Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: smokey111, February 24, 2021, 8:04pm
Personally, I feel our target should be to hit 50 points. If we do so, then history shows we wouldn't go down. There are only so many points to play for. If the three of us somehow managed to hit that target  (highly unlikely) then a couple of teams will have fallen into the trap. There are a bunch of teams that are clustered above us and a mini run of form would soon see a couple roped in.

Back to the target. 26 points from 18 games. 7/8 wins plus 3/4 draws and 6/7 defeats. A big ask but achievable given the propensity of strange results and stretched squads across the division.

UTM
Posted by: Hagrid, February 24, 2021, 8:09pm; Reply: 1
I think our best bet is to play each game as it comes. Dont set targets. If we’re working on a target basis then number 1 has to be get out the bottom 2 and go from there.
Posted by: smokey111, February 24, 2021, 8:14pm; Reply: 2
I am working on the old adage about controlling the controllable. If we focus on the uncontrollable, Southend's and Barrow's results it will just create anxiety. We can only control our own form and if we even hit 48 points I highly doubt we would go down. I am sure some statto can back me up????
Posted by: DB, February 24, 2021, 8:16pm; Reply: 3
I think the Barrow game s a must win and the other game in hand, Tranmere I believe.. 8 games in March so we have to at least 6 (Tranmere & Barrow being 2 of them). Very tall order but it's doable.
Posted by: pizzzza, February 24, 2021, 8:16pm; Reply: 4
It's doable, Morecambe finished 22nd with only 32 pts last season.
Posted by: Hagrid, February 24, 2021, 8:18pm; Reply: 5
Yeah the season finished in March last year mate
Posted by: DB, February 24, 2021, 8:20pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from smokey111
I am working on the old adage about controlling the controllable. If we focus on the uncontrollable, Southend's and Barrow's results it will just create anxiety. We can only control our own form and if we even hit 48 points I highly doubt we would go down. I am sure some statto can back me up????

Our destiny in staying up is entirely in our hands, which is better than wanting help from other results.
Posted by: pizzzza, February 24, 2021, 8:20pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Hagrid
Yeah the season finished in March last year mate

Fastest bite ever
Posted by: Hagrid, February 24, 2021, 8:25pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from pizzzza

Fastest bite ever

How😅
You posted something i knew was incorrect so corrected you. That isnt biting.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, February 24, 2021, 8:28pm; Reply: 9
Can we achieve mid table form I think we can , perhaps the three horse race will become a bigger field
Posted by: pizzzza, February 24, 2021, 8:53pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Hagrid

How😅
You posted something i knew was incorrect so corrected you. That isnt biting.

I laid a trap (in making an obviously contentious statement) and you engaged (unironically). That's a bite.

And anyway, which part of me saying that last season Morecambe finished 22nd with 32 pts was "incorrect" as you put it?
Posted by: GYinScuntland, February 24, 2021, 9:21pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from DB

Our destiny in staying up is entirely in our hands, which is better than wanting help from other results.

Well it isn't really is it?
We're bottom and points adrift.
Posted by: Bigdog, February 24, 2021, 9:35pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from GYinScuntland

Beat Barrow we go above them. Two games in hand of Southend and only three points behind. Destiny is definitely in our own hands..
Posted by: smokey111, February 24, 2021, 9:37pm; Reply: 13

Quite clearly is....win all our games and we stay up!👍
Posted by: DB, February 24, 2021, 9:39pm; Reply: 14

Bigdog answered it for you. Come on be positive a win on Saturday Barrow and Southend lose and we move up
Posted by: Abdul19, February 24, 2021, 9:44pm; Reply: 15
We can still get to 78 points!
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 24, 2021, 9:46pm; Reply: 16

For all of us at the bottom it could come down to key players getting injured, suspensions and even fixture pile ups for some.

Then there's teams resting players for the play-offs at the business end as well.

Lots of twists and turns yet to come, hope it goes our way.

