Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Non Football  /  
Posted by: Sandford1981, March 17, 2021, 9:21am
Which school did you go to?
Who was/were your favourite teacher(s) and why?
Who was/were your least favourite teacher(s) and why?
Any amusing stories?

I went to Wintringham School. My favourite teachers were Trevor Bailey and Tim Neave.

Mr Bailey came with a fearsome reputation as some ex prison guard who was hard as nails. Funny how Chinese whispers work. Seemed to be bigger in stature than he actually was. Whether that was presence or the fact we were skinny kids I don’t really know. Being sports mad I always got on with him apart from when he stopped me playing football because I refused to do cross country for for the school. I’d only refused as it would stop me playing footy on a Saturday. Anyway I found him to be a really good teacher who made even boring lessons engaging.

Mr Neave was an absolute star. His English and drama lessons were outstanding. He was so engaging and had an element of rebellion to him as he wouldn’t conform to brushing his hair or ironing his shirts. It was cool. He always talked to you like an adult and about subjects other teachers would shy away from. He allowed you to eat and drink and would, if he trusted you, let you complete other work you had not done for other lessons, so long as you caught up his work at home. He was just so out of keeping with the archetypal secondary school teacher. I remember going to watch a group with him called ‘the Nanas’ at the winter gardens. I could go on and on but he is a ‘proper’ legend and someone ill not forget.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, March 17, 2021, 9:54am; Reply: 1
Great thread Sandford 👍

I went to Strand street infant school (opposite the flats) (1974) then on to Grange infants as well as Bradley park middle school and then onto Western comprehensive (no longer there unfortunately) best days of my life, I left school in 1986 and then went on to Grimsby college then into the Royal Navy and when I left the Navy in 1994 I had various jobs then ended up working for the Railway 2002 until now (should be doing this job till retirement age) I love my job.

My favourite teacher was Mr Staniforth and Mr Leafe (both from Western school) they were both excellent teachers who taught me a lot of life skills, they was firm but fair, they’d tell us old stories and in doing so we would miss most of the lesson haha good memories.
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 17, 2021, 10:39am; Reply: 2

When we came over from Hull I went to St Peters on the Ave. Mr Boncey was our headmaster and he was a bit of an amateur magician, used to enjoy his shows at school.

The went on to Beacon Hill which became Matthew Humberston while I was there. There was a teacher there that I think most people were frightened of, think his name was Flodman (he never taught us).
Mr Johnson was our headmaster when I started if I remember rightly.

I didn't really like school and was over the moon when the day came to leave in 1976.

Then went on to Grimsby College on day release as an apprentice motor mechanic.

Posted by: grimsby pete, March 17, 2021, 1:43pm; Reply: 3
When we moved back to the area I also went to St Peter's Mrs Powers was head then Mr Boncey when she retired.

Also went to Beacon Hill where John Fraser and Peter Kidd were my favourite teachers.

While serving a apprenticeship as a bricklayer went to the College of Further Education one day a week plus night school.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 17, 2021, 2:27pm; Reply: 4
Bursar St. Late 60s-74. Can’t remember many names. Stand out was Miss Over who we had in 1st and 4th year juniors. Pushed us hard but it gave us a good grounding. Had really nice young teacher in 3rd year, name gone from my head.
Oh and Miss Metcalfe, infants headmistress. Very good.

Got sent to Lindsey for secondary school, which was a buddy because nearly everyone else I knew went to Matthew. Stand outs for me were Gordon Taylor, History O-Level. Another one who was firm but fair. But with the added bonus he regaled us with anecdotes and brought the subject alive. Then Tony McCabe for A-Level history and Economics. He was the right teacher at the right time for me. Very sharp and bright Scouser. Introduced us to different schools of thought and deepened my interest in the subject and went on to do history at university as a result. A lifelong passion for the subject.

Some others worth a mention at Lindsey: Yvonne Ellison, English - good teacher and a schoolboy fantasy figure 😁. Misters Minette and Payne, geography - not the most exciting lessons but got the subject across to the extent I can still have a decent conversation 40 years later with my son who’s a geography graduate.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 17, 2021, 2:29pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from promotion plaice

When we came over from Hull I went to St Peters on the Ave. Mr Boncey was our headmaster and he was a bit of an amateur magician, used to enjoy his shows at school.

The went on to Beacon Hill which became Matthew Humberston while I was there. There was a teacher there that I think most people were frightened of, think his name was Flodman (he never taught us).

I didn't really like school and was over the moon when the day came to leave in 1976.

You’d have been at Matthew same time as my brother then. Think he left in about 75.
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 17, 2021, 3:52pm; Reply: 6
I was at Beacon Hill from 1959-1963.

Just like to add they were keen to give you a wack or two with the cane. ( they would be arrested today )  :)

Our biology teacher was a laugh if you mis behaved in his class he would march you into his store room.
Get his cane out and wack the bench and say let that be a lesson for you.

You came out rubbing your hand , all the girls thought he had hit you but the boys knew different.  ;D
Posted by: DB, March 17, 2021, 4:02pm; Reply: 7
Well as you know I wasn't born in this area. What I can tell you is that none of my scools were in the "Approved Type category". O and they didn't teach me about the english language or how to spell!
Posted by: BlackandWhiteBarmy2, March 17, 2021, 4:28pm; Reply: 8
Nunny Infants then to Crosby Infants (as it was then) when it opened. Onto Crosby Middle until the end of the 3rd year when we became upwardly socially mobile and moved house and so I spent the last year of middle school (not juniors, system was different in Grimsby) at Welholme. Senior school was Hereford, which has since been knocked down and replaced by the Ormiston Maritime Academy.

Favourite teacher was probably Miss Duff (Geography), least favourite Miss Gregory (Maths) ironically both of them were at school with my mother at Wintringham, when it was a grammar school dontcha know.

Nothing amusing happened at school.
Posted by: Sandford1981, March 17, 2021, 6:13pm; Reply: 9
At Wintringham we had a teacher who was unpopular called Mr Keightley. Owing to the fact he had big lips, he gained the nickname ‘codders’. Cruelly, as was the way back then and in part due to him being a bit of a male private we teased him relentlessly with all fish related scenarios and names.

