5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Southwark Mariner
May 7, 2021, 1:06am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,537
Gold Stars: 81
I dislike the Forest Green Chairman and I reckon he's calling for a ban on gambling sponsorship because his club is mostly sponsored by his own firm so would be unaffected.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57008733

But.... I do think the exposure gambling gets through football is extremely bad for many communities. I'd be interested to know what the new owners' thoughts are on this.
Logged Online
Private Message
KingstonMariner
May 7, 2021, 1:36am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
He can be a bit if a supercilious sharp object at times but I don’t think he’s doing this because it won’t affect his club. He’s already stood by his principles in making the club vegan, which was a bold move in a rural area like that.

I intensely dislike the gambling industry (see the Lloyd Griffith documentary for reasons why). As bad as the tobacco industry. The only reason they brought in those limits was because they were forced to and now their adverts make it appear it’s because they’re responsible corporate citizens.

I would hate it if Town were ever sponsored by a gambling company. It ruins lives.

I don’t have strong feelings on a sponsorship ban though. But clubs would soon adjust without them. Just like sport has adjusted to the ban on tobacco advertising. You would never know now that it had ever happened. Fuckem.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 47
louth_in_the_south
May 7, 2021, 5:30am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +5,552
Gold Stars: 94
When you read that the total value of bets placed with Bet365 last year was half the budget of the NHS you know something is wrong.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 47
DB
May 7, 2021, 5:42am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.54
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,879
Gold Stars: 383
Gambling is like a drug. Once hooked it is very hard to give up and soft drugs lead to hard drugs. Small bets lead to high and higher ones and then loans to bet with. It causes similar problems in families to drugs.

Authorities should treat Gambling advertising like they do Smoking adverts and ban them until late at night. As Louth put it 'all value of bets placed with Bet365 last year was half the budget of the NHS' and that was just one company.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 47
aldi_01
May 7, 2021, 5:44am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Before all this lockdown nonsense I was in my local social club one Sunday and three blokes were talking...they were on about betting, purely on football.

Initially they all predicted from their online history thing that they’d probably started with a hundred or so quid...between them, over a couple of seasons they’d spent well over 10k, pushing 20k. They’d obviously spent winnings and used them to bet again but it’s an obscene amount.

I don’t know if a ban would work or is likely to be introduced but something needs to be done. I don’t gamble and have never gambled, it’s not my thing. I don’t have an issue with folk gambling but as folk have said, it does ruin lives and is as dangerous as say drinking or smoking.

On the very odd occasion town haven’t had a game I’ve been in the pub and seen folk with their phones and betting slips just sat watching that idiot Stelling and then the games after...most of the people watching don’t really know much about football or are that bothered, it’s purely the thrill and chase of the gamble. It’s odd to me but I do think there’s a generation of people who’s football experience is based solely on betting. We’ve got a lad at work, he watches football and is always betting but says he doesn’t actually support anyone...such an alien concept.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 47
Heisenberg
May 7, 2021, 6:33am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,815
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from aldi_01
Before all this lockdown nonsense I was in my local social club one Sunday and three blokes were talking...they were on about betting, purely on football.

Initially they all predicted from their online history thing that they’d probably started with a hundred or so quid...between them, over a couple of seasons they’d spent well over 10k, pushing 20k. They’d obviously spent winnings and used them to bet again but it’s an obscene amount.

I don’t know if a ban would work or is likely to be introduced but something needs to be done. I don’t gamble and have never gambled, it’s not my thing. I don’t have an issue with folk gambling but as folk have said, it does ruin lives and is as dangerous as say drinking or smoking.

On the very odd occasion town haven’t had a game I’ve been in the pub and seen folk with their phones and betting slips just sat watching that idiot Stelling and then the games after...most of the people watching don’t really know much about football or are that bothered, it’s purely the thrill and chase of the gamble. It’s odd to me but I do think there’s a generation of people who’s football experience is based solely on betting. We’ve got a lad at work, he watches football and is always betting but says he doesn’t actually support anyone...such an alien concept.

I see what you’re saying, and it’s my stance too, I just don’t get gambling. For that reason I’m one of those who thinks everyone has choices in life, it’s time people made the right ones and simply didn’t gamble in the first place. I know that’s not a helpful way of looking at it, and it does ruin lives, but nobody is forcing anyone to put bets on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 47
forza ivano
May 7, 2021, 6:55am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,140
Gold Stars: 265
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/a35b72fb-6035-4ccc-90bc-f2a93c4d3671

Scott now does great things talking to youngsters through his work with Sporting Chance
but the effect on not only him, but his mum and dad, have been horrendous
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 47
cannylad68
May 7, 2021, 7:39am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
I agree with the sentiments here, but there are people who gamble responsibly, I'm sure Grim Rob is one of them.

Any one who is capable of being sensible can make at least £500 from all the bookie new account offers, without risking a penny, obviously a reasonable starting bank is required. A lot of effort perhaps but risk free.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 47
buckstown
May 7, 2021, 8:01am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,120
Gold Stars: 77
I get people having a bet on horses or football, it can make it fun to watch. I've had an online account for a while but it can be weeks in between bets and they're small.
My real problem is the fixed odds terminals in bookies and on mobiles. You basically play a computer that's designed to take 10% of everything you put it over time, and the turnover can be huge. I've seen people in bookies getting so angry but they keep feeding notes in at an alarming rate.
I think I'm right in saying Denise Coates the CEO of Betfair has been the highest paid executive in the UK for the last 3 years, averaging £250m a year. It's obscene and they continue to hide behind futile "controls" to "help" people. Not sure what the answer is, but banning advertising would be a start
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 47
Davec
May 7, 2021, 8:08am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Of course gambling is a problem however you need to be disciplined, you need to set yourself a strict policy to be successful and to keep it under control, you need to set a limit in which if you win you will withdraw it and stop, and if you loss reach an affordable limit then you need to stop there so you don't lose any more but any more, the hardest part is sticking to the limits as for some there is a temptation to try and win again after a good win or to try and chase back the losses.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 47
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gambling sponsorship ban in football

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.