January 19, 2021, 9:17pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Bigdog

Other than Barrow.. none.
The idea's not radical, it's knee-jerk, short-sighted and barmy..

And that’s not at all a knee jerk reaction is it?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 44
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
January 19, 2021, 11:45pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +843
Gold Stars: 117
Since when has this club ever pandered down to the players? Bugga all the other clubs. Training facilities have always been local, even before the club moved its training facilities to Cheapside.

Location has nothing to do with it. Wages are the problem. This has been proven many times over the years, and especially over the last 13 months we have heard of numerous times players have been 'on the verge' of signing but then join another team because they were either offered a higher wage, full stop, or Fenty's insistence of including a Covid clause.

If the wages are right, players will come. If we could sign a few proven younger players whose wages would not be included in the allowed budget, then that could be a shrewd piece of business. Whatever happened to 'speculate to accumulate'?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 44
ska face
January 20, 2021, 3:36am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,658
Gold Stars: 847
We should never pander to the players, just pay them more! 🙃 We’re going to have a job on with that in the future given the salary cap the current board were so keen to vote through.

Been said countless times by managers recently that location IS an issue and it’s difficult to attract players to the club. Money isn’t everything, especially at our level where you’re talking in the realms of an extra £25, £50, £100.

We need to move away from “what we have always done”. We’ve been in steady ( sometimes not so steady) decline for at least 20 years now, the world has moved on around us and we need to be innovative to make up for these two lost decades. I don’t think it’s something SSP would be interested in, but there are far worse ideas.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 44
Yoda
January 20, 2021, 4:35am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,162
Gold Stars: 71
Players don’t train from 8am to 5pm all day they might do 3 hours per day so an hours drive each way is nothing 3 or 4 times a week.

If location is that important why not build it in London.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 44
aldi_01
January 20, 2021, 6:00am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Building a training facility that’s state of the art and a little more than the Sunday league affair at cheapside would go a long way to recruiting players and developing younger lads.

If it’s built out of town, on a more accessible route what’s the issue?

I’m assuming those saying it should be in the town are the same folk that still buy in to the notion that players should live in the area? Once upon a time may be but the world and game has moved forward. If living an hour away means the player is happier personally that is more likely to have a positive impact on their professional life.

I’ve spent almost my entire career working a considerable distance from my home, if I moved to here my school is situated I wouldn’t be happy which then has a knock on effect.

Building the training facility near Barton or even Brigg is hardly a million miles away.

Carrington is a considerable distance from Old Trafford if you drive it...however, it’s pretty much straight off the motorway.

It has to be food for thought and first and foremost, has to be about improving facilities.

We’d all agree, recruitment has always been an issue, more so over the last 20 years. Cheapside isn’t the only reason for that but it can’t help.

Perhaps this isn’t even on the consortiums plan but from a supporter point of view it’s a more enjoyable discussion than constantly going over how flipping dreadful we are...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 44
BobbyCummingsTackle
January 20, 2021, 7:40am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,271
Gold Stars: 304
Any move needs thinking through carefully...

My mum and dad live on Cheapside and a lot of the youth players get the bus to training - they get off at the crossroads and walk down Cheapside to the training ground. They would need help to get a new training ground out of town whether it's Gt Coates or Doncaster.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 44
wuffing
January 20, 2021, 8:06am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +838
Gold Stars: 38
Regeneration is the key here. I think I read that the consortium are looking to regenerate the old fishing ice house. Well, this could also include a 'digs' block for incoming youth/talent. Easy train/transport links, our own kind of 'centre for excellence.' Just think what a pull this would create for incoming talent for/from our area.

Now wouldn't that be great?

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 44
golfer
January 20, 2021, 9:03am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,428
Gold Stars: 116
This must be one of the most stupid threads ever suggesting we have a training ground 50 miles away FFS
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 44
GollyGTFC
January 20, 2021, 9:06am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,961
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from Bigdog

Other than Barrow.. none.
The idea's not radical, it's knee-jerk, short-sighted and barmy..

Not 50 miles, but Notts County spent a spell using St. George's Park as their training base. That's a 38 miles drive from Meadow Lane.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New training facility and it’s location

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.