Reply: 20 - 69
aldi_01
February 25, 2021, 6:27am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I’d imagine the target is simply to win our games, try and win and battle for the win. That’s hot to be a simpler mentality that setting points targets and the like...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 69
RonMariner
February 25, 2021, 11:22am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,008
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from aldi_01
I’d imagine the target is simply to win our games, try and win and battle for the win. That’s hot to be a simpler mentality that setting points targets and the like...

I agree.

Take each game as it comes, and see where that leads.

I do think though that we should approach each game to win. No trying to play for a draw, very few teams have the skill and discipline to pull that off. You end up playing the entire game in your own half.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 69
DB
February 25, 2021, 11:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.55
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,880
Gold Stars: 383
Quoted from RonMariner

I agree.

Take each game as it comes, and see where that leads.

I do think though that we should approach each game to win. No trying to play for a draw, very few teams have the skill and discipline to pull that off. You end up playing the entire game in your own half.

Absolutely agree Ron. Ask me before the match, I'll say it's a win every time. For me positive optimism every time. After all who'd have thought Southend would beat FGR.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 69
BobbyCummingsTackle
February 25, 2021, 11:56am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +6,987
Gold Stars: 283
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Target is always win next game
Simples!

Hmmm...actually it's often not. A lot of very successful managers will tell you that they target games and accept that some games they can win, some they can draw and some they'll lose. They look at a points total for the season and the points they can gain from the next 3,5 or 10 games and that gives them an idea of whether they're on track for the points total at the end of the season. It's sensible, it's realistic and it doesn't build expectations that can't be realised.

I'd be surprised if Hurst hasn't done this and has a clear view of how many points we need, how many we can get and where he thinks they're coming from. Any wins against teams who he thinks should beat us are a bonus. A loss when we should have got 3 points is a small disaster.

'Take each game as it comes' and 'win every game' are great for the fans and the media but only Pep Guardiola actually has that luxury.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 69
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 25, 2021, 12:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,502
Gold Stars: 64
As others have said the good thing this season is that there are no real outstanding teams in the league and basically you have a chance of winning every fixture, however, this applies to all teams as Southend clearly demonstrated the other night.

Thus I am expecting a number of teams to have 40 to 50 points and the real drawback is our very poor goal difference. Having completed the prediction league I have us getting to 51 points so no need for anybody to worry!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 69
BobbyCummingsTackle
February 25, 2021, 12:48pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
As others have said the good thing this season is that there are no real outstanding teams in the league and basically you have a chance of winning every fixture, however, this applies to all teams as Southend clearly demonstrated the other night.

Thus I am expecting a number of teams to have 40 to 50 points and the real drawback is our very poor goal difference. Having completed the prediction league I have us getting to 51 points so no need for anybody to worry!!

Completely agree with you, outside of the top 4 or 5 this league is sh*t and any team can beat any other.

I don't think goal difference will be a factor. I don't recall a team being relegated out of this division on goal difference for a long time. Usually the relegated teams have a clear gap in terms of points. Teams have survived recently with about 42 points but that might be a bit low this year as it's now nip and tuck at the bottom and could get closer if Colchester continue to slip. I think 45 will do it but 50 would guarantee survival.

20 points from 18 games will probably be enough for us. Scunthorpe got 12 in 4 games!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 69
Stew0_0
February 25, 2021, 12:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,199
Gold Stars: 35
Think those quoting a 3 horse race should look at the table again after last night. The bottom 2 have games in hand on all above them, Colchester falling like a stone, Stevenage have played more than anyone with the exception of top placed Cambridge and port vale and mansfields form has been indifferent.
Theres gonna be a twist in this yet and like said already if we concentrate on ourselves then we will be ok
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 69
DB
February 25, 2021, 1:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.55
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,880
Gold Stars: 383

Hmmm...actually it's often not. A lot of very successful managers will tell you that they target games and accept that some games they can win, some they can draw and some they'll lose. They look at a points total for the season and the points they can gain from the next 3,5 or 10 games and that gives them an idea of whether they're on track for the points total at the end of the season. It's sensible, it's realistic and it doesn't build expectations that can't be realised.

I'd be surprised if Hurst hasn't done this and has a clear view of how many points we need, how many we can get and where he thinks they're coming from. Any wins against teams who he thinks should beat us are a bonus. A loss when we should have got 3 points is a small disaster.

'Take each game as it comes' and 'win every game' are great for the fans and the media but only Pep Guardiola actually has that luxury.

I fully accept what you say in a  logical sense but what about Southends win over FGR. Definte lose, might scrape a draw if we're lucky win by 2 clear goals, never. Funny old game.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 69
BobbyCummingsTackle
February 25, 2021, 1:46pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from DB

I fully accept what you say in a  logical sense but what about Southends win over FGR. Definte lose, might scrape a draw if we're lucky win by 2 clear goals, never. Funny old game.

Yep, but I do say that a win against a team you expect to lose to is a bonus. There are massive numbers of variables (form, injuries, state of the pitch, weather!) but it's about the big picture - how many points do we need, where we can realistically get them from and what we have to do to get them.

If I was Hurst my message to the team would be that we need 20 points from 18 games. Just a bit more than a point a game - really doable. Beat Barrow and Colchester we only need 14 etc etc

Eat the elephant in bite sized chunks.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 69
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Our target

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.