After school one night a group of us stole a full rainbow trout from a friends mum’s fridge and hot tailed it down to the school under the cover of darkness and preceded to gaffer tape the fish to his classroom window. We even put a ciggy in its mouth as an added bit of humour. The next day we arrived at school expecting a reaction and got nothing at all. Zero. Zilch! It was disconcerting, gutting and to say the least more than a dent to our collective ego. Ah well you win some, lose some.

It wasn’t until we went to our English lesson in the afternoon did we get our recognition. Mr Neave knowing our dislike for our tutor, pulled us aside and began verbally probing us for information hardly keeping a smirk from his face. It was then he asked us why Mr Keightley was walking round the staff room first thing that morning chuntering to himself, carrying a fish around with him!!

Needless to say it was priceless and one of many favourite memories of my school days.
Posted by: ginnywings, March 17, 2021, 7:26pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Bursar St. Late 60s-74. Can’t remember many names. Stand out was Miss Over who we had in 1st and 4th year juniors. Pushed us hard but it gave us a good grounding. Had really nice young teacher in 3rd year, name gone from my head.
Oh and Miss Metcalfe, infants headmistress. Very good.

Got sent to Lindsey for secondary school, which was a buddy because nearly everyone else I knew went to Matthew. Stand outs for me were Gordon Taylor, History O-Level. Another one who was firm but fair. But with the added bonus he regaled us with anecdotes and brought the subject alive. Then Tony McCabe for A-Level history and Economics. He was the right teacher at the right time for me. Very sharp and bright Scouser. Introduced us to different schools of thought and deepened my interest in the subject and went on to do history at university as a result. A lifelong passion for the subject.

Some others worth a mention at Lindsey: Yvonne Ellison, English - good teacher and a schoolboy fantasy figure 😁. Misters Minette and Payne, geography - not the most exciting lessons but got the subject across to the extent I can still have a decent conversation 40 years later with my son who’s a geography graduate.

Tony McCabe was a cool guy, still is. Often used to see him around Meggies and sometimes in Willy's Wine Bar. Not seen him for a while. Was a local councillor, don't know if he still is.
Posted by: fishyfanny, March 17, 2021, 9:20pm; Reply: 11
I went to Trunscoe Junior that's fairly recently demolished. Had mostly good teachers there, Mrs Swaby, Mrs Clarke and Mr Threppleton to name a few. I didn't like Miss Evans, she was a bit of a battleaxe and like a character out of a Dickens novel, very scary.

Went on to Mathew Humberston in '79. First form tutor was Mr Mottershead who was the woodwork teacher and a lovely bloke. At the upper school in Chatsworth Place there was a Mr Flodman who was my English teacher, but my recollection is that he was a nice bloke.
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 17, 2021, 11:14pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from fishyfanny
I went to Trunscoe Junior that's fairly recently demolished. Had mostly good teachers there, Mrs Swaby, Mrs Clarke and Mr Threppleton to name a few. I didn't like Miss Evans, she was a bit of a battleaxe and like a character out of a Dickens novel, very scary.

Went on to Mathew Humberston in '79. First form tutor was Mr Mottershead who was the woodwork teacher and a lovely bloke. At the upper school in Chatsworth Place there was a Mr Flodman who was my English teacher, but my recollection is that he was a nice bloke.

I must have the Flodman thing wrong then, just the impression that I got at the time. Like I said he never taught us.

Yeah my woodwork teacher was also Mr Mottershead, as you say a nice bloke.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 18, 2021, 3:24am; Reply: 13
Quoted from ginnywings

Tony McCabe was a cool guy, still is. Often used to see him around Meggies and sometimes in Willy's Wine Bar. Not seen him for a while. Was a local councillor, don't know if he still is.

We used to have a drink or several with him. When we were 18 of course.  ;)  We 'discovered' the Sands Club through him.

I went through a spell a few years back of bumping into him down the Sea Front walking his dog, when on our visits to my mum's. Think he retired from the council years ago.
Posted by: Sandford1981, March 18, 2021, 2:02pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from DB
Well as you know I wasn't born in this area. What I can tell you is that none of my scools were in the "Approved Type category". O and they didn't teach me about the english language or how to spell!

I wasnt aware you were not born locally DB?
Also are you saying you didn’t go to school or what? I think I may be missing something? (Happens all the time!)
Posted by: Connecticut Mariner, March 18, 2021, 5:07pm; Reply: 15
Thrunscoe Infants
Bursar Junior
Clee Grammar in early 70's which merged with Beacon Hill as part of comprehensive education - we transferred to Beacon Hill site but our class remained together. This move led to a lot of the elderly teachers at Clee Grammar retiring e.g. Ben Leake (Geography), Harry Marshall (History). We used to wind Harry up by starting questions with "Surely..." and he would always reply that you shouldn't start a question with surely as it sounds like you already know the answer! We had some good teachers - Alf Manning (Latin - arranged a trip to Hadrian's Wall which included some of the girls from Beacon Hill!), Bob Wheeler (Physics). I recall Jonty Driver being a good 6th form director.
Posted by: ginnywings, March 18, 2021, 6:30pm; Reply: 16

We used to have a drink or several with him. When we were 18 of course.  ;)  We 'discovered' the Sands Club through him.

I went through a spell a few years back of bumping into him down the Sea Front walking his dog, when on our visits to my mum's. Think he retired from the council years ago.

Yeah, had a few beers with him at the Sands. Leo Solomon too, erstwhile maths teacher and leader of the Leo Solomon Trio, who played the Sands now and again.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 18, 2021, 6:55pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from ginnywings

Yeah, had a few beers with him at the Sands. Leo Solomon too, erstwhile maths teacher and leader of the Leo Solomon Trio, who played the Sands now and again.

Solomon and I never got on. Might have been me dropping A-Level Maths after two weeks, and telling him I found it boring. 😁 I switched to History and the rest is history.

