Mighty_Mariner
May 21, 2020, 11:56pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from promotion plaice

Alleged racist abuse to a Northampton player.......

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/ne.....iation-1587141762000

Thanks PP - must have missed that completely!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 51
Mighty_Mariner
May 21, 2020, 11:57pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from thefish

Here you go...

[url]https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52331726[/url]

Thank you 👍

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 51
Tommy
May 22, 2020, 12:36am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Would have probably been expensive to pay Green off. If, and it’s a big if, we get an idea of when the club can start getting revenue in again and it’s sooner rather than later, then there’s one or two who I suspect we’ll see again.

....not to mention Green would have to agree to it.

A lot of people talking about paying players off as if we just give them a pay off and send them packing. It isn't as simple as that. It has to be an agreement with club and player. And which player is going to agree to make themselves unemployed in the current climate???

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 51
arryarryarry
May 22, 2020, 1:04am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
Looking at the wages of the, as of yesterday, current players via the medium of Football Manager, which yes I know it is just a game but a lot of research goes into the facts and figures for each team, Whitehouse and Hess were 2 of the highest earners at the club.

So whichever way you look at the situation with Whitehouse, either being the highest earner, or having a potential ban hanging over him, I can see no other option for Ollie to release him.

Hess was a players player but he deserves to play at a higher level. He will be missed.

It would be interesting to see how much wage bill has been cut and how much will be made available for a few choice new faces.

Let's just hope Ollie has an influx of good players asking him if they can play for him for smaller wages.

May have been down to his injury but I don't think Whitehouse really played as well as some on here were suggesting when we signed him. I never really expected him to be re-signed.

With regard to Hess, as some have mentioned he was a very steady player but for a midfielder I don't think he was very creative or looked like he would add much to our goals tally and I thought we did OK  when he was out injured. Anyway as some have said he may well have been looking to go back south.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 51
Theimperialcoroner
May 22, 2020, 2:05am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,206
Gold Stars: 102
Hess was a bit of a poor mans Stacey Caldicott. You also knew he was never ever going to score.

Top pro and such a hard worker, but as mentioned, if we are looking at promotion, we need a bit more than that. If we are happy with 16th, then he'd be one of the first on the teamsheet.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 51
monkeyboy
May 22, 2020, 7:48am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
I know i was red crossed to death for my comments on Green but really does he offer anything to the team? i will still support the team through and through if hes in it or not.

Hess was a 100% player but there is better and probably cheaper.
Whitehouse was a big let down for me, first season injured then second season a let down.

Hope Wright stays but will be a make or break season for him, hope he does as hes honest nice lad that has that something extra.

Vernam - easily our best attacking player on his day that if Olly can get him consistant surely a move back up the leagues for ggod money will be on the cards.

Garmston - probably wants to be somewere more local to him, looked ok when he played. who will do fifa now?

Strange how they call Buckley back but it gave them chance to asses him and shame he didnt make the grade. Clee town awaits

Cardwell - hope he got another trade lined up.

Rose - suspect he will go to conference 2 level and do well , hope so anyway.

Time to concentrate on our local area players as there is plenty of talent there
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 51
HarrogateMariner
May 22, 2020, 9:20am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +479
Gold Stars: 23
I think from listening to what Holloway has said in interviews we will see at least Hope, Idehen and Starbuck offered deals from the youth team. Add these to Battersby, Pollock, Curran, Clifton and hopefully Wright and we have a good group of youth team graduates in the first team. Out of all the negatives from the past couple of months we might see something special and a base to build on for the future- I would imagine Holloway would be brilliant for these young players and could really progress them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 51
diehardmariner
May 22, 2020, 9:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,610
Gold Stars: 538
I wasn't aware that Hessenthaler was after a move back down south.  In which case you can't argue anything, that's just what it is.  Really liked the lad, thought he was our best player over the last two years and wish him well.

I think he'll be difficult to replace as a holding midfielder type but Benson came in and showed he can offer more attacking intent from that position.  Whereas Hess would intercept the play and give it to someone else, Benson would look to start an attack from that position.   Not saying we'll get Benson on another loan deal but it set the standard of what we need to aspire towards and probably Holloway's game plan.

Rose is the only other one who seems to have split opinions.  Very harsh on the lad but he looks to have gone backwards in the last 6-9 months.  No doubting his athletic ability but his footballing know-how was very immature in my eyes, never quite seemed to know where to stand or when to move.  Fact he seemed to be made of glass can't have gone in his favour either.

Private Message
Reply: 47 - 51
ginnywings
May 22, 2020, 12:10pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,125
Gold Stars: 548
It's clearly a case of all those that could be released have been, to get the running costs down as much as possible. I'm sure there are some we would have liked to have kept and some on contract we would have liked to release, but it is what it is. There will be plenty of players to choose from once we get up and running again, and those teams that best get through the current times will be the ones in prime position to acquire them.

A lot of players will be lost to the game sadly, but then many people in all walks of life will have to reassess their options.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 51
Heswall Mariner
May 22, 2020, 1:09pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +590
Gold Stars: 30
Matt Green won't be going anywhere - no one will be offering him (or anyone else) a contract anywhere near the package I imagine he's on here for the next twelve months.
Unfortunately to merely survive through to whatever comes next I can see we had to release Hess & co.
I imagine the scenario with the options on Vernam, Wright & Clarke is to offer extensions on reduced terms & conditions.
Just hope we & others can come through this & have some footy to look forward to next season.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 51
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Retained List

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.