Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Would you have Paul Hurst back?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 348 Guests

Would you have Paul Hurst back as manager?
Yes
No
  View Results 176 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Would you have Paul Hurst back?

This thread currently has 11,701 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
RichMariner
November 19, 2020, 1:40pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
Quoted from 137
Too defensive tactically; mind-numbingly dull as an interviewee; let a 37-goals-the-previous-season striker walk away from the club; Parslow sub...so no for me.

Results-wise he was ok, but he's like a meal in a restaurant which is ok...you hope there's better on the menu.

We'd all swap any of our strikers* for Podge Amond right here and now wouldn't we?

* using the term somewhat loosely...

Again, not picking on you in particular, yes Hurst let our 37-goal striker leave for free but he did at least bring him to the club in the first place AND offer him a contract in January.

We reference the Parslow Point but how about remembering the 2-1 win at Scunny? We played great in the home game, albeit finished 0-0. Didn't we beat L2 Northampton in the next game, and set up a third round tie with Huddersifled (in which we gave it a go and ultimately lost 3-2)?

We love — absolutely love — to focus on the negatives, and define people by them. A lot of the positives, just because they didn't lead directly to a promotion, are totally forgotten. It's a shame. Hurst brought good quality players, team cohesion and got the players playing with effort. Bogle & Amond scored nearly 60 goals between them AND we got promoted...

When times are tough, I don't expect us to win promotion. I just expect a settled squad, players who play with passion, and that should lead onto better things, given time.

I really don't understand how supposed negativity gets you a play-off finish year after year. In the first 3 months of 15/16 we'd won 4-1 twice, 4-0 and 7-0 but yet we Isolate specific negative occasions.

All I'm saying is that we should at least be aware that there are many positive occasions from Hurst's tenure to pick out too. Claiming 'we only got promoted because...' does a massive disservice to everything the players gave us that season.

If we really felt Hurst was negative and a failure, there's no way we'd have raised £110k thinking that he'd likely get to spend it.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 50 - 68
jamesgtfc
November 19, 2020, 3:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,957
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from diehardmariner

The flip of that is that he consistently built a dressing rapport that couldn't be matched.  It's no secret that the team spirit was our best asset. He has to take credit for that.  Summer upon summer it was a rebuild effectively, yet we were always a united front.

That's got to be down to the consistency of a spine.  McKeown, Pearson and Disley.  Fair enough Disley was already ending his Indian summer and Pearson was deemed not good enough (which I disagree with) but Bignot and Slade both had attempts at removing all 3 from the scene.  Ultimately Slade succeeded with 2 of them.  I don't think we've ever really recovered from that, it ripped the heart out a little bit.

Buckley didn't have a great rapport with the fans either.  It was a love-hate relationship at times.  I guess the thing is you can be spiky with the fans but you have to back it up with results. Football fans have long memories.

I don't recall Slade trying to move McKeown on?

I remember Bignot telling everyone that Clifton was under contract. Next thing you know, he's out of contract and Slade gave him a deal!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 68
diehardmariner
November 19, 2020, 3:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,607
Gold Stars: 538
No, you're right.  Slade didn't try to move McKeown on, I worded that wrong.
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 68
KingstonMariner
November 19, 2020, 8:15pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from promotion plaice

Hurst's record at Shrewsbury wasn't too shoddy and that was a league above.

I was talking about town’s win percentage when we were one of the big boys in a lower league. It was what you’d expect. Hurst had a good year at Shrews granted.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 68
KingstonMariner
November 19, 2020, 8:22pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Kin ell

Does all this talk of Hurst remind you of the time that you were supposed to stick a hot dog in, erm, ‘a place like Scunthorpe’?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 68
promotion plaice
November 20, 2020, 10:36am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

Allegedly Hurst is now favourite for the Tranmere job.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.c.....manager-odds-4719095

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 68
November 20, 2020, 11:24am
Guest User
We won 3 drawn 3 and lost 4 in the league.

That's not form for replacing the manager.
Reply: 56 - 68
November 20, 2020, 11:44am
Guest User
Ipswich. was sacked in October 2018 after less than five months in charge – making him the shortest serving manager in the club's history. Won 1 drew 7 lost 7
Reply: 57 - 68
RonMariner
November 20, 2020, 11:46pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,671
Gold Stars: 226
He managed or co managed Boston, Town, Shrews, Ipswich and Scunthorpe. I don't think he is fondly remembered by fans at any of those clubs.  He did well at Shrewsbury but I don't think the fans were too impressed by the way he left them. He saved them from relegation though.

I think he put together a reasonable side here in 2015/16 and I don't think we would have flirted with relegation later had he stayed. However, I can't get over the fact that he let Amond go. Such a poor decision.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 68
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
November 21, 2020, 12:10am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,824
Gold Stars: 553
I miss Paul Hurst. He’d have kept us back four as taaaarrrt as t’drystone wall, I tell thee
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 68
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Would you have Paul Hurst back?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.