4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Heisenberg
February 19, 2020, 4:08pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,808
Gold Stars: 89

Admittedly, all of the clubs in La Liga did sign up to the rules at the start of the season and two of the conditions were:

- If Barcelona ask you to do something, you do it, or we will take an even larger chunk of the TV rights
- If Real Madrid ask you to do something, you do it, or we will take an even larger chunk of the TV rights

This bang on.  I dislike Real a lot more than I do Barca, but I agree, they pay wages they simply cannot afford, or at least it does seem that way. UEFA favour these two giants over everyone else, and it does annoy me.  There is no doubt that Man City have broken the rules and been quite unethical about their whole situation, but Real and Barca have done that sort of thing for decades.  If either of those two got banned it would be seismic.  UEFA just don't like this new-money thing with Man City.  I'm not keen either and think City are a false club nowadays (no fault of their fans), but it should be one rule for all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 38
golfer
February 19, 2020, 4:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,374
Gold Stars: 111

Bradford PA went out in 1970 but they were broke. I saw Town play there in that last year and I think there were about 30 of us Town fans (and not many more from Bradford!). They sold off their players and we picked up a decent left winger for very little whose name escapes me. He was never as good for Town and didn't stay long at BP though.

I felt sorry for the northern clubs. We had some connections with Workington with Charlie Wright and Bill Shankly and, apart from McEvoy, Colin Appleton also managed Barrow. Relegation could have happened sooner though because it wasn't until the 4th Div came in and the reorganisation of the non-league pyramid that re-election became a straight choice. Until then any number of non-league clubs could be vying for a place and that split the vote which was why it took Peterborough so long to make it despite being the top non-league side for year after year.

Keith Cockburn was the name of the winger Ron

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 38
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
February 19, 2020, 5:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,784
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Heisenberg

This bang on.  I dislike Real a lot more than I do Barca, but I agree, they pay wages they simply cannot afford, or at least it does seem that way. UEFA favour these two giants over everyone else, and it does annoy me.  There is no doubt that Man City have broken the rules and been quite unethical about their whole situation, but Real and Barca have done that sort of thing for decades.  If either of those two got banned it would be seismic.  UEFA just don't like this new-money thing with Man City.  I'm not keen either and think City are a false club nowadays (no fault of their fans), but it should be one rule for all.

I used to see RM as the devil and Barca as the good guys. In fact, when I could not get to sleep, I used to dream of playing up front for Barca (Town had released me after John Tondeur caught me eating skinless cod out of a paper bag in People's Park. He told Burnsy (I guess you had to in those days)), and I had to work my way back up after stints at Southport and Strømsgodset.

It's all changed now though. I am currently on gardening leave after nutting Xavi over a disagreement on the treatment of migrant workers in Qatar, and am now looking at my options in the Bundesliga.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 38
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 19, 2020, 5:27pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from golfer

That’s it!

Ta!

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 38
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 19, 2020, 6:43pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,502
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from golfer

Scored a cracker on his debut and after that he was as visible on the pitch as Lord Lucan off it!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 38
KingstonMariner
February 19, 2020, 11:07pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Thankfully, Barrow AFC have greater morals than Barcelona and, however poorly the Conference is run, operate in a league that actually attempts to provide a level playing field.

Despite the fact that many of Barcelona's youth players would walk into most teams in La Liga (and have the wages to prove it), 'mes que un bastardo club' have been given dispensation by La Liga to pluck ex-Teeside drystonewaller, Martin Braithwaite, from La Liga relegation zone loiterers, Club Deportivo Leganés.

Yet Leganés do not get any dispensation to replace their 'star striker', so they are almost certainly going to be relegated. A relegation which has been directly affected by Barcelona being unable to operate with a balanced squad and 5punking (admittedly world class 5punk - Sir Alex has started action over his stud rights) over £500k a week on Lionel Messi.

Top level football is truly disgusting and I thank Mr Fenty for his foresight in keeping us well away from it during his tenure.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 38
barralad
February 20, 2020, 4:31pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,194
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from cannylad68
I remember seeing Don McEvoy playing for a Grimsby Town X1 against a Showbiz X1, (may have included Des O'Conner and Craig Douglas), one Sunday afternoon at King George stadium.
Good times and all fun with proceeds for charity.

I have the programme from that game. I went with Terry Donovan. F. A. Would who was then GTFC chairman took Terry aside and advised him NEVER to become a pro.  footballer!

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 38
barralad
February 20, 2020, 4:38pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,194
Gold Stars: 121

Bradford PA went out in 1970 but they were broke. I saw Town play there in that last year and I think there were about 30 of us Town fans (and not many more from Bradford!). They sold off their players and we picked up a decent left winger for very little whose name escapes me. He was never as good for Town and didn't stay long at BP though.

I felt sorry for the northern clubs. We had some connections with Workington with Charlie Wright and Bill Shankly and, apart from McEvoy, Colin Appleton also managed Barrow. Relegation could have happened sooner though because it wasn't until the 4th Div came in and the reorganisation of the non-league pyramid that re-election became a straight choice. Until then any number of non-league clubs could be vying for a place and that split the vote which was why it took Peterborough so long to make it despite being the top non-league side for year after year.

I think the player you mention was called Keith (something).
Kevin Hector who had a very good career at Derby in Division 1 started out at Bradford Park. A.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 38
thefish
February 20, 2020, 4:47pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,267
Gold Stars: 67

I used to see RM as the devil and Barca as the good guys. In fact, when I could not get to sleep, I used to dream of playing up front for Barca (Town had released me after John Tondeur caught me eating skinless cod out of a paper bag in People's Park. He told Burnsy (I guess you had to in those days)), and I had to work my way back up after stints at Southport and Strømsgodset.

It's all changed now though. I am currently on gardening leave after nutting Xavi over a disagreement on the treatment of migrant workers in Qatar, and am now looking at my options in the Bundesliga.

It sounds like you could do a job at this level...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 38
TownSNAFU5
February 20, 2020, 5:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Strangely, I remember Kevin Hector scoring a lot of goals. You do as a kid. Also Stuart Scullion and Barry Endean.  Not sure why they stick in the mind as nothing to do with Town.

Keith Cockburn scored with a good shot for Grimsby in front of the Osmond Stand.  We were in the same stand so it must have been when you changed ends at HT.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 38
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Barrowcelona

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.