I never found him particularly fair.
Posted by: ginnywings, March 18, 2021, 9:48pm; Reply: 18
Leo wasn't my maths teacher so I can't comment on his teaching skills. Mine was Mr Woodhead, known as w@nker Woodhead by one and all.
Posted by: barralad, March 18, 2021, 9:50pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from promotion plaice

Ah "Baz" Flodman....fearsome reputation but not too bad a teacher. Johnson was a bit of a tosser.
Posted by: barralad, March 18, 2021, 10:01pm; Reply: 20
Started school down in Sussex in1963. (South Lancing Primary). Moved to Grimsby in 66 and started at New Waltham primary with some brilliant teachers- Mr Mitchell and Brian Nicholson (who still lives in Waltham I believe).
Went to Clee Grammar in 69 under the headship of Colin Shaw, Some great characters amongst the teaching staff..Johnny Roe, Ben Leake, Ted Parr and the head of games Owen Roberts who was one of the England Schools selectors. One of my favourite teachers was Steve Plowes later of "Sing When We're Fishing" fame who gained life long approval for getting caught trying to climb over the fence to get into B.P for nowt.  Clee became Matthew Humberstone in 74 and I spent two years in the sixth form under Jonty Driver a South African who was an anti-apartheid protestor and a novelist-very interesting bloke who I came across again a few years back reading a lesson at Nelson Mandela's memorial service at St Pauls
Posted by: barralad, March 18, 2021, 10:13pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from ginnywings

Leo Solomon is still on the go I think. He plays the piano at the Clee Grammar yearly reunion. He's in his 90s I believe.
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, March 19, 2021, 11:04am; Reply: 22

I finished at Lindsey in 94 and pretty much all of them teachers were still there. Mr Taylor was my form teacher at the lower school, due to his penchant for giving out lines to pupils and then making them rip them up once completed he was disliked by a lot, but firm but fair is a good summarisation and I liked him. Mr Payne was my Geography teacher, again could be quite a strict teacher but also had humour with his 'Payne by name and payne by nature' catchphrases or threats to use the 'soggy arm treatment' which apparently was cutting your arm off and then beating you with the soggy end.  ;D

Before Lindsey I went to Middlethorpe Primary School were my favourite teacher was ex Town player Alan Woodward. I was obsessed with the sports pages of teletext at the time and he would always ask me stuff like who won the Welsh Open at the weekend sort of thing. Even though I was a pretty awful footballer he stuck me in the school team which raised my confidence no end despite spending most the time as a sub. I'll never forget the time he pushed an unruly kid into the store cupboard and seemingly the entire contents of the cupboard crashed onto the floor. The same kid also got stuck in the bin head first by him once although that was more in jest.  I assume he's retired from teaching now, last thing I heard about him was a couple of years ago making an appearance at BP with some other members of Lawrie McMenemy’s squad of the 70's.

Posted by: Les Brechin, March 19, 2021, 12:21pm; Reply: 23
I went to Nunny infants school and had 1 year at the main Nunny school before moving to Crosby (as it was then) when Bradley Park was built. After that went to Chelmsford until I left in 1980.

Favourite teacher at Crosby was Mr Carbutt (who sadly passed away recently) and although I was a pit crap at PE, favourite teacher at Chelly was Mr Otton.

Least favourite teacher was a chap at Crosby who had a penchant of throwing the blackboard rubber thingy at you if you weren't paying attention. A nasty piece of work he was,  I won't mention his name on here but he was later jailed for interfering with one of the girls in a store cupboard.

A special mention for French teacher at Chelly Miss Lickerish, I think all the boys used to like her.  :)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 19, 2021, 12:43pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Les Brechin
I went to Nunny infants school and had 1 year at the main Nunny school before moving to Crosby (as it was then) when Bradley Park was built. After that went to Chelmsford until I left in 1980.

Favourite teacher at Crosby was Mr Carbutt (who sadly passed away recently) and although I was a pit crap at PE, favourite teacher at Chelly was Mr Otton.

Least favourite teacher was a chap at Crosby who had a penchant of throwing the blackboard rubber thingy at you if you weren't paying attention. A nasty piece of work he was,  I won't mention his name on here but he was later jailed for interfering with one of the girls in a store cupboard.

A special mention for French teacher at Chelly Miss Lickerish, I think all the boys used to like her.  :)

We all like a bit of liquorice Les 😉
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 19, 2021, 12:49pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from ginnywings
Leo wasn't my maths teacher so I can't comment on his teaching skills. Mine was Mr Woodhead, known as w@nker Woodhead by one and all.

Apart from those two weeks of A-level, LS didn’t teach me, so no can’t really comment on his teaching skills. It was the subject and let’s say ‘the culture’ of the other students I found boring 😁. But Leo as head of sixth form I found petty and unfair. Our group had Woodhead for O-level. Nothing stands out other than he was a bit boring.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, March 19, 2021, 12:53pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Les Brechin

I knew Mr Carbutt, he was a great teacher, he’d play the guitar to us, I remember him doing his version of “Old Shep”  good memories Les, that would have been around 1981/1982
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 19, 2021, 12:55pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Manchester Mariner

I finished at Lindsey in 94 and pretty much all of them teachers were still there. Mr Taylor was my form teacher at the lower school, due to his penchant for giving out lines to pupils and then making them rip them up once completed he was disliked by a lot, but firm but fair is a good summarisation and I liked him. Mr Payne was my Geography teacher, again could be quite a strict teacher but also had humour with his 'Payne by name and payne by nature' catchphrases or threats to use the 'soggy arm treatment' which apparently was cutting your arm off and then beating you with the soggy end.  ;D

Before Lindsey I went to Middlethorpe Primary School were my favourite teacher was ex Town player Alan Woodward. I was obsessed with the sports pages of teletext at the time and he would always ask me stuff like who won the Welsh Open at the weekend sort of thing. Even though I was a pretty awful footballer he stuck me in the school team which raised my confidence no end despite spending most the time as a sub. I'll never forget the time he pushed an unruly kid into the store cupboard and seemingly the entire contents of the cupboard crashed onto the floor. The same kid also got stuck in the bin head first by him once although that was more in jest.  I assume he's retired from teaching now, last thing I heard about him was a couple of years ago making an appearance at BP with some other members of Lawrie McMenemy’s squad of the 70's.

Who was the woman Geography teacher? Assuming she was still there in your day. Dark hair and glasses. Was deputy head of sixth form.
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 19, 2021, 1:08pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from cmackenzie4

I knew Mr Carbutt, he was a great teacher, he’d play the guitar to us, I remember him doing his version of “Old Shep”  good memories Les, that would have been around 1981/1982

It was a lot earlier than that when I left Crosby Chris. I left there in 1976 but yes, Mr Carbutt(no wheels) did used to entertain us with his guitar.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, March 19, 2021, 2:42pm; Reply: 29
We moved to Cleethorpes in 1958 and I went to Clee Grammar as it was then. Have to admit I did not rate Colin Shaw or the school very highly even in retrospect. There were some characters on the staff but not necessarily great teachers and any results we got were more down to our own attitudes and aptitudes than any great teaching talent. Sid Boot was the deputy and Maths teacher. When he died Sam Osborne took over, then he died and we had Jock Roberts. Sadly he too died so with 3 dead maths teachers in 5 years my maths education was rather bitty!

