Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can't listen to Ollie.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 309 Guests

Can't listen to Ollie.

This thread currently has 11,311 views. Print
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Croxton
October 27, 2020, 9:55pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Turned radio off half way through. The timewasting by the ball retrievers issue was his way if distracting JT from questions about his tactics and weak signings. Hanson clearly not ready to start so we lose Windsor's free role effectiveness. Throw ins and free kicks still 'garbage'. And he wants to talk balls about balls. Hanson , Rose, Scannell, Bennet Mohsni and Green look like goners.
If we are going to struggle, at least play the young 'uns who want to build a career rather than merely extend it. 'Fitness' should not have been allowed to dominate selection to this degree.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Hagrid
October 27, 2020, 9:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,387
Gold Stars: 532
Yeah rubbish interview. We didnt deserve a point, it was a woefully poor performance. And EVERY team wastes time when they are winning.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 77
MuddyWaters
October 27, 2020, 9:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Croxton
Turned radio off half way through. The timewasting by the ball retrievers issue was his way if distracting JT from questions about his tactics and weak signings. Hanson clearly not ready to start so we lose Windsor's free role effectiveness. Throw ins and free kicks still 'garbage'. And he wants to talk balls about balls. Hanson , Rose, Scannell, Bennet Mohsni and Green look like goners.
If we are going to struggle, at least play the young 'uns who want to build a career rather than merely extend it. 'Fitness' should not have been allowed to dominate selection to this degree.

Fed up of the BS and blaming lack of fitness. He signed the players that aren’t fit!
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 77
HertsGTFC
October 27, 2020, 10:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Croxton

I stopped listening to him post match a couple of weeks ago and if I’m honest pre match I’m not that interested.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 77
Chrisblor
October 27, 2020, 10:05pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,784
Gold Stars: 233
Tbf between all his ranting about the balls he does make some opaque references to some players underperforming, not doing what he wants and lacking belief in themselves. Think it's just the standard thing managers do after a bad performance where they'll highlight the good aspects (we had a lot of possession) while avoiding digging out the players directly to the media. I expect he'll be pulling them up on it in the dressing room and on the training ground though.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 77
Mariner_501
October 27, 2020, 10:05pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +227
Gold Stars: 27
As previously mentioned, as much as I’d love to be wrong, this is going to all end in tears. Talks a good game but not much else
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 77
HertsGTFC
October 27, 2020, 10:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Chrisblor
Tbf between all his ranting about the balls he does make some opaque references to some players underperforming, not doing what he wants and lacking belief in themselves. Think it's just the standard thing managers do after a bad performance where they'll highlight the good aspects (we had a lot of possession) while avoiding digging out the players directly to the media. I expect he'll be pulling them up on it in the dressing room and on the training ground though.

I’d have hoped so but I wonder if he’s actually got the time between training, travel, game schedule etc.

This is a squad that seems to need lots of 121 time with a lot of players either on their game, fitness, attitude or confidence. Can he do all that mentoring at the sane time as the “on the training ground” but?

It feels like he’s got a lot to do on his “to do” list.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 77
Swansea_Mariner
October 27, 2020, 10:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
Don't think it will all end in tears as there will definitely be two worse teams than us.

He's gone a different way in trying to solve our problem with all these loan players, it's not quite working yet but looking at some of the players he's signed I'm still hopeful.

What's the problem well it must be the budget, several managers have alluded to various budgetary issues over the year.

Frankly we are bottom division cannon fodder, we've not troubled the top half of division 4 in well over a decade  now, shamefull for this club quite frankly. Not all these managers over the last 15 years can be this shite.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 77
MuddyWaters
October 27, 2020, 10:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Chrisblor

I’d love to think you’re right but we’ve got a hell of a lot of players who are either unfit or incapable.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 77
Chrisblor
October 27, 2020, 10:28pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,784
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I’d love to think you’re right but we’ve got a hell of a lot of players who are either unfit or incapable.

Don't see the issue with having a big squad personally. There's a wage cap in effect so it's not like we're blowing out the budget Bignot style. I imagine a load of the ones signed from non league will be on relatively low wages anyway and Holloway has mentioned we're not paying very much towards a number of the loanees. The only thing that is getting on my nerves is him rotating players out of the starting 11 (or the matchday squad altogether) after they've played well. Don't think it's any coincidence that Hendrie, Waterfall and Pollock have been three of our better players in the last few matches, and that's because they've started every game!

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 77
MuddyWaters
October 27, 2020, 10:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Chrisblor

Don't see the issue with having a big squad personally. There's a wage cap in effect so it's not like we're blowing out the budget Bignot style. I imagine a load of the ones signed from non league will be on relatively low wages anyway and Holloway has mentioned we're not paying very much towards a number of the loanees. The only thing that is getting on my nerves is him rotating players out of the starting 11 (or the matchday squad altogether) after they've played well. Don't think it's any coincidence that Hendrie, Waterfall and Pollock have been three of our better players in the last few matches, and that's because they've started every game!

