10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
norfuk mariner
February 17, 2020, 7:26pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +200
Gold Stars: 2
They stole Kevin Drinkell for a pittance!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 98
KingstonMariner
February 18, 2020, 12:49am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.09
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
If it came to it, I'd rather see Stevenage go down this year than Scunny. It's a shame that Bury's fuckup lost us a relegation spot.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 98
aldi_01
February 18, 2020, 8:13am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
We all hate scunny, I mean I hate Hull more but we’re a million miles away from the championship. I never regarded Lincoln as a derby nor could I care less about them.

I have friends who are scunny fans and whilst I’d happily laugh at their demise, as I’ve said previously, I’d rather have the fun and excitement of playing them twice a season, may be winning one or both than playing Stevenage...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 98
diehardmariner
February 19, 2020, 10:47am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,362
Gold Stars: 532
Never seen Scunny as a rival growing up, same as Lincoln.

It took a good 15 years of watching Town to see us play either in the league.  Still not seen us play Hull in a league fixture.

Rivalry for me was always Sheffield Wednesday or Barnsley.  West Brom for a bit in the mid-90's,

It feels a 'new' set of rivalries in Scunny and Lincoln for me but it's a good 15 years now that we've been either at their level or bemoaning their success.  

Maybe I need to come back down to earth but I really struggle to see the likes of Scunny and Lincoln as rivals.  Hell, don't even get me started when we start to feel that Stevenage, Hartlepool, Cheltenham and Forest Green Rovers are some sort of rivals to us...
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 98
mariner83
February 19, 2020, 11:22am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
Went to school in Brigg, in the mid 90s so we were the "bigger" team then - didn't really think of them as rivals other than when we played them in the AWS (I think we had more there that night than they did? ).

There seemed to be more GTFC fans, than Scunny as well.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 64 - 98
BobbyCummingsTackle
February 19, 2020, 11:30am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,140
Gold Stars: 289
Quoted from diehardmariner
Never seen Scunny as a rival growing up, same as Lincoln.

It took a good 15 years of watching Town to see us play either in the league.  Still not seen us play Hull in a league fixture.

Rivalry for me was always Sheffield Wednesday or Barnsley.  West Brom for a bit in the mid-90's,

It feels a 'new' set of rivalries in Scunny and Lincoln for me but it's a good 15 years now that we've been either at their level or bemoaning their success.  

Maybe I need to come back down to earth but I really struggle to see the likes of Scunny and Lincoln as rivals.  Hell, don't even get me started when we start to feel that Stevenage, Hartlepool, Cheltenham and Forest Green Rovers are some sort of rivals to us...

I am not having a go at you here but I think it's really interesting....

Stevenage, Cheltenham and Forest Green are rivals because they are in the same division as us and we have to play them twice a year. If we were in FGR's position right now we would seriously be looking at a play off run and we'd love that! We would be fancying promotion if we were in Cheltenham's position. Lincoln are a bigger club than us by any measure you want to mention - league position, number of season ticket holders, turnover, facilities (particularly their training ground). Up to this season I'd have said the same about Scunthorpe and you can't deny it about Hull (I struggled to write that).

You don't "feel" that they are rivals but based on fact they are. There is nothing wrong with your feelings though! Football is a game that's all about emotion, passion and feelings.

What we are in danger of here is doing what Wolves, Man City and their like did to us in the glory days - we loved all the sh*t they gave us about being 'bigger' clubs because of their history, their fan base and the size of their grounds. And we loved it because we often played them off the park and shut them up where it mattered.

We don't get a single point for having been to Wembley umpteen times, having the record attendance at Old Trafford, having had Hall, Betmead and Buck in our team or Bill Shankly as a former manager. We get points for beating Colchester on a cold Tuesday night in February in front of a pathetic home crowd.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 98
cannylad68
February 19, 2020, 11:43am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
I don't have the same views as almost everyone.
I want all Lincolnshire clubs to be in the football league, and hopefully Boston in the future.
Yes, let's have local rivalry, but not to the extent of vitriol.
RR will back me up in confirming that the local derby matches were always against Hull City.
Special trains from Cleethorpes/Grimsby direct to Boothferry Park.
Once you were in the ground, you could see further trains arriving with supporters.
One of my memories going via the ferry, saw a rather large red faced man, wearing a Grimsby Town rosette on one lapel, and a Hull City rosette on the other.
Good times.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 98
RichMariner
February 19, 2020, 2:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,128
Gold Stars: 209
Life without a local rival is very boring. Imagine our time in non-league again but without those Christmas and New Year games against Lincoln. It would've been barren.

Attendances go up for local derbies - we'll no doubt sell all 2,000 tickets for the game at Scunny in just over two weeks (we took more than that to Bradford!).

I guess it costs more to bring extra police and stewards in but I'm sure that's outweighed by extra ticket sales.

Don't understand why rivalries have to get so intense and heated though. Why one person needs to lamp another person — just because they happen to have been born the other end of the road — is a mystery to me.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 67 - 98
diehardmariner
February 19, 2020, 2:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,362
Gold Stars: 532

Stevenage, Cheltenham and Forest Green are rivals because they are in the same division as us and we have to play them twice a year. If we were in FGR's position right now we would seriously be looking at a play off run and we'd love that! We would be fancying promotion if we were in Cheltenham's position. Lincoln are a bigger club than us by any measure you want to mention - league position, number of season ticket holders, turnover, facilities (particularly their training ground). Up to this season I'd have said the same about Scunthorpe and you can't deny it about Hull (I struggled to write that).

You don't "feel" that they are rivals but based on fact they are. There is nothing wrong with your feelings though! Football is a game that's all about emotion, passion and feelings.

What we are in danger of here is doing what Wolves, Man City and their like did to us in the glory days - we loved all the sh*t they gave us about being 'bigger' clubs because of their history, their fan base and the size of their grounds. And we loved it because we often played them off the park and shut them up where it mattered.

We don't get a single point for having been to Wembley umpteen times, having the record attendance at Old Trafford, having had Hall, Betmead and Buck in our team or Bill Shankly as a former manager. We get points for beating Colchester on a cold Tuesday night in February in front of a pathetic home crowd.

Oh I don't disagree with anything you've said.  We are where we should be and there's no arguing that.  I was more just bemoaning, out loud, our relative fall from grace.  
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 98
BIron
February 19, 2020, 4:35pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: -98
Gold Stars: 2

Very well said! was a similar response i made to someone on here not long ago. As a Scunny supporter we often get taunted by you lot for attendances. Ask a Bournemouth supporter if they really give a toss about attendances?  I'd rather have a successful team to support.  Have to say i am looking forward to our rematch in a few weeks time. It is all doom and gloom at the moment though, i can't see no more than 5,000 Scunny fans there.  

UTI
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 98
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Scunny

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.