Owen Roberts' son Paul was a fine cricketer. He died aged 25 and it hit Owen very hard.John Roe was our form master and O level Eng Lit teacher. What I remember about him was his wife/girlfriend who came to some event at the school and he introduced her to us. This would be 1962/3 and she was wearing a sheath dress and white stilettos, imagine the effect on a class of hormonal schoolboys! 8) ;D

Ted Parr was Geography, pretty near retirement. Very traditional but one of the better teachers. He lived on Great Coates Road opposite the golf course. The other geographer was Martin Pask who I believe was related to Pask Photographers. I did Latin up to the 4th year and then packed it up. There was "non casu" of me passing O Level. The teacher was Bert Marshall and poor chap was hopeless. As a person he was fine though, his son was Edmund Marshall later an MP for many years. The best qualified person on the staff was Ted Lawley who had two degrees but was for some reason relegated to taking the lower and younger forms. History was "Twiggy" Birch, knowledgeable chap who treated us well as did his History colleague Russell Cook who I think moved on to the Girls Grammar School.
The Deputy and Head of 6th Form when I was in it was Norman Farmer. Effectively he was running the school. I had nothing personal against Shaw but I thought he ran the place like a would-be public school which of course it almost was when he took over. You could be admitted as a fee paying pupil until the mid 50s I think.
Posted by: barralad, March 19, 2021, 3:58pm; Reply: 30
We moved to Cleethorpes in 1958 and I went to Clee Grammar as it was then. Have to admit I did not rate Colin Shaw or the school very highly even in retrospect. There were some characters on the staff but not necessarily great teachers and any results we got were more down to our own attitudes and aptitudes than any great teaching talent. Sid Boot was the deputy and Maths teacher. When he died Sam Osborne took over, then he died and we had Jock Roberts. Sadly he too died so with 3 dead maths teachers in 5 years my maths education was rather bitty!

Owen Roberts' son Paul was a fine cricketer. He died aged 25 and it hit Owen very hard.John Roe was our form master and O level Eng Lit teacher. What I remember about him was his wife/girlfriend who came to some event at the school and he introduced her to us. This would be 1962/3 and she was wearing a sheath dress and white stilettos, imagine the effect on a class of hormonal schoolboys! 8) ;D

Ted Parr was Geography, pretty near retirement. Very traditional but one of the better teachers. He lived on Great Coates Road opposite the golf course. The other geographer was Martin Pask who I believe was related to Pask Photographers. I did Latin up to the 4th year and then packed it up. There was "non casu" of me passing O Level. The teacher was Bert Marshall and poor chap was hopeless. As a person he was fine though, his son was Edmund Marshall later an MP for many years. The best qualified person on the staff was Ted Lawley who had two degrees but was for some reason relegated to taking the lower and younger forms. History was "Twiggy" Birch, knowledgeable chap who treated us well as did his History colleague Russell Cook who I think moved on to the Girls Grammar School.
The Deputy and Head of 6th Form when I was in it was Norman Farmer. Effectively he was running the school. I had nothing personal against Shaw but I thought he ran the place like a would-be public school which of course it almost was when he took over. You could be admitted as a fee paying pupil until the mid 50s I think.

Martin Pask is a very good friend of mine who tells some great stories about his time teaching at Clee with particular reference to the eccentricities of Colin Shaw. There is in existence a piece of paper which lists many of his accidentally humorous pronouncements to both staff and pupils which was prepared by the staff at the time.
Martin and his wife moved to York just before first lock down but am in regular touch with him.

Posted by: Hants.Mariner, March 19, 2021, 6:54pm; Reply: 31
I think Martin Pask went on to be Head of Geography at Toll Bar. I was there between 1975-82 part of the penultimate intake from Humberston before the new comprehensive opened them.
I also recall my mother telling me she babysat him in his younger days.

Whilst we were at Toll Bar one of our PE teachers was Alan Boxall who was also moonlighting as a centre back for Scunthorpe at the time.
Posted by: DB, March 19, 2021, 7:14pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Sandford1981

I wasnt aware you were not born locally DB?
Also are you saying you didn’t go to school or what? I think I may be missing something? (Happens all the time!)

I did go to school and was born and lived 7 miles from Scunny. Dad brought me up as a town fan from 4 yrs, started going to BP at 5 years. As far as I recall a poor gate was 17,000! Those were the days, if were lucky the bus might have had radio, sometimes. The bus was always parked in what is now the directors/shop car park.

Perhaps you might say my schooling was being a town fan, my mam always said if she won the pools she'd buy town a player. So you may see where my passion has come from and hence the number of posts. Bred into me from an early age.

Posted by: moosey_club, March 19, 2021, 8:53pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Sandford1981
Which school did you go to?
Who was/were your favourite teacher(s) and why?
Who was/were your least favourite teacher(s) and why?
Any amusing stories?

I went to Wintringham School. My favourite teachers were Trevor Bailey and Tim Neave.

Mr Bailey came with a fearsome reputation as some ex prison guard who was hard as nails. Funny how Chinese whispers work. Seemed to be bigger in stature than he actually was. Whether that was presence or the fact we were skinny kids I don’t really know. Being sports mad I always got on with him apart from when he stopped me playing football because I refused to do cross country for for the school. I’d only refused as it would stop me playing footy on a Saturday. Anyway I found him to be a really good teacher who made even boring lessons engaging.

Haha, had the same treatment but different school / different teacher, Mr Brown at Lindsey. Wouldnt pick me for the school team unless I represented at cross country first.  Hated the bloke, got the slipper off him at Lower Lindsey " for being inside the school building during lunch" , then the football team bribery, an all round class one cnt in my book.
So imagine my delight when a few years after leaving school he came home early to find me half naked with his daughter in his living room....I thought when she was slapping my bottom it felt vaguely familiar 🤣
Never been more pleased to miss out just seeing the look on his face.