Probably because we’ve got fewer defensive options.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 77
chipsandgravy
October 27, 2020, 11:50pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,597
Gold Stars: 37
I doubt very much that he would resonate with half on this thread because it's the same every time we lose. Whilst I dont argue we were poor in the final third tonight I thought they never gave up, stopped FGR playing there normal game and pinned them back (there fans words)  for a large portion of the match. There young players and the only thing missing was confidence and belief once that  comes we will be fine.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 77
aldi_01
October 27, 2020, 11:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
To be fair I was fed up of listening to him before he was out manager.

He talks a lot but he doesn’t say a lot. The moment he spouted off about Fenty and being the best run club and all that should’ve been enough for anyone to realise this is his last chance so he took it.

The fitness excuse was wearing thin after 2 games, now it’s just becoming laughable. We’ve brought in players that aren’t good enough and in reality most thought that before a ball was kicked. Perhaps he was forced in to that but couple those players lacking ability with the constant need to chop and change (because of Lack fitness apparently) it makes it all very confusing.

Windsor was stifled tonight becauee players weren’t sure whether to lump up to sicknote, play in to feet or bypass him,  with him pulling a centre half or two out leaving a gap for Windsor.

We had probably 3 good performances which have to be given credit but I’d imagine the fact we’ve been so inconsistent says more than the wins do.

In flashes we look ok and knock it about well but we deserved nothing from tonight’s game and that’s not the first time this season.

In truth I don’t believe anyone fancies us to be anywhere above mid table, sole because they think Covid will see the end of clubs and ‘staying afloat, whatever division’ is their view or some becauee they’re just realistic about the quality of our squad and the club.

Covid or not I’m not convinced we’d have been any better than mid table.

Time will tell I guess and with games coming thick and fast it provides a chance to forget the bad results when they come and push on...we all want to be proven wrong but equally we have to be aware of the blatant shortcomings...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 77
promotion plaice
October 28, 2020, 12:03am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

Shame we didn't sign one of those above our level goal scorers that was melting his phone to come here, gutted.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 77
Boris Johnson
October 28, 2020, 12:14am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
He said the performance was magnificent........and that he was proud of the performance.  That maybe his way of trying to big up the players, and breed some confidence.

He'll be ok this season, but as ive mentioned 3 months into next season I think he will be gone, if we are not at the right end of the table.

He is a a very hard listen at times.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 77
jamesgtfc
October 28, 2020, 12:36am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,955
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I’d have hoped so but I wonder if he’s actually got the time between training, travel, game schedule etc.

This is a squad that seems to need lots of 121 time with a lot of players either on their game, fitness, attitude or confidence. Can he do all that mentoring at the sane time as the “on the training ground” but?

It feels like he’s got a lot to do on his “to do” list.

We trained on BP last week so they could all watch Coach Carter but he didn't get them on the grass until 13:15 on Monday because he had to hold 4 separate meetings about the FGR game to comply with Covid Regulations at Cheapside.

Make better use of your time and either train at BP or hold one meeting at BP and then travel to Cheapside for training.

A full team meeting will surely be much more effective than 4 meetings of 7 people?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 77
louth_in_the_south
October 28, 2020, 12:58am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,672
Gold Stars: 94
I haven’t bothered listening to Pre or post match interviews with our managers for years . They’re just cliched monologues wheeled out by one after another from the managers handbook to keep the local media and gullible fans happy . I make my own opinions from what I see on the pitch .
For what it’s worth I’d rather see him persist with these young lads who want to have a career and be successful rather than the old past  it “experienced “ players who don’t give that much of a f.uck from what I’ve seen so far .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 77
Humbercod
October 28, 2020, 6:52am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,494
Gold Stars: 82
I honestly don’t know what some people expect, the team is a mixture of inexperience and old journeyman pro’s coming to the end of their career, the club hasn’t got a pot to urine in so league survival was the aim, well that was clear to me. It was obvious at the start he couldn’t recruit the quality required and Ollie said as much. Its  going to be a bumpy ride but from what I’ve seen with a bit of luck with injuries etc, we could finish mid table, but I’d happily take our position now come the end of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 77
louth_in_the_south
October 28, 2020, 7:04am

Exile
Exactly HC . Some people have ridiculous expectations given the current circumstances ffs

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 77
thefish
October 28, 2020, 7:05am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,267
Gold Stars: 67
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
I haven’t bothered listening to Pre or post match interviews with our managers for years . They’re just cliched monologues wheeled out by one after another from the managers handbook to keep the local media and gullible fans happy . I make my own opinions from what I see on the pitch .
For what it’s worth I’d rather see him persist with these young lads who want to have a career and be successful rather than the old past  it “experienced “ players who don’t give that much of a f.uck from what I’ve seen so far .

You missed Jolley’s unorthodox interview style then?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 77
louth_in_the_south
October 28, 2020, 7:55am

Exile
What the oh I’m really angry one lol ?!!

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 77
GollyGTFC
October 28, 2020, 8:05am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from Croxton

Completely disagree.

You have to have very limited understanding of football to not realise this season the club has taken the decision to survive only. Both financially and in terms of EFL status. Whilst others have paid the usual wages despite having heavily restricted income we have been prudent signing experienced players who have had a difficult time recently or cheap, good quality loanees.

Given how infection and death rates are accelerating it is undoubtedly the correct thing to do. This season is going to get very, very messy with clubs being forced to shut down like Scunthorpe have been and we were.

