Bigdog
January 20, 2021, 1:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from horsforthmariner
A sort of halfway house would be to locate the training facilities in Brigg. For players who live in Sheffield or Leeds (perhaps Nottingham) this becomes more commutable but it’s not far for the youth team to come.

Let's spend a once in a lifetime £5m on a halfway house (compromise) to save a handful of uncommitted players on short contracts 20 minutes off a commute while inconveniencing hundreds of junior and youth players, their coaches, parents, the players that live in and around Grimsby, our sports science team, our physios etc etc etc and have what should be a community asset.. not in our community..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 44
ska face
January 20, 2021, 1:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,658
Gold Stars: 847
Aren’t the youth team already based at Wintringham rather than Cheapside?
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 44
Bigdog
January 20, 2021, 1:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from ska face

Cheapside isn't big enough for all of the age groups and lacks floodlit and all weather facilities. Surely the aim for the long term should be to centralise the whole operation?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 44
Tommy
January 20, 2021, 2:17pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from ska face

Only due to covid measures I think. Its only the Academy age groups that are normally based at Wintringham.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 44
BenBB
January 20, 2021, 7:12pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +843
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from 3610
Writing this on the other thread really got me thinking about barrows training and how we could do the same.

We MUST get new training facilities. And I think these must be in or around Doncaster. It’s not too far away for local lads and our youth team to get to and also not too far to lose all connection to the town. but it would be ideally placed for a very large catchment area.  This catchment area would be a game changer.

If you draw a circle round Grimsby. Half of it is in the sea.  This doesn’t make it great for recruiting players based on their location.

If we built a state of the art training facility in Doncaster, and drew the same circle around it, it would cover so many places.  Leeds down the road. Manchester is 1.30 away. Nottingham an hour. Birmingham 1.30. Players wouldn’t have to move families etc..  

These need to be top draw facilities as well. Up there with the best in the division. Proper strength and conditioning facility.  Better medical department. The works. Showing a player around these, which is far closer to their home, with the history of our club as well thrown in on top, would make recruitment a million times easier.

Fenty has driven us into the ground. We have had intercourse all of a progressive development plan for our club. The only plan we have had is to cut costs. We are miles behind most other clubs now. We have to start thinking like a modern day football club. The games moved on. How can we become an attractive place to play? What can we do to help us get back to the top of league one again?

For me it starts with a new state of the art training ground and it’s location. This trumps the new stadium. Yeah I hundred percent agree we need to move etc... but players will be more attracted to the former than the later. We need to put our money here first, and not spank it all on our move and have a great new stadium on the docks- but still struggle to attract decent players cos they would have to spend the majority of their training week in 3 portacabins. Get both if possible, if not ..... then the training ground first, stadium second.

Having said all that..... if the only way we could afford it, was if we sold a million pounds worth of shares to a convicted fraudster...... I’d rather us train on Cleethorpes beach forevermore.

Doncaster would be a good shout to be fair. Direct connection to London through the East Coast Mainline (Doncaster Station) and other big cities like Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield, Birmingham, Hull, Newcastle etc.

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 34 - 44
grimsbybrown
January 20, 2021, 7:16pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from wuffing
Regeneration is the key here. I think I read that the consortium are looking to regenerate the old fishing ice house. Well, this could also include a 'digs' block for incoming youth/talent. Easy train/transport links, our own kind of 'centre for excellence.' Just think what a pull this would create for incoming talent for/from our area.

Now wouldn't that be great?

This tackles the location issue another way round.  Providing housing as part of the package may make things more attractive for players.

Of course, that would mean a lot of capital investment and a strategic vision.

Investment in whatever form, whether moving or improving facilities, has to be at the heart of our progression.  

Over time this kind of structural investment would be of more value than just spunking money on a couple of transfer fees - year on year this kind of investment will make us more attractive and competitive in player recruitment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 44
KingstonMariner
January 20, 2021, 9:10pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from grimsbybrown

This tackles the location issue another way round.  Providing housing as part of the package may make things more attractive for players.

Investment in whatever form, whether moving or improving facilities, has to be at the heart of our progression.  

Over time this kind of structural investment would be of more value than just spunking money on a couple of transfer fees - year on year this kind of investment will make us more attractive and competitive in player recruitment.

The problem with tied housing (unless the players can afford to keep their current houses) is people like different things. It’s a bit like in the services where everyone gets the same and had limited freedom what they can do with it.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 44
KingstonMariner
January 20, 2021, 9:11pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from grimsbybrown

The problem with tied housing (unless the players can afford to keep their current houses) is people like different things. It’s a bit like in the services where everyone gets the same and had limited freedom what they can do with it.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 44
RichMariner
January 21, 2021, 1:20pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
Is there any reason why the training facilities can't be on the docks too?

I love it as a location for the new stadium. You've got a train station literally opposite the road, for all the exiles and away fans, and easy access straight back out onto the A180.

All this talk about a halfway house... if you've got all the way to Brigg or Scunny, what's another 20-30 mins commute if you're gonna get to train at a high-spec modern training ground?

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 38 - 44
GollyGTFC
January 21, 2021, 1:35pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,958
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from Bigdog

Let's spend a once in a lifetime £5m on a halfway house (compromise) to save a handful of uncommitted players on short contracts 20 minutes off a commute while inconveniencing hundreds of junior and youth players, their coaches, parents, the players that live in and around Grimsby, our sports science team, our physios etc etc etc and have what should be a community asset.. not in our community..

Firstly, £5 million? Really? Lincoln's training ground cost £1.3m.

And Junior players aren't based at Cheapside are they? They're based at Oasis Academy Wintringham, so doesn't effect them where the first team are training.

Youth players (I assume you mean 1st & 2nd year YTs) aren't all based in North East Lincolnshire are they? Take a closer look at them. As many come from other's club's academies than come through our own junior system. At the end of the day those players are club employees as soon as they sign a YT form and they will train wherever the club tells them to train. The club has a mini bus for those who can't make their own way to the training ground. Nothing would change,

And anyway, who said the club's training ground should be a community asset? It's not. It's the clubs premises for training and match preparation.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 39 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New training facility and it’s location

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.