10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
IlkleyMariner
February 24, 2021, 10:38am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +2,984
Gold Stars: 69
We showed grit and determination which will be needed if we are going to get out of this mess.
Think we'll be ok.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 98
Grimsbynewhope
February 24, 2021, 10:44am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 1
Wouldn’t give a dam if we performed like that every game this season as long as we got the points, not out of the woods but at least we can see a path to safety
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 98
pontoonlew
February 24, 2021, 10:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,841
Gold Stars: 167
Quoted from gobby
IMHO I thought the Ref had a good game last night, I have just seen the highlights and realised it was Bobby Madley the old Premiership Ref.
UTMM

Aside from booking Adams for a dive which was almost comical
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 98
gobby
February 24, 2021, 10:54am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +772
Gold Stars: 7
If it was his second yellow I think it was the Assistant that gave the foul and the Ref backed him up. 😎
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 98
MuddyWaters
February 24, 2021, 11:08am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
A night when the result was far more important than the performance. It's bound to feel like a monkey off the back for all concerned and let's hope that we now kick on.

That said, we were appalling defensively with only Elliott Hewitt and Eastwood coming out with any credit. Hard to criticise anyone in the front 6 as they all worked hard - Rose having one of his better games. Not exactly sure how we're trying to play but Morais returning was an obvious benefit and Coke's tackle was awesome (so to speak!).
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 98
Bigdog
February 24, 2021, 11:24am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from MuddyWaters
A night when the result was far more important than the performance. It's bound to feel like a monkey off the back for all concerned and let's hope that we now kick on.

That said, we were appalling defensively with only Elliott Hewitt and Eastwood coming out with any credit.
Hard to criticise anyone in the front 6 as they all worked hard - Rose having one of his better games. Not exactly sure how we're trying to play but Morais returning was an obvious benefit and Coke's tackle was awesome (so to speak!).

For balance, I'd say that the two centre halves won virtually everything in the air last night. It shouldn't be taken for granted and especially in those conditions. Crawley are one of the best teams going forward in the division, and yes they hit the bar and should have scored early on, but I can't really remember them going that close on many occasions at all. Maybe the fans' desperation for a win overemphasised their threat? The left back position is up for grabs, and one of our centre halves will always struggle against pacy forwards whoever plays, unless Hewitt plays with Menayese, but after our first win in yonks, I'm not going to advocate that at this stage..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 98
Bigdog
February 24, 2021, 11:34am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Stew0_0
I think we set up all wrong to be honest. The single striker up front on his own left Payne isolated and lacking service. We didnt get the ball wide enough all game and our defending was panicky and full of mistakes.
Lucky not to concede more or at least give 1 maybe 2 penalties away. I think we need Pollock back in there and back to form.
Think it will end up being a good thing that Bunney is suspended as not been impressed in either appearance and hope Habergham or Hendrie takes their opportunity in the next game.
Theres obviously no lack of effort though which shows they are up for the fight. Really like Matete, Hewitt at right back, Morais whipping the balls in from the right and we looked better with 2 up top.
In the next game, maybe playing with 3 CBs to accomodate Pollock with wing backs and 2 strikers may be a better option to sharpen us at both ends.
Utm

So you'd only play three out of Adams, Morais, Coke, El Mizouni, Matete and Rose then? And the only width coming from full backs pushed forward unless you want to expose three centre halves more than a back four? No Morais crosses or Adams carrying the ball? At least five out of six of those players have to play every game imho, maybe until the last half hour when game situations may dictate throwing on ageing forwards to nick a goal or help to hold the ball up better. I'm quite happy with a midfield five starting for now with Payne up top on his own..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 98
ginnywings
February 24, 2021, 12:12pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Cheers KM

I'm still waiting for the jab to be offered to me though at my age it won't be too much longer

But in the interim,  that win tonight is a real shot in the arm

Maybe it's because those endorphins have been absent for so long, but I've got to say, I'm just happy after a Town game for once

UTM

Getting my jab this afternoon and with Town winning, things look a little rosier today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 98
Hagrid
February 24, 2021, 12:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,391
Gold Stars: 529
Had Mine couple weeks back. No issues. Just a dead arm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 98
diehardmariner
February 24, 2021, 12:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,428
Gold Stars: 532
In terms of the performance it wasn't great but bloody hell that win could be so important.  It's the type of win you know Hurst loves, absolutely dogged to the end.  Forget the goals, forget the red card, even forget the wind.  That win was summed up by Elliott Hewitt's block where he literally jumped backwards to dive into the shot with his legs.  

First half I thought we left Payne too isolated, despite what looked like a midfield that could support him on paper.  Morais Adams and El Mizouni are all what I would class at attack minded midfielders whilst Matete isn't afraid to push forward either.  Sadly it didn't really feel like any of them consistently got close to Payne.   Conditions definitely didn't help but we reacted to Crawley's formation more than taking the game to them, at least in my eyes anyway.  Their front three mean our fullbacks were drawn inside and didn't offer too many outlets.  Despite having 5 in midfield we were often out numbered in there, probably due to Rose sitting very deep.  I like the role that Rose plays and I thought he had a decent enough game, but I'm not sure it's enough.  He wasn't deep enough to be a 3rd centre back, but neither far forward enough to help the other midfielders.  When conditions are better you can maybe argue that his role is more effective as we look for someone to take the ball off the defence and give to the likes of Adams, Morais.  But last night it felt like he was marking space a lot of the time.  Completely different coming on to defend a lead for ten minutes, but Coke sorta imposed himself on the game how you want someone in that role to do.

For all the criticism of Bunney, I actually thought he did ok.  Yeah, few moments where he completely misplaced his pass and he definitely got away with one when it looked like he gave a penno away.  But the hammering he's taking is really unfair in my eyes.  Maybe he shouldn't have played because of his personal circumstances but he offers balance to the side and I just thought he did ok.  Nothing great but nothing dreadful.

Morais' deliveries from wide are one of the things I'm certain will see us survive.   Last night loads of balls went into the box but no-one other than Payne was there.  Another striker on the pitch and/or the midfield pushing forward and those chances will be taken.   Thought Adams was fairly quiet and maybe a little lightweight for the type of game when it's hustle and bustle, but he took his goal excellently.   El Mizouni showed in flashes what he can do and definitely want to see more of him running with the ball and taking it to teams.  Lot of comments about Matete not having his best game, yet he was still far more effective than Morton, Taylor etc. were at any point this season.  That shows the improvements we've made in terms of actual bodies.  

As others have said the tackles from Coke and Matete were stuff that would be cheered like a goal.  

At the back I thought we looked shambolic at times.  Menayse is quicker than Waterfall but I still don't think he's exactly lightning, was a few times where he just looked completely lost with what's going on around him.  Waterfall seems to think he's quicker than he is and wants to play an offside trap that is never going to work.

Hanson coming on was key as he made things stick up there.  Understand the five man midfield to keep things tight but that's no good if it just comes back straight away either.  

Positive comes from the result and the confidence it'll bring.  But still a lot of work to do.  Baby steps.
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 98
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.