck to them and their supporters - bet they can’t believe it

Last time they where in the top division they were playing against us !!
Posted by: Teestogreen, May 29, 2021, 5:41pm; Reply: 129
Think they mentioned 1946 - Grimsby tried hard to get back in around the 1980s but Brentford only in the last 10 years.
Always thought these 2 clubs were on a par but the divergence is currently very stark 😥
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, May 29, 2021, 5:41pm; Reply: 130
Quoted from Squinter

Last time they where in the top division they were playing against us !!

Another that we could regard as a similar-sized club back in my youth, reach the prem - like Bournemouth. They've a new stadium, 20k, that will be full every week and they are now a size of club that we can never aspire to be without a new ground. Here's a nostaglia trip from when we were at the same level with similar crowds etc
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIc8c9H4R2A[/url]

Posted by: Nelly GTFC, May 29, 2021, 5:47pm; Reply: 131
See this on BBC Sport app.

[tweet]1398672143936901120[/tweet]
Posted by: tashee69, May 29, 2021, 6:15pm; Reply: 132
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Went to the Bromley v Notts County game. Andy Woodman seems to have got Bromley going again. They played some nice stuff and should have won by more.
Posted by: Teestogreen, May 29, 2021, 6:18pm; Reply: 133
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Another that we could regard as a similar-sized club back in my youth, reach the prem - like Bournemouth. They've a new stadium, 20k, that will be full every week and they are now a size of club that we can never aspire to be without a new ground. Here's a nostaglia trip from when we were at the same level with similar crowds etc

I was at that game - remember the Lew Chatterley and Dave Worthington strikes. Not sure how Clive Wigginton gets mistaken for Phil Hubbard though. Alan Gauden - what a gem for £5000.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, May 29, 2021, 6:37pm; Reply: 134
Quoted from Teestogreen

I was at that game - remember the Lew Chatterley and Dave Worthington strikes. Not sure how Clive Wigginton gets mistaken for Phil Hubbard though. Alan Gauden - what a gem for £5000.

I don't think I was. It was a pre-Christmas game - mother would have insisted we all went shopping. I remember getting into a right strop one time when my mum insisted on us going shopping instead on the day of a Scunny game - in turn I insisted on putting my scarf out of the window even though we weren't going to the game and she kept telling me to pull it in. My Dad was going for the quiet life...

Interesting looking at the packed Osmond - I checked the attendance it was 8,934 so not that many for the old, nearly all terracing, BP - then I twigged - in those days everyone changed ends at half time - the Pontoon and half the Barrat would have been empty

Posted by: cmackenzie4, May 29, 2021, 7:08pm; Reply: 135
[quote=231]

Thanks for sharing this.

I would have been 2 at the time, I’d have been living in Duke street, that third goal was just stunning, my first ever game watching Town was in 1976.

Posted by: ginnywings, May 29, 2021, 10:45pm; Reply: 136
That was my first season as a regular at BP. Remember that Chatterley goal like it was yesterday.

Thought it would always be like that.
Posted by: Poojah, May 29, 2021, 10:56pm; Reply: 137
Quoted from cmackenzie4
[quote=231]

Thanks for sharing this.

I would have been 2 at the time, I’d have been living in Duke street, that third goal was just stunning, my first ever game watching Town was in 1976.

You don’t even have to go back as far as the 70s. From 2000 up to our first non-league relegation in 2010, their average attendance was a fraction over 500 larger than ours. We spent the first three seasons in the league above them, and five below them in total, so I’d argue it evens out. Particularly when you consider we only finished in the top half of any division in one of those seasons.

Brentford are exceptional by the way, let’s not make light of their achievement. What they have done is not easy. But anyone who says that this club can never aspire to be anything more than a League One also ran is wrong in my opinion. Granted, we’d all love to be a League One also ran right now, but there are many chapters to this club’s history, and future, and we should never unduly write ourselves off.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 29, 2021, 11:08pm; Reply: 138

Next up.....Blackpool v Lincoln.

