Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst out.!!
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 319 Guests

Hurst out.!!

This thread currently has 15,316 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Tinymariner
April 6, 2021, 9:17am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
I'm not a Hurst fan, did not want him back here, I was pleased when he left. However, he has turned one of the most helpless Town teams I have ever seen into a pretty unbeatable team. Some of the best teams in this league cannot beat us and I am very happy with this transformation although I do believe we are relegated. I would keep Hurst here for next season and go for promotion as soon as possible. UTM.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 94
April 6, 2021, 9:35am
Guest User
Yoda you are a horrible green bogey.
Reply: 71 - 94
April 6, 2021, 9:42am
Guest User
An I happy with the situation? No  Do I think we will stay up? Yes..
Am I an eternal optimistic? Yes. Will I buy a season ticket next year? Yes. Am I passionate about my Team? Yes, I will support them through thick and thin, until my last breath. UTM.
Reply: 72 - 94
ginnywings
April 6, 2021, 10:19am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,119
Gold Stars: 548
I think one of the problems of armchair fans, myself included, is that we think we know the answers and that changing the team either before or during the game will magically make a difference in our favour.

Two of the things constantly levelled at PH, is that he doesn't play for the win and he doesn't change the side when we are not winning during a game. I would dispute the first notion, as I do believe he does play for the win, but just goes about it in a non too cavalier way. More George Graham than Arsene Wenger. Both approaches can and do work with the right players but fans such as myself find it tedious and uninspiring. Having said that, we did win quite a few games by a 2 or 3 goal margin under him last time he was here, but it always felt laboured under him somehow.

As for the substitutes thing, it does get frustrating and can be used as a stick to beat him with should we not get the desired result. I've said before that changing personnel is all well and good, if you have the personnel on the side lines that can effect a positive change and I'm not sure we have at the moment. Don't forget that these players are being constantly analysed, before, during, and after games as to their fitness levels, sprints, recovery and all manner of information we are not privy to. So when fans sit there saying, get player x off the pitch, he looks knackered, they actually know in real time whether he is flagging or not. Substitutions can also go the other way and unbalance the side, making things worse. It's a bone of contention for many though and one which will never please everyone, whatever the outcome.

Hurst is a very divisive manager and one that is definitely Marmite among the fans, but when I think back to the teams he put together last time, especially the one that got us back into the league, I haven't seen a side anywhere near that since, and I am confident they would beat any of the sides put together by subsequent managers. Almost 5 years after getting promoted, we are far worse than we were last time he was in charge. He's the only manager to get us in a play off since 2005 and the only manager to get us promoted since 1990, but none of that seems to count for some as it was non league. Truth is, it's harder to get out of that league than it is League 2, so he deserves a crack at it again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 94
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 6, 2021, 10:41am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,270
Gold Stars: 304
Quoted from ginnywings
I think one of the problems of armchair fans, myself included, is that we think we know the answers and that changing the team either before or during the game will magically make a difference in our favour.

Two of the things constantly levelled at PH, is that he doesn't play for the win and he doesn't change the side when we are not winning during a game. I would dispute the first notion, as I do believe he does play for the win, but just goes about it in a non too cavalier way. More George Graham than Arsene Wenger. Both approaches can and do work with the right players but fans such as myself find it tedious and uninspiring. Having said that, we did win quite a few games by a 2 or 3 goal margin under him last time he was here, but it always felt laboured under him somehow.

As for the substitutes thing, it does get frustrating and can be used as a stick to beat him with should we not get the desired result. I've said before that changing personnel is all well and good, if you have the personnel on the side lines that can effect a positive change and I'm not sure we have at the moment. Don't forget that these players are being constantly analysed, before, during, and after games as to their fitness levels, sprints, recovery and all manner of information we are not privy to. So when fans sit there saying, get player x off the pitch, he looks knackered, they actually know in real time whether he is flagging or not. Substitutions can also go the other way and unbalance the side, making things worse. It's a bone of contention for many though and one which will never please everyone, whatever the outcome.

Hurst is a very divisive manager and one that is definitely Marmite among the fans, but when I think back to the teams he put together last time, especially the one that got us back into the league, I haven't seen a side anywhere near that since, and I am confident they would beat any of the sides put together by subsequent managers. Almost 5 years after getting promoted, we are far worse than we were last time he was in charge. He's the only manager to get us in a play off since 2005 and the only manager to get us promoted since 1990, but none of that seems to count for some as it was non league. Truth is, it's harder to get out of that league than it is League 2, so he deserves a crack at it again.

Not picking a fight here but I doubt we're looking at player stats in real time, we are so far behind in this kind of thing that I doubt that we've got the technology to do it. It's more likely that Hurst and Doig look at each other and say 'he's knackered'......but I'm happy to be told otherwise.

More broadly, the problem we have with substitutions is that we generally will be replacing mediocre players with poorer ones. Not generally a recipe for changing the game. When you have Hanson, The Shop and Payne on the pitch your substitution options are limited. We saw on Saturday that Green isn't making a difference.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 94
exiledmeggie
April 6, 2021, 11:02am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / -6
Approval: -227
Gold Stars: 18
He has made us unbeaten at last. So to go forward, we only need to drop one place at the end of next season, under new ownership? Or can we actually go up two places now?

Living in Exile since 1980, but still have Black and White blood!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 94
HertsGTFC
April 6, 2021, 11:16am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from ginnywings

All makes perfect sense, I have always believed that part of the reason he was re-recruited is that he has an understanding of how to get a side out of non league just in case (as it seems like) we may need it.

I'm sure he's also looking at things long term as he wasn't at Shrewsbury more than 2 seasons if I remember rightly and the other 2 jobs less than a season.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 94
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 6, 2021, 11:26am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,270
Gold Stars: 304
Quoted from exiledmeggie
He has made us unbeaten at last. So to go forward, we only need to drop one place at the end of next season, under new ownership? Or can we actually go up two places now?

Yep. We've gone from shipping 3,4 and 5 goals in a game to being very tight and difficult to beat. I get the frustration of not scoring many and would like to see him giving more time to Lamy (when fit) and Jackson to inject speed into the attack but he does have limited options.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 94
Iknowyoursecret
April 6, 2021, 12:31pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +0 / -3
Approval: -34
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from 140067
Yoda you are a horrible green bogey.

WHO! Never heard of the guy (:
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 94
April 6, 2021, 12:49pm
Guest User
Quoted from Yoda
I knew he would take us down i didn’t want him
Yesterday’s man crap players crap subs no idea of how to win a game is it 2 in 17 disgraceful his managerial career is over.

FFS this again, you really are a PITA, just gone 8 games in a row undefeated and we ARE NOT relegated yet. UTM

Reply: 79 - 94
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst out.!!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.