Posted by: Sandford1981, March 19, 2021, 8:55pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from moosey_club

Haha, had the same treatment but different school / different teacher, Mr Brown at Lindsey. Wouldnt pick me for the school team unless I represented at cross country first.  Hated the bloke, got the slipper off him at Lower Lindsey " for being inside the school building during lunch" , then the football team bribery, an all round class one cnt in my book.
So imagine my delight when a few years after leaving school he came home early to find me half naked with his daughter in his living room....I thought when she was slapping my bottom it felt vaguely familiar 🤣

That’s absolutely brilliant! 😂😂😂
Just read it to my better half. Tickled me has that
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 19, 2021, 9:10pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from moosey_club

Was Brown the one who ran the rugby team?

I was good at rugby but wouldn’t go to training at dinner time. I said I’m happy to go to any training after school. Needless to say I never got picked. Part of my attitude problem was that they initially picked the football team, then also picked the same lads for the rugby team regardless of ability. I was shite at football but knew I was better at rugby than most of the footballers. Then to cap it all I was told “you should be proud to represent the school”. I didn’t even want to go to that school, let alone be proud of it, wasn’t a popular thing to say to a teacher 😆
Posted by: Sandford1981, March 19, 2021, 9:41pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from DB

I did go to school and was born and lived 7 miles from Scunny. Dad brought me up as a town fan from 4 yrs, started going to BP at 5 years. As far as I recall a poor gate was 17,000! Those were the days, if were lucky the bus might have had radio, sometimes. The bus was always parked in what is now the directors/shop car park.

Perhaps you might say my schooling was being a town fan, my mam always said if she won the pools she'd buy town a player. So you may see where my passion has come from and hence the number of posts. Bred into me from an early age.

Fair play DB. Passion is what makes us tick and I’d certainly expect it in shovels on here.

Posted by: BlackandWhiteBarmy2, March 19, 2021, 11:26pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Les Brechin

It was a lot earlier than that when I left Crosby Chris. I left there in 1976 but yes, Mr Carbutt(no wheels) did used to entertain us with his guitar.

I left in '76 too although I was a year lower than you Les. Did you live on Stainton Drive? Mr Carbutt was my class teacher in my last year. I was a little shocked when I heard about the teacher (Mr. C) and the lewd acts, I found out in my first year at Hereford when I met an ex Crosby pupil.
Posted by: ginnywings, March 20, 2021, 2:59am; Reply: 38

I was good at rugby but wouldn’t go to training at dinner time. I said I’m happy to go to any training after school. Needless to say I never got picked. Part of my attitude problem was that they initially picked the football team, then also picked the same lads for the rugby team regardless of ability. I was shite at football but knew I was better at rugby than most of the footballers. Then to cap it all I was told “you should be proud to represent the school”. I didn’t even want to go to that school, let alone be proud of it, wasn’t a popular thing to say to a teacher 😆

I think he was yes. Moosey is right, he was a coont. I was and am a stocky type and he wanted me to play Rugby and I refused because I hate the game. Of course, I was then precluded from the football team as a punishment. Got a vague memory of an accent of some sort. Was he a Geordie?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 20, 2021, 4:30am; Reply: 39
Quoted from ginnywings

I think he was yes. Moosey is right, he was a coont. I was and am a stocky type and he wanted me to play Rugby and I refused because I hate the game. Of course, I was then precluded from the football team as a punishment. Got a vague memory of an accent of some sort. Was he a Geordie?

Definitely north east. Don’t know if it was Geordie, Mackem or Smoggie.

My mate used to urine him off by saying ‘can we play League’. But then he drunk him off anyway because he was one of the kids who used to stand around the goalpost hoping the ball would come no where near 😁
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 20, 2021, 7:32am; Reply: 40

I left in '76 too although I was a year lower than you Les. Did you live on Stainton Drive? Mr Carbutt was my class teacher in my last year. I was a little shocked when I heard about the teacher (Mr. C) and the lewd acts, I found out in my first year at Hereford when I met an ex Crosby pupil.

I did then yes, number 60, we moved though in 1976 when I was 12, when my Mum remarried but you won't remember me as Les Brechin as my surname I was born with was Seaward, but I changed my surname by deed poll when my Mum remarried, to the surname of my Stepdad.
Posted by: barralad, March 20, 2021, 8:27am; Reply: 41
Quoted from Hants.Mariner
I think Martin Pask went on to be Head of Geography at Toll Bar. I was there between 1975-82 part of the penultimate intake from Humberston before the new comprehensive opened them.
I also recall my mother telling me she babysat him in his younger days.

Whilst we were at Toll Bar one of our PE teachers was Alan Boxall who was also moonlighting as a centre back for Scunthorpe at the time.

Thats correct regarding Martin.
Posted by: moosey_club, March 21, 2021, 2:08pm; Reply: 42

That's him. Was heavily involved with Cleethorpes Rugby Club outside of school as well.
My older brothers were into rugby ,more for the legalised violence side of it than sport, I just love footy.
At the first games lesson when he went through the register he just said, ahhh, that's a familiar name, you are in the rugby team.
I said I dont play rugby, dont know any rules and arent interested in it. He still put me in the team.

Posted by: Davec, July 26, 2021, 8:44pm; Reply: 43
very late tot his thread, I used to be taught at Macaulay by Jimmy Fell's wiffe, Jimmy of course used to play for Grimsby
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 27, 2021, 10:49am; Reply: 44
Quoted from Davec
very late tot his thread, I used to be taught at Macaulay by Jimmy Fell's wiffe, Jimmy of course used to play for Grimsby

That would be the first Mrs Fell. Jim’s second wife was Alberta and she was the secretary at the Education Centre on Victoria Street, now long since turned into a snooker club.

Posted by: FishOutOfWater, September 15, 2021, 1:34pm; Reply: 45
Even later to this thread but here goes...

