Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can't listen to Ollie.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 259 Guests

Can't listen to Ollie.

This thread currently has 11,313 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
BobbyCummingsTackle
October 28, 2020, 12:55pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,270
Gold Stars: 304
Quoted from diehardmariner

I personally don't think we're in enough danger of going down to have any real concerns.  We're mediocre enough to be lower mid-table in a plodding fashion.  

I don't think it was ever the intention then but I'm treating this season a bit like how the 2004/05 season panned out (Slade's first season).  A lot of prodding about, trying to find the right style and system.  Building something that resembled a spine and core before making some very key and crucial additions the following summer.  During that season we were capable of going from sublime to dreadful in the space of five minutes, largely a season of frustration.  My abiding memory is still the team getting booed off at half-time at home to Kidderminster because we were only 2-0 up!  

I also doubt the season will be completed but even if it is I can't really see all 72 Football League clubs lasting the course.  Rescue package or not, I think the 'worst' teams in the ladder will be saved by a few clubs going to the wall.  

I admire your optimism (and at the same time, your pessimism about teams going to the wall..) but we currently have 8 points from 9 games and sit 19th in the league. At that rate of points per game we'll just scrape over 40 points for the season. Statistically that should be enough for survival but leaves no wriggle room.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 77
lew chaterleys lover
October 28, 2020, 1:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
It is just our luck that we manage to attract a top manager and are hit with a pandemic, that throws all his plans out of the window.

When we are back to normal, and we can offer decent money and non-covid contracts then we will see a proper Holloway team, at least I am hoping we will.

All we can do is sit tight and take everything with a pinch of salt, including his post-match statements. He can hardly come out and say I would not have signed most of these players in normal times, can he?  
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 77
grimsby pete
October 28, 2020, 2:00pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Ipswin

Pete I wouldn't argue with much of what you have said but it all pre-supposes that the signings Holloway has made (young players and more experienced ones too) will be any good when they are all fit and all know each other and I am far from convinced that many of them are. No one wants to say so as Holloway is supposed to be such an excellent judge and spotter of talent but I'm afraid he has signed / loaned some duffers (hopefully they won't feature in the 'settled side' we are all dreaming about

I think you might be right about 3 or 4 of them but we have not seen them play yet Swin.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 77
forza ivano
October 28, 2020, 2:11pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,172
Gold Stars: 265

I admire your optimism (and at the same time, your pessimism about teams going to the wall..) but we currently have 8 points from 9 games and sit 19th in the league. At that rate of points per game we'll just scrape over 40 points for the season. Statistically that should be enough for survival but leaves no wriggle room.

Please see my thread 'a bit of perspective'
We've started badly on the back foot with a lack of pre season friendlies, training and personnel before getting  set back 2 weeks by the covid episode.
In addition  we had a terrible fun of fixtures which have pitched us week after week against teams in or around the top 7 positions.
It'll probably be fairer to judge us at Xmas, as we now have a number of games against mid table/lower teams, plus less Tuesday fixtures, which will give him time to work on things and get people fully fit
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 77
Ipswin
October 28, 2020, 2:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from grimsby pete

I think you might be right about 3 or 4 of them but we have not seen them play yet Swin.

I'm talking about some of the ones who have played Pete which makes it even more worrying. How bad are the ones he isn't picking?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 77
arryarryarry
October 28, 2020, 2:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from diehardmariner

I think this is the most sensible post regards the current situation I've seen in a while.

It's best to take this season as a very extended pre-season, ironic considering we're bemoaning the lack of an actual pre-season.

Our young lads and those coming up from non-league will get an extended period to bed in and adjust to life as a professional.  The raft of loan lads are effectively on trial to see if we go for signing them again on loan next season.

Can understand those getting frustrated with Holloway's soundbites but more so the constant changes. It's good to keep things fresh but it just feels a bit much.  Probably made worse by the fact that the experienced lads brought in don't appear to either be fit and/or up to it.  

I am sure someone will know but have we ever kept a young loan player in the following season.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 77
Hagrid
October 28, 2020, 2:47pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,392
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from arryarryarry

I am sure someone will know but have we ever kept a young loan player in the following season.

vernam, joe widdowson
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 77
Kris2
October 28, 2020, 3:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Hagrid

vernam, joe widdowson

Tbh the only reason we probably kept Widdowson was his special friendship with Akpra-Akpro. Even went to Rochdale together.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 77
Rodley Mariner
October 28, 2020, 3:41pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Who are the players signed who are 'clearly not good enough'? I would say Spokes, Jackson and Sisay have been signed with an eye on the future but beyond that I would argue nobody has shown they are clearly not good enough to play League 2. Some combinations haven't worked, Gibson looks raw, Bennett looked off the pace bit completely writing them off at this point in the season is ridiculous.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 77
BobbyCummingsTackle
October 28, 2020, 3:43pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,270
Gold Stars: 304
Quoted from Kris2

Tbh the only reason we probably kept Widdowson was his special friendship with Akpra-Akpro. Even went to Rochdale together.

"special friendship" is open to some interpretation...

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 77
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can't listen to Ollie.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.