7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
barralad
March 19, 2021, 3:58pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
We moved to Cleethorpes in 1958 and I went to Clee Grammar as it was then. Have to admit I did not rate Colin Shaw or the school very highly even in retrospect. There were some characters on the staff but not necessarily great teachers and any results we got were more down to our own attitudes and aptitudes than any great teaching talent. Sid Boot was the deputy and Maths teacher. When he died Sam Osborne took over, then he died and we had Jock Roberts. Sadly he too died so with 3 dead maths teachers in 5 years my maths education was rather bitty!

Owen Roberts' son Paul was a fine cricketer. He died aged 25 and it hit Owen very hard.John Roe was our form master and O level Eng Lit teacher. What I remember about him was his wife/girlfriend who came to some event at the school and he introduced her to us. This would be 1962/3 and she was wearing a sheath dress and white stilettos, imagine the effect on a class of hormonal schoolboys!

Ted Parr was Geography, pretty near retirement. Very traditional but one of the better teachers. He lived on Great Coates Road opposite the golf course. The other geographer was Martin Pask who I believe was related to Pask Photographers. I did Latin up to the 4th year and then packed it up. There was "non casu" of me passing O Level. The teacher was Bert Marshall and poor chap was hopeless. As a person he was fine though, his son was Edmund Marshall later an MP for many years. The best qualified person on the staff was Ted Lawley who had two degrees but was for some reason relegated to taking the lower and younger forms. History was "Twiggy" Birch, knowledgeable chap who treated us well as did his History colleague Russell Cook who I think moved on to the Girls Grammar School.
The Deputy and Head of 6th Form when I was in it was Norman Farmer. Effectively he was running the school. I had nothing personal against Shaw but I thought he ran the place like a would-be public school which of course it almost was when he took over. You could be admitted as a fee paying pupil until the mid 50s I think.

Martin Pask is a very good friend of mine who tells some great stories about his time teaching at Clee with particular reference to the eccentricities of Colin Shaw. There is in existence a piece of paper which lists many of his accidentally humorous pronouncements to both staff and pupils which was prepared by the staff at the time.
Martin and his wife moved to York just before first lock down but am in regular touch with him.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 67
Hants.Mariner
March 19, 2021, 6:54pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +98
Gold Stars: 1
I think Martin Pask went on to be Head of Geography at Toll Bar. I was there between 1975-82 part of the penultimate intake from Humberston before the new comprehensive opened them.
I also recall my mother telling me she babysat him in his younger days.

Whilst we were at Toll Bar one of our PE teachers was Alan Boxall who was also moonlighting as a centre back for Scunthorpe at the time.

The world weighs on my shoulders
But what am I to do
You sometimes drive me crazy
But I worry about you
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 67
DB
March 19, 2021, 7:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.48
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,000
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from Sandford1981

I wasnt aware you were not born locally DB?
Also are you saying you didn’t go to school or what? I think I may be missing something? (Happens all the time!)

I did go to school and was born and lived 7 miles from Scunny. Dad brought me up as a town fan from 4 yrs, started going to BP at 5 years. As far as I recall a poor gate was 17,000! Those were the days, if were lucky the bus might have had radio, sometimes. The bus was always parked in what is now the directors/shop car park.

Perhaps you might say my schooling was being a town fan, my mam always said if she won the pools she'd buy town a player. So you may see where my passion has come from and hence the number of posts. Bred into me from an early age.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 67
moosey_club
March 19, 2021, 8:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Sandford1981
Which school did you go to?
Who was/were your favourite teacher(s) and why?
Who was/were your least favourite teacher(s) and why?
Any amusing stories?

I went to Wintringham School. My favourite teachers were Trevor Bailey and Tim Neave.

Mr Bailey came with a fearsome reputation as some ex prison guard who was hard as nails. Funny how Chinese whispers work. Seemed to be bigger in stature than he actually was. Whether that was presence or the fact we were skinny kids I don’t really know. Being sports mad I always got on with him apart from when he stopped me playing football because I refused to do cross country for for the school. I’d only refused as it would stop me playing footy on a Saturday. Anyway I found him to be a really good teacher who made even boring lessons engaging.

