Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Gambling sponsorship ban in football
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 344 Guests

Gambling sponsorship ban in football

This thread currently has 4,292 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
mimma
May 7, 2021, 11:47pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,545
Gold Stars: 78
I don't have a problem with people betting on the outcome of games, but to feed the addicts the betting companies have had to introduce new ways of feeding their habits and increase their profits. Betting on things like the number of corners, yellow and red cards, and all the trivial stuff like that, is just a cynical way of feeding the habit to make more money.

Keep betting at the basic levels of winners, draws and losers, but stop all this nonsense of betting on trivial things like how many shots on target there will be in the next ten minutes etc.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 47
GollyGTFC
May 8, 2021, 8:07am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
Quoted from moosey_club

Half ? i bet it isnt that many Les  

Premier League - 10/20 (8 front of shirt & 2 sleeve sponsors)
Championship - 12/24
League One - 0/24
League Two - 0/24

EFL numbers are only front of shirt sponsors. I have no idea how many back of shirt or shorts sponsors are gambling firms.

Obviously all 72 EFL clubs have 2 Sky Bet sleeve badges as well.

17 PL clubs have official gambling partners.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 41 - 47
Theimperialcoroner
May 8, 2021, 8:36am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -3
Approval: +5,088
Gold Stars: 93
The endless adverts and sponsorship just aim to normalise betting as a bit of fun. It can be that, some people can also work out how to make a bit out of it a la Rob. However there are still large numbers of people for whom it is a problem. I’m one of them, it copulated me up. Took me til I was in my 40s to realise that and now I still see the repercussions even though I no longer gamble.
For people who it is a problem to, it’s awful and for them it needs heavy regulation, something successive govts have failed to do because, well we know because....💷💷💷

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 47
GollyGTFC
May 8, 2021, 9:03am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
The endless adverts and sponsorship just aim to normalise betting as a bit of fun. It can be that, some people can also work out how to make a bit out of it a la Rob. However there are still large numbers of people for whom it is a problem. I’m one of them, it copulated me up. Took me til I was in my 40s to realise that and now I still see the repercussions even though I no longer gamble.
For people who it is a problem to, it’s awful and for them it needs heavy regulation, something successive govts have failed to do because, well we know because....💷💷💷

Good and honest post.

I've already had conversations about gambling with my 11 year old son because it's everywhere if you follow football. The basic message I try and get over is it's not a part of normal every day life and it causes a lot of pain to a lot of people. I gamble about £5 a week on football but I don't play the National Lottery so that's my entire outlay.

I actually felt guilty this morning because I had £9 in my account & as it's the last game of the season I put all £9 on Grimsby to win & both teams to score.

But that will be my last bet until August when I usually have a 5-fold down to 3-folds on the champions of the top 5 divisions. This season's bet was a disaster. Grimsby have been relegated. Derby might get relegated. Liverpool have been awful. Sunderland likewise. And Halifax have done okay but were never in the title race.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 43 - 47
DB
May 8, 2021, 10:17am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.54
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,872
Gold Stars: 383
Even the national lottery is in on the act of portraying that good comes from gambling as per their 'good cause' promotion. Millions spent on the National Opera house in renovations! I have nothing against opera, in fact, I like some of the music. When you consider the homeless, starving, and people living in squaller; the need to refurbish the Grenfell and other flats with cladding puts the National Opera project and others into perspective.

The reality is that the lottery makes people buy into it as a feel-good factor. There is some good work they do but also a lot of money is spent on needless projects at this time. I am not saying what the money spent is not needed but there are many basic home requirements that need fixing first.

As was posted earlier 'value of bets placed with Bet365 last year was half the budget of the NHS'; you have to wonder how much money is taken out of the economy by gambling. Money that could be well spent on the poor and needy, money on the NHS, and many others causes that help our society.

I fear that neither party in government will do anything, because it's an easy tax for them to collect. There are not many people who can resist £2 on the lottery to win £14 million, but forget the odds are 14million - 1. Likewise, the betting companies daggle fantastic returns for few pounds, and when you lose you can always try again. My mother used to say about the horses 'you have one horse running for you, the bookie has all the rest running for him'.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 47
ROKERITE
May 8, 2021, 12:41pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +414
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Gambling is a poisonous and nasty thing once it gets in the hands of the parasites that want to take your money from you.
The know your limit campaign is just lip service if you want to gamble, you’ll gamble.
Interestingly where I lived in the USA in both N and S Carolina, they are states where gambling is prohibited. Made things better for it. I couldn’t even access U.K. sites without a VPN. It can be done if there’s a desire to stop it. I mean they still shoot people there, but that’s not the point.

Strange place The U.S.A.. The land of the free but in many states the basic freedom to have a bet is forbidden.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 47
ROKERITE
May 8, 2021, 12:44pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +414
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from DB
Gambling is like a drug. Once hooked it is very hard to give up and soft drugs lead to hard drugs. Small bets lead to high and higher ones and then loans to bet with. It causes similar problems in families to drugs.

Authorities should treat Gambling advertising like they do Smoking adverts and ban them until late at night. As Louth put it 'all value of bets placed with Bet365 last year was half the budget of the NHS' and that was just one company.

And hundreds of millions of Pounds were paid in tax by the Coates family. Bet 365 is not a company I like but I applaud them for their success and the many jobs they've created.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 47
moosey_club
May 8, 2021, 12:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Premier League - 10/20 (8 front of shirt & 2 sleeve sponsors)
Championship - 12/24
League One - 0/24
League Two - 0/24

EFL numbers are only front of shirt sponsors. I have no idea how many back of shirt or shorts sponsors are gambling firms.

Obviously all 72 EFL clubs have 2 Sky Bet sleeve badges as well.

17 PL clubs have official gambling partners.

Whoooshhh

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Gambling sponsorship ban in football

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.