Re: fitness, we had a short pre-season and then you add on the enforced shutdown of 2 weeks and of course we're going to be struggling for fitness, especially the older players and those who have had a knock or an injury too. The squad have to be managed properly and rotated. Harry Clifton was rested last night. Danny Preston will be probably be rested either Saturday or Tuesday. In a normal season where we're not playing every 3 or 4 days they would play every match given their form so far this season.

If anyone follows Town demanding success they probably want to sit this season out.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 21 - 77
pontoonlew
October 28, 2020, 8:13am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,997
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Completely disagree.

You have to have very limited understanding of football to not realise this season the club has taken the decision to survive only. Both financially and in terms of EFL status. Whilst others have paid the usual wages despite having heavily restricted income we have been prudent signing experienced players who have had a difficult time recently or cheap, good quality loanees.

Given how infection and death rates are accelerating it is undoubtedly the correct thing to do. This season is going to get very, very messy with clubs being forced to shut down like Scunthorpe have been and we were.

Re: fitness, we had a short pre-season and then you add on the enforced shutdown of 2 weeks and of course we're going to be struggling for fitness, especially the older players and those who have had a knock or an injury too. The squad have to be managed properly and rotated. Harry Clifton was rested last night. Danny Preston will be probably be rested either Saturday or Tuesday. In a normal season where we're not playing every 3 or 4 days they would play every match given their form so far this season.

If anyone follows Town demanding success they probably want to sit this season out.

It’s completely reasonable to say that this season is different and we should accept that. However, no other team in this league is making the wholesale changes we are and no other team had a shorter pre-season.

The virus has knocked everyone for six, but some of the issues we’re having are undoubtedly our own doing.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 77
oochiad
October 28, 2020, 9:02am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,716
Yawn yawn, same old moaning......without taking into consideration of the facts......your extremely tiresome. A voice of reason Golly GTFC....Look at FGRs recent results, they’re 3rd ffs! We made them look ordinary, yes we had no final third class but come on......If we don’t win it’s always the same.....pathetic. UTMM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 77
GollyGTFC
October 28, 2020, 9:17am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from pontoonlew

It’s completely reasonable to say that this season is different and we should accept that. However, no other team in this league is making the wholesale changes we are and no other team had a shorter pre-season.

The virus has knocked everyone for six, but some of the issues we’re having are undoubtedly our own doing.

I think we chose to hit the reset button though because of the current situation. In normal times we would have taken up contract options (Vernam etc..), offered new deals to existing out of contract players (Hessenthaler etc...), maybe offloaded players still under contract (Green etc...) and signed better quality players on higher wages.

I think the club decided that this season would be an opportunity to bring in a large number of inexperienced players and give them experience and a year to develop with the hope that normality would be restored for 2021/22, we could then sign some better quality players and then aim to be competitive at the top of League 2.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 24 - 77
pontoonlew
October 28, 2020, 9:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,997
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I think we chose to hit the reset button though because of the current situation. In normal times we would have taken up contract options (Vernam etc..), offered new deals to existing out of contract players (Hessenthaler etc...), maybe offloaded players still under contract (Green etc...) and signed better quality players on higher wages.

I think the club decided that this season would be an opportunity to bring in a large number of inexperienced players and give them experience and a year to develop with the hope that normality would be restored for 2021/22, we could then sign some better quality players and then aim to be competitive at the top of League 2.

Of which I totally agree with, it still doesn’t explain why we didn’t organise pre season games or why we’re rotating those players at an almost comical rate.

FWIW I thought we played okay last night, just toothless up front which happens to be the area of the pitch we rotate the most.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 77
Croxton
October 28, 2020, 9:30am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Completely disagree.

You have to have a very limited understanding of English to not realise that when I say ''if we are going to struggle'' that I understand the club's priorities this year. Far from 'demanding success', I appreciate that it will take time to develop a settled team with so much rotation and injuries.
Ollie is clearly disappointed with several of his signings'  fitness/ fragility/attitude and he is personally spooked by the threat of Covid. Having a passable understanding of football I can simultaneously support Ollie's quest for new talent and experience whilst being a critical friend re tactics and selection.
Don't read too much into posts. Things are rarely as binary as you make out. If you 'completely disagree' with my post then one assumes you think Hanson was the right pick for last night?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 77
TAGG
October 28, 2020, 9:45am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
When he first came he was a breath of fresh air and very positive and I like everyone else thought he was a great appointment.

Now he's just a moaning negative bull shitter.

Having said that we still have to back him and hope he builds something good.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 77
oochiad
October 28, 2020, 9:45am
Cocktail Drinker
We all know what Hanson can provide when fully fit. He needs game time so yes last night was a good pick to get game time into him....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 77
oochiad
October 28, 2020, 9:48am
Cocktail Drinker
He’s not a bull shitter, he’s deflecting criticism from his team to give them confidence and let’s face it everything he said happened last night, FGR have and always will be cheats......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 77
BobbyCummingsTackle
October 28, 2020, 10:25am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,265
Gold Stars: 295
One thing that's not been considered is that Ollie is targeting games.......he's rotating the team and looking for his best options against the teams at the top of the table and is prepared to lose those games so that we have the right eleven when we play teams in the bottom half where we reasonably can expect to pick up points.

