diehardmariner
May 7, 2021, 3:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,606
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Yes, but historically you could only bet in a betting shop or at a racecourse/dog track etc...

If you're a recovering alcoholic or drug addict you won't have alcohol/drugs in your house/flat. If you wake up and are tempted you have the process of getting dressed and going somewhere to buy some booze/drugs to stop yourself from relapsing.

If you're addicted to gambling you can wake up in the morning and be online and gambling within seconds. The industry does nothing to help.

Bet365 took bets in 2019 to the value of the 50% of the entire budget of the NHS. And that's just one company albeit the market leader.

If you're an addict you wake up needing a fix.  Be that gambling, booze, heroin...having to go through a process to achieve that fix isn't an issue in the slightest.

Don't get me wrong, the accessibility and the ease of betting sites is a concern.  But if someone wants a bet and they can't do it online, they'll find a way to have that bet regardless.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 47
RonMariner
May 7, 2021, 3:21pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,671
Gold Stars: 226
Denise Coates, the Founder and Joint CEO of online gambling business Bet365 earned a total of  £469 million in the year ending 29 March.

Those that think they can make a killing gambling might want to think about that!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 47
KingstonMariner
May 7, 2021, 3:52pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from diehardmariner

If you're an addict you wake up needing a fix.  Be that gambling, booze, heroin...having to go through a process to achieve that fix isn't an issue in the slightest.

Don't get me wrong, the accessibility and the ease of betting sites is a concern.  But if someone wants a bet and they can't do it online, they'll find a way to have that bet regardless.

The point is you cannot get those other things so easily because they are physical objects. Gambling on line takes seconds. You don’t have to get out of your bed.

Someone else made the point about gambling adverts normalising gambling. They absolutely do. A bunch of happy go lucky, young attractive guys have fun placing bets. You know the scene.

There are some even encouraging you to go with your gut instinct and ignore the odds. Shameless.

I agree with you on alcohol too. Even though it’s my ‘vice’.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 47
HertsGTFC
May 7, 2021, 4:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from RonMariner
Denise Coates, the Founder and Joint CEO of online gambling business Bet365 earned a total of  £469 million in the year ending 29 March.

Those that think they can make a killing gambling might want to think about that!

As my dad used to say about going to the bookies there's 2 windows for paying in and 1 for paying out, that tells you everything you need to know.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 47
KingstonMariner
May 7, 2021, 7:57pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from HertsGTFC

As my dad used to say about going to the bookies there's 2 windows for paying in and 1 for paying out, that tells you everything you need to know.

Sounds like something my old man would say.

Did yours have the one about keeping your nose clean but if you can’t keep it clean, you may as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb? 😀

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 47
GrimRob
May 7, 2021, 9:57pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from cannylad68
I agree with the sentiments here, but there are people who gamble responsibly, I'm sure Grim Rob is one of them.

Any one who is capable of being sensible can make at least £500 from all the bookie new account offers, without risking a penny, obviously a reasonable starting bank is required. A lot of effort perhaps but risk free.

The vast majority of people treat gambling as a bit of fun. Most people are pretty hopeless at it as well, they bet on the things the bookies steer you towards. I have hardly bet in the last year compared to years gone by, it's hard work to make money and your accounts get closed down or restricted by a lot of firms if you do.  I never treated it as fun but I did make money on average.

Obviously, some people do have a problem. I think the TV adverts and stadium banners are more of a lure, not least because they are the things the bookies want you to bet on, the markets where they have the largest profit margin. You never see them advertising the likes of Asian Handicaps for the simple reason that they have very small margins on markets like that. The likes of First Goalscorer and Correct Score are mugs' markets, you will always lose on them in the long term, that's what they want you to bet on.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 35 - 47
moosey_club
May 7, 2021, 10:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
One of the issues with gambling and the spread of it is there arent many people shouting about how much they lose , you only ever hear people boasting about what they have won...by my reckoning all the bookmakers must all be broke as it seems no one ever loses.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 47
moosey_club
May 7, 2021, 10:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Quoted from Les Brechin
That would definitely have a massive impact as it seems that about half the teams in the league are sponsored somehow by a firm linked to gambling.

Half ? i bet it isnt that many Les  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 47
DB
May 7, 2021, 11:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,000
Gold Stars: 386
Rather ironic that, at the minute, there is an ad for Ladbrokes between replies 36 and 37,

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 47
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
May 7, 2021, 11:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,824
Gold Stars: 553
Quoted from DB
Rather ironic that, at the minute, there is an ad for Ladbrokes between replies 36 and 37,

For you maybe.

I’m still stuck on adverts for Muslim singles
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gambling sponsorship ban in football

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.