Posted by: GYinScuntland, February 24, 2021, 10:54pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from DB

Bigdog answered it for you. Come on be positive a win on Saturday Barrow and Southend lose and we move up

The thing is you said "Our destiny in staying up is entirely in our hands, which is better than wanting help from other results." but then go on about Barrow and Southend's results.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 24, 2021, 11:28pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Abdul19
We can still get to 78 points!

Playoffs still possible in late February!
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, February 25, 2021, 12:03am; Reply: 19
What will really turn things around is winning a couple of games against teams near the top at home and picking a couple of draws away against them that almost become double the value . Tall order but not impossible
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, February 25, 2021, 3:47am; Reply: 20
Target is always win next game
Simples!
Posted by: aldi_01, February 25, 2021, 6:27am; Reply: 21
I’d imagine the target is simply to win our games, try and win and battle for the win. That’s hot to be a simpler mentality that setting points targets and the like...
Posted by: RonMariner, February 25, 2021, 11:22am; Reply: 22
Quoted from aldi_01
I’d imagine the target is simply to win our games, try and win and battle for the win. That’s hot to be a simpler mentality that setting points targets and the like...

I agree.

Take each game as it comes, and see where that leads.

I do think though that we should approach each game to win. No trying to play for a draw, very few teams have the skill and discipline to pull that off. You end up playing the entire game in your own half.
Posted by: DB, February 25, 2021, 11:48am; Reply: 23
Quoted from RonMariner

I agree.

Take each game as it comes, and see where that leads.

I do think though that we should approach each game to win. No trying to play for a draw, very few teams have the skill and discipline to pull that off. You end up playing the entire game in your own half.

Absolutely agree Ron. Ask me before the match, I'll say it's a win every time. For me positive optimism every time. After all who'd have thought Southend would beat FGR.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, February 25, 2021, 11:56am; Reply: 24
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Target is always win next game
Simples!

Hmmm...actually it's often not. A lot of very successful managers will tell you that they target games and accept that some games they can win, some they can draw and some they'll lose. They look at a points total for the season and the points they can gain from the next 3,5 or 10 games and that gives them an idea of whether they're on track for the points total at the end of the season. It's sensible, it's realistic and it doesn't build expectations that can't be realised.

I'd be surprised if Hurst hasn't done this and has a clear view of how many points we need, how many we can get and where he thinks they're coming from. Any wins against teams who he thinks should beat us are a bonus. A loss when we should have got 3 points is a small disaster.

'Take each game as it comes' and 'win every game' are great for the fans and the media but only Pep Guardiola actually has that luxury.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, February 25, 2021, 12:23pm; Reply: 25
As others have said the good thing this season is that there are no real outstanding teams in the league and basically you have a chance of winning every fixture, however, this applies to all teams as Southend clearly demonstrated the other night.

Thus I am expecting a number of teams to have 40 to 50 points and the real drawback is our very poor goal difference. Having completed the prediction league I have us getting to 51 points so no need for anybody to worry!!
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, February 25, 2021, 12:48pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
As others have said the good thing this season is that there are no real outstanding teams in the league and basically you have a chance of winning every fixture, however, this applies to all teams as Southend clearly demonstrated the other night.

Thus I am expecting a number of teams to have 40 to 50 points and the real drawback is our very poor goal difference. Having completed the prediction league I have us getting to 51 points so no need for anybody to worry!!

Completely agree with you, outside of the top 4 or 5 this league is sh*t and any team can beat any other.

I don't think goal difference will be a factor. I don't recall a team being relegated out of this division on goal difference for a long time. Usually the relegated teams have a clear gap in terms of points. Teams have survived recently with about 42 points but that might be a bit low this year as it's now nip and tuck at the bottom and could get closer if Colchester continue to slip. I think 45 will do it but 50 would guarantee survival.

