diehardmariner
February 24, 2021, 12:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,687
Gold Stars: 540
Quoted from Bigdog

So you'd only play three out of Adams, Morais, Coke, El Mizouni, Matete and Rose then? And the only width coming from full backs pushed forward unless you want to expose three centre halves more than a back four? No Morais crosses or Adams carrying the ball? At least five out of six of those players have to play every game imho, maybe until the last half hour when game situations may dictate throwing on ageing forwards to nick a goal or help to hold the ball up better. I'm quite happy with a midfield five starting for now with Payne up top on his own..

I think the midfield five only works if they support Payne (or whoever plays up top on their own).  Largely this didn't happen last night.  

Private Message
Reply: 90 - 98
pen penfras
February 24, 2021, 12:29pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -133
Gold Stars: 71
I don't understand why Rose gets so much grief. His reading of the game has been fantastic all season and the amount of interceptions are incredible. He's given away some daft penalties, usually when we were already losing, but I feel he's more a victim of expectation than actually playing badly. For me he's been our best player this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 98
diehardmariner
February 24, 2021, 2:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,687
Gold Stars: 540
The question for me regards Rose is what else does he offer and how does it fit into the team?  Yeah, I'd agree he makes a lot of interceptions, but they're all in a very defined area of the pitch.  So I'm not sure if that's down to his reading of the game or the fact he doesn't move much from that 10 yard square.  

If he isn't moving from that position he needs to offer more to the side in my eyes.  Hessenthaler did that role last season but was more mobile and moved the play quicker, which is a big frustration of mine with Rose.  

We've only 11 players on the pitch and I don't think we can afford someone out there who's only really making interceptions when the ball comes within a whisker of him.

I think you're probably right in terms of expectation.  I think we all thought and hoped at the time that Rose would be an upgrade on Hessenthaler but that's not the case.  

For what it's worth I don't think he's awful, just like I don't think any of our players are awful.  If anything it's a case of a lack of balance in the squad that has seen such a poor first return from the first 28 games rather than lack of individual attributes.
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 98
arryarryarry
February 24, 2021, 3:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 117
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 98
pontoonlew
February 24, 2021, 3:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from pen penfras
I don't understand why Rose gets so much grief. His reading of the game has been fantastic all season and the amount of interceptions are incredible. He's given away some daft penalties, usually when we were already losing, but I feel he's more a victim of expectation than actually playing badly. For me he's been our best player this season.

I think Rose suffered from having to do 2-3 players jobs at the start of the season with the likes of Morton and Taylor alongside him. It also didn't help that we passed out from the back, it felt at times like none of the defenders trusted anybody but Rose and the ball constantly went to him, if you're being close down 10 yards from your own box every single time you're going to cost us a goal at some point.

He's a classy player for me and showed that last night, I can't remember one missed pass from him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 98
pen penfras
February 24, 2021, 3:18pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -133
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from diehardmariner
The question for me regards Rose is what else does he offer and how does it fit into the team?  Yeah, I'd agree he makes a lot of interceptions, but they're all in a very defined area of the pitch.  So I'm not sure if that's down to his reading of the game or the fact he doesn't move much from that 10 yard square.  

If he isn't moving from that position he needs to offer more to the side in my eyes.  Hessenthaler did that role last season but was more mobile and moved the play quicker, which is a big frustration of mine with Rose.  

We've only 11 players on the pitch and I don't think we can afford someone out there who's only really making interceptions when the ball comes within a whisker of him.

I think you're probably right in terms of expectation.  I think we all thought and hoped at the time that Rose would be an upgrade on Hessenthaler but that's not the case.  

For what it's worth I don't think he's awful, just like I don't think any of our players are awful.  If anything it's a case of a lack of balance in the squad that has seen such a poor first return from the first 28 games rather than lack of individual attributes.

Are you serious about Hessenthaler? I don't think he passed the ball forwards once all season. He was a massive factor in our laboured play, although that may have been partly down to Jolley's instructions. Hessenthaler was busier, but Rose's passing and vision is much better.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 98
Northbank Mariner
February 24, 2021, 3:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,526
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from arryarryarry

Talk about sour grapes!..the man's a pr!CK, the way he went at the 4th official at full time was nothing short of embarrassing..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 98
BobbyCummingsTackle
February 24, 2021, 3:40pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,301
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from arryarryarry

I like him! No excuses, no cobblers. It's our fault and we weren't good enough.

He didn't slag us and basically said, Grimsby play like they play and it's our job to deal with it.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 98
MuddyWaters
February 24, 2021, 4:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,286
Gold Stars: 236

I like him! No excuses, no cobblers. It's our fault and we weren't good enough.

He didn't slag us and basically said, Grimsby play like they play and it's our job to deal with it.

I'd question the sanity of anyone who plays Tilley as a wing back.
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 98
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.