Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New training facility and it’s location
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 315 Guests

New training facility and it’s location

This thread currently has 6,139 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
January 19, 2021, 5:54pm
Guest User
Writing this on the other thread really got me thinking about barrows training and how we could do the same.

We MUST get new training facilities. And I think these must be in or around Doncaster. It’s not too far away for local lads and our youth team to get to and also not too far to lose all connection to the town. but it would be ideally placed for a very large catchment area.  This catchment area would be a game changer.

If you draw a circle round Grimsby. Half of it is in the sea.  This doesn’t make it great for recruiting players based on their location.

If we built a state of the art training facility in Doncaster, and drew the same circle around it, it would cover so many places.  Leeds down the road. Manchester is 1.30 away. Nottingham an hour. Birmingham 1.30. Players wouldn’t have to move families etc..  

These need to be top draw facilities as well. Up there with the best in the division. Proper strength and conditioning facility.  Better medical department. The works. Showing a player around these, which is far closer to their home, with the history of our club as well thrown in on top, would make recruitment a million times easier.

Fenty has driven us into the ground. We have had intercourse all of a progressive development plan for our club. The only plan we have had is to cut costs. We are miles behind most other clubs now. We have to start thinking like a modern day football club. The games moved on. How can we become an attractive place to play? What can we do to help us get back to the top of league one again?

For me it starts with a new state of the art training ground and it’s location. This trumps the new stadium. Yeah I hundred percent agree we need to move etc... but players will be more attracted to the former than the later. We need to put our money here first, and not spank it all on our move and have a great new stadium on the docks- but still struggle to attract decent players cos they would have to spend the majority of their training week in 3 portacabins. Get both if possible, if not ..... then the training ground first, stadium second.

Having said all that..... if the only way we could afford it, was if we sold a million pounds worth of shares to a convicted fraudster...... I’d rather us train on Cleethorpes beach forevermore.
Stadium
January 19, 2021, 5:58pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,929
Gold Stars: 19
Interesting.
How many other clubs have a training facility 50 miles from their stadium??

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 44
January 19, 2021, 6:02pm
Guest User
Quoted from Stadium
Interesting.

Locally to me I know bury used to train in Carrington which is twenty miles and barrow even further ,
Reply: 2 - 44
IlkleyMariner
January 19, 2021, 6:18pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +2,984
Gold Stars: 69
There are a lot of eye catching headlines about this, but we are looking at a decision to affect the next couple of decades, maybe more, so no knee jerk reactions please.

We might for example want to share facility with one of our feeder clubs, like Scunny who will surely be confined to non league soon.

We should also make sure we understand the extent to which this remote facility approach is used across the leagues, and does it work. Not so long ago we wanted everything on one site to allow local people to use most of the weeks.

It’s not a NOW decision, but it’s certainly an important one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 44
mimma
January 19, 2021, 6:25pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,567
Gold Stars: 78
Training facilities are not just for the first team, but also for all the youth and junior teams. By putting them far out of town to accommodate players that live out of town you will make the inaccessible to the young local players. If players sign for us then they know where we train and will be able to afford a car and petrol.

Daft idea to move them for the players that live away at the expense of the local talent  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 44
moosey_club
January 19, 2021, 6:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,213
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from 3610
Writing this on the other thread really got me thinking about barrows training and how we could do the same.

We MUST get new training facilities. And I think these must be in or around Doncaster. It’s not too far away for local lads and our youth team to get to and also not too far to lose all connection to the town. but it would be ideally placed for a very large catchment area.  This catchment area would be a game changer.

If you draw a circle round Grimsby. Half of it is in the sea.  This doesn’t make it great for recruiting players based on their location.

If we built a state of the art training facility in Doncaster, and drew the same circle around it, it would cover so many places.  Leeds down the road. Manchester is 1.30 away. Nottingham an hour. Birmingham 1.30. Players wouldn’t have to move families etc..  

These need to be top draw facilities as well. Up there with the best in the division. Proper strength and conditioning facility.  Better medical department. The works. Showing a player around these, which is far closer to their home, with the history of our club as well thrown in on top, would make recruitment a million times easier.