I'll be watching, come on Blackpool.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, May 29, 2021, 11:10pm; Reply: 139
Quoted from Poojah

You don’t even have to go back as far as the 70s. From 2000 up to our first non-league relegation in 2010, their average attendance was a fraction over 500 larger than ours. We spent the first three seasons in the league above them, and five below them in total, so I’d argue it evens out. Particularly when you consider we only finished in the top half of any division in one of those seasons.

Brentford are exceptional by the way, let’s not make light of their achievement. What they have done is not easy. But anyone who says that this club can never aspire to be anything more than a League One also ran is wrong in my opinion. Granted, we’d all love to be a League One also ran right now, but there are many chapters to this club’s history, and future, and we should never unduly write ourselves off.

Interesting - if you account for the larger away followings at GP (I'm sure they would have been) it would be even closer or parity.

With the combination of the Premiership cash plus the stadium they have now made a quantum leap - which medium-sized London clubs have been able to do when they have improved or moved stadium. Going back to the late 70s early 80s you could argue that Town were as big as Fulham, Millwall and Charlton! Ok so we had 3 exceptional seasons on the trot, but none of those clubs would have averaged 11k at home in Division 3 apart from in a promotion season.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 30, 2021, 2:50pm; Reply: 140

Elliot Embleton starts for Blackpool

Blackpool v Lincoln City / League One Play-Off Final  / 15:00

Sky Sports Main Event / Sky Sports Football / Sky Sports Ultra HD

Anyone watching?
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 30, 2021, 3:03pm; Reply: 141

Blackpool OG inside a minute ffs.

Posted by: aldi_01, May 30, 2021, 3:12pm; Reply: 142
Anyone fancy letting Blackpool’s defence they’ve got to join in...
Posted by: Wrights35, May 30, 2021, 3:36pm; Reply: 143
Get in Blackpool!!!!
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, May 30, 2021, 3:42pm; Reply: 144
40 mins in 1-1 all Blackpool now
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 30, 2021, 4:12pm; Reply: 145

2-1 Blackpool   8)
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 30, 2021, 4:13pm; Reply: 146
Holloway strikes shows him sat by himself in the stand and Blackpool score !!!!!
Posted by: Hagrid, May 30, 2021, 4:13pm; Reply: 147
Get in
Posted by: Hagrid, May 30, 2021, 4:23pm; Reply: 148
Johnson a Very good player on Lincolns right

Morton comes on
Posted by: Incognito, May 30, 2021, 4:24pm; Reply: 149
Feel Blackpool deserve it so far. Lincoln the poorer team so far.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 30, 2021, 4:25pm; Reply: 150

Lincoln not time wasting and slowing the game down anymore, funny that.
Posted by: rancido, May 30, 2021, 4:36pm; Reply: 151

Lincoln not time wasting and slowing the game down anymore, funny that.

Probably because the whingeing Cowleys have gone.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, May 30, 2021, 4:40pm; Reply: 152
Agent Embleton doing a fine job to date. 😁. Developed well with us.

Lincoln “scored” far too early.
Posted by: pizzzza, May 30, 2021, 4:44pm; Reply: 153
Quoted from grimsby pete
Holloway strikes shows him sat by himself in the stand and Blackpool score !!!!!

Or maybe he has been lined up for the Lincoln job...
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, May 30, 2021, 4:54pm; Reply: 154
Best team won
Posted by: Hagrid, May 30, 2021, 4:55pm; Reply: 155
Id worry for Lincoln in that their best players are all on loan
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 30, 2021, 4:55pm; Reply: 156

8)  8)  8)
Posted by: aldi_01, May 30, 2021, 4:56pm; Reply: 157
Lincoln just didn’t turn up...in truth they never laid a glove on Blackpool. Huff and puff, ironically, looked like pre-Appleton.