First school was Queen Mary Avenue Infants.... loved it there and every time I go back to Town I get pangs for the old area... Sidney Park was my old favourite when I wasn't at school and used to walk back home through there often

At 7 I then went to Barcroft Street but just for two terms.... it was ideal for me as someone who's always late because all I had to do was open our front door when the bell went, cross to the other side of Lovett Street and I was in the playground  ;)

We then moved from Cleethorpes to Grimsby so for the next three and a bit years it was Yarborough Juniors - an all boys school which was disappointing after being used to mixed classes until then

Fortunately got through my 11+ and for the next seven years went to Wintringham

Looking back I didn't like my time there.... just tolerated it when I was a pupil but it was way too suffocating for me
I did ok academically I suppose but that wasn't anything to do with the teaching I'd say
I used to think I'd rather have not passed my 11+ and gone elsewhere

A couple of good teachers though... Huw George and Kev Spence in particular

Mick "Chopper" Hobden also deserves a mention for giving me some inspiration to pass Physics but sadly he couldn't get me in to the school football first X1....hardly surprising given some of the competition at the time with loads of those old Winghams going on to play for Town ( Kev Moore, Tony Ford, Paul Emson, Dave Moore etc )

They say schooldays are the best of your life but I tend to disagree except for one thing.... schoolmates that still now are good friends even if we don't maybe see each other so often, Those old shared experiences gave a lot of us some kind of unbreakable bond so something to be thankful for
Posted by: RonMariner, October 16, 2021, 10:33am; Reply: 46
Quoted from barralad

Leo Solomon is still on the go I think. He plays the piano at the Clee Grammar yearly reunion. He's in his 90s I believe.

He passed away earlier this year. He really helped me. A fine teacher.
Posted by: Maringer, October 16, 2021, 3:21pm; Reply: 47
Oh, I didn't realise he had died. A lovely chap.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 16, 2021, 6:00pm; Reply: 48
Never got on with him. Singled me out for doing what everyone else in 6th form was doing. Never respected him after that. Apply the rules equally or not at all.
Posted by: smokey111, October 28, 2021, 3:12pm; Reply: 49
Never got on with him. Singled me out for doing what everyone else in 6th form was doing. Never respected him after that. Apply the rules equally or not at all.

Worthy of Alan Partridge!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 28, 2021, 9:14pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from smokey111

Worthy of Alan Partridge!

I wouldn’t describe him that way

🖕
Posted by: lukeo, October 29, 2021, 9:02am; Reply: 51
I went to Whitgift school. 1998-2004 I think?

Hated school and only had a small friendship group for a short time.. . Infact I have no contact with anyone in my year group at school.
I The only teacher I liked was my form tutor who genuinely understood me and actually cared. Although Mr Rumsby had a good bounce on him as he walked around the corridoors..  I didn't particularly enjoy any lessons except RE. Not because I'm religious but because a lass used to often fondle with me at the back of the classroom 😂

Now, I work in a primary school in somerset and now my goal is to help children enjoy school through learning and just general banter and understanding of the world. I try to be that middle person between boring work teacher and fun playful adult as I feel I never had that through my youth and if I did I'd have done so much better.. Without going to sloppy it's a proud time for me when I get people thattleft 2,3,4 years ago and when I walk past them in a gang they go "hey look its Mr O. He was the best teacher ever"
Posted by: lukeo, October 29, 2021, 9:02am; Reply: 52
Great Coates primary as a youngster. Enjoyed it I think except for when i broke my arm..

Then I went to Whitgift school. 1998-2004 I think?

Hated school and only had a small friendship group for a short time.. . Infact I have no contact with anyone in my year group at school.
I The only teacher I liked was my form tutor who genuinely understood me and actually cared. Although Mr Rumsby had a good bounce on him as he walked around the corridoors..  I didn't particularly enjoy any lessons except RE. Not because I'm religious but because a lass used to often fondle with me at the back of the classroom 😂

Now, I work in a primary school in somerset and now my goal is to help children enjoy school through learning and just general banter and understanding of the world. I try to be that middle person between boring work teacher and fun playful adult as I feel I never had that through my youth and if I did I'd have done so much better.. Without going to sloppy it's a proud time for me when I get people thattleft 2,3,4 years ago and when I walk past them in a gang they go "hey look its Mr O. He was the best teacher ever"
Posted by: Rick12, October 29, 2021, 9:09am; Reply: 53
Quoted from lukeo
I went to Whitgift school. 1998-2004 I think?

I The only teacher I liked was my form tutor who genuinely understood me and actually cared.

Sorry to hear that my friend. School days should be some of  the best of your life. I liked mine especially primary.

Hopefully you weren't bullied or nothing of that ilk at school. Those that bully others in whatever capacity are worth excrement. Having said that I do think people can change for the better and learn from their mistakes.

Posted by: lukeo, October 29, 2021, 9:12am; Reply: 54
I wasn't bullied luckily. I had a girlfriend through most of secondary (RE didn't count 😂)
All I cared about was the bell at 3.30pm so I could go see my friends on the estate.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 30, 2021, 12:31am; Reply: 55
I was feeling sympathetic until you mentioned the girlfriend Luke. Now I’m just jealous. 😆
Posted by: aldi_01, October 30, 2021, 8:25am; Reply: 56
I enjoyed secondary school but I also think the mood of the country and what was happening at the time helped that; euro 96, town were decent, Brit pop, spice girls, new government etc…

I had a couple of inspiring teachers which led me down the path to being a teacher but to be honest, I’d walk away from the profession in a heartbeat if something tickled my fancy. Being a senior leader is a different role but my plan is and has always been the same, create a positive relational climate in which kids feel part of something, feel safe and feel cared about. Sadly, secondary schools don’t seem to offer this…not necessarily the fault of the school per se, more the system.

Must be something about RE classes and birds trying to fondle the lads…we had two lasses at our school who did it…in the same class…
Posted by: LN8Mariner, October 30, 2021, 9:28am; Reply: 57
Quoted from aldi_01
create a positive relational climate in which kids feel part of something, feel safe and feel cared about. Sadly, secondary schools don’t seem to offer this…not necessarily the fault of the school per se, more the system.

Not necessarily trying to lead the thread elsewhere but I’m interested why you think this? Are you in primary or speaking from experience of secondary? I get what you are saying but I’ve been lucky enough to work in two secondaries where I’d challenge that a little. Both successful in different ways, one local that changed the lives of many kids by making relationships not.  just with them but their families but it was set back years by a change of “leadership” at two levels that it seems to be struggling to recover from. Now working out of area and despite it being about 1900 pupils we try really hard to work on the relationships. Yes, size makes it tricky as some kids feel out of the loop and we can’t get the message to all staff all the time. Hence asking if you’re primary (edit - just read your mental health posts, alternative provision?) and how you think you can manage it but less so of secondaries?