Haha, had the same treatment but different school / different teacher, Mr Brown at Lindsey. Wouldnt pick me for the school team unless I represented at cross country first.  Hated the bloke, got the slipper off him at Lower Lindsey " for being inside the school building during lunch" , then the football team bribery, an all round class one cnt in my book.
So imagine my delight when a few years after leaving school he came home early to find me half naked with his daughter in his living room....I thought when she was slapping my bottom it felt vaguely familiar 🤣
Never been more pleased to miss out just seeing the look on his face.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 67
Sandford1981
March 19, 2021, 8:55pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from moosey_club

Haha, had the same treatment but different school / different teacher, Mr Brown at Lindsey. Wouldnt pick me for the school team unless I represented at cross country first.  Hated the bloke, got the slipper off him at Lower Lindsey " for being inside the school building during lunch" , then the football team bribery, an all round class one cnt in my book.
So imagine my delight when a few years after leaving school he came home early to find me half naked with his daughter in his living room....I thought when she was slapping my bottom it felt vaguely familiar 🤣

That’s absolutely brilliant! 😂😂😂
Just read it to my better half. Tickled me has that

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 67
KingstonMariner
March 19, 2021, 9:10pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from moosey_club

Was Brown the one who ran the rugby team?

I was good at rugby but wouldn’t go to training at dinner time. I said I’m happy to go to any training after school. Needless to say I never got picked. Part of my attitude problem was that they initially picked the football team, then also picked the same lads for the rugby team regardless of ability. I was shite at football but knew I was better at rugby than most of the footballers. Then to cap it all I was told “you should be proud to represent the school”. I didn’t even want to go to that school, let alone be proud of it, wasn’t a popular thing to say to a teacher 😆

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 67
Sandford1981
March 19, 2021, 9:41pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Quoted from DB

I did go to school and was born and lived 7 miles from Scunny. Dad brought me up as a town fan from 4 yrs, started going to BP at 5 years. As far as I recall a poor gate was 17,000! Those were the days, if were lucky the bus might have had radio, sometimes. The bus was always parked in what is now the directors/shop car park.

Perhaps you might say my schooling was being a town fan, my mam always said if she won the pools she'd buy town a player. So you may see where my passion has come from and hence the number of posts. Bred into me from an early age.

Fair play DB. Passion is what makes us tick and I’d certainly expect it in shovels on here.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 67
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
March 19, 2021, 11:26pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Quoted from Les Brechin

It was a lot earlier than that when I left Crosby Chris. I left there in 1976 but yes, Mr Carbutt(no wheels) did used to entertain us with his guitar.

I left in '76 too although I was a year lower than you Les. Did you live on Stainton Drive? Mr Carbutt was my class teacher in my last year. I was a little shocked when I heard about the teacher (Mr. C) and the lewd acts, I found out in my first year at Hereford when I met an ex Crosby pupil.

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 67
ginnywings
March 20, 2021, 2:59am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Was Brown the one who ran the rugby team?

I was good at rugby but wouldn’t go to training at dinner time. I said I’m happy to go to any training after school. Needless to say I never got picked. Part of my attitude problem was that they initially picked the football team, then also picked the same lads for the rugby team regardless of ability. I was shite at football but knew I was better at rugby than most of the footballers. Then to cap it all I was told “you should be proud to represent the school”. I didn’t even want to go to that school, let alone be proud of it, wasn’t a popular thing to say to a teacher 😆

I think he was yes. Moosey is right, he was a coont. I was and am a stocky type and he wanted me to play Rugby and I refused because I hate the game. Of course, I was then precluded from the football team as a punishment. Got a vague memory of an accent of some sort. Was he a Geordie?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 67
KingstonMariner
March 20, 2021, 4:30am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from ginnywings

I think he was yes. Moosey is right, he was a coont. I was and am a stocky type and he wanted me to play Rugby and I refused because I hate the game. Of course, I was then precluded from the football team as a punishment. Got a vague memory of an accent of some sort. Was he a Geordie?

Definitely north east. Don’t know if it was Geordie, Mackem or Smoggie.

My mate used to urine him off by saying ‘can we play League’. But then he drunk him off anyway because he was one of the kids who used to stand around the goalpost hoping the ball would come no where near 😁

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 67
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › School Days

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.