Fenty has driven us into the ground. We have had intercourse all of a progressive development plan for our club. The only plan we have had is to cut costs. We are miles behind most other clubs now. We have to start thinking like a modern day football club. The games moved on. How can we become an attractive place to play? What can we do to help us get back to the top of league one again?

For me it starts with a new state of the art training ground and it’s location. This trumps the new stadium. Yeah I hundred percent agree we need to move etc... but players will be more attracted to the former than the later. We need to put our money here first, and not spank it all on our move and have a great new stadium on the docks- but still struggle to attract decent players cos they would have to spend the majority of their training week in 3 portacabins. Get both if possible, if not ..... then the training ground first, stadium second.

Having said all that..... if the only way we could afford it, was if we sold a million pounds worth of shares to a convicted fraudster...... I’d rather us train on Cleethorpes beach forevermore.

I get your point but why would you draw a circle and include the Humber if you were looking at a catchment area ? Are you looking to hijack the passing ships for football talent ?  Liverpool , Everton , Hull , Southampton, Portsmouth, Newcastle, Sunderland , Swansea, Cardiff, Blackpool, Fleetwood etc etc are all the same in that respect , coastal towns/ cities with their backs to the water.
Time was we were the draw for the whole of Northern Lincolnshire , Humberside ......but the other local teams have surpassed us in League standings over the last 10 -15 yrs....our decline over that period saw the youth set up savaged, any ground/ infrastructure spending scythed and the penny pincher behind it all also responsible for "negotiating" player contracts.
Whilst i am not against a move for a more central training base it certainly isnt just a case of location location location....i am somewhat hopeful that any new takeover may see some of the draconian spending habits disappear and we may find that suddenly the location isnt that much of an issue.....as long as we can climb out of the current spot we find ourselves in league position wise.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 44
ska face
January 19, 2021, 6:55pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,568
Gold Stars: 839
Would fully agree with that. Day to day, players spend most of their working life at GTFC on the training ground - 4/5 days a week, all morning & early afternoon. Most players will only see BP about 25 times a year.

We need to be closer to the major population centres nearby - Sheffield, Doncaster, Leeds & West Yorks, even Hull. Even from Doncaster North services, you’re looking at 60-90 mins each way on a good day. Do that 5 times a week and it soon adds up in time, petrol, wear & tear on the car/body/mind.

It’s unrealistic to expect players to relocate to the area on 1 and 2 year  contracts, and on the wages we offer. Things are also a lot different to 30, 40, 50 years ago too as most households have two working adults now.  
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 44
Bigdog
January 19, 2021, 7:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
We've got an incoming board whose central plan is to redevelop the run down areas of the docks in Grimsby and enrich what is still quite a large but neglected conurbation. So building a state of the art training facility fifty miles away in another county to save a percentage of players forty minutes off a commute while denying the club, its youth development and local townsfolk the chance to benefit from a centralised facility is never gonna happen and this nonsensical idea needs putting to bed. What a massive statement in lack of confidence of project all new GTFC that would be. Just another reason for for not wanting a fan led club is even the notion of building a training facility fifty miles away getting any traction at all on here. Talking about using a panicky short-termist sledgehammer to crack a nut. There are so many ways to make our club a more attractive proposition for prospective players, which I'm sure in time Shutes & Co with the help of PH will address. The aim should be eventually to have a good proportion of a successful squad staying at the club beyond a year or two, continuity breeds success, we haven't had that for so long due to brinkmanship, lack of foresight and penny pinching, while other clubs have flourished. A training facility in South Yorkshire isn't at the bottom of the list, it shouldn't even be on the list..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 44
Bigdog
January 19, 2021, 7:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Stadium
Interesting.

Other than Barrow.. none.
The idea's not radical, it's knee-jerk, short-sighted and barmy..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 44
IlkleyMariner
January 19, 2021, 7:20pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +2,984
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Bigdog

Exactly
No knee jerk reaction please
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 44
MrFisherman
January 19, 2021, 7:30pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: -168
I've never read so much crap in my life
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 44
KingstonMariner
January 19, 2021, 9:17pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Bigdog

And that’s not at all a knee jerk reaction is it?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 44
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
January 19, 2021, 11:45pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +831
Gold Stars: 117
Since when has this club ever pandered down to the players? Bugga all the other clubs. Training facilities have always been local, even before the club moved its training facilities to Cheapside.