20 points from 18 games will probably be enough for us. Scunthorpe got 12 in 4 games!
Posted by: Stew0_0, February 25, 2021, 12:56pm; Reply: 27
Think those quoting a 3 horse race should look at the table again after last night. The bottom 2 have games in hand on all above them, Colchester falling like a stone, Stevenage have played more than anyone with the exception of top placed Cambridge and port vale and mansfields form has been indifferent.
Theres gonna be a twist in this yet and like said already if we concentrate on ourselves then we will be ok
Posted by: DB, February 25, 2021, 1:01pm; Reply: 28

Hmmm...actually it's often not. A lot of very successful managers will tell you that they target games and accept that some games they can win, some they can draw and some they'll lose. They look at a points total for the season and the points they can gain from the next 3,5 or 10 games and that gives them an idea of whether they're on track for the points total at the end of the season. It's sensible, it's realistic and it doesn't build expectations that can't be realised.

I'd be surprised if Hurst hasn't done this and has a clear view of how many points we need, how many we can get and where he thinks they're coming from. Any wins against teams who he thinks should beat us are a bonus. A loss when we should have got 3 points is a small disaster.

'Take each game as it comes' and 'win every game' are great for the fans and the media but only Pep Guardiola actually has that luxury.

I fully accept what you say in a  logical sense but what about Southends win over FGR. Definte lose, might scrape a draw if we're lucky win by 2 clear goals, never. Funny old game.

Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, February 25, 2021, 1:46pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from DB

I fully accept what you say in a  logical sense but what about Southends win over FGR. Definte lose, might scrape a draw if we're lucky win by 2 clear goals, never. Funny old game.

Yep, but I do say that a win against a team you expect to lose to is a bonus. There are massive numbers of variables (form, injuries, state of the pitch, weather!) but it's about the big picture - how many points do we need, where we can realistically get them from and what we have to do to get them.

If I was Hurst my message to the team would be that we need 20 points from 18 games. Just a bit more than a point a game - really doable. Beat Barrow and Colchester we only need 14 etc etc

Eat the elephant in bite sized chunks.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, February 25, 2021, 1:50pm; Reply: 30
And by the way, if they are not already....I would be offering the players a bonus for every point we get but it's only paid after we get (say) 45 points. At 48 points your bonus goes up. At 50 points you get an extra payment.
Posted by: Grimal, February 25, 2021, 2:16pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from DB

I streamed the FGR v Southend game last night and Southend were by far the better side and thoroughly deserved their win. If they play most of their matches like they did last night they'll soon be well out of the dogfight. FGR looked like they're the team at the bottom of the heap. If Southend can improve that much with just a couple of astute new signings surely and hopefully we can do the same with the new players we've brought in.
I've a feeling in my water we're going to have a good win at Harrogate.

Posted by: DB, February 25, 2021, 2:24pm; Reply: 32
And by the way, if they are not already....I would be offering the players a bonus for every point we get but it's only paid after we get (say) 45 points. At 48 points your bonus goes up. At 50 points you get an extra payment.

I'm all for that ££££££££ is the best incentive
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, February 25, 2021, 2:32pm; Reply: 33
Hey you are right it is a big ask. But there’s nothing wrong in setting the bar high.

It would be interesting to know if Paul Hurst has set himself a notional target for survival, or if he just sits in the take one game at a time mode.
Posted by: diehardmariner, February 25, 2021, 2:36pm; Reply: 34
I wonder if we're reading too much into the league table itself.  Yes of course the teams at the top are there for a  reason and have performed far better over the course of the season.  But how many teams have done like we did, gone down the cheaper route thinking that there would be no relegation and then in January bothered to invest upon the realisation that it relegation is a real prospect.   There's some really ropey form on the edge of the play-offs as well.

Other than the fact that we were awful for most games, I can't say I noticed much in the quality of sides this season at all.  Whereas in previous season there's been a marked difference between those that at the top, those in the middle and those that were quite rightly circling the proverbial plughole.  