I don't know if he's doing this but it's standard practice at a lot of clubs to set points targets for games based on what your overall target for the season is.

Maybe 0 points against FGR is a good result if we get 3 against Stevenage.

I don't like it, but I can live with it.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 77
KingstonMariner
October 28, 2020, 10:26am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
To Golly and others, the situation the whole country is in places understandable constraints on the club’s budget. We all accept that. The part we don’t get is why we didn’t have a proper pre-season.

I think Croxton’s hit the nail on the head with the phrase ‘critical friend’.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 77
diehardmariner
October 28, 2020, 10:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,578
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I think this is the most sensible post regards the current situation I've seen in a while.

It's best to take this season as a very extended pre-season, ironic considering we're bemoaning the lack of an actual pre-season.

Our young lads and those coming up from non-league will get an extended period to bed in and adjust to life as a professional.  The raft of loan lads are effectively on trial to see if we go for signing them again on loan next season.

Can understand those getting frustrated with Holloway's soundbites but more so the constant changes. It's good to keep things fresh but it just feels a bit much.  Probably made worse by the fact that the experienced lads brought in don't appear to either be fit and/or up to it.  
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 77
BobbyCummingsTackle
October 28, 2020, 10:29am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner

I think this is the most sensible post regards the current situation I've seen in a while.

It's best to take this season as a very extended pre-season, ironic considering we're bemoaning the lack of an actual pre-season.

Our young lads and those coming up from non-league will get an extended period to bed in and adjust to life as a professional.  The raft of loan lads are effectively on trial to see if we go for signing them again on loan next season.

Can understand those getting frustrated with Holloway's soundbites but more so the constant changes. It's good to keep things fresh but it just feels a bit much.  Probably made worse by the fact that the experienced lads brought in don't appear to either be fit and/or up to it.  

Hmmm....I take your point but the only flaw in your suggestion is that you're not in danger of relegation at the end of pre season.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 77
Ipswin
October 28, 2020, 10:52am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from oochiad
FGR have and always will be cheats......

Well I suppose when Holloway has run out of excuses and for once he can't blame the referee then something as pathetic as this will have to do - embarrassing really

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 77
diehardmariner
October 28, 2020, 11:51am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,578
Gold Stars: 537

Hmmm....I take your point but the only flaw in your suggestion is that you're not in danger of relegation at the end of pre season.

I personally don't think we're in enough danger of going down to have any real concerns.  We're mediocre enough to be lower mid-table in a plodding fashion.  

I don't think it was ever the intention then but I'm treating this season a bit like how the 2004/05 season panned out (Slade's first season).  A lot of prodding about, trying to find the right style and system.  Building something that resembled a spine and core before making some very key and crucial additions the following summer.  During that season we were capable of going from sublime to dreadful in the space of five minutes, largely a season of frustration.  My abiding memory is still the team getting booed off at half-time at home to Kidderminster because we were only 2-0 up!  

I also doubt the season will be completed but even if it is I can't really see all 72 Football League clubs lasting the course.  Rescue package or not, I think the 'worst' teams in the ladder will be saved by a few clubs going to the wall.  
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 77
grimsby pete
October 28, 2020, 12:13pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,793
Gold Stars: 222
Forget the Salford game which was a farce 3 pens !!

We have played 3 of the top 4 and won drawn and lost one by a single goal.

We have also dropped 3 points when Macca  gave the opposition 2 goals.

OK we have not played well in some of the games but that is to be expected when you have so many young players and lots of new signings still getting to know each other.

Once we get everybody fit which should be soon and a settled side we will be comfortable in mid table or just above.

Promotion will have to wait for another year but we are used to that.

Losing 1-0 to a team in the top three is not the end of the world and some of the comments on here are completely over the top.

Keep the faith.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 77
Vance Warner
October 28, 2020, 12:19pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,786
Gold Stars: 102
Worth remembering where we were a year ago under Jolley. At that point we’d struggle to string more than a couple of passes together each half. Despite the mixed results I’m enjoying watching us be braver in possession. Most of the time we are moving the ball quickly and with purpose. I understand the frustration with going back to the keeper but on the whole we are moving it well and passing forward through the lines as much as possible. It breaks down a bit in the final 3rd but we get into lots of good positions and just lack the right decisions or quality. What does concern me is that if it is to be a season of transition we are heavily reliant on loan signings who won’t be here next year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 77
Ipswin
October 28, 2020, 12:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete
Forget the Salford game which was a farce 3 pens !!

We have played 3 of the top 4 and won drawn and lost one by a single goal.

We have also dropped 3 points when Macca  gave the opposition 2 goals.

OK we have not played well in some of the games but that is to be expected when you have so many young players and lots of new signings still getting to know each other.

Once we get everybody fit which should be soon and a settled side we will be comfortable in mid table or just above.

Promotion will have to wait for another year but we are used to that.

Losing 1-0 to a team in the top three is not the end of the world and some of the comments on here are completely over the top.

Keep the faith.

Pete I wouldn't argue with much of what you have said but it all pre-supposes that the signings Holloway has made (young players and more experienced ones too) will be any good when they are all fit and all know each other and I am far from convinced that many of them are. No one wants to say so as Holloway is supposed to be such an excellent judge and spotter of talent but I'm afraid he has signed / loaned some duffers (hopefully they won't feature in the 'settled side' we are all dreaming about

Private Message
Reply: 38 - 77
aldi_01
October 28, 2020, 12:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Haven’t we been having a season like Slades first season since PH walked out the door?