Scored early on from an OG but had little after that...
Posted by: pizzzza, May 30, 2021, 4:56pm; Reply: 158
Gimps not good enough today, shame that  8)
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, May 30, 2021, 4:58pm; Reply: 159
Well done Blackpool. Pleased about that, especially when you read them smug **** comments on the Lincoln City forum about our demise.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 30, 2021, 4:59pm; Reply: 160
Bad weekend for people who support Lincoln and Man City.
Posted by: AndyGTFC, May 30, 2021, 5:03pm; Reply: 161
Lincoln lost to a far better team.
Posted by: pontoonlew, May 30, 2021, 5:06pm; Reply: 162
Nice for Lincoln fans to have some misery given that most of their fans have never experienced any in the 4 years they’ve supported them.

Hope they’re all absolutely gutted and it ruins a nice weekend
Posted by: MarinerDevil, May 30, 2021, 5:07pm; Reply: 163
Delighted for Blackpool fans after what they've endured in the last decade.  Pleased for Elliot as well; he's going places.

Don't know how Lincoln will fare going forward but they've had another exceptional season with a talented manager.  I believe they said last year that they'd have to develop players moving forward to compete, starting with the appointment of Appleton.  That project seems to have started very well, will be interesting to see if it pays off in the future.

Still, at least we won't have to endure Man City fans gloating on here tonight. ;)
Posted by: Abdul19, May 30, 2021, 5:09pm; Reply: 164
FACT: Blackpool's keeper today was in goal for Wrexham when Richard Brodie smashed the ball out of the HA9 postcode.
Posted by: immariner, May 30, 2021, 5:12pm; Reply: 165
Living in Lincoln, all I can say is, thank fck for that. Truth be told, I'd like to see all Lincolnshire sides doing well, as long as we're ruling the roost. Hopefully in the not-too-distant future we might be.
Posted by: Teestogreen, May 30, 2021, 5:18pm; Reply: 166
I wonder if Sunderland consider Elliot Embleton a contender to get in their team yet?   ;)
Posted by: TAGG, May 30, 2021, 5:21pm; Reply: 167
Fuckin Hollowhead has to be in the male masturbator.
Posted by: TonySmith, May 30, 2021, 5:22pm; Reply: 168
  I enjoyed the game. Blackpool were the better team and definitely deserved it.  Main takeaway for me though : I wouldn't want to arm wrestle with Michael Appleton!
Posted by: moosey_club, May 30, 2021, 5:22pm; Reply: 169
Norfolkimp......Norfolkimp.....hellooooo.....

Oh...... he's disappeared.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 30, 2021, 5:24pm; Reply: 170
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Well done Blackpool. Pleased about that, especially when you read them smug **** comments on the Lincoln City forum about our demise.

This

I've seen some of the comments so happy days.