Location has nothing to do with it. Wages are the problem. This has been proven many times over the years, and especially over the last 13 months we have heard of numerous times players have been 'on the verge' of signing but then join another team because they were either offered a higher wage, full stop, or Fenty's insistence of including a Covid clause.

If the wages are right, players will come. If we could sign a few proven younger players whose wages would not be included in the allowed budget, then that could be a shrewd piece of business. Whatever happened to 'speculate to accumulate'?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 44
ska face
January 20, 2021, 3:36am

Vodka Drinker
We should never pander to the players, just pay them more! 🙃 We’re going to have a job on with that in the future given the salary cap the current board were so keen to vote through.

Been said countless times by managers recently that location IS an issue and it’s difficult to attract players to the club. Money isn’t everything, especially at our level where you’re talking in the realms of an extra £25, £50, £100.

We need to move away from “what we have always done”. We’ve been in steady ( sometimes not so steady) decline for at least 20 years now, the world has moved on around us and we need to be innovative to make up for these two lost decades. I don’t think it’s something SSP would be interested in, but there are far worse ideas.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 44
Yoda
January 20, 2021, 4:35am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,121
Gold Stars: 71
Players don’t train from 8am to 5pm all day they might do 3 hours per day so an hours drive each way is nothing 3 or 4 times a week.

If location is that important why not build it in London.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 44
aldi_01
January 20, 2021, 6:00am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Building a training facility that’s state of the art and a little more than the Sunday league affair at cheapside would go a long way to recruiting players and developing younger lads.

If it’s built out of town, on a more accessible route what’s the issue?

I’m assuming those saying it should be in the town are the same folk that still buy in to the notion that players should live in the area? Once upon a time may be but the world and game has moved forward. If living an hour away means the player is happier personally that is more likely to have a positive impact on their professional life.

I’ve spent almost my entire career working a considerable distance from my home, if I moved to here my school is situated I wouldn’t be happy which then has a knock on effect.

Building the training facility near Barton or even Brigg is hardly a million miles away.

Carrington is a considerable distance from Old Trafford if you drive it...however, it’s pretty much straight off the motorway.

It has to be food for thought and first and foremost, has to be about improving facilities.

We’d all agree, recruitment has always been an issue, more so over the last 20 years. Cheapside isn’t the only reason for that but it can’t help.

Perhaps this isn’t even on the consortiums plan but from a supporter point of view it’s a more enjoyable discussion than constantly going over how flipping dreadful we are...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 44
BobbyCummingsTackle
January 20, 2021, 7:40am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,196
Gold Stars: 291
Any move needs thinking through carefully...

My mum and dad live on Cheapside and a lot of the youth players get the bus to training - they get off at the crossroads and walk down Cheapside to the training ground. They would need help to get a new training ground out of town whether it's Gt Coates or Doncaster.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 44
wuffing
January 20, 2021, 8:06am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +835
Gold Stars: 38
Regeneration is the key here. I think I read that the consortium are looking to regenerate the old fishing ice house. Well, this could also include a 'digs' block for incoming youth/talent. Easy train/transport links, our own kind of 'centre for excellence.' Just think what a pull this would create for incoming talent for/from our area.

Now wouldn't that be great?

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 44
golfer
January 20, 2021, 9:03am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
This must be one of the most stupid threads ever suggesting we have a training ground 50 miles away FFS
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 44
GollyGTFC
January 20, 2021, 9:06am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from Bigdog

Not 50 miles, but Notts County spent a spell using St. George's Park as their training base. That's a 38 miles drive from Meadow Lane.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 44
Humbercod
January 20, 2021, 9:31am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,494
Gold Stars: 82
Stick some caravans on cheapside job done.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 44
golfer
January 20, 2021, 10:01am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
I wonder if Cheapside has planning position for houses, who owns the land and who would do the building  Methinks.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 44
denni266
January 20, 2021, 10:40am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +696
Gold Stars: 132
Quoted from golfer
I wonder if Cheapside has planning position for houses, who owns the land and who would do the building  Methinks.