It's a really weird season on all fronts and I genuinely think anything other than approaching each game on its own merits will just lead to needless headaches.   It's still technically in our own hands, if we win more games than Barrow and Southend until the end of the season we'll stay up.  Colchester are the obvious ones who look like they're going to get sucked in but Mansfield, after the initial bounce when Clough went in, are in pretty poor form.  Port Vale too, although I thought they looked one of the better sides I've seen, huge caveat they were against a dire Town side.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, February 25, 2021, 3:19pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Fillipe Noche
Hey you are right it is a big ask. But there’s nothing wrong in setting the bar high.

It would be interesting to know if Paul Hurst has set himself a notional target for survival, or if he just sits in the take one game at a time mode.

I think he's too thoughtful not to do that.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, February 25, 2021, 3:27pm; Reply: 36
I admire the indefatigable optimism of fellow posters, but I just cannot see it myself.

We were lucky the other night; we have a defence that is at sixes and sevens, a midfield that doesn't seem to protect the back 4 nor provides enough chances and a really non-existent strike force.

I don't think personally the division is as bad as some are saying, and most other teams will have strengthened so to get the wins we need is a very tall order.

I hope to God I am wrong, and that win the other night spurs us into life, but I have to say it has been very disappointing under Hurst so far.

If I have to eat humble pie so be it but that is how I see it.

Luckily it is not my job to rally the troops or we would be down already but as is always the case I think the result the other night has glossed over all our glaring shortcomings.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, February 25, 2021, 3:33pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from diehardmariner
I wonder if we're reading too much into the league table itself.  Yes of course the teams at the top are there for a  reason and have performed far better over the course of the season.  But how many teams have done like we did, gone down the cheaper route thinking that there would be no relegation and then in January bothered to invest upon the realisation that it relegation is a real prospect.   There's some really ropey form on the edge of the play-offs as well.

Other than the fact that we were awful for most games, I can't say I noticed much in the quality of sides this season at all.  Whereas in previous season there's been a marked difference between those that at the top, those in the middle and those that were quite rightly circling the proverbial plughole.  

It's a really weird season on all fronts and I genuinely think anything other than approaching each game on its own merits will just lead to needless headaches.   It's still technically in our own hands, if we win more games than Barrow and Southend until the end of the season we'll stay up.  Colchester are the obvious ones who look like they're going to get sucked in but Mansfield, after the initial bounce when Clough went in, are in pretty poor form.  Port Vale too, although I thought they looked one of the better sides I've seen, huge caveat they were against a dire Town side.

Last 5 league games:

Mansfield DDLLL - 2 points
Port Vale LWLDD - 5 points
Colchester LDDLL - 2 points

Town DLLLW - 4 points

My personal view is that we need about 45 points to stay up and that's just over a point per game. We have got 4 from 5 games. We are not far away from where we need to be.
Posted by: DB, February 25, 2021, 3:52pm; Reply: 38
I admire the indefatigable optimism of fellow posters, but I just cannot see it myself.

We were lucky the other night; we have a defence that is at sixes and sevens, a midfield that doesn't seem to protect the back 4 nor provides enough chances and a really non-existent strike force.

I don't think personally the division is as bad as some are saying, and most other teams will have strengthened so to get the wins we need is a very tall order.

I hope to God I am wrong, and that win the other night spurs us into life, but I have to say it has been very disappointing under Hurst so far.

If I have to eat humble pie so be it but that is how I see it.

Luckily it is not my job to rally the troops or we would be down already but as is always the case I think the result the other night has glossed over all our glaring shortcomings.

Would you like it with cream and sugar
Posted by: GrimRob, February 25, 2021, 4:15pm; Reply: 39
I ran the calculator and got 46 points as the safety margin

https://thefishy.co.uk/calculator0.php?Competition=4

And then ran it to see what happened if we won every game and we were level on points for the final play off place!
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, February 25, 2021, 4:16pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from DB

I'm all for that ££££££££ is the best incentive

Ha! Actually it's not....

