pen penfras
May 7, 2021, 8:09am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -137
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Heisenberg

I see what you’re saying, and it’s my stance too, I just don’t get gambling. For that reason I’m one of those who thinks everyone has choices in life, it’s time people made the right ones and simply didn’t gamble in the first place. I know that’s not a helpful way of looking at it, and it does ruin lives, but nobody is forcing anyone to put bets on.

What a dinosaur you are. I agree with the sentiment that people should help themselves, but gambling plays on an in built feature of human psychology that hasn't evolved with our modern lives. It starts off as being a couple of quid and can build up, for some people, to losing their entire life savings. The attitude shouldn't be "intercourse them, they're stupid", it should be about how can we help people to gamble sensibly. Much the same as people with drink and drugs issues shouldn't be left to spiral out of control until they're dead or homeless.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 47
Les Brechin
May 7, 2021, 9:29am

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168
That would definitely have a massive impact as it seems that about half the teams in the league are sponsored somehow by a firm linked to gambling.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 47
Hagrid
May 7, 2021, 9:37am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,987
Gold Stars: 507
Quoted from Davec
Of course gambling is a problem however you need to be disciplined, you need to set yourself a strict policy to be successful and to keep it under control, you need to set a limit in which if you win you will withdraw it and stop, and if you loss reach an affordable limit then you need to stop there so you don't lose any more but any more, the hardest part is sticking to the limits as for some there is a temptation to try and win again after a good win or to try and chase back the losses.

isnt as easy as saying it though Dave, been there mate, when your saturday nights were in the bookies till 10pm you have to realise a problem

Those in the shop give you no support, But the help I recieved from a gentleman called David Willis ( local gambling councillor) and GAMcare were first rate
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 47
GollyGTFC
May 7, 2021, 9:48am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
I dislike the Forest Green Chairman and I reckon he's calling for a ban on gambling sponsorship because his club is mostly sponsored by his own firm so would be unaffected.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57008733

But.... I do think the exposure gambling gets through football is extremely bad for many communities. I'd be interested to know what the new owners' thoughts are on this.

Dale Vince is right. Football (and TV) needs to get out of bed with betting companies.

I wouldn’t buy any GTFC shirts if there was a betting company advertised on it through a deal agreed by the club.

If you want an example of the misery betting companies cause listen to the John Hartson episode of Undr the Cosh podcast. He talks very candidly about what gambling did to him. It’s quite tough listening to a “hard man” footballer talking openly about crying uncontrollably and begging his wife not to leave him.

It’s about time an EFL club took a stand and removed all Sky Bet advertising from their shirts and stadium.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 47
Mariner John
May 7, 2021, 10:01am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +629
Gold Stars: 51
Bet365 should be a reason that people don't gamble, there is only one winner, the bookies. £365 Million per year and that's just her not the other 2 owners. so probably close to a Billion pounds A YEAR

Horse Racing, say 10 horses pays 2, so 8 out of those bets lose = millions to the bookies
Football Acca, someone might win, but many many won't
Ladbrokes Revenue 2.9Billion

They make an utter fortune, yes you might win a couple of times that's probably it
Golf  entrants 120, say pays to 8th so not much chance. it's the golfer that wins every time as even 100 all times earnings is $50,000000
It's the same for almost most sports
You have a system?? probably not

BOOKIES WIN HUGE, punters mostly lose overall

Betfair Profit £60M
Paddypower Valued at £9 Billion
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 47
Abdul19
May 7, 2021, 10:38am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
It's excellent that GTFC will be taking a stand against gambling companies by removing all Sky Bet adverts from BP.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 47
Heisenberg
May 7, 2021, 10:50am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,807
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from pen penfras

What a dinosaur you are. I agree with the sentiment that people should help themselves, but gambling plays on an in built feature of human psychology that hasn't evolved with our modern lives. It starts off as being a couple of quid and can build up, for some people, to losing their entire life savings. The attitude shouldn't be "intercourse them, they're stupid", it should be about how can we help people to gamble sensibly. Much the same as people with drink and drugs issues shouldn't be left to spiral out of control until they're dead or homeless.

Ok, you call me a dinosaur and I’m not offended. But people who gamble weren’t forced into it. It’s like smokers getting NHS care for lung cancer, seriously, what did they think would happen?

Gambling ruins lives because the betting companies are the only winners. If you consider that as fact, then surely your choice to gamble is the wrong one, with only one long term outcome.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 47
pen penfras
May 7, 2021, 11:05am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -137
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Heisenberg

Ok, you call me a dinosaur and I’m not offended. But people who gamble weren’t forced into it. It’s like smokers getting NHS care for lung cancer, seriously, what did they think would happen?

Gambling ruins lives because the betting companies are the only winners. If you consider that as fact, then surely your choice to gamble is the wrong one, with only one long term outcome.

But that's entirely the point. Nobody is being forced to do it, but some people can't stop. It's hard to imagine being addicted to something if you aren't. But think about watching football and how almost every other advert is a gambling advert showing how great the odds are and how much you can win. Then think of the impressionable teenagers that are watching this, thinking "ooh, I'll have a go". They put a couple of quid on and win £5, that triggers a reward system in your brain and you want to do it again, but next time it's not as good and needs to be a bigger amount. You keep going bigger and bigger until you're chasing a big win to recover losing an amount of money that you can't afford. Then also think that every time you watch football and you're in this situation, that you're reminded about gambling and it sets off that desire to win or reminds you that you need to recover those losses.

Alternatively, think about if no kids see gambling adverts, the main advert for it they see is going into a bookies where some old guys that stink of fags and booze are, that look homeless. Doesn't seem so glamourous to want to be like those people.

Since tobacco adverts have been banned, the number of smokers has dropped by a huge amount.

Self help is a wonderful philosophy, but it doesn't work when addiction is involved. And nobody starts off smoking, drinking, drugs or gambling intending to be an addict. That's a built in deficiency in the human race that exists to help us survive, but in the modern world is exploited for the gain of amoral capitalist vultures.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 47
malkamalka
May 7, 2021, 11:07am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 17
I don't gamble, but I think there is a difference between paid advertising and sponsorship. Liverpool for examle are heavily sponsored by a betting company (Bet Victor?) and Klopp has appeared in their adverts. Jose Mourhino appears in TV adverts for a gambling company as well (Hills?).

Personally, I don't think clubs should be sponsored by Betting companies as it runs the risk of developing into a Calciopoli where matches were fixed at the behest of gambling syndicates.

I CERTAINLY don't think that ANY employee of a football club should be appearing in a gambling sponsors advertising. That is exploiting younger people by exposing them to their role models promoting gambling.

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 47
Theimperialcoroner
May 7, 2021, 12:04pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -3
Approval: +5,088
Gold Stars: 93
Gambling is a poisonous and nasty thing once it gets in the hands of the parasites that want to take your money from you.
The know your limit campaign is just lip service if you want to gamble, you’ll gamble.
Interestingly where I lived in the USA in both N and S Carolina, they are states where gambling is prohibited. Made things better for it. I couldn’t even access U.K. sites without a VPN. It can be done if there’s a desire to stop it. I mean they still shoot people there, but that’s not the point.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gambling sponsorship ban in football

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.