Posted by: aldi_01, October 31, 2021, 10:18am; Reply: 58
Quoted from LN8Mariner

Not necessarily trying to lead the thread elsewhere but I’m interested why you think this? Are you in primary or speaking from experience of secondary? I get what you are saying but I’ve been lucky enough to work in two secondaries where I’d challenge that a little. Both successful in different ways, one local that changed the lives of many kids by making relationships not.  just with them but their families but it was set back years by a change of “leadership” at two levels that it seems to be struggling to recover from. Now working out of area and despite it being about 1900 pupils we try really hard to work on the relationships. Yes, size makes it tricky as some kids feel out of the loop and we can’t get the message to all staff all the time. Hence asking if you’re primary (edit - just read your mental health posts, alternative provision?) and how you think you can manage it but less so of secondaries?

Sweeping generalisation perhaps but having delivered school improvement support to both primary and secondary, it is always feels easier to enhance and embed positive relational climate in primary, usually because of the more natural nuturing feel and size.

For what it’s worth, I do know secondary schools that’s work wonders (often the less fashionable ones) but political ideology sometimes impacts the development of secondary schools. Not a criticism, they’re working within a sector that has become obsessed with data and ‘results’. It’s no different for us in special needs. Power has been given to parents/carers which I have no real issue with but sometimes it can be a hindrance. We’ve got a number of pupils that, whilst making progress in all areas are probably not in the right setting but pressure on the system, parents wanting a special school place and then lack of provision forces our hand.

NELC has challenges for reasons we all know. I think a bigger pressure, and why some schools are reluctant to alter or differ too far from the status quo is pressure. I’m a union man, always have been but their constant narrative about behaviour then conflicting themselves with saying exclusion is not appropriate just confuses everything.

Government mouth pieces like Tom Bennett inflame and conflict the approach and then the obsession with ofsted headings doesn’t help.

Personally, having worked in most of the secondary schools locally, mainly in a supportive role, the ones that aren’t ‘outstanding’ are usually the more nurturing, caring and positive places. Actually taking in to account pupil needs and so forth…

It depends on how you come at it I guess, I’ve worked in secure units and PRUs and seen the damage a restrictive mainstream system can do but equally the wife is a head and her school is very much the opposite of that.

Equally, my friend, whilst a successful head is very much on the side of behaviourism and is very much data driven…does that make him wrong? Probably not but it’s about opinions…

Professionals have those based on research and experience and sometimes it’s extremely healthy…although when doing my MA research in to juvenile sex offenders seeing two clinical psychologists going at each other over their different opinions it was a bit bonkers…
Posted by: LN8Mariner, October 31, 2021, 8:07pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from aldi_01

Sweeping generalisation perhaps but having delivered school improvement support to both primary and secondary, it is always feels easier to enhance and embed positive relational climate in primary, usually because of the more natural nuturing feel and size.

For what it’s worth, I do know secondary schools that’s work wonders (often the less fashionable ones) but political ideology sometimes impacts the development of secondary schools. Not a criticism, they’re working within a sector that has become obsessed with data and ‘results’. It’s no different for us in special needs. Power has been given to parents/carers which I have no real issue with but sometimes it can be a hindrance. We’ve got a number of pupils that, whilst making progress in all areas are probably not in the right setting but pressure on the system, parents wanting a special school place and then lack of provision forces our hand.

NELC has challenges for reasons we all know. I think a bigger pressure, and why some schools are reluctant to alter or differ too far from the status quo is pressure. I’m a union man, always have been but their constant narrative about behaviour then conflicting themselves with saying exclusion is not appropriate just confuses everything.

Government mouth pieces like Tom Bennett inflame and conflict the approach and then the obsession with ofsted headings doesn’t help.

Personally, having worked in most of the secondary schools locally, mainly in a supportive role, the ones that aren’t ‘outstanding’ are usually the more nurturing, caring and positive places. Actually taking in to account pupil needs and so forth…

It depends on how you come at it I guess, I’ve worked in secure units and PRUs and seen the damage a restrictive mainstream system can do but equally the wife is a head and her school is very much the opposite of that.

Equally, my friend, whilst a successful head is very much on the side of behaviourism and is very much data driven…does that make him wrong? Probably not but it’s about opinions…

Professionals have those based on research and experience and sometimes it’s extremely healthy…although when doing my MA research in to juvenile sex offenders seeing two clinical psychologists going at each other over their different opinions it was a bit bonkers…

Thanks for this Aldi and I am 100% with you. Having worked at the local exam factory and then at one of the eight worst schools in the country (TM  ;D) I much preferred the latter. Staff who cared and kids who gave it back in spades, probably because they did not get it at home. Yes they had their challenges but made it all the more worthwhile. Now out of NELincs I am lucky to be at a school that I think is halfway between the two, an exam factory but does it by nurturing first and foremost... still got some staff who don't get it and they do drive me crazy!

As for Bennett and Birbalsingh... cart before horse in my opinion. Too many adherents at the moment though.

I've been teaching since, 1997, you were at secondary then (perhaps?)... I could have taught you! Which school did you go to?
Posted by: Maringer, November 1, 2021, 12:21am; Reply: 60
As somebody whose wife is a secondary teacher, there is no doubt that the amount of work loaded onto the teachers has increased over the past decade. Yet, unsurprisingly, the results are little different. Notifications from on high (i.e. the academy trust bosses) decree new teaching techniques or requirements to be implemented pretty much each year. Most of which tend to add to the clerical load and don't relate to actual teaching. As a non-teacher, I have to say that many of these new initiatives sound like utter bullshit to me and I don't doubt that the head honchos at the trust who are ordering their implementation haven't done any teaching themselves for years. If you add in a new requirement for teachers which adds a couple of percent to the amount of time they need to do their prep for lessons, it might not sound too much, but when you keep adding them on most years, it doesn't take a genius to see that you're substantially increasing workloads. I don't think there are many geniuses at the trust which runs my wife's school.
Posted by: aldi_01, November 1, 2021, 9:12am; Reply: 61
It very much depends on the trust and the folk at the top.

I’ve worked for trusts where the top bods are innovative and are forward thinking, have a track record of serious school improvement and being great leaders…I currently work for a trust that isn’t necessarily like that.

Once upon a time, secondary education was much slower to develop, sticking to what they knew but that’s changed much. The wider issue is arguably teacher training and the way in to the profession, and retention. There’s no real incentive to stay in the profession, especially when you see increasing workloads.