Dont give fenty any more ideas  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 44
Bristol Mariner
January 20, 2021, 11:04am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Maybe in Salford you could watch?

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 44
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 20, 2021, 12:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
I agree about times changing and the practicality of players not wanting to uproot their families for 1 or 2 year contracts. For me, the ideal location would be somewhere near to elsham/brigg . Great links to road, air and rail networks, not too far from Grimsby/cleethorpes and already has the likes of elsham hall and forest pines in close proximity (beats staying at millfields sic)

Will it happen? I think it is doubtful but with the potential new owners actually prepared to be ‘radical’ and forward thinking, then who knows

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 44
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 20, 2021, 12:21pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Don’t jump down my throat on this but how about Brigg? There is the Brigg Town ground of course plus a Leisure centre.unfortunately it is not in NEL.  An alternative if we do not want to upset Cleethorpes Town by investing in their rivals would be the Clee Road site or the North Prom sands, tides permitting.

Seems to me though that Brigg has many advantages, easy M-way access being key.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 44
psgmariner
January 20, 2021, 12:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Non starter for me - unfair on the youth team and further disconnects the town from the club.

Private Message
Reply: 26 - 44
RichMariner
January 20, 2021, 12:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,131
Gold Stars: 209
The consortium are all about regenerating the town and bringing back a sense of pride in the club, so I'd be surprised if they entertained this idea (although I can understand where it came from).

How about we build a state-of-the-art training facility right here in Grimsby, with everything a modern footballer would want.

Make it something they'd be willing to travel for.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 27 - 44
Bigdog
January 20, 2021, 12:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from psgmariner
Non starter for me - unfair on the youth team and further disconnects the town from the club.

And also unfair on the players that actually do move to the Grimsby area and are willing and available to get involved in community projects. I thought that's what everyone wanted, Just because a failed penny pinching regime has struggled to attract players to their crumbling club citing location as the key excuse for their failure to sign players of any quality, doesn't mean to say it will always be so under new ownership. I could just about understand this idea out of desperation under a continuing Fenty regime, but I trust the new owners will change the perception of the club over time to make this whole training ground location "problem" a moot point..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 44
horsforthmariner
January 20, 2021, 1:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,588
Gold Stars: 9
A sort of halfway house would be to locate the training facilities in Brigg. For players who live in Sheffield or Leeds (perhaps Nottingham) this becomes more commutable but it’s not far for the youth team to come.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 44
Bigdog
January 20, 2021, 1:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from horsforthmariner
A sort of halfway house would be to locate the training facilities in Brigg. For players who live in Sheffield or Leeds (perhaps Nottingham) this becomes more commutable but it’s not far for the youth team to come.

Let's spend a once in a lifetime £5m on a halfway house (compromise) to save a handful of uncommitted players on short contracts 20 minutes off a commute while inconveniencing hundreds of junior and youth players, their coaches, parents, the players that live in and around Grimsby, our sports science team, our physios etc etc etc and have what should be a community asset.. not in our community..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 44
ska face
January 20, 2021, 1:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Aren’t the youth team already based at Wintringham rather than Cheapside?
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 44
Bigdog
January 20, 2021, 1:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ska face

Cheapside isn't big enough for all of the age groups and lacks floodlit and all weather facilities. Surely the aim for the long term should be to centralise the whole operation?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 44
Tommy
January 20, 2021, 2:17pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from ska face

Only due to covid measures I think. Its only the Academy age groups that are normally based at Wintringham.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 44
BenBB
January 20, 2021, 7:12pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +843
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from 3610

Doncaster would be a good shout to be fair. Direct connection to London through the East Coast Mainline (Doncaster Station) and other big cities like Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield, Birmingham, Hull, Newcastle etc.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 34 - 44
grimsbybrown
January 20, 2021, 7:16pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from wuffing
Regeneration is the key here. I think I read that the consortium are looking to regenerate the old fishing ice house. Well, this could also include a 'digs' block for incoming youth/talent. Easy train/transport links, our own kind of 'centre for excellence.' Just think what a pull this would create for incoming talent for/from our area.

