7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Boris Johnson
November 20, 2020, 2:07pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4

Personally I thought the directors of football clubs were there to invest in the clubs and support them financially in difficult times, in order to enjoy the better times but I am a bit old fashioned like that.

thats harsh, no income since March, Im surprised we have stayed afloat to be honest, unless this is a dig at Holloway, then I can understand where you are coming from.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 67
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
November 20, 2020, 2:07pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +842
Gold Stars: 117
The idea of returning one or more of the loanees all depends on the loan deal that was struck. The loan agreement can include a clause so we cannot send the player back early.

I certainly think a few contracted players who would be out of contract at the end of the season should be got rid.

In fact Ive just found a list of all the contracts and the following players are out of contract in May 2021

Battersby, Hendrie, Hewitt, Ohman, Mohsni, Pollock, Waterfall, Spokes, Tilley, Green and Hanson.

Either way if Ollie chooses to lose a few, he still has a serious number of new contracts to wangle for those he wants to keep, and more importantly those who want to stay.

Loanees are Preston, Morton, Taylor, Bennett, Edwards, Gomis and Windsor
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 67
Ipswin
November 20, 2020, 2:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from 123614

I don't think mistakes were made, I think that IH had his list of players he wanted to sign but for multiple reasons, they signed for some other teams and turned us down.  IH does not have a God given right to get the players he wanted, other clubs were in for them too.

I thought he said they'd walk through fire and over broken glass to play for him again just like Billy Clarke........oh hang on.....

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 67
Tommy
November 20, 2020, 2:33pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
I'll be amazed if we pay off any under-contract players. Really don't know why or how people are expecting us to offload some of the names banded about here that are under contract.

I think any squad trimming will be early cancellation of a few loans we've got in, and some of our own younger players possibly going out on loans.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 67
arryarryarry
November 20, 2020, 2:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from 123614

I don't think mistakes were made, I think that IH had his list of players he wanted to sign but for multiple reasons, they signed for some other teams and turned us down.  IH does not have a God given right to get the players he wanted, other clubs were in for them too.

He shouldnt have kept banging on about all those players who couldn't wait to come play for him.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 67
friskneymariner
November 20, 2020, 2:35pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Bit of northern wisdom Mr Holloway ''buy cheap buy twice''

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 67
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 20, 2020, 2:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Ipswin

I thought he said they'd walk through fire and over broken glass to play for him again just like Billy Clarke........oh hang on.....

Clarke lives in Bradford, quite a daily trek to Grimsby, and we clearly as a club made the decision not to pay the level of wages that Clarke clearly wanted and/or expected so he chose the wise option whereby he gets more pay and less travel pretty much what most us have done in our working career however much we might like our respective Managers.

Clearly, from Ollie’s interview today, plans are focused on 2021/22 with efforts already being made to identify who we want to recruit in the summer and no doubt his discussion last night with Day and JF gave the green light to these plans. Given this it is more and more like this season was always about sur
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 67
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 20, 2020, 2:51pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Clarke lives in Bradford, quite a daily trek to Grimsby, and we clearly as a club made the decision not to pay the level of wages that Clarke clearly wanted and/or expected so he chose the wise option whereby he gets more pay and less travel pretty much what most us have done in our working career however much we might like our respective Managers.

Clearly, from Ollie’s interview today, plans are focused on 2021/22 with efforts already being made to identify who we want to recruit in the summer and no doubt his discussion last night with Day and JF gave the green light to these plans. Given this it is more and more like this season was always about sur

(Apologies pressed wrong button)

.... survival, both financially and league wise, the priority. Thus it appears Ollie took a punt on a number of non league players hoping to find the odd diamond along with some seasoned professionals to see us through. As we know it’s looking like the recruiting this season is not what we hoped but in all fairness we are still waiting to see our strongest eleven take the field and I remain optimistic that we will not be in a relegation battle.

Finally, unless we have a Slade/ Jolley run of results over an extended period Ollie is definitely here for the foreseeable future and I personally am happy with that as history suggests a longer term approach will eventually bear some fruit. Whilst it always appears to be jam tomorrow maybe on this occasion we have to accept that is the case and hope we see the first shoots of the new dawn soon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 67
ginnywings
November 20, 2020, 2:53pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,125
Gold Stars: 548
In a recent interview with Matt Dean, when asked about incomings in Jan, Mr Day said it would be 1 in, 1 out.

It's obvious we need more firepower, so it makes sense to shift the underperformers. It's anyone's guess as to who that will be, but there are plenty of candidates. Some will cost money to shift and some won't, so it will be partly down to what we can afford I would imagine.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 67
Ipswin
November 20, 2020, 3:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Does this mean we are only going to recruit players either from within walking distance of Blundell Park or those who are willing to play for sod all . I thought we'd already done that

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 67
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Squad to be trimmed

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.