Most corporate surveys (usually by HR teams) come back with money being about the 4th most important motivator for people. Things like fulfilling roles, personal development and being supported by your manager score higher.

Money becomes a key motivator when you are low paid or paid below the average for your role or industry.

But, for some individuals it is more important than other factors. You may be one of those individuals.
Posted by: DB, February 25, 2021, 4:46pm; Reply: 41

Most corporate surveys (usually by HR teams) come back with money being about the 4th most important motivator for people. Things like fulfilling roles, personal development and being supported by your manager score higher.

Money becomes a key motivator when you are low paid or paid below the average for your role or industry.

But, for some individuals it is more important than other factors. You may be one of those individuals.

So were in 23rd place and your motivation speech to the players is 'I want you to support me and I will help you to fulfil your role for the team and personal development'

My motivation speech would be ' £1,000 each for every game you win paid after were safe from relegation. Relegated nothing'

Now the players are probably paid the average but an extra 18 games , £18,000, to me is a very good incentive.

Which do you think sounds the best if you were a player

For me personally their were and are many factors that motivate me including money which pays the bills and puts food on the table. Belief in Jesus Christ is also a good motivator.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, February 25, 2021, 5:00pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from DB

So were in 23rd place and your motivation speech to the players is 'I want you to support me and I will help you to fulfil your role for the team and personal development'

My motivation speech would be ' £1,000 each for every game you win paid after were safe from relegation. Relegated nothing'

Now the players are probably paid the average but an extra 18 games , £18,000, to me is a very good incentive.

Which do you think sounds the best if you were a player

For me personally their were and are many factors that motivate me including money which pays the bills and puts food on the table. Belief in Jesus Christ is also a good motivator.

I could have sworn that this was in response to my post about offering the players a bonus for every point they got.

Belief in Jesus Christ will not get us a single point and won't make any of our players play better.
Posted by: RonMariner, February 25, 2021, 6:03pm; Reply: 43

Belief in Jesus Christ will not get us a single point and won't make any of our players play better.

Indeed, because Jesus saves and Payne knocks in the rebound.
Posted by: DB, February 25, 2021, 6:12pm; Reply: 44

I could have sworn that this was in response to my post about offering the players a bonus for every point they got.

Amazing how many players look up to the sky and make the sign of the cross when they go onto the pitch.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, February 25, 2021, 6:16pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from DB

Amazing how many players look up to the sky and make the sign of the cross when they go onto the pitch.

Undeniable proof of Jesus' intervention in the outcome of Grimsby games.
Posted by: DB, February 25, 2021, 6:38pm; Reply: 46

Undeniable proof of Jesus' intervention in the outcome of Grimsby games.

I'm pleased you think so
Posted by: pen penfras, February 25, 2021, 7:15pm; Reply: 47

That  survey is about job satisfaction, not motivation. It's satisfying being told you've done a good job, but the motivation is not the same thing.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, February 25, 2021, 8:25pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from pen penfras

That  survey is about job satisfaction, not motivation. It's satisfying being told you've done a good job, but the motivation is not the same thing.

I'm referring to several surveys and they were about motivation. Although motivation and job satisfaction have a close link. People who have job satisfaction tend to be more motivated and demonstrate greater discretionary effort than other colleagues.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, February 25, 2021, 8:26pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from DB

I'm pleased you think so

I don't. If there was a God I would hope that he or she might have some more important things to do than worry about the result at Blundell Park.
Posted by: Abdul19, February 25, 2021, 8:33pm; Reply: 50
Disagree. If there was a god the result at BP would be exactly the sort of thing he or she would be worrying about. And we wouldn't be shit.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 26, 2021, 12:32am; Reply: 51
Quoted from DB

Would you like it with cream and sugar

Probably neither because it’s a savoury dish

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humble_pie

Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 26, 2021, 12:43am; Reply: 52
Quoted from pen penfras

Getting moaned at for the bad stuff without praise for the good stuff is demotivating (and can wear down your confidence). If my boss is good with me I’ll walk through walls. If my boss is an areshole I’ll not give that extra effort and I’ll go where I’m appreciated (if the money is alright).