Sadly, little will change. Many of the new initiatives are government led and based on flimsy or skewed research and evidence, promoted by the likes of Tom Bennett…whereas, plenty of research supports the positive impact and long term benefits of relational climate, restorative approaches and blended approaches to developing both SEMH and academic intelligence…this doesn’t suit the governments data obsessed, grades must be high because that’s important agenda.

It takes a brave Headteacher to take this route rather than the status quo, and sadly, for secondary schools, parents have bought in to the nonsense promoted by government too so it’s a tough choice.

Good leaders lead, good teachers teach, the two combined means effective teaching and learning and effective schools…

I’d also argue that good leaders and effective leaders stay abreast of what works and doesn’t work in classrooms…

That said, being a CEO is very different to being a Head or school based practitioner…

I know someone asked, I went to Lindsey, loved it. Had the lick and had some mega teachers who I hope have found their way in to my professional personality, naturally I had a couple of crap ones but you can’t win them all…
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 2, 2021, 11:11pm; Reply: 62
Not being involved in education (other than as a ‘consumer’ ie two kids in year 11 and one in the final year at Uni), it looks to me like education direction is decided by politicians rather than by what education professionals think is best.

Also culturally we seem to suffer from the British disease of amateurism. Ie we all think we know better than the experts, so we want to meddle. Though that is just my view as an amateur.

My kids go to an “outstanding school”. Which mostly feels like an exam factory to me. I suspect it’s ofsted rating is more to do with its results than any real added value. The best feature to my mind is that there is minimal disruption and expectations are high. Lots of petty rules though (outside coats must be dark! yet they issue comms which remind people to take care crossing roads especially in winter).
Posted by: LN8Mariner, November 3, 2021, 7:04pm; Reply: 63
Can’t disagree with you there Kingston. League tables are the worst thing to happen for schools as too many things are done to propel up the tables. I started at one exam factory in town that was just starting to game the system to get the highest grades in NELincs. It lost a lot of its soul doing that and (my memory may be hazy given it was 25-20 years ago) it stopped doing the nice things like shows, trips to broaden horizons etc. at the expense of pass at all costs. I moved to a less successful school in town and the difference was astounding, trying to do things to help encourage learning and to challenge the status quo derived from parents (and in some cases grandparents) lack of interest, or outright hatred, in education. But something happened at trust level, they got cold feet and basically reneged on the support for the project they were giving as according to the education head, “Ofsted will fail that school”. They wouldn’t, in my time there it went from 92% attendance to 96%, must have done something right surely. But ofsted still couldn’t see past results so it was Requires Improvement. I still believe that if the teachers at school 2 were parachuted into school 1 and vice versa then school 1 would improve (the Outstanding one) and school 2 wouldn’t. I’m now out of area at an outstanding school that lies somewhere in the middle, we still get some stuff wrong (in my opinion) but the pastoral side is better than school 1 and the kids appreciate that.

I’m with you on the coats, we are the same, navy or black but then tell them to be careful at night 🙄. I guess we must live in a high snow zone and don’t want them knocked down by snow ploughs!
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 4, 2021, 2:47pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from LN8Mariner
Can’t disagree with you there Kingston. League tables are the worst thing to happen for schools as too many things are done to propel up the tables. I started at one exam factory in town that was just starting to game the system to get the highest grades in NELincs. It lost a lot of its soul doing that and (my memory may be hazy given it was 25-20 years ago) it stopped doing the nice things like shows, trips to broaden horizons etc. at the expense of pass at all costs. I moved to a less successful school in town and the difference was astounding, trying to do things to help encourage learning and to challenge the status quo derived from parents (and in some cases grandparents) lack of interest, or outright hatred, in education. But something happened at trust level, they got cold feet and basically reneged on the support for the project they were giving as according to the education head, “Ofsted will fail that school”. They wouldn’t, in my time there it went from 92% attendance to 96%, must have done something right surely. But ofsted still couldn’t see past results so it was Requires Improvement. I still believe that if the teachers at school 2 were parachuted into school 1 and vice versa then school 1 would improve (the Outstanding one) and school 2 wouldn’t. I’m now out of area at an outstanding school that lies somewhere in the middle, we still get some stuff wrong (in my opinion) but the pastoral side is better than school 1 and the kids appreciate that.

I’m with you on the coats, we are the same, navy or black but then tell them to be careful at night 🙄. I guess we must live in a high snow zone and don’t want them knocked down by snow ploughs!

My basic thought on this is that children go to school to receive an education.... not just to come out with exam certificates

I added my experience of school earlier in the thread ( Wintringham Grammar ) and while I did ok in my exams, I don't think they got the best they could have done out of me and countless others

Sure academically I was given some very precise instruction but the teachers I remember best showed us us that there is more to life than just studying their subject

I do realise that exams are the proof you have a knowledge of a particular subject and it demonstrates your own level of competency against someone else but finding out about life outside of the recommended syllabus is to my mind also very important in the greater scheme of things once your school days have ended
Posted by: cmackenzie4, November 4, 2021, 7:07pm; Reply: 65
Very well said Tim 👍
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 5, 2021, 1:35pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from cmackenzie4
Very well said Tim 👍

Thanks Chris

Just my opinion but I think school should be used as opportunity to get everyone educated for life and not just used as a learning repository that churns out children with academic awards but little else

The only problem I see with it though is it's easier for the likes of OFSTED to measure and grade staff and pupils within a defined curriculum but.....when all is said and done, a happy fulfilled teacher & child relationship is priceless  :)
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 28, 2021, 6:30am; Reply: 67
Went to signhills infant/junior school and loved it until a lad moved over from H*ll and made my life really 5hit (my hatred of the Mudrats probably stemmed from this!)

Then went to Matthew humberstone and had some amazing teachers. Tom Allen was probably my biggest inspiration in life and someone I always looked up to. He helped me with my county cricket trials (probably because I was playing for his team during the summer) and was just someone that was approachable. Pete Bonner also helped me through playing sports etc. One teacher that does stick out from that time was the poisoned dwarf, mr Mann!

But at uni, I was somewhat In awe of a teacher we had (along with our whole group). It may have been the fact that he was a wales international but, Neil Jenkins certainly could hold a lecture theatre but it was also great that another international player, Rupert moon, was in the same group for many lessons.  
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 12:07pm