Our target

This thread currently has 7,432 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
BobbyCummingsTackle
February 25, 2021, 1:50pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,270
Gold Stars: 304
And by the way, if they are not already....I would be offering the players a bonus for every point we get but it's only paid after we get (say) 45 points. At 48 points your bonus goes up. At 50 points you get an extra payment.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 69
Grimal
February 25, 2021, 2:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from DB

I fully accept what you say in a  logical sense but what about Southends win over FGR. Definte lose, might scrape a draw if we're lucky win by 2 clear goals, never. Funny old game.

I streamed the FGR v Southend game last night and Southend were by far the better side and thoroughly deserved their win. If they play most of their matches like they did last night they'll soon be well out of the dogfight. FGR looked like they're the team at the bottom of the heap. If Southend can improve that much with just a couple of astute new signings surely and hopefully we can do the same with the new players we've brought in.
I've a feeling in my water we're going to have a good win at Harrogate.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 69
DB
February 25, 2021, 2:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,001
Gold Stars: 386
And by the way, if they are not already....I would be offering the players a bonus for every point we get but it's only paid after we get (say) 45 points. At 48 points your bonus goes up. At 50 points you get an extra payment.

I'm all for that ££££££££ is the best incentive

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 69
Fillipe Noche
February 25, 2021, 2:32pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
Hey you are right it is a big ask. But there’s nothing wrong in setting the bar high.

It would be interesting to know if Paul Hurst has set himself a notional target for survival, or if he just sits in the take one game at a time mode.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 69
diehardmariner
February 25, 2021, 2:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,607
Gold Stars: 538
I wonder if we're reading too much into the league table itself.  Yes of course the teams at the top are there for a  reason and have performed far better over the course of the season.  But how many teams have done like we did, gone down the cheaper route thinking that there would be no relegation and then in January bothered to invest upon the realisation that it relegation is a real prospect.   There's some really ropey form on the edge of the play-offs as well.

Other than the fact that we were awful for most games, I can't say I noticed much in the quality of sides this season at all.  Whereas in previous season there's been a marked difference between those that at the top, those in the middle and those that were quite rightly circling the proverbial plughole.  

It's a really weird season on all fronts and I genuinely think anything other than approaching each game on its own merits will just lead to needless headaches.   It's still technically in our own hands, if we win more games than Barrow and Southend until the end of the season we'll stay up.  Colchester are the obvious ones who look like they're going to get sucked in but Mansfield, after the initial bounce when Clough went in, are in pretty poor form.  Port Vale too, although I thought they looked one of the better sides I've seen, huge caveat they were against a dire Town side.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 69
BobbyCummingsTackle
February 25, 2021, 3:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Fillipe Noche
Hey you are right it is a big ask. But there’s nothing wrong in setting the bar high.

It would be interesting to know if Paul Hurst has set himself a notional target for survival, or if he just sits in the take one game at a time mode.

I think he's too thoughtful not to do that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 69
lew chaterleys lover
February 25, 2021, 3:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
I admire the indefatigable optimism of fellow posters, but I just cannot see it myself.

We were lucky the other night; we have a defence that is at sixes and sevens, a midfield that doesn't seem to protect the back 4 nor provides enough chances and a really non-existent strike force.

I don't think personally the division is as bad as some are saying, and most other teams will have strengthened so to get the wins we need is a very tall order.

I hope to God I am wrong, and that win the other night spurs us into life, but I have to say it has been very disappointing under Hurst so far.

If I have to eat humble pie so be it but that is how I see it.

Luckily it is not my job to rally the troops or we would be down already but as is always the case I think the result the other night has glossed over all our glaring shortcomings.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 69
BobbyCummingsTackle
February 25, 2021, 3:33pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner
I wonder if we're reading too much into the league table itself.  Yes of course the teams at the top are there for a  reason and have performed far better over the course of the season.  But how many teams have done like we did, gone down the cheaper route thinking that there would be no relegation and then in January bothered to invest upon the realisation that it relegation is a real prospect.   There's some really ropey form on the edge of the play-offs as well.

Other than the fact that we were awful for most games, I can't say I noticed much in the quality of sides this season at all.  Whereas in previous season there's been a marked difference between those that at the top, those in the middle and those that were quite rightly circling the proverbial plughole.  

It's a really weird season on all fronts and I genuinely think anything other than approaching each game on its own merits will just lead to needless headaches.   It's still technically in our own hands, if we win more games than Barrow and Southend until the end of the season we'll stay up.  Colchester are the obvious ones who look like they're going to get sucked in but Mansfield, after the initial bounce when Clough went in, are in pretty poor form.  Port Vale too, although I thought they looked one of the better sides I've seen, huge caveat they were against a dire Town side.

Last 5 league games:

Mansfield DDLLL - 2 points
Port Vale LWLDD - 5 points
Colchester LDDLL - 2 points

Town DLLLW - 4 points

My personal view is that we need about 45 points to stay up and that's just over a point per game. We have got 4 from 5 games. We are not far away from where we need to be.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 69
DB
February 25, 2021, 3:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,001
Gold Stars: 386
I admire the indefatigable optimism of fellow posters, but I just cannot see it myself.

We were lucky the other night; we have a defence that is at sixes and sevens, a midfield that doesn't seem to protect the back 4 nor provides enough chances and a really non-existent strike force.

I don't think personally the division is as bad as some are saying, and most other teams will have strengthened so to get the wins we need is a very tall order.

I hope to God I am wrong, and that win the other night spurs us into life, but I have to say it has been very disappointing under Hurst so far.

If I have to eat humble pie so be it but that is how I see it.

Luckily it is not my job to rally the troops or we would be down already but as is always the case I think the result the other night has glossed over all our glaring shortcomings.

Would you like it with cream and sugar

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 69
GrimRob
February 25, 2021, 4:15pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
I ran the calculator and got 46 points as the safety margin

https://thefishy.co.uk/calculator0.php?Competition=4

And then ran it to see what happened if we won every game and we were level on points for the final play off place!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 39 - 69
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Our target

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.