Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst out.!!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 261 Guests

Hurst out.!!

This thread currently has 15,291 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
April 5, 2021, 10:48pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
I think we have been a tad unlucky in this run of 8 unbeaten. Not today mind as I think we did extremely well to get a point from a game that we would have lost for sure a couple of months back. We hung in there and could have won it in the end. That's been the problem in this run, not taking the chances when they present themselves and you can't lay the blame for that completely at the feet of PH.

The Barrow game apart, the games we have scored in, we have conceded and the games where we have kept a clean sheet, we haven't scored, which has resulted in so many draws. It's very frustrating for all concerned, not least the manager.

We currently sit 11th in the form table and I am in no doubt that PH has improved us over the team Holloway put out. We were losing by 3's, 4's and a 5 under IH. Problem being that it took PH longer than we could afford before he got us competitive. We needed to stop the rot, get a few draws, then slowly start to pick up wins as Stevenage did. We've done the first part, but the second part, turning performances into wins, hasn't materialised as yet.

I've no doubt the detractors will point out that we are now in a worse position than we were before PH came in and I can't dispute that, yet the form table has us in a fairly healthy position. It's really infuriating and as things stand, it looks like the same scenario as the Woods season, which was relegation by not turning enough draws into wins.

Time is running out and we need to get a couple of wins soon if we are to improbably get ourselves safe.

Of course, none of this answers the question of whether PH should be our manager next season. As I have said many times, I'm not his biggest fan, but I think we need a period of stability and he provides that and should be given next season to build a squad, which he's proved he can do more than once. He has a track record in the leagues below the EFL that can't be overlooked.

In any case, I think the question is moot, because I think he will be the manager next season whatever we think. Unless the takeover fails, then he may walk.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 94
MuddyWaters
April 5, 2021, 10:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
We’re still in with a chance, however slim, which is more than I would have given us a month ago.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 94
arryarryarry
April 5, 2021, 11:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from smokey111

You have to respect the opinion of Gary Croft and he explained that when a player gets a run on and times their jump, IF the ball is delivered correctly, it is very difficult to defend against.

You should watch it again. he takes a couple of steps not a run and we had five players to their 3, only Hanson jumped but he was too far away from it, it looked to me like Menayese was supposed to be marking him.
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 94
grimsby pete
April 6, 2021, 12:05am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
I am not a happy clapper or an Hurst fan.

BUT

He has improved the team and we are hard to beat ,

Having said that draws are no good to us now as we need to win at least four of the last seven with a draw thrown in.

That might not be enough but we can not give in yet.

I will keep hoping for a win in every game and will not concede we are down until the maths tell me we are.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 94
HarrogateMariner
April 6, 2021, 1:16am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +479
Gold Stars: 23
I have had a complete 360 degree change of opinion on Hurst over the past few weeks. Initially I wanted someone else and was not happy he had returned, partly I have to admit due to him leaving first time and also due to his reluctance to give youth a chance and the reliance on loan signings.

But I have since changed my mind and now feel he is right to take us forward, for nothing more than the fact we now have a core settled group of players and some actual consistency. I was of the opinion 3 months ago we needed a clean start end of season, a new manager, a whole new squad. Now I see that would be the worst thing to happen. We are craving for some consistency which I feel he can give us, hopefully with the 6 or 7 players I feel we should keep as a basis to build from. I hope he does keep these players (assuming they want to stay). I am fed up of having to learn about new players all the time. Importantly I feel this group would be good enough as a basis for a promotion push from non league, obviously alongside quality additions. Plus I feel Hurst can get us back up quickly.

I speak as if we are down because unfortunately I think we are. I hope I am wrong, I just can't see it.

Yes we haven't won many matches under Hurst. Yes we don't score enough. Yes it took a while for him to find his best team. But this all provides the basis for planning for next season. If Hurst goes this all starts again. He will know right now who he wants to keep. If he left end of season we are left with a new manager guessing what each player is like. We move back 3 months in the whole process.

As long as the take over goes ahead, Hurst will be manager at the start of next season. It is as simple as that. So therefore lets all get behind him and the team for these last games and beyond. I genuinely don't think there is a discussion to be had about 'Hurst out', unless the takeover falls through, but let's not go there....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 94
davmariner
April 6, 2021, 2:04am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,910
Gold Stars: 78
Anyone lambasting Hurst, go back and watch the last three games of Holloway’s tenure. That’s what I’ve just done. It’s made me feel a lot happier that Holloway is no longer our manager and that Hurst has improved the team.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 94
arryarryarry
April 6, 2021, 3:09am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from davmariner
Anyone lambasting Hurst, go back and watch the last three games of Holloway’s tenure. That’s what I’ve just done. It’s made me feel a lot happier that Holloway is no longer our manager and that Hurst has improved the team.

Just because someone isn't a fan of Hurst doesn't mean they are a fan of Holloway. I was never a fan of Holloway but if you have actually watched those three games we did in fact win one.

Private Message
Reply: 66 - 94
Vance Warner
April 6, 2021, 6:46am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,775
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from HarrogateMariner
I have had a complete 360 degree change of opinion on Hurst over the past few weeks. Initially I wanted someone else and was not happy he had returned, partly I have to admit due to him leaving first time and also due to his reluctance to give youth a chance and the reliance on loan signings.

But I have since changed my mind and now feel he is right to take us forward, for nothing more than the fact we now have a core settled group of players and some actual consistency. I was of the opinion 3 months ago we needed a clean start end of season, a new manager, a whole new squad. Now I see that would be the worst thing to happen. We are craving for some consistency which I feel he can give us, hopefully with the 6 or 7 players I feel we should keep as a basis to build from. I hope he does keep these players (assuming they want to stay). I am fed up of having to learn about new players all the time. Importantly I feel this group would be good enough as a basis for a promotion push from non league, obviously alongside quality additions. Plus I feel Hurst can get us back up quickly.

I speak as if we are down because unfortunately I think we are. I hope I am wrong, I just can't see it.

Yes we haven't won many matches under Hurst. Yes we don't score enough. Yes it took a while for him to find his best team. But this all provides the basis for planning for next season. If Hurst goes this all starts again. He will know right now who he wants to keep. If he left end of season we are left with a new manager guessing what each player is like. We move back 3 months in the whole process.

As long as the take over goes ahead, Hurst will be manager at the start of next season. It is as simple as that. So therefore lets all get behind him and the team for these last games and beyond. I genuinely don't think there is a discussion to be had about 'Hurst out', unless the takeover falls through, but let's not go there....

Excellent post and refreshing to hear from someone open minded and willing to change their opinion. Not enough of that in football or life these days. The only thing I would argue with is a new manager setting the process back by 3 months. I actually think it’s at least a year which is one of the reasons we are in this mess
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 94
pontoonlew
April 6, 2021, 8:06am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,840
Gold Stars: 167
I think Hurst deserves praise for making us hard to beat but in equal measure needs to take responsibility for the fact we’re simply not winning enough games. The fact he didn’t make subs for the umpteenth time yesterday and tried to justify that, sums it up. It was very similar in the conference, far too often plan A didn’t work (especially against the big teams) and we’d rarely have a plan b until 80 odd mins.

All that said, I’ve changed my mind in the sense I’d keep him for next season in NL. The club needs stability and I think we’re in a much much better position than when we went down last time. Unless of course Fenty stays, in which case it’s an absolute disaster and Hurst will leave anyway.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 94
thefish
April 6, 2021, 8:36am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,267
Gold Stars: 67
Quoted from davmariner

Christ... didn’t you have anything better to do over the Easter weekend?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 94
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst out.!!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.