7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 20, 2020, 1:10pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I suspect this is as much to do with motivating players for the next game or two as it is about giving his plans for January.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 67
Davec
November 20, 2020, 1:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Surely it would be a case of trying to loan some players out rather than paying people off? That and cutting short a few loans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 67
November 20, 2020, 1:17pm
Guest User
I think it is obvious mistakes have been made in the recruitment process, and the fault of that lies mainly with the financial circumstances due to covid.

However, it is good to see that those mistakes have been recognised, and we might have to start again in January, but this time with light at the end of the tunnel we can offer proper contracts.

I hope this is the case anyway, and not just trimming the squad for further cost-cutting.  

Personally I thought the directors of football clubs were there to invest in the clubs and support them financially in difficult times, in order to enjoy the better times but I am a bit old fashioned like that.

I don't think mistakes were made, I think that IH had his list of players he wanted to sign but for multiple reasons, they signed for some other teams and turned us down.  IH does not have a God given right to get the players he wanted, other clubs were in for them too.

Reply: 22 - 67
promotion plaice
November 20, 2020, 1:23pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

Sounds like Ollie is trying to free up money to get someone in that can score goals in the January window, it's not like we aren't making the chances is it.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 67
Son of Cod
November 20, 2020, 1:25pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Davec
Surely it would be a case of trying to loan some players out rather than paying people off? That and cutting short a few loans.

Could be wrong, but I think we can only sign one more player on loan. Isn't 8 the limit? We're on 7 now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 67
Boris Johnson
November 20, 2020, 1:26pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
It felt at one stage, that if Tom from the Sunday League Pub Team had offered Holloway a player he would have taken them.

Id be interested to hear Holloway's reasoning and the method in the madness, to see if I can understand what he is/was trying to achieve, because I cant see anything.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 67
diehardmariner
November 20, 2020, 1:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,581
Gold Stars: 537
If we offload any of our permanent signings that will require a pay-off.  If we pay-up and effectively release someone now, they can't sign for anyone else until the window opens.  Added to that it's going to be even more difficult than ever to find a club, especially when you're deemed surplus to requirements at a struggling League Two club.  The only way from there is down and clubs in the National League and lower are absolutely dying on their feet.

I would have thought if Holloway hasn't told these players yet it can only be loan players as the mutual termination of a contract is just that, mutual. Surely?

But.....Preston, Edwards, Morton, Taylor, Gomis, Windsor, and Bennett (basically all of our loan players!) are all on season long loans, happy to be corrected on this but I think we can only end the loan in the transfer window.  

Puzzled by this.  Can't see any player agreeing to have their contract paid up and we're not able to terminate any loan deals yet.  Don't even think loaning anyone out is an option either, don't think any National League sides would want our players and the levels below have shut down.  

Odd.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 67
KingstonMariner
November 20, 2020, 1:33pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Ipswin

John Fenty has done that (even coughed up so we could travel and stay at Wembley FFS) but we then female dog and moan about his 'benign' loans

Lew doesn’t speak for everyone. I for one don’t want to see any more directors’ loans. So I’ll carry on bitching.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 67
Sandford1981
November 20, 2020, 1:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Are they taking their information from the rant he gave live on skysports news?

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 67
Sandford1981
November 20, 2020, 1:48pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 67
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Squad to be trimmed

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.