Posted by: Limerick Mariner, May 30, 2021, 5:48pm; Reply: 171
I know many Town fans regard Scunny as the main rivals - geographically closer, and coming from Wrawby / Brigg, it was Grimsby v Scunthorpe at school for me, but actually, Scunthorpe are the Johnny come Lately club of the Lincs 3 and will never displace Town as the big club of North / NE Lincs. Lincoln are different - our shared history goes back to both being founder members of Division 2 in 1892. They have a huge geographic catchment - nothing to the south until Peterborough, it's a growing city and getting wealthier. I could have seen us struggling to compete with them long-term if they'd gone up ( but not permanently in their shadow like that feckin embarrassment of a banner they produced!). We've never been two divisions below them until now, thankfully it's not going to be three. Let's start closing the gap next season...
Posted by: lukeo, May 30, 2021, 6:12pm; Reply: 172
Cheers Lincoln! Won £23 from that game. Put £10 in a fruity pressed spin at £2 a spin by mistake. Walked out with £150 ☺
Definitely spending even more money in the club shop this week once I find out children's size ratios 😂
Posted by: Teestogreen, May 30, 2021, 8:33pm; Reply: 173
Grimsby Town club president - John Elsom - is from Wrawby / Brigg as well Limerick (and former Leicester City chairman) - would give a penny for his thoughts on the last 15 seasons!
Posted by: hampshiremariner, May 30, 2021, 9:12pm; Reply: 174
I could have easily been a Lincoln supporter! Living in Skegness there was a regular Trent bus that went from the Lawn Car Park every Saturday morning and bound for Nott'm. It stopped in Lincoln and there was a return bus back at about 6.30pm. You could catch a direct train to Grimsby from Burgh station but you had to catch a service bus to get to Burgh. But, but by accident, I learnt that a shopkeeper I knew in Skegness was driving to Grimsby one March Saturday in 1958 to watch them play Sheffield Utd. The game was billed as the comeback of Tommy Briggs. I unashamedly begged a lift and attended the game. Town lost 3-1 but I was hooked.  He was a great bloke and paid for me to go in, plus tea and cake in a cafe somewhere in Cleethorpes afterwards while waiting for the traffic heading out of town to die down! Great memories for me.
Posted by: friskneymariner, May 30, 2021, 9:36pm; Reply: 175
About the same time I was travelling from Skegness to home games with my dad,sometimes by car much usually by train, travelled to Firsby caught the Kings Cross to Cleethorpes express which was hauled by steam engine,always hoped it was one of Immingham's Britannias .Loved the excitement of Firsby station now long gone,but every time I go past it I still recall that excitement I felt as an 8 year old.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, May 30, 2021, 9:39pm; Reply: 176
My dad said that in the 1930s, when we were in the Prem equivalent, buses used to go from as far as Boston and Skegness to Grimsby home games.  Those were the days.  
Posted by: Posh Harry, May 30, 2021, 10:57pm; Reply: 177
Quoted from hampshiremariner
I could have easily been a Lincoln supporter! Living in Skegness there was a regular Trent bus that went from the Lawn Car Park every Saturday morning and bound for Nott'm. It stopped in Lincoln and there was a return bus back at about 6.30pm. You could catch a direct train to Grimsby from Burgh station but you had to catch a service bus to get to Burgh. But, but by accident, I learnt that a shopkeeper I knew in Skegness was driving to Grimsby one March Saturday in 1958 to watch them play Sheffield Utd. The game was billed as the comeback of Tommy Briggs. I unashamedly begged a lift and attended the game. Town lost 3-1 but I was hooked.  He was a great bloke and paid for me to go in, plus tea and cake in a cafe somewhere in Cleethorpes afterwards while waiting for the traffic heading out of town to die down! Great memories for me.

I shiver at the thought but I also could have been a Lincoln fan. Dad game me the choice of who I wanted to see and it happened to be the day we beat Sheff Utd 4-0 to win the championship. As it was a big game I choose town and was hooked from that day forward

UTFM
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, May 31, 2021, 12:00am; Reply: 178
Quoted from Teestogreen
Grimsby Town club president - John Elsom - is from Wrawby / Brigg as well Limerick (and former Leicester City chairman) - would give a penny for his thoughts on the last 15 seasons!
I see he's a bit younger than my dad was - probably knew him if he went to Brigg Grammar...

Posted by: Limerick Mariner, May 31, 2021, 12:02am; Reply: 179
Quoted from Posh Harry

I shiver at the thought but I also could have been a Lincoln fan. Dad game me the choice of who I wanted to see and it happened to be the day we beat Sheff Utd 4-0 to win the championship. As it was a big game I choose town and was hooked from that day forward

UTFM

Now that's hardly a choice is it...

Posted by: NorfolkImp, May 31, 2021, 10:57am; Reply: 180
Quoted from moosey_club
Norfolkimp......Norfolkimp.....hellooooo.....

Oh...... he's disappeared.

Apologies, been a tad busy .... in hindsight, its been a fantastic season without the cherry on top. Saturday night hurt far more than last night tbh. Both Chelsea & Blackpool were the better sides on the night/day so no complaints from me, as the future is bright on both counts.

Now then, Hillsborough or The Walks Stadium ... which do I prefer visiting? ;)
Posted by: NorfolkImp, May 31, 2021, 11:12am; Reply: 181
Quoted from Abdul19
Bad weekend for people who support Lincoln and Man City.

Can I call Sunderland a credible rival now, seeing as we've played them 7 times in 2 years with a W2 D1 L3 record ... as we hardly ever play Town these days?
Posted by: Teestogreen, May 31, 2021, 2:52pm; Reply: 182
I see he's a bit younger than my dad was - probably knew him if he went to Brigg Grammar...