Giving me praise will more likely make me want to do better, and take on board the constructive criticism, and therefore get better. A genuine pat* on the back (not gratuitous praise) is motivating.

* an image of Padraig Amond clinging on to Omar’s back at Wembley has just popped up in my head 🙂
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 26, 2021, 1:39am; Reply: 53
Quoted from Bigdog

Beat Barrow we go above them. Two games in hand of Southend and only three points behind. Destiny is definitely in our own hands..

If only football was this simple.

I really don't go in for this "it's in our own hands" nonsense unless there were two or three games to go.

By the time we play Barrow we could be well adrift of them.
Posted by: Nutsy, February 26, 2021, 8:16am; Reply: 54
I have said for ages now that, although having a poor squad pre-January, the biggest issue was we had no 'luck' i.e. Saturday where we were 2nd best and came away with all 3 points.

Every team we have faced so far has had a some luck, we have seemingly had none in my pinion.

Here's hoping we have clicked in for a lucky run
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, February 26, 2021, 9:36am; Reply: 55
Quoted from Nutsy
I have said for ages now that, although having a poor squad pre-January, the biggest issue was we had no 'luck' i.e. Saturday where we were 2nd best and came away with all 3 points.

Every team we have faced so far has had a some luck, we have seemingly had none in my pinion.

Here's hoping we have clicked in for a lucky run

I wonder if there's any research on how big a factor luck is in football. We've all watched hundreds of games were a deflection dropped to a striker who scored and where the same kind of deflection pings off a defender for a throw in. Town always seem to get the latter (or is that just me?).
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, February 26, 2021, 9:43am; Reply: 56
Quoted from arryarryarry

If only football was this simple.

I really don't go in for this "it's in our own hands" nonsense unless there were two or three games to go.

By the time we play Barrow we could be well adrift of them.

For fear of opening up a can of worms that may have closed......the 'in our own hands thing' is about motivation. Humans want to feel like they are in control and have a direct impact on events. Saying to the players '18 games to go, 54 points available, we need about 20 of those 54' is a motivator - you can control this, you 'own' it, you can influence the outcome. Psychologically it's much more compelling than 'there's nothing we can do, let's hope it goes our way'.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, February 26, 2021, 10:28am; Reply: 57
In the long-term luck will broadly be equal.  Similar to the number of heads or tails.

To some extent you make the opportunities to benefit from good luck.

On the positive side, they brought in the golden goal in extra time - and we benefitted at Wembley.  Cue glorious scenes by Town fans.

Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, February 26, 2021, 10:43am; Reply: 58
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
In the long-term luck will broadly be equal.  Similar to the number of heads or tails.

To some extent you make the opportunities to benefit from good luck.

On the positive side, they brought in the golden goal in extra time - and we benefitted at Wembley.  Cue glorious scenes by Town fans.

Yes....but I also wonder if greater skill brings greater luck (Tony Jacklin's 'the more I practice the luckier I get') because you are more skillful in how you deal with the deflection or whatever. Man City don't seem to have the same bad luck that Grimsby get.
Posted by: smokey111, February 26, 2021, 12:39pm; Reply: 59

For fear of opening up a can of worms that may have closed......the 'in our own hands thing' is about motivation. Humans want to feel like they are in control and have a direct impact on events. Saying to the players '18 games to go, 54 points available, we need about 20 of those 54' is a motivator - you can control this, you 'own' it, you can influence the outcome. Psychologically it's much more compelling than 'there's nothing we can do, let's hope it goes our way'.

As I said previously, lack of control provokes fear and anxiety. Control the controllables should be the message.
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 26, 2021, 2:00pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from smokey111

As I said previously, lack of control provokes fear and anxiety. Control the controllables should be the message.

