7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
barralad
March 18, 2021, 10:01pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Started school down in Sussex in1963. (South Lancing Primary). Moved to Grimsby in 66 and started at New Waltham primary with some brilliant teachers- Mr Mitchell and Brian Nicholson (who still lives in Waltham I believe).
Went to Clee Grammar in 69 under the headship of Colin Shaw, Some great characters amongst the teaching staff..Johnny Roe, Ben Leake, Ted Parr and the head of games Owen Roberts who was one of the England Schools selectors. One of my favourite teachers was Steve Plowes later of "Sing When We're Fishing" fame who gained life long approval for getting caught trying to climb over the fence to get into B.P for nowt.  Clee became Matthew Humberstone in 74 and I spent two years in the sixth form under Jonty Driver a South African who was an anti-apartheid protestor and a novelist-very interesting bloke who I came across again a few years back reading a lesson at Nelson Mandela's memorial service at St Pauls

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 67
barralad
March 18, 2021, 10:13pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from ginnywings

Yeah, had a few beers with him at the Sands. Leo Solomon too, erstwhile maths teacher and leader of the Leo Solomon Trio, who played the Sands now and again.

Leo Solomon is still on the go I think. He plays the piano at the Clee Grammar yearly reunion. He's in his 90s I believe.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 67
Manchester Mariner
March 19, 2021, 11:04am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Got sent to Lindsey for secondary school, which was a buddy because nearly everyone else I knew went to Matthew. Stand outs for me were Gordon Taylor, History O-Level. Another one who was firm but fair. But with the added bonus he regaled us with anecdotes and brought the subject alive. Then Tony McCabe for A-Level history and Economics. He was the right teacher at the right time for me. Very sharp and bright Scouser. Introduced us to different schools of thought and deepened my interest in the subject and went on to do history at university as a result. A lifelong passion for the subject.

Some others worth a mention at Lindsey: Yvonne Ellison, English - good teacher and a schoolboy fantasy figure 😁. Misters Minette and Payne, geography - not the most exciting lessons but got the subject across to the extent I can still have a decent conversation 40 years later with my son who’s a geography graduate.

I finished at Lindsey in 94 and pretty much all of them teachers were still there. Mr Taylor was my form teacher at the lower school, due to his penchant for giving out lines to pupils and then making them rip them up once completed he was disliked by a lot, but firm but fair is a good summarisation and I liked him. Mr Payne was my Geography teacher, again could be quite a strict teacher but also had humour with his 'Payne by name and payne by nature' catchphrases or threats to use the 'soggy arm treatment' which apparently was cutting your arm off and then beating you with the soggy end.  

Before Lindsey I went to Middlethorpe Primary School were my favourite teacher was ex Town player Alan Woodward. I was obsessed with the sports pages of teletext at the time and he would always ask me stuff like who won the Welsh Open at the weekend sort of thing. Even though I was a pretty awful footballer he stuck me in the school team which raised my confidence no end despite spending most the time as a sub. I'll never forget the time he pushed an unruly kid into the store cupboard and seemingly the entire contents of the cupboard crashed onto the floor. The same kid also got stuck in the bin head first by him once although that was more in jest.  I assume he's retired from teaching now, last thing I heard about him was a couple of years ago making an appearance at BP with some other members of Lawrie McMenemy’s squad of the 70's.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 67
Les Brechin
March 19, 2021, 12:21pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,709
Gold Stars: 174
I went to Nunny infants school and had 1 year at the main Nunny school before moving to Crosby (as it was then) when Bradley Park was built. After that went to Chelmsford until I left in 1980.

Favourite teacher at Crosby was Mr Carbutt (who sadly passed away recently) and although I was a pit crap at PE, favourite teacher at Chelly was Mr Otton.

Least favourite teacher was a chap at Crosby who had a penchant of throwing the blackboard rubber thingy at you if you weren't paying attention. A nasty piece of work he was,  I won't mention his name on here but he was later jailed for interfering with one of the girls in a store cupboard.

A special mention for French teacher at Chelly Miss Lickerish, I think all the boys used to like her.  

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 67
KingstonMariner
March 19, 2021, 12:43pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Les Brechin
I went to Nunny infants school and had 1 year at the main Nunny school before moving to Crosby (as it was then) when Bradley Park was built. After that went to Chelmsford until I left in 1980.

Favourite teacher at Crosby was Mr Carbutt (who sadly passed away recently) and although I was a pit crap at PE, favourite teacher at Chelly was Mr Otton.

Least favourite teacher was a chap at Crosby who had a penchant of throwing the blackboard rubber thingy at you if you weren't paying attention. A nasty piece of work he was,  I won't mention his name on here but he was later jailed for interfering with one of the girls in a store cupboard.