Now wouldn't that be great?

This tackles the location issue another way round.  Providing housing as part of the package may make things more attractive for players.

Of course, that would mean a lot of capital investment and a strategic vision.

Investment in whatever form, whether moving or improving facilities, has to be at the heart of our progression.  

Over time this kind of structural investment would be of more value than just spunking money on a couple of transfer fees - year on year this kind of investment will make us more attractive and competitive in player recruitment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 44
KingstonMariner
January 20, 2021, 9:10pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from grimsbybrown

This tackles the location issue another way round.  Providing housing as part of the package may make things more attractive for players.

Investment in whatever form, whether moving or improving facilities, has to be at the heart of our progression.  

Over time this kind of structural investment would be of more value than just spunking money on a couple of transfer fees - year on year this kind of investment will make us more attractive and competitive in player recruitment.

The problem with tied housing (unless the players can afford to keep their current houses) is people like different things. It’s a bit like in the services where everyone gets the same and had limited freedom what they can do with it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 44
KingstonMariner
January 20, 2021, 9:11pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from grimsbybrown

The problem with tied housing (unless the players can afford to keep their current houses) is people like different things. It’s a bit like in the services where everyone gets the same and had limited freedom what they can do with it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 44
RichMariner
January 21, 2021, 1:20pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,131
Gold Stars: 209
Is there any reason why the training facilities can't be on the docks too?

I love it as a location for the new stadium. You've got a train station literally opposite the road, for all the exiles and away fans, and easy access straight back out onto the A180.

All this talk about a halfway house... if you've got all the way to Brigg or Scunny, what's another 20-30 mins commute if you're gonna get to train at a high-spec modern training ground?

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 38 - 44
GollyGTFC
January 21, 2021, 1:35pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

Let's spend a once in a lifetime £5m on a halfway house (compromise) to save a handful of uncommitted players on short contracts 20 minutes off a commute while inconveniencing hundreds of junior and youth players, their coaches, parents, the players that live in and around Grimsby, our sports science team, our physios etc etc etc and have what should be a community asset.. not in our community..

Firstly, £5 million? Really? Lincoln's training ground cost £1.3m.

And Junior players aren't based at Cheapside are they? They're based at Oasis Academy Wintringham, so doesn't effect them where the first team are training.

Youth players (I assume you mean 1st & 2nd year YTs) aren't all based in North East Lincolnshire are they? Take a closer look at them. As many come from other's club's academies than come through our own junior system. At the end of the day those players are club employees as soon as they sign a YT form and they will train wherever the club tells them to train. The club has a mini bus for those who can't make their own way to the training ground. Nothing would change,

And anyway, who said the club's training ground should be a community asset? It's not. It's the clubs premises for training and match preparation.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 39 - 44
Bigdog
January 21, 2021, 3:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Firstly, £5 million? Really? Lincoln's training ground cost £1.3m.

And Junior players aren't based at Cheapside are they? They're based at Oasis Academy Wintringham, so doesn't effect them where the first team are training.

Youth players (I assume you mean 1st & 2nd year YTs) aren't all based in North East Lincolnshire are they? Take a closer look at them. As many come from other's club's academies than come through our own junior system. At the end of the day those players are club employees as soon as they sign a YT form and they will train wherever the club tells them to train. The club has a mini bus for those who can't make their own way to the training ground. Nothing would change,

And anyway, who said the club's training ground should be a community asset? It's not. It's the clubs premises for training and match preparation.

Our new owners history in being involved with grant funded community based projects perhaps?