You’re not my brother are you? 🤙  
Knew Wrawby like the back of my hand.
Eh but Kevin Ellison - what a game for him.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 31, 2021, 3:21pm; Reply: 183
Morecambe keeper looks all over the shop
Posted by: Abdul19, May 31, 2021, 3:21pm; Reply: 184
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Can I call Sunderland a credible rival now

If you like!

[img]https://media.giphy.com/media/PYEGoZXABBMuk/giphy.gif[/img]
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 31, 2021, 3:23pm; Reply: 185

I bet the Newport fans wish VAR was in operation, looked like a clear penalty by the Morecambe keeper.
Posted by: mariner91, May 31, 2021, 3:25pm; Reply: 186
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Can I call Sunderland a credible rival now, seeing as we've played them 7 times in 2 years with a W2 D1 L3 record ... as we hardly ever play Town these days?

Who the feck cares? Totally bizarre behaviour to spend so much time on here considering we ‘hardly ever play Town these days’.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 31, 2021, 3:38pm; Reply: 187

Highlight so far, the flag falls apart.

Posted by: The Yard Dog, May 31, 2021, 4:03pm; Reply: 188

Highlight so far, the flag falls apart.

Was Fenty involved?
Posted by: Mayaman, May 31, 2021, 4:18pm; Reply: 189
Podge is Dorian Grey.  He looks younger than when he was with us
Posted by: NorfolkImp, May 31, 2021, 4:24pm; Reply: 190
Quoted from mariner91

Who the feck cares? Totally bizarre behaviour to spend so much time on here considering we ‘hardly ever play Town these days’.

Well moosey_club was asking where I was .... so just being polite  :)

Posted by: promotion plaice, May 31, 2021, 5:08pm; Reply: 191

Poorest play-off game for me but I don't suppose the winner will care.

Morecambe 0-0 Newport, extra time being played.
Posted by: Teestogreen, May 31, 2021, 5:22pm; Reply: 192
Morecambe 1-0
Posted by: Abdul19, May 31, 2021, 5:24pm; Reply: 193
Never a pen, but slotted away nicely
Posted by: Perkins, May 31, 2021, 5:25pm; Reply: 194
Madley has got to be the worst referee ever. He should never have been allowed back into the game  
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 31, 2021, 5:26pm; Reply: 195

I'd feel robbed if I was a Newport fan, deffo penalty for Newport in the first half that wasn't given and that one for Morecambe was just outside the box.
Posted by: Teestogreen, May 31, 2021, 5:28pm; Reply: 196
Quoted from Perkins
Madley has got to be the worst referee ever. He should never have been allowed back into the game  

Agreed - his decisions have been poor all through this game - for both sides - and he just laughs it off. Not a patch on Michael Oliver.
Posted by: Mayaman, May 31, 2021, 5:36pm; Reply: 197
Quoted from Abdul19
Never a pen, but slotted away nicely

Wasn't a great pen. Shouldn't have been given.

Posted by: promotion plaice, May 31, 2021, 5:38pm; Reply: 198

Full Time....Morecambe 1-0 Newport.

Morecambe promoted to League One.

Morecambe the club with the lowest budget in the EFL this season.

Just shows what can be achieved when a club is run properly.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, May 31, 2021, 5:40pm; Reply: 199
Imagine  us being 2 divisions below morecambe .. ffs
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, May 31, 2021, 5:46pm; Reply: 200
Huge League 1 derby v Fleetwood next season - Lincs equivalent would be Boston v Skegness as a League 1 game...
Posted by: moosey_club, May 31, 2021, 5:55pm; Reply: 201
Huge League 1 derby v Fleetwood next season - Lincs equivalent would be Boston v Skegness as a League 1 game...