I’m not sure the discussion in this thread was ever really to discuss the pros and cons of penny pinching/being economically astute during the most peculiar of times but more about Holloway and the constant hyperbole that comes out of his mouth.

Be it management cliche or just ‘passion’, his post match comments last night just make him sound and look a fool. We barely laid a glove on FGR, highlighting ball boys and the likes is just ridiculous. Surely a man of his so called ability and experience would prefer to be honest and just come out and say ‘we got it wrong, they’re a good side. We tried something and it didn’t work etc’.

Instead there were thinly veiled digs at players, swipes at ball boys and then some waffle really.

We can bemoan the lack of pre season, we can discuss whether just existing and having a club to support is more important than even attempting to be competitive. We can keep saying that there’s likely two teams worse than us (we’ve heard that before, turned out well for us) but let’s face it, Covid or no Covid, that would be the narrative trotted out regardless. It’s the narrative from the club and fans either lap it up or push against, those that push against are seemingly wrong or have expectations above our station so to speak (I mean this isn’t true. Many of the fans pushing back were and have always been realistic about our level).

Holloway’s appointment was handy for all parties. We needed a manager and had tried and failed with two unknowns, Fenty needed to claw back some support, Holloway was out of work and wanted one last go after his poor attempt at millwall...win win.

We’ve brought in players that aren’t good enough, we’ve brought in players who are young and hungry and then we’ve got the likes of Hanson left. I understand balancing that is tricky but as someone has suggested, may be he’s picking games and realising some we’ll win and some we’ll lose, that’s ok but what happens when we don’t win the ones he believes he will? Then what? Football, as we’ve seen time and time again isn’t an exact science...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 77
BobbyCummingsTackle
October 28, 2020, 12:55pm
Champagne Drinker

I personally don't think we're in enough danger of going down to have any real concerns.  We're mediocre enough to be lower mid-table in a plodding fashion.  

I don't think it was ever the intention then but I'm treating this season a bit like how the 2004/05 season panned out (Slade's first season).  A lot of prodding about, trying to find the right style and system.  Building something that resembled a spine and core before making some very key and crucial additions the following summer.  During that season we were capable of going from sublime to dreadful in the space of five minutes, largely a season of frustration.  My abiding memory is still the team getting booed off at half-time at home to Kidderminster because we were only 2-0 up!  

I also doubt the season will be completed but even if it is I can't really see all 72 Football League clubs lasting the course.  Rescue package or not, I think the 'worst' teams in the ladder will be saved by a few clubs going to the wall.  

I admire your optimism (and at the same time, your pessimism about teams going to the wall..) but we currently have 8 points from 9 games and sit 19th in the league. At that rate of points per game we'll just scrape over 40 points for the season. Statistically that should be enough for survival but leaves no wriggle room.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 77
lew chaterleys lover
October 28, 2020, 1:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
It is just our luck that we manage to attract a top manager and are hit with a pandemic, that throws all his plans out of the window.

When we are back to normal, and we can offer decent money and non-covid contracts then we will see a proper Holloway team, at least I am hoping we will.

All we can do is sit tight and take everything with a pinch of salt, including his post-match statements. He can hardly come out and say I would not have signed most of these players in normal times, can he?  
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 77
grimsby pete
October 28, 2020, 2:00pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,793
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Ipswin

Pete I wouldn't argue with much of what you have said but it all pre-supposes that the signings Holloway has made (young players and more experienced ones too) will be any good when they are all fit and all know each other and I am far from convinced that many of them are. No one wants to say so as Holloway is supposed to be such an excellent judge and spotter of talent but I'm afraid he has signed / loaned some duffers (hopefully they won't feature in the 'settled side' we are all dreaming about

I think you might be right about 3 or 4 of them but we have not seen them play yet Swin.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 77
forza ivano
October 28, 2020, 2:11pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,167
Gold Stars: 265

I admire your optimism (and at the same time, your pessimism about teams going to the wall..) but we currently have 8 points from 9 games and sit 19th in the league. At that rate of points per game we'll just scrape over 40 points for the season. Statistically that should be enough for survival but leaves no wriggle room.

Please see my thread 'a bit of perspective'
We've started badly on the back foot with a lack of pre season friendlies, training and personnel before getting  set back 2 weeks by the covid episode.
In addition  we had a terrible fun of fixtures which have pitched us week after week against teams in or around the top 7 positions.
It'll probably be fairer to judge us at Xmas, as we now have a number of games against mid table/lower teams, plus less Tuesday fixtures, which will give him time to work on things and get people fully fit
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 77
Ipswin
October 28, 2020, 2:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

I think you might be right about 3 or 4 of them but we have not seen them play yet Swin.

I'm talking about some of the ones who have played Pete which makes it even more worrying. How bad are the ones he isn't picking?

