Lincoln Mariner 56
February 20, 2020, 6:45pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,650
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Strangely, I remember Kevin Hector scoring a lot of goals. You do as a kid. Also Stuart Scullion and Barry Endean.  Not sure why they stick in the mind as nothing to do with Town.

Keith Cockburn scored with a good shot for Grimsby in front of the Osmond Stand.  We were in the same stand so it must have been when you changed ends at HT.

Think Scullion and Endean’s fame emanates from them combining for Endean to score with a diving header and knock Liverpool out the FA Cup quarter finals think it was in 69 or 70. Ultimately that led to Shankly rebuilding his team with stalwarts like Lawrence, Yeats and St John replaced by Clemence, Larry Lloyd and Keegan.

Other three strikers I remember from my early town years were Bobby Ham (think he scored 4 one day in a 5-1 Bradford City victory, Jim Fryatt who was at Oldham and Dixie McNeil who played at a number of clubs which I think included Lincoln, Northampton and Wrexham.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 38
mimma
February 20, 2020, 6:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,567
Gold Stars: 78
I saw Town play at Bradford PA. It was the first ground I went to that had a double decker stand.

I remember Dougie Collins was sent off for punching one of their players.

After the game a Town director came out and shook all the Town fans hands to thank us for our support!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 38
barralad
February 20, 2020, 7:32pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Think Scullion and Endean’s fame emanates from them combining for Endean to score with a diving header and knock Liverpool out the FA Cup quarter finals think it was in 69 or 70. Ultimately that led to Shankly rebuilding his team with stalwarts like Lawrence, Yeats and St John replaced by Clemence, Larry Lloyd and Keegan.

Other three strikers I remember from my early town years were Bobby Ham (think he scored 4 one day in a 5-1 Bradford City victory, Jim Fryatt who was at Oldham and Dixie McNeil who played at a number of clubs which I think included Lincoln, Northampton and Wrexham.

Some great names from the past in the lower divisions. My (female) cousin was Oldham daft and worshipped Jim Fryatt.
Seem to remember Dixie McNeil playing for Lincoln at B.P.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 38
jock dock tower
February 20, 2020, 7:33pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Fryatt was one of those players who played for load of clubs during his career. Never stayed anywhere long but always produced the goods in front of goal.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 38
FishOutOfWater
February 21, 2020, 1:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from jock dock tower

Fryatt was one of those players who played for load of clubs during his career. Never stayed anywhere long but always produced the goods in front of goal.

I remember his name more because he was credited with scoring the fastest ever goal on record ( 4 seconds from kick-off   - unless someone in recent years has done it quicker? )
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 34 - 38
TownSNAFU5
February 21, 2020, 11:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,860
Gold Stars: 42
LM Mariner yes I remember those 3 strikers that you highlighted.  

Bobby Ham might have played for Bradford City when they beat us at their place in the FAC about 1968 or 1969.  I think that they had a very tall striker playing for them,

I remember the game for other things.  There were 4 of us who travelled on public transport from Mablethorpe.  None of were old enough to drive.  5 Mins before the end of the game we took off our Town scarfs and tied them around our bodies under our jackets.  

We then legged it to the rail station before the City skinheads got there first and ambushed us.  We made it the relative sanctity of the station 2 mins before a gang got there.  Not quite the good old days.  When young, you ignored the dangers of supporting Town at away games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 38
arryarryarry
February 22, 2020, 12:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from wuffing

Crikes...I remember being at a Barrow game around 71/72 before they were voted out. We won 2-0 if memory serves me right...or does it?

4th September 1971   0-0.

I was stood behind the goal.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 38
The_Laughing_Mariner
February 22, 2020, 5:21am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
We played Barrow on the Tuesday night after Matt Tees' return.  Indeed it was a 2-0 win which included an Alan Woodward thunderbolt IIRC

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 38
rancido
February 22, 2020, 12:19pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,532
Gold Stars: 96
Didn't we sign Dave Worthington from Barrow?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 38
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Barrowcelona

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.