Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › All the play-off games
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 175 Guests

All the play-off games

This thread currently has 23,315 views. Print
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 24, 2021, 9:26am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Two things came out of these play offs for me as a neutral.

One is that we should stop looking at age as the first consideration in every new signing. Just to change the saying a bit - if they’re good enough, they’re young enough.

The other is that Morecambe nearly got automatic promotion and have have reached the Wembley final with the lowest budget in the EFL.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 211
Mallyner
May 24, 2021, 9:27am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
I notice that Jamille Matt scored an 87th minute goal for FRG to take the game into extra time; and apparently his 17th goal of the season. I assume that we didn't try to sign him after his loan period ended, although he did look like Bambi on ice on many occasions, I recall him scoring the goal that kept us in the football league that year; and also a superb towering header from a free kick or corner, against I think it was Barnet. Which showed that he had something about him.  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 211
diehardmariner
May 24, 2021, 9:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,612
Gold Stars: 538
In fairness to whoever made the decision to not sign Matt, he was bloody garbage when he was here.
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 211
diehardmariner
May 24, 2021, 9:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,612
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from Abdul19
Looking forward to Ellison v Adams.

Absolutely nailed on for Ellison to score a late winner.
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 211
toontown
May 24, 2021, 12:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,278
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from diehardmariner
In fairness to whoever made the decision to not sign Matt, he was bloody garbage when he was here.

Absolutely! You can't sign every shite player who scores one good goal, on the basis they nay therefore not be shite. Or else matt green will be earning another contract thanks to his goal against Chelsea lol
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 211
GollyGTFC
May 24, 2021, 12:26pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,962
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from Mallyner
I notice that Jamille Matt scored an 87th minute goal for FRG to take the game into extra time; and apparently his 17th goal of the season. I assume that we didn't try to sign him after his loan period ended, although he did look like Bambi on ice on many occasions, I recall him scoring the goal that kept us in the football league that year; and also a superb towering header from a free kick or corner, against I think it was Barnet. Which showed that he had something about him.  

It's amazing what Matt can do when he receiving the ball high up the pitch and is being supplied with chances. He was feeding off scraps for a year at Town and receiving the ball 40-50 yards from goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 105 - 211
Son of Cod
May 24, 2021, 1:06pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from NorfolkImp
No doubt we’ll be underdogs next Sunday v Blackpool. They’ve won 6/6 Play-Offs whereas ours is 0/6.

Blackpool lost to West Ham in the 2012 Championship playoff final.

Two things came out of these play offs for me as a neutral.

One is that we should stop looking at age as the first consideration in every new signing. Just to change the saying a bit - if they’re good enough, they’re young enough.

The other is that Morecambe nearly got automatic promotion and have have reached the Wembley final with the lowest budget in the EFL.

Has that Morecambe lowest budget thing been confirmed? I thought they'd put a bit more money into it this season. Certainly looks like it from their squad, and I'm not sure Derek Adams would have gone there with the budget sizes Bentley used to operate on. They obviously haven't spent loads and loads and it's still a great achievement but I was of the impression that it wasn't Little Morecambe on quite the same scale.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 211
GollyGTFC
May 24, 2021, 1:23pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I mean the games pointless anyway isn't it? The 2 worst play-off records in English football deciding who loses to Blackpool in the Final. Sunderland (0 promotions from 4 play-offs) v Lincoln City (0 promotions from 6 play-offs).

Quoted from GollyGTFC
And Blackpool have 5 promotions from 8 previous play-off appearances.

Correction...

Brentford have the worst play-off record in English football. This season is their 10th play-off campaign and they are yet to win promotion through that route.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 107 - 211
GollyGTFC
May 24, 2021, 1:25pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Son of Cod

Yes. Blackpool have had 8 previous play-off campaigns...

5 x Promoted
1 x Losing Finalist
2 x Lost in Semi-Finals

So they have a 77.7% success rate in Semi-Finals after beating Oxford. And they currently have an 83.3% Final win rate.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 108 - 211
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 24, 2021, 5:37pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Quoted from Son of Cod

Has that Morecambe lowest budget thing been confirmed? I thought they'd put a bit more money into it this season. Certainly looks like it from their squad, and I'm not sure Derek Adams would have gone there with the budget sizes Bentley used to operate on. They obviously haven't spent loads and loads and it's still a great achievement but I was of the impression that it wasn't Little Morecambe on quite the same scale.

I am just going on the report in today’s Times. I haven’t researched it.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 211
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › All the play-off games

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.