Lincoln's training complex isn't comprehensive. It's a very basic facility but obviously better than we have at present and centred around the first team, other age groups still spread across the city, I'd hope we aspire to better for the long term. Only three turf pitches, none artificial which can cost between 300-500k apiece. Not floodlit, no indoor pitch. It offers little more capacity than Cheapside other than better quality facilities, building and pitches. Of course it may be enough for what we need, and I'd happily take that, but I think we could do better. Other lower league clubs have invested much more than 1.3m, costs of creating turf pitches with drainage systems don't come cheap as don't artificial pitches, indoor pitches or floodlights or the land itself. Lincoln was privately funded and has stopped short of being a facility for every level of their club. I'd hope we could build a better centralised centre of excellence for all and creating a community asset is advantageous in obtaining grants to build something better than Lincoln have got. Why not aspire to do better than our rivals?

Google..                    

measuring the impact of efl clubs in the community - EFL.com

It's a pdf. Well worth a download and read..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 44
GollyGTFC
January 21, 2021, 3:46pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

Lincoln's training complex isn't comprehensive. It's a very basic facility but obviously better than we have at present and centred around the first team, other age groups still spread across the city, I'd hope we aspire to better for the long term. Only three turf pitches, none artificial which can cost between 300-500k apiece. Not floodlit, no indoor pitch. It offers little more capacity than Cheapside other than better quality facilities, building and pitches. Of course it may be enough for what we need, and I'd happily take that, but I think we could do better. Other lower league clubs have invested much more than 1.3m, costs of creating turf pitches with drainage systems don't come cheap as don't artificial pitches, indoor pitches or floodlights or the land itself. Lincoln was privately funded and has stopped short of being a facility for every level of their club. I'd hope we could build a better centralised centre of excellence for all and creating a community asset is advantageous in obtaining grants to build something better than Lincoln have got. Why not aspire to do better than our rivals?

Google..                    

measuring the impact of efl clubs in the community - EFL.com

It's a pdf. Well worth a download and read..

So it's better than our's in every way conceivable. More pitches. Better pitches. A better building. Better facilities. Better gym.

Why would we need floodlights on our training ground? Players are generally in from about 9:30AM until early afternoon (2ish). Daylight all year round during those hours.

Anyway, a sensible approach would be to build what we need now (see Lincoln's), but built in a way to add facilities in the future as we progress.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 41 - 44
Bigdog
January 21, 2021, 4:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

So it's better than our's in every way conceivable. More pitches. Better pitches. A better building. Better facilities. Better gym.

Why would we need floodlights on our training ground? Players are generally in from about 9:30AM until early afternoon (2ish). Daylight all year round during those hours.

Anyway, a sensible approach would be to build what we need now (see Lincoln's), but built in a way to add facilities in the future as we progress.

Who knows what the right or sensible approach is? You know what our new training ground budget is? I don't either, I was just going off the sums that other clubs have spent and the physical cost of buildings, pitches etc. It won't be our decision. It's beyond our knowledge at the minute. As it stands today we haven't a pot to pisss in and we're stuck at Cheapside. Of course we'd look at Lincoln's today and want that compared to Cheapside, but I was only pointing out that there could be better ways to create a more comprehensive grant funded training facility than the basic one at Lincoln, and one that just doesn't centre around the first team..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 44
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 21, 2021, 5:02pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,650
Gold Stars: 72
Read the debate re Lincoln’s training ground and, unless they have made significant improvements to it, I would hope we are getting something better. They have built there’s on the side of the A15, opposite RAF Scampton, where is is exposed very much to the elements and has had to be relaid already as it is susceptible to flooding. Plus not sure that it’s very much bigger in acreage to Cheapside.

They may have addressed a number of these issues, no doubt Norfolk Imp will soon correct me, but it certainly doesn’t look like the best choice of site to me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 44
KingstonMariner
January 21, 2021, 10:14pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Read the debate re Lincoln’s training ground and, unless they have made significant improvements to it, I would hope we are getting something better. They have built there’s on the side of the A15, opposite RAF Scampton, where is is exposed very much to the elements and has had to be relaid already as it is susceptible to flooding. Plus not sure that it’s very much bigger in acreage to Cheapside.

They may have addressed a number of these issues, no doubt Norfolk Imp will soon correct me, but it certainly doesn’t look like the best choice of site to me.

Sounds like an exposed site. Up there on the ridge, and then with Scampton's wide open spaces.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 44
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New training facility and it’s location

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.