ginnywings
March 17, 2021, 7:26pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Bursar St. Late 60s-74. Can’t remember many names. Stand out was Miss Over who we had in 1st and 4th year juniors. Pushed us hard but it gave us a good grounding. Had really nice young teacher in 3rd year, name gone from my head.
Oh and Miss Metcalfe, infants headmistress. Very good.

Got sent to Lindsey for secondary school, which was a buddy because nearly everyone else I knew went to Matthew. Stand outs for me were Gordon Taylor, History O-Level. Another one who was firm but fair. But with the added bonus he regaled us with anecdotes and brought the subject alive. Then Tony McCabe for A-Level history and Economics. He was the right teacher at the right time for me. Very sharp and bright Scouser. Introduced us to different schools of thought and deepened my interest in the subject and went on to do history at university as a result. A lifelong passion for the subject.

Some others worth a mention at Lindsey: Yvonne Ellison, English - good teacher and a schoolboy fantasy figure 😁. Misters Minette and Payne, geography - not the most exciting lessons but got the subject across to the extent I can still have a decent conversation 40 years later with my son who’s a geography graduate.

Tony McCabe was a cool guy, still is. Often used to see him around Meggies and sometimes in Willy's Wine Bar. Not seen him for a while. Was a local councillor, don't know if he still is.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 67
fishyfanny
March 17, 2021, 9:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.94
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,516
Gold Stars: 15
I went to Trunscoe Junior that's fairly recently demolished. Had mostly good teachers there, Mrs Swaby, Mrs Clarke and Mr Threppleton to name a few. I didn't like Miss Evans, she was a bit of a battleaxe and like a character out of a Dickens novel, very scary.

Went on to Mathew Humberston in '79. First form tutor was Mr Mottershead who was the woodwork teacher and a lovely bloke. At the upper school in Chatsworth Place there was a Mr Flodman who was my English teacher, but my recollection is that he was a nice bloke.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 67
promotion plaice
March 17, 2021, 11:14pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,956
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from fishyfanny
I went to Trunscoe Junior that's fairly recently demolished. Had mostly good teachers there, Mrs Swaby, Mrs Clarke and Mr Threppleton to name a few. I didn't like Miss Evans, she was a bit of a battleaxe and like a character out of a Dickens novel, very scary.

Went on to Mathew Humberston in '79. First form tutor was Mr Mottershead who was the woodwork teacher and a lovely bloke. At the upper school in Chatsworth Place there was a Mr Flodman who was my English teacher, but my recollection is that he was a nice bloke.

I must have the Flodman thing wrong then, just the impression that I got at the time. Like I said he never taught us.

Yeah my woodwork teacher was also Mr Mottershead, as you say a nice bloke.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 67
KingstonMariner
March 18, 2021, 3:24am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from ginnywings

Tony McCabe was a cool guy, still is. Often used to see him around Meggies and sometimes in Willy's Wine Bar. Not seen him for a while. Was a local councillor, don't know if he still is.

We used to have a drink or several with him. When we were 18 of course.    We 'discovered' the Sands Club through him.

I went through a spell a few years back of bumping into him down the Sea Front walking his dog, when on our visits to my mum's. Think he retired from the council years ago.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 67
Sandford1981
March 18, 2021, 2:02pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,074
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from DB
Well as you know I wasn't born in this area. What I can tell you is that none of my scools were in the "Approved Type category". O and they didn't teach me about the english language or how to spell!

I wasnt aware you were not born locally DB?
Also are you saying you didn’t go to school or what? I think I may be missing something? (Happens all the time!)

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 67
Connecticut Mariner
March 18, 2021, 5:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +716
Gold Stars: 7
Thrunscoe Infants
Bursar Junior
Clee Grammar in early 70's which merged with Beacon Hill as part of comprehensive education - we transferred to Beacon Hill site but our class remained together. This move led to a lot of the elderly teachers at Clee Grammar retiring e.g. Ben Leake (Geography), Harry Marshall (History). We used to wind Harry up by starting questions with "Surely..." and he would always reply that you shouldn't start a question with surely as it sounds like you already know the answer! We had some good teachers - Alf Manning (Latin - arranged a trip to Hadrian's Wall which included some of the girls from Beacon Hill!), Bob Wheeler (Physics). I recall Jonty Driver being a good 6th form director.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 67
ginnywings
March 18, 2021, 6:30pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from KingstonMariner

We used to have a drink or several with him. When we were 18 of course.    We 'discovered' the Sands Club through him.

I went through a spell a few years back of bumping into him down the Sea Front walking his dog, when on our visits to my mum's. Think he retired from the council years ago.

Yeah, had a few beers with him at the Sands. Leo Solomon too, erstwhile maths teacher and leader of the Leo Solomon Trio, who played the Sands now and again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 67
KingstonMariner
March 18, 2021, 6:55pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from ginnywings

Yeah, had a few beers with him at the Sands. Leo Solomon too, erstwhile maths teacher and leader of the Leo Solomon Trio, who played the Sands now and again.

Solomon and I never got on. Might have been me dropping A-Level Maths after two weeks, and telling him I found it boring. 😁 I switched to History and the rest is history.

I never found him particularly fair.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 67
ginnywings
March 18, 2021, 9:48pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Leo wasn't my maths teacher so I can't comment on his teaching skills. Mine was Mr Woodhead, known as w@nker Woodhead by one and all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 67
barralad
March 18, 2021, 9:50pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,196
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from promotion plaice

When we came over from Hull I went to St Peters on the Ave. Mr Boncey was our headmaster and he was a bit of an amateur magician, used to enjoy his shows at school.

The went on to Beacon Hill which became Matthew Humberston while I was there. There was a teacher there that I think most people were frightened of, think his name was Flodman (he never taught us).
Mr Johnson was our headmaster when I started if I remember rightly.

I didn't really like school and was over the moon when the day came to leave in 1976.

Then went on to Grimsby College on day release as an apprentice motor mechanic.

Ah "Baz" Flodman....fearsome reputation but not too bad a teacher. Johnson was a bit of a tosser.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 67
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.