Private Message
Reply: 44 - 77
arryarryarry
October 28, 2020, 2:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116

I am sure someone will know but have we ever kept a young loan player in the following season.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 77
Hagrid
October 28, 2020, 2:47pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

I am sure someone will know but have we ever kept a young loan player in the following season.

vernam, joe widdowson
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 77
Kris2
October 28, 2020, 3:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Hagrid

vernam, joe widdowson

Tbh the only reason we probably kept Widdowson was his special friendship with Akpra-Akpro. Even went to Rochdale together.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 77
Rodley Mariner
October 28, 2020, 3:41pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
Who are the players signed who are 'clearly not good enough'? I would say Spokes, Jackson and Sisay have been signed with an eye on the future but beyond that I would argue nobody has shown they are clearly not good enough to play League 2. Some combinations haven't worked, Gibson looks raw, Bennett looked off the pace bit completely writing them off at this point in the season is ridiculous.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 77
BobbyCummingsTackle
October 28, 2020, 3:43pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Kris2

Tbh the only reason we probably kept Widdowson was his special friendship with Akpra-Akpro. Even went to Rochdale together.

"special friendship" is open to some interpretation...

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 77
jonnyboy82
October 28, 2020, 3:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Were is Jackson jr?

Scoring in the reserves but doesn't get a sniff, strange considering.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 77
Hagrid
October 28, 2020, 4:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Kris2

i feel like i need to know more, ive not heard this before
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 77
forza ivano
October 28, 2020, 5:02pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,167
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Hagrid

i feel like i need to know more, ive not heard this before

Think they shared a flat in Cleethorpes together
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 77
arryarryarry
October 28, 2020, 9:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Hagrid

vernam, joe widdowson

So lots of times then....
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 77
ska face
October 28, 2020, 10:58pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,643
Gold Stars: 840
The way some people go on it’s as if the team who win the league this year will have done so by mistake. I must’ve missed how every other club miraculously avoided the impact of COVID and we’re the only ones who have caught the bad end of the stick with it.

From being the best run club in the division, capable of surviving a year without any fans coming through the door, it’s now suddenly beyond the pale to expect a better show than 2 wins in 9, and everyone should be grateful we haven’t gone out of business.

Same low expectations and lack of ambition every season, seeping down from the boardroom through the fan base now.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 77
KingstonMariner
October 29, 2020, 8:23am
Meths Drinker

"special friendship" is open to some interpretation...

Oh, is that why we keep getting shafted by the Yanks!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 77
chipsandgravy
October 29, 2020, 11:49am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,597
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from ska face
The way some people go on it’s as if the team who win the league this year will have done so by mistake. I must’ve missed how every other club miraculously avoided the impact of COVID and we’re the only ones who have caught the bad end of the stick with it.

From being the best run club in the division, capable of surviving a year without any fans coming through the door, it’s now suddenly beyond the pale to expect a better show than 2 wins in 9, and everyone should be grateful we haven’t gone out of business.

Same low expectations and lack of ambition every season, seeping down from the boardroom through the fan base now.

For all my might I want to argue your point. But I fear there is a harsh truth about your some of your points. Long way to go yet though.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 77
Henryscat
October 29, 2020, 12:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,395
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Who are the players signed who are 'clearly not good enough'? I would say Spokes, Jackson and Sisay have been signed with an eye on the future but beyond that I would argue nobody has shown they are clearly not good enough to play League 2. Some combinations haven't worked, Gibson looks raw, Bennett looked off the pace bit completely writing them off at this point in the season is ridiculous.

I’m not one for singling people out but I think at least one of the younger loanees need to add a lot to their game to become L2 standard.

Panic on the streets of Carlisle, Dublin, Dundee, Humberside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 77
The Yard Dog
October 29, 2020, 2:12pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,473
Gold Stars: 74
Big spending Mansfield and season favorites Bolton are tearing up the league, hang on just looked at the league table.
Just looked at the league for the season 2018/19, Bury finished second and Macclesfield 22nd, no longer in existence.

Judging after a few games, means nothing, I remember people moaning last season after we draw 2-2 with Colchester who at the time, were 2nd from bottom, look were they finished the season.

They is a fine line between success and failure, even more so this season.

We this season are playing the surival game and this has been stated by the club, while others may not.

The whole logisitcs of running a football club, during Covid-19 must be a nightmare for everyone involved.

"I Counted Them All Out and I Counted Them All Back" by Brian Hanrahan on the reporting of operations during the Falklands War in 1982.

Hopefully all football clubs will survive, but I am not sure, how many can, without fans returning. Which looks unlike.

Have a look at the final standings at the end of the season and if Grimsby Town are placed in a position, its been a good season.

UTMM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 77
BobbyCummingsTackle
October 29, 2020, 2:19pm
Champagne Drinker
I've read your post twice and still don't get the Brian Hanrahan reference.

Are you posting on the Fishy and simultaneously posting on a chatroom about 80s TV history and got the 2 mixed up?

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 77
ska face
October 29, 2020, 3:25pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,643
Gold Stars: 840
Quoted from The Yard Dog

We this season are playing the surival game and this has been stated by the club,

Where?
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 77
Croxton
October 29, 2020, 3:51pm
Cocktail Drinker

Are you posting on the Fishy and simultaneously posting on a chatroom about 80s TV history and got the 2 mixed up?

