Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 302 Guests

Hurst out.!!

This thread currently has 15,229 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
April 6, 2021, 12:51pm
Guest User
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
I agree with the OP . He’s made us hard to beat but we can’t get results with his tactics and don’t get me started on his substitutions when we need to get a result.
Fresh start from top to bottom required to restart GTFC.

We just had 8 results in a row that still keeps us in L2 for the moment.

Reply: 80 - 94
Swansea_Mariner
April 6, 2021, 12:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,385
Gold Stars: 62
We're hardly setting up for a draw with three strikers on the pitch in the last four matches.

I do think looking at Hursts overall  record since returning is a tad unfair, Holloways team was in complete freefall with only that random win against Scunthorpe in what was a truly abject match standing apart. Those first few games with that team were highly unlikely to yield any points under any manager imho. We were NLN standard.

Post Cheltenham Hurst said he thought he was getting the best out of the players at his disposal, I'm not sure how we can disagree with that, we just held the best team in the division to a draw. I'm not gonna say could have, would have, should have for some of those other recent matches because we didn't, but its certainly been fine margins for us.

I'll admit it is hard to look at it objectively because we are cut adrift at the bottom of the table, and I suppose it can be said "well Hurst did bring a lot of these players in". I guess he just brought in a mid table side when we needed something better, however that something better is more easily said than done.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 94
April 6, 2021, 1:03pm
Guest User
Quoted from arryarryarry

Did it though, we failed miserably with their goal and it was down to Macca to keep the score at 1-1 because the defence couldn't cope with their throw ins and corners.

You are totally wrong there. Waterfall was NOT responsible for their goal, there were either 3 or 4 Town players in front of him and he couldn't get to the ball.  And they only scored with 1 throw in out of the numerous throw ins they had. Waterfall was a rock at the heart off the defence, winning headers all day long and blocking tackle too.  MotM for me, it just seems that for some reason, some fans like to pick out several of our players and give them a hard time on here.  I sometimes wonder if these obnoxious  'fans' have watch3ed the game, or if the did, know nothing about football.

Reply: 82 - 94
sonofmadeleymariner
April 6, 2021, 1:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,399
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from 123614

We just had 8 results in a row that still keeps us in L2 for the moment.

Merely prolonging the inevitable not keeping us in it. These draws are nothing more then keeping someone on life support with no cure in sight (wins). As for the original OPs post. Its far too late, should of been done by mid to end of Feb if we were going to do it.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 94
April 6, 2021, 1:14pm
Guest User
Quoted from arryarryarry

Looking at their goal again we had the 3 centre-halves + Hanson + Habergham (and he's quite tall) and no one could prevent a virtually free header.

If you run that goal back a few times, you will see that we had 4 players close to the scorer, then Hanson a bit further away, and Waterfall a bit further away from Hanson too.  Now, we can't have 6 players all on the same spot trying to win the ball, we have to have players beyond that spot in case they get a flick on.  I suspect that was where Waterfall was to be and that Hanson was meant to challenge the header of the ball, but with 4 of our smaller players in his way, he couldn't get through.

Reply: 84 - 94
devs
April 6, 2021, 1:25pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,960
Gold Stars: 30
Managers always take the flak and in many ways rightly so...someone has to be accountable
GKs and defenders come next on the pecking order of criticism - again, rightly so on occasion

But it's very rare forwards 'cop it' game after game with the same level of feeling

It's worth pointing out the appalling misses in last two games from Lenny (Salford at the end) and yesterday when Hanson and Green wasted golden chances with pathetic, half-hearted, panicky efforts

But crap like "well, at least he was in the right place to miss it..." is always trotted out
Or "he's just lacking a bit of confidence at the minute" - bollox...it's their main job that they practice day after day

I don't expect an 80% conversion rate at L2 (they wouldn't be play8ing at gtfc) but 2 out of 5? Is that unreasonable?

So we can blame Hurst for tactics all we like; GKs and defenders for mistakes that often lead to goals
But IMO strikers get away with shite finishing time after time

Glory boys!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 94
April 6, 2021, 1:27pm
Guest User

Merely prolonging the inevitable not keeping us in it. These draws are nothing more then keeping someone on life support with no cure in sight (wins). As for the original OPs post. Its far too late, should of been done by mid to end of Feb if we were going to do it.

Well, Green had an excellent chance to score the winner yesterday, and there were a couple of other matches in the last 8 where we had chances to win.  Yes, I know chances don't win matches, but surely our luck is going to change!  I believe we can get some wins, and hope that the teams around us drop points.  I believe we WILL stay up.  UTM.

Reply: 86 - 94
MarinerWY
April 6, 2021, 1:30pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,946
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
We're hardly setting up for a draw with three strikers on the pitch in the last four matches.

I do think looking at Hursts overall  record since returning is a tad unfair, Holloways team was in complete freefall with only that random win against Scunthorpe in what was a truly abject match standing apart. Those first few games with that team were highly unlikely to yield any points under any manager imho. We were NLN standard.

Post Cheltenham Hurst said he thought he was getting the best out of the players at his disposal, I'm not sure how we can disagree with that, we just held the best team in the division to a draw. I'm not gonna say could have, would have, should have for some of those other recent matches because we didn't, but its certainly been fine margins for us.

I'll admit it is hard to look at it objectively because we are cut adrift at the bottom of the table, and I suppose it can be said "well Hurst did bring a lot of these players in". I guess he just brought in a mid table side when we needed something better, however that something better is more easily said than done.

Great post.

I think Hurst has built a half-decent team. I know it's not enough, but that's not Hurst's doing... and I don't know which miracle worker (willing to join us) would have got us from what we were to a team that was going to beat (rather than merely draw) against top-placed teams. Answers on a postcard please...
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 94
April 6, 2021, 1:38pm
Guest User
Quoted from devs
Managers always take the flak and in many ways rightly so...someone has to be accountable
GKs and defenders come next on the pecking order of criticism - again, rightly so on occasion

But it's very rare forwards 'cop it' game after game with the same level of feeling

It's worth pointing out the appalling misses in last two games from Lenny (Salford at the end) and yesterday when Hanson and Green wasted golden chances with pathetic, half-hearted, panicky efforts

But crap like "well, at least he was in the right place to miss it..." is always trotted out
Or "he's just lacking a bit of confidence at the minute" - bollox...it's their main job that they practice day after day

I don't expect an 80% conversion rate at L2 (they wouldn't be play8ing at gtfc) but 2 out of 5? Is that unreasonable?

So we can blame Hurst for tactics all we like; GKs and defenders for mistakes that often lead to goals
But IMO strikers get away with shite finishing time after time

Glory boys!

So @Devs, In the late 60's I played for Barton United in the Scunthorpe and District Junior League at Centre Half for 4 years until I joined the Army.  Even though we got promoted 4 seasons in a row, I still got a lot of stick when mistakes were made.  In the Army I played as Centre Forward, and represented my Regiment at all levels up to playing for the Army (Cyprus) team, and again took a lot of stick when making errors from our coach.  So in my opinion, everyone that drops a clanger or two gets a slating from the coach, even Forwards.  

Reply: 88 - 94
Bristol Mariner
April 6, 2021, 1:38pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Yoda, intercourse off with Fenty and Noche.

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 94
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.