Derby v Fleetwood a derby ??!! Has one of them relocated
Posted by: moosey_club, May 31, 2021, 6:03pm; Reply: 202
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Well moosey_club was asking where I was .... so just being polite  :)

Took your time.....I wonder if you would have been back a bit quicker if you had won? 🤔
Glad you lost , dont want your new support getting even loftier opinions of themselves.
While I am envious of your recent successes on and off the pitch which are made more galling by our own failures in the same time frame thats as far as goodwill goes for me.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 31, 2021, 6:09pm; Reply: 203
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Imagine  us being 2 divisions below morecambe .. ffs

We have to take it as a positive. If Morecambe can do this, so can we.

Posted by: Teestogreen, May 31, 2021, 6:21pm; Reply: 204
Bring me sunshine ... bring me smiles

... in this world in which live - there should be more happiness

.. bring me sunshine - bring me love .. ❤️❤️❤️
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, May 31, 2021, 6:50pm; Reply: 205
I did not see the game.  But the BBC report was very scathing about the 2 pens.  Newport were very hard done by.  Just like our final against Bristol Rovers.

When your luck is out it is just not your day.  
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, May 31, 2021, 7:09pm; Reply: 206
Quoted from Teestogreen
Bring me sunshine ... bring me smiles

... in this world in which live - there should be more happiness

.. bring me sunshine - bring me love .. ❤️❤️❤️

Of course, he was a big Luton fan. I vaguely recall a big fuss about him coming to BP for the League Cup game in 73...

Posted by: Teestogreen, May 31, 2021, 7:34pm; Reply: 207
Anhhaarrssnal
Posted by: Teestogreen, May 31, 2021, 7:34pm; Reply: 208
Quoted from Teestogreen
Aaarrssnal

Posted by: joe56, May 31, 2021, 7:43pm; Reply: 209
Quoted from friskneymariner
About the same time I was travelling from Skegness to home games with my dad,sometimes by car much usually by train, travelled to Firsby caught the Kings Cross to Cleethorpes express which was hauled by steam engine,always hoped it was one of Immingham's Britannias .Loved the excitement of Firsby station now long gone,but every time I go past it I still recall that excitement I felt as an 8 year old.

I have similarly happy memories of trainspotting days around the same age . After years of the Kings Cross expresses being pulled by the uninspiring B1 workhorses, we were blessed with the Immingham Britannias: 70039 Sir Christopher Wren, 70040  Clive of India and 70041 Sir John More. We also started to get some of the same class shedded at Norwich Thorpe pulling the so-called “March Freight” including Britannia itself. Another impressive sight was the huge 9Fs flying down to London with the day’s fish delivery. I was lucky enough to see a couple of Wembley cup finals and England internationals at that time, and the train journey from Louth was a massive part of the day out.
Posted by: RichMariner, May 31, 2021, 8:51pm; Reply: 210
Bobby Madley was the ref that gave us that vital pen v Chesterfield a few years back when Jolley took over. Big call at the time, never complained, but having since seen the footage back a few times, we got lucky.

Morecambe v Accrington a 3rd tier fixture next season.

Derek Adams is a top manager, he had one poor season at Plymouth and the next thing I see is him pitching up at Morecambe. I’d have had him here in a shot- he’s way better than this level.

Apparently he’s off to Bradford now.
Posted by: Meza, May 31, 2021, 9:10pm; Reply: 211
Quoted from RichMariner
Bobby Madley was the ref that gave us that vital pen v Chesterfield a few years back when Jolley took over. Big call at the time, never complained, but having since seen the footage back a few times, we got lucky.

Morecambe v Accrington a 3rd tier fixture next season.

Derek Adams is a top manager, he had one poor season at Plymouth and the next thing I see is him pitching up at Morecambe. I’d have had him here in a shot- he’s way better than this level.

Apparently he’s off to Bradford now.

It's funny that I've read some posts on numerous different platforms all but saying Morecambe shouldnt go up as there a small club and comparing to ourselves.  Some people need to stop looking at the size of clubs nowadays and take note of who's in charge.  Derek Adams is a good manager and even I was surprised they managed to get him.  I don't understand why he'd leave (well I do money talks) but doesn't he want to carry on what he started, as a Morecambe fan I'd be gutted. If he does leave I can't see them staying up as the momentum would be lost.
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 5:18am