Most of us oldies will recall that live broadcast with a lump in the throat. Bit like 'they think it's all over' and Denis Law's yellow card defence, ''I called him an old coot sir''.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 77
The Yard Dog
October 29, 2020, 4:43pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,473
Gold Stars: 74

Basically we started the season with 72 EFL clubs and come the end of the season hopefully we end with 72 clubs, having lost none.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 77
BobbyCummingsTackle
October 29, 2020, 5:42pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Croxton

Most of us oldies will recall that live broadcast with a lump in the throat. Bit like 'they think it's all over' and Denis Law's yellow card defence, ''I called him an old coot sir''.

I'm far too young.....*cough*

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 77
BobbyCummingsTackle
October 29, 2020, 5:44pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from The Yard Dog

Basically we started the season with 72 EFL clubs and come the end of the season hopefully we end with 72 clubs, having lost none.

Got you  

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 77
KingstonMariner
October 29, 2020, 7:31pm
Meths Drinker
I wondered that BCT. The only connection with Town I can think of is that it’s difficult to say Brian H’s name and the name of our famous manager from the early 70s.

Or maybe it’s about Grimsby Harriers.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 77
October 30, 2020, 7:55am
Guest User
I’m trying to work out the logic of using a lack of match fitness as an excuse and then rotating the squad constantly.  Surely the way to achieve match fitness is to play matches?  Teams at this level, well the successful ones at least, play their best players to a system they understand, it doesn’t need to be anymore complicated than that.

The present circumstances are unique, obviously, but as ever there are the same old teams playing the long shot of gambling with money they don’t have.  We haven’t and I doubt we ever will while the vast bulk of potential loss rests on one persons shoulders.  I’d like to think that there would be reward other than survival for our cautious approach and severe penalties for those more cavalier...... but there won’t be.  We’ll survive as a club and probably retain league status, however, the gamblers will probably benefit from a bailout which makes you question what is/was the right approach.  

Fans want success, one individual wants his money back, unless that gap is bridged a future of mediocrity is as good as it gets.  Let’s be brutally honest, the club, or at least the dictator in the shadows, hasn’t got a plan other than:-

1. Survive without investment
2. Get lucky with a transfer fee
3. Have a decent cup run
4. If 2 or 3 happen, recover loan

Sad really for all those who spend money unconditionally
Reply: 66 - 77
aldi_01
October 30, 2020, 9:31am

Barley Wine Drinker
I’m entirely sure fans want success, more to see the club just moving forward and a plan to do that. That is likely to bring some success but I really don’t think it’s just about fans wanting to get promoted or whatever.

Our youth system clearly has some positives but the investment in it must limit what they can achieve and do. Our commercial department is somewhat draconian, the ticketing process, the contempt in which fans have been held and so on.

Some progress from that would go a long way. It’s not just about throwing thousands at a squad to may be get promoted but investment and ideas across the board to at least put the club in a progressive state of mind.

Instead what we’re left with is an acceptance from the top which filters down in to the fans of just accepting we exist. Being happy to just be there. Accepting that there’s lack of development in any aspect of the club but it’s ok, at least there’s still a club. At what cost one might add.

Naturally the pro Fenty folk among our fans will say it could be worse whilst pointing at clubs that have gone but the way side, ignoring that their issues go beyond simply having a dodgy owner. The Fenty out brigade are sometimes ridiculed for ‘not being realistic’ or accused of having expectations way beyond what is possible, again, something which isn’t true. Is it so wrong to want to see my club invest in its training facilities or youth system rather than being proud of a new portacabin?

We’ve an owner that clearly doesn’t want to invest, that’s his choice, an owner that has taken money out yet hasn’t used it as payment against benign loans he has. A claim that he desperately wants to sell the club but the one serious opportunity he found ways to knock it back, making accusations and public comments, ironically, failing to demonstrate himself how he could help the club remain stable in its hour of need...

Then we have holloway, a name, a relative success in the game and someone who could help drive the team forward. He has a lot to say for himself, some makes sense, some is complete jibberish. Will he be a success? Who knows, we all want it to work but in reality it’s probably unlikely, in 30 years we’ve had 2 managers that have built year on year and had eventual success...

Personally I haven’t listened to pre or post match managerial comments for years. They offer little insight in truth and as this post has proven, cause great discussion about absolutely nothing. The fact is, our team is so inconsistent, there is a possibility of being a half decent side but excuse after excuse and chopping and changing is impacting that...hopefully it gets sorted; in the mean time, we’ll have fans saying it’s ok, we’re still here. We have fans wanting the season cancelled and there are fans that just want football to continue and will support their team (although some fans get arsey at this if it’s not super positive support all the time).

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 77
KingstonMariner
October 30, 2020, 11:35am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from 139914
I’m trying to work out the logic of using a lack of match fitness as an excuse and then rotating the squad constantly.  Surely the way to achieve match fitness is to play matches?  Teams at this level, well the successful ones at least, play their best players to a system they understand, it doesn’t need to be anymore complicated than that.

The present circumstances are unique, obviously, but as ever there are the same old teams playing the long shot of gambling with money they don’t have.  We haven’t and I doubt we ever will while the vast bulk of potential loss rests on one persons shoulders.  I’d like to think that there would be reward other than survival for our cautious approach and severe penalties for those more cavalier...... but there won’t be.  We’ll survive as a club and probably retain league status, however, the gamblers will probably benefit from a bailout which makes you question what is/was the right approach.  

