4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
thefish
February 19, 2020, 9:44am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,267
Gold Stars: 67
After last night’s win at home to Dover, Barrow are sat 7 points clear at the top of the National League.

This video tells the story of this season, explains the tactics Ian Evatt uses, but most interestingly explains that Evatt was inspired by our very own Ian!

[url]https://youtu.be/yjJkv2ZsiJ4[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
always grimsby
February 19, 2020, 9:59am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +273
Gold Stars: 7
That was an excellent piece
Good luck to Barrow it looks like a weekend in the lakes next season !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 38
Heisenberg
February 19, 2020, 10:39am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,759
Gold Stars: 89
That was really good, that.  Interesting about the tactics.  No wonder some on here were suggesting Evatt as a candidate for our new manager not long ago.  I remember him from playing for Blackpool, but didn't realise he was in IH's team.

Barrow in the Football League - that would be astonishing really.  I've googled their ground and it has all of 1,000 seats and is currently not up to scratch according to EFL rules, although it sounds like they'll get around that.

If they make it, it sounds like it'll be deserved.  I do notice though, that the conference is definitely missing a dominant team this year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 38
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 19, 2020, 10:50am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I remember they were voted out of the FL in 1972 and Hereford were voted in. This was very unfair and based purely on the selfish geography by clubs who did not like travelling all the way to Barrow.

We poached their manager Don McEvoy in 1967 after he had taken Barrow up to the old 3rd Div but it never worked out at BP and we went into freefall until McMenemy came.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 38
cannylad68
February 19, 2020, 11:03am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
I remember seeing Don McEvoy playing for a Grimsby Town X1 against a Showbiz X1, (may have included Des O'Conner and Craig Douglas), one Sunday afternoon at King George stadium.
Good times and all fun with proceeds for charity.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 38
cannylad68
February 19, 2020, 11:04am
Table Wine Drinker
Sorry,

Des O'Connor.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 38
cannylad68
February 19, 2020, 11:10am
Table Wine Drinker
Getting mixed up with one of my all time Grimsby favourites, D-ck Conner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 38
jock dock tower
February 19, 2020, 11:17am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
I remember they were voted out of the FL in 1972 and Hereford were voted in. This was very unfair and based purely on the selfish geography by clubs who did not like travelling all the way to Barrow.

We poached their manager Don McEvoy in 1967 after he had taken Barrow up to the old 3rd Div but it never worked out at BP and we went into freefall until McMenemy came.

Same thing happened with Gateshead and Workington as well. How Football League chairmen had such power to vote out such clubs over a plate of sarnies was really astonishing, but viewed as somewhat democratic at the time.

Peterborough, Oxford (who came in the year after Accrington Stanley folded), Cambridge and Hereford, Wimbledon and Wigan were the six clubs who were voted in by this system in the sixties and seventies until it was abandoned. Wigan, I suppose, had fairly good travel access, but all the other five clubs show a distinct bias to clubs from the south and a nice day out instead of the six northern clubs they replaced.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 38
wuffing
February 19, 2020, 11:38am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +788
Gold Stars: 35

Crikes...I remember being at a Barrow game around 71/72 before they were voted out. We won 2-0 if memory serves me right...or does it?

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 38
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 19, 2020, 11:44am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from jock dock tower

Same thing happened with Gateshead and Workington as well. How Football League chairmen had such power to vote out such clubs over a plate of sarnies was really astonishing, but viewed as somewhat democratic at the time.

Peterborough, Oxford (who came in the year after Accrington Stanley folded), Cambridge and Hereford, Wimbledon and Wigan were the six clubs who were voted in by this system in the sixties and seventies until it was abandoned. Wigan, I suppose, had fairly good travel access, but all the other five clubs show a distinct bias to clubs from the south and a nice day out instead of the six northern clubs they replaced.

Bradford PA went out in 1970 but they were broke. I saw Town play there in that last year and I think there were about 30 of us Town fans (and not many more from Bradford!). They sold off their players and we picked up a decent left winger for very little whose name escapes me. He was never as good for Town and didn't stay long at BP though.

I felt sorry for the northern clubs. We had some connections with Workington with Charlie Wright and Bill Shankly and, apart from McEvoy, Colin Appleton also managed Barrow. Relegation could have happened sooner though because it wasn't until the 4th Div came in and the reorganisation of the non-league pyramid that re-election became a straight choice. Until then any number of non-league clubs could be vying for a place and that split the vote which was why it took Peterborough so long to make it despite being the top non-league side for year after year.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 38
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Barrowcelona

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.