A special mention for French teacher at Chelly Miss Lickerish, I think all the boys used to like her.  

We all like a bit of liquorice Les 😉

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 67
KingstonMariner
March 19, 2021, 12:49pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Leo wasn't my maths teacher so I can't comment on his teaching skills. Mine was Mr Woodhead, known as w@nker Woodhead by one and all.

Apart from those two weeks of A-level, LS didn’t teach me, so no can’t really comment on his teaching skills. It was the subject and let’s say ‘the culture’ of the other students I found boring 😁. But Leo as head of sixth form I found petty and unfair. Our group had Woodhead for O-level. Nothing stands out other than he was a bit boring.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 67
cmackenzie4
March 19, 2021, 12:53pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.26
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from Les Brechin

I knew Mr Carbutt, he was a great teacher, he’d play the guitar to us, I remember him doing his version of “Old Shep”  good memories Les, that would have been around 1981/1982

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 67
KingstonMariner
March 19, 2021, 12:55pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Manchester Mariner

I finished at Lindsey in 94 and pretty much all of them teachers were still there. Mr Taylor was my form teacher at the lower school, due to his penchant for giving out lines to pupils and then making them rip them up once completed he was disliked by a lot, but firm but fair is a good summarisation and I liked him. Mr Payne was my Geography teacher, again could be quite a strict teacher but also had humour with his 'Payne by name and payne by nature' catchphrases or threats to use the 'soggy arm treatment' which apparently was cutting your arm off and then beating you with the soggy end.  

Before Lindsey I went to Middlethorpe Primary School were my favourite teacher was ex Town player Alan Woodward. I was obsessed with the sports pages of teletext at the time and he would always ask me stuff like who won the Welsh Open at the weekend sort of thing. Even though I was a pretty awful footballer he stuck me in the school team which raised my confidence no end despite spending most the time as a sub. I'll never forget the time he pushed an unruly kid into the store cupboard and seemingly the entire contents of the cupboard crashed onto the floor. The same kid also got stuck in the bin head first by him once although that was more in jest.  I assume he's retired from teaching now, last thing I heard about him was a couple of years ago making an appearance at BP with some other members of Lawrie McMenemy’s squad of the 70's.

Who was the woman Geography teacher? Assuming she was still there in your day. Dark hair and glasses. Was deputy head of sixth form.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 67
Les Brechin
March 19, 2021, 1:08pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,709
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from cmackenzie4

I knew Mr Carbutt, he was a great teacher, he’d play the guitar to us, I remember him doing his version of “Old Shep”  good memories Les, that would have been around 1981/1982

It was a lot earlier than that when I left Crosby Chris. I left there in 1976 but yes, Mr Carbutt(no wheels) did used to entertain us with his guitar.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 67
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 19, 2021, 2:42pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
We moved to Cleethorpes in 1958 and I went to Clee Grammar as it was then. Have to admit I did not rate Colin Shaw or the school very highly even in retrospect. There were some characters on the staff but not necessarily great teachers and any results we got were more down to our own attitudes and aptitudes than any great teaching talent. Sid Boot was the deputy and Maths teacher. When he died Sam Osborne took over, then he died and we had Jock Roberts. Sadly he too died so with 3 dead maths teachers in 5 years my maths education was rather bitty!

Owen Roberts' son Paul was a fine cricketer. He died aged 25 and it hit Owen very hard.John Roe was our form master and O level Eng Lit teacher. What I remember about him was his wife/girlfriend who came to some event at the school and he introduced her to us. This would be 1962/3 and she was wearing a sheath dress and white stilettos, imagine the effect on a class of hormonal schoolboys!

Ted Parr was Geography, pretty near retirement. Very traditional but one of the better teachers. He lived on Great Coates Road opposite the golf course. The other geographer was Martin Pask who I believe was related to Pask Photographers. I did Latin up to the 4th year and then packed it up. There was "non casu" of me passing O Level. The teacher was Bert Marshall and poor chap was hopeless. As a person he was fine though, his son was Edmund Marshall later an MP for many years. The best qualified person on the staff was Ted Lawley who had two degrees but was for some reason relegated to taking the lower and younger forms. History was "Twiggy" Birch, knowledgeable chap who treated us well as did his History colleague Russell Cook who I think moved on to the Girls Grammar School.
The Deputy and Head of 6th Form when I was in it was Norman Farmer. Effectively he was running the school. I had nothing personal against Shaw but I thought he ran the place like a would-be public school which of course it almost was when he took over. You could be admitted as a fee paying pupil until the mid 50s I think.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 67
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › School Days

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.