Fans want success, one individual wants his money back, unless that gap is bridged a future of mediocrity is as good as it gets.  Let’s be brutally honest, the club, or at least the dictator in the shadows, hasn’t got a plan other than:-

3. Have a decent cup run

Don’t disagree with most of what you said.

With the fitness aspect, players need to be brought up to match fitness in stages otherwise they risk injury*. Also playing at a high level (and by that I mean professional level of sport) the fitness demands are such that decent recovery time is needed. These guys are competing much closer to their physical potential than amateurs do, so even if they don’t have a ‘day job’ they need rest.

* as a trivial example, I dug out my bike in the summer and started using it more for exercise. If I push it too much I start to get muscle strain which means I might not be able to get back on it for a while thus defeating the object. I cycle to the pool and take a long round trip to get there and back. At first it was bloody knackering even though I had the cardiovascular fitness for the swim before. Took me a while to get used to it. When I did, I started pushing myself going further and faster, and more often. Result - laid up for days with no energy. I had to rotate the squad and send the wife out to exercise for me 😉

Obviously begs the question why we didn’t have a proper pre-season.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 77
lew chaterleys lover
October 30, 2020, 11:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from 139914

3. Have a decent cup run

I think your points 1-4 just about sums up the present situation, but what intrigues me the most is how the club was sold to Ollie?

He certainly would not have come if he was told the 1-4 points would he? So presumably he and Fenty would have discussed how to get out of the cycle you describe.

Once this incredible season is out of the way, what is the plan hatched between the owner and the manager/director? My best bet is that Ollie hopes to raise enough money in transfer fees to allow the loans to be paid back, allowing a clean start hopefully with fresh investment.

Ollie was quite adamant he wanted to leave a legacy; he was determined to take us to a better league placing in the pyramid and although that seems a long way off at the moment, we have to believe he can pull it off or points 1-4 will be on an endless loop.  
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 77
aldi_01
October 30, 2020, 12:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Perhaps the club as such wasn’t sold Holloway. Let’s not forget, he did say that he thought Fenty knew what he was talking about the club is one of the best run clubs...surely even Holloway can see that’s just hyperbole and nonsense.

Holloway wanted to be back in the game after pretty much a disaster at Millwall...we provided that. What boggles my head was the need to put in 100k unless that was simply to provide him and the club some weird sense of security. I guess we’ll never really know though.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 77
pen penfras
October 30, 2020, 2:57pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from aldi_01
Perhaps the club as such wasn’t sold Holloway. Let’s not forget, he did say that he thought Fenty knew what he was talking about the club is one of the best run clubs...surely even Holloway can see that’s just hyperbole and nonsense.

Holloway wanted to be back in the game after pretty much a disaster at Millwall...we provided that. What boggles my head was the need to put in 100k unless that was simply to provide him and the club some weird sense of security. I guess we’ll never really know though.

It may seem crazy to you, but maybe Holloway actually agrees with trying to run a football club sustainably. However bad he was in his last job, he has achieved enough in football that he didn't need to come to Grimsby Town to build a reputation, and he could have got a lot of jobs at a higher level. We should be grateful that he's here, not cynically questioning his motives.

I think that Holloway is actually on the same wavelength of how to run a club and thinks that if he can bring some success and money into the club then he can help direct how to spend it to take the club forwards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 77
TAGG
October 30, 2020, 3:46pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
Ollie and the Met  

https://fb.watch/1rXs2GMDws/

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 77
Dogger Bank
October 31, 2020, 5:29pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +161
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Don't think it will all end in tears as there will definitely be two worse teams than us.

He's gone a different way in trying to solve our problem with all these loan players, it's not quite working yet but looking at some of the players he's signed I'm still hopeful.

What's the problem well it must be the budget, several managers have alluded to various budgetary issues over the year.

Frankly we are bottom division cannon fodder, we've not troubled the top half of division 4 in well over a decade  now, shamefull for this club quite frankly. Not all these managers over the last 15 years can be this shite.

This ^ My personal feeling is we're lucky to have Holloway. There is something that is engrained in the club that has made it stale and it isn't hard to work out. Coronavirus hasn't helped anybody at the present moment but I always thought it would take IH a couple of seasons at least to get us going....and I believe he will with the right backing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 77
Ipswin
October 31, 2020, 6:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Dogger Bank

I always thought it would take IH a couple of seasons at least to get us going....and I believe he will with the right backing.

I don't think he will stick it for a couple of seasons

Private Message
Reply: 74 - 77
dapperz fun pub
October 31, 2020, 8:03pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Ipswin

I don't think he will stick it for a couple of seasons

Normally I’d agree but he’s put a few Bob in so may last slightly longer before it blows up
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 77
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
October 31, 2020, 9:04pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +838
Gold Stars: 117
Nothing to stop him resigning as the Manager but staying on as a member of the Board, or even as a Director of Football
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 77
KingstonMariner
October 31, 2020, 9:04pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Normally I’d agree but he’s put a few Bob in so may last slightly longer before it blows up

I don’t think he cares that much about money. Strikes me if he’s unhappy or feels he’s banging his head against a brick wall, he’s the sort of person to change his situation.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 77
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can't listen to Ollie.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.