Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Would you have Paul Hurst back?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 241 Guests

Would you have Paul Hurst back as manager?
Yes
No
  View Results 176 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Would you have Paul Hurst back?

This thread currently has 11,692 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
arryarryarry
November 18, 2020, 4:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from ginnywings
Not for me. Hated his dour tactics and pointless substitutions on 70 mins. The only time it seemed to work was with the aforementioned Marcus Marshall, and he should have been on sooner, as we were making no headway whatsoever until he came on.

I'm amazed really that with all the experience Town fans have of the fact that changing managers doesn't cure anything, they still start calling for change if we aren't tearing up the league after a dozen games. The one thing the Hurst appointment showed us was that stability has more chance of paying off than constantly changing personnel.

Ollie is trying to change the ethos around the place with developing young players and a way of playing right through the age groups. He's made a massive commitment, personally and financially to our club, yet the usual suspects are calling for his head already. I don't think he's going anywhere, and neither should he.

Have some patience, and if we are still floundering at the wrong end of the table come Feb, then yeah, have a chunter then.

That's one argument and when we stuck with Woods look where that got us, non league and the loss of millions of pounds.

Certainly we shouldn't look to get rid at the moment but sticking with someone when it clearly isn't working with what he is trying to do is another disaster waiting to happen.

My opinion is he is trying to play to a style that may well work in the Premiership or Championship with good quality players but isn't working here at the moment because I don't think the players are good enough.

If performaces and results don't improve soon he is going to have to look at his style of play and try something different.

Going back to Neil Woods I and many others said at the time he clearly couldn't do the job even before he was given the job full time but the board ignored his failings and as I said it ended in disaster.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 68
rancido
November 18, 2020, 5:06pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,527
Gold Stars: 96
No way. He's long gone and part of the past. I really don't get this obsession with players and managers who have left by their own choice.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 68
Heswall Mariner
November 18, 2020, 5:13pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +583
Gold Stars: 30
No - stick with Olly.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 68
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 18, 2020, 6:10pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from arryarryarry

That's one argument and when we stuck with Woods look where that got us, non league and the loss of millions of pounds.

Certainly we shouldn't look to get rid at the moment but sticking with someone when it clearly isn't working with what he is trying to do is another disaster waiting to happen.

My opinion is he is trying to play to a style that may well work in the Premiership or Championship with good quality players but isn't working here at the moment because I don't think the players are good enough.

If performaces and results don't improve soon he is going to have to look at his style of play and try something different.

Going back to Neil Woods I and many others said at the time he clearly couldn't do the job even before he was given the job full time but the board ignored his failings and as I said it ended in disaster.

I think they are talented enough but not good enough! They are not battle hardened troops are they? They are not used to the cut and kick of L2, they are used to playing tidy little passing games at their previous or current clubs. I think we would all like to see a nice passing game but more that that we would like to see a nice winning game. How Ollie resolves this conundrum I do not know but shovelling in more and more untried young players and odd loanees who are miles from match fitness does not seem to be working. He should let several players go and try for just a couple of replacements who are good enough to make immediate impact.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 68
Mariner_501
November 18, 2020, 6:16pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +227
Gold Stars: 27
Was shocked about a third of people would have him back.

Did an average job with us. Took us up eventually then gave us a below average league 2 team, which to be fair is what we have now.

Performed a minor miracle at at Shrewsbury.

Still no for me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 68
November 19, 2020, 3:00am
Guest User
Too defensive tactically; mind-numbingly dull as an interviewee; let a 37-goals-the-previous-season striker walk away from the club; Parslow sub...so no for me.

Results-wise he was ok, but he's like a meal in a restaurant which is ok...you hope there's better on the menu.

We'd all swap any of our strikers* for Podge Amond right here and now wouldn't we?

* using the term somewhat loosely...
Reply: 45 - 68
Ashby mariner
November 19, 2020, 6:07am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +472
Gold Stars: 8
For me over the last 10 or 15 years I've always thought Holloway and Warnock where the best 2 managers about. I never ever thought that one of them would get the Town job. I think it's crying shame that we went all out to get Ian Holloway and then covid struck. We may never see what Ian could of done for us in a normal world. Has the affects financially may be about for a good while after we get a vaccine and things get to a near normal life again.
Going back to PH has u said on the worst manager thread no o e since Buckley has brought such a great team spo and togherness. Also attracted such a high quality of player. Having Omar, Podge, Toto, Tait ect in league 2 would be brilliant but to get them here while we where non league was great. I want Ian to be  successful, but if he isn't I'd be 100% behind getting Paul back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 68
aldi_01
November 19, 2020, 6:13am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Uninspiring interviews and often defensive? I’d take that at the minute.

All football fans seems to be obsessed with going back to someone who was a success, the bigger issue has to be why he was allowed to leave or felt he needed to in the first place. Contracts for the likes of Podge were an issue again, something was probably out of PH’s hands in some aspects.

Either way, it won’t happen and we’re stuck with Holloway so at least we get larger than life interviews and chaotic at times football. Will it come good? I hope so along with the rest, I just fear that Covid will be forever the excuse now...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 68
diehardmariner
November 19, 2020, 9:29am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,406
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from Boris Johnson
In terms of rapport with the Fans, Hurst was a disgrace, deserved everything he got.

The flip of that is that he consistently built a dressing rapport that couldn't be matched.  It's no secret that the team spirit was our best asset. He has to take credit for that.  Summer upon summer it was a rebuild effectively, yet we were always a united front.

That's got to be down to the consistency of a spine.  McKeown, Pearson and Disley.  Fair enough Disley was already ending his Indian summer and Pearson was deemed not good enough (which I disagree with) but Bignot and Slade both had attempts at removing all 3 from the scene.  Ultimately Slade succeeded with 2 of them.  I don't think we've ever really recovered from that, it ripped the heart out a little bit.

Buckley didn't have a great rapport with the fans either.  It was a love-hate relationship at times.  I guess the thing is you can be spiky with the fans but you have to back it up with results. Football fans have long memories.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 68
arryarryarry
November 19, 2020, 1:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from diehardmariner

The flip of that is that he consistently built a dressing rapport that couldn't be matched.  It's no secret that the team spirit was our best asset. He has to take credit for that.  Summer upon summer it was a rebuild effectively, yet we were always a united front.

That's got to be down to the consistency of a spine.  McKeown, Pearson and Disley.  Fair enough Disley was already ending his Indian summer and Pearson was deemed not good enough (which I disagree with) but Bignot and Slade both had attempts at removing all 3 from the scene.  Ultimately Slade succeeded with 2 of them.  I don't think we've ever really recovered from that, it ripped the heart out a little bit.

Buckley didn't have a great rapport with the fans either.  It was a love-hate relationship at times.  I guess the thing is you can be spiky with the fans but you have to back it up with results. Football fans have long memories.

I don't think in that context he was any different to most managers, I thought he fell out with a few players.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 68
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Would you have Paul Hurst back?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.