I really don't have a clue what you are talking about.

You cannot control what the opposition do, you cannot control players making individual mistakes that cost goals, you cannot stop players making rash challenges in the penalty area (Rose), you cannot control officials making wrong decisions whether that is disallowing a goal or allowing one that shouldn't have been.

All a manager can control is how to play a game but once the players have crossed that white line a fair bit of that control is lost.

Posted by: arryarryarry, February 26, 2021, 2:04pm; Reply: 61

How come we are still bottom of the League then?
Posted by: Zmariner, February 26, 2021, 2:13pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from arryarryarry

Half a season managed by an idiot.
A disastrous recruitment policy with no friendlies to start the season.
A complete team rebuild halfway through the season.
Approach, as Hurst says, only one game at a time. Which seems very sensible to me as the performance against Crawley in my humble opinion was pretty rubbish but the result was fantastic
UTM
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 26, 2021, 2:45pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from Zmariner

Half a season managed by an idiot.
A disastrous recruitment policy with no friendlies to start the season.
A complete team rebuild halfway through the season.
Approach, as Hurst says, only one game at a time. Which seems very sensible to me as the performance against Crawley in my humble opinion was pretty rubbish but the result was fantastic
UTM

I would say he was more of a clown, but to add to that we weren't bottom of the League when he left.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, February 26, 2021, 2:47pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from arryarryarry

Please see Zmariner's comment.

I was talking about the psychology of it. If your team is not technically as good as all other teams you're still more likely to lose. I can put a toddler with ADHD in the right mindset to perform neurosurgery but it doesn't mean they are qualified or capable of doing it.
Posted by: RonMariner, February 26, 2021, 3:17pm; Reply: 65
We should have only one target at this point.

Win the next game.
Posted by: DB, February 26, 2021, 3:22pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from arryarryarry

I would say he was more of a clown, but to add to that we weren't bottom of the League when he left.

He jumped ship before it hit the rocks.

Posted by: arryarryarry, February 26, 2021, 4:19pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from DB

He jumped ship before it hit the rocks.

I think he "jumped ship" because of his involvement with JF and that criminal.
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 26, 2021, 4:34pm; Reply: 68

Please see Zmariner's comment.

I was talking about the psychology of it. If your team is not technically as good as all other teams you're still more likely to lose. I can put a toddler with ADHD in the right mindset to perform neurosurgery but it doesn't mean they are qualified or capable of doing it.

I'm sorry but I don't have a clue what the frig you are on about.

Posted by: smokey111, February 26, 2021, 6:18pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from arryarryarry

I really don't have a clue what you are talking about.

You cannot control what the opposition do, you cannot control players making individual mistakes that cost goals, you cannot stop players making rash challenges in the penalty area (Rose), you cannot control officials making wrong decisions whether that is disallowing a goal or allowing one that shouldn't have been.

All a manager can control is how to play a game but once the players have crossed that white line a fair bit of that control is lost.

Ok. Firstly, breathe and take your time. Don't worry if you have to read it once or twice, nobody will know, so we can't judge you. What is controllable? Our own results. IF, still a big IF, we can perform well enough, we will win enough games and stay up. The players have control over this outcome. Therefore, it is controllable. It is worth investing time, energy and perhaps a little worry over this.

Now, have a little rest. Let it sink in. Go back over it if you need to. Go make yourself a cuppa.

What is not controllable and is not worth worrying about?

The results of Barrow, Southend, Stevenage, Colchester etc. Unless we are playing them*

* Skip that last little bit about when we play them. Your head might hurt. It might be considered a grey area and it may have created a little confusion.

Therefore we control the controllable. It IS in our own hands.

Stop looking back, being so negative and look forward to tomorrow's game. Players are regaining fitness, the squad has more depth and quality. We didn't play particularly well the other night and we won.

Before you state the obvious, I know we are still bottom but we have an unbeaten streak of one, if we make it three or four we will be creating some real momentum.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 6:24pm