grimsby pete
January 8, 2020, 7:09pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Heisenberg

Pretty sure we didn’t beat Bolton that season. Or ANY season!

Remember the home game we lost 1-0, when Shaun Cunnington was denied the most obvious penalty imaginable?!

Won 2-1 at Bolton with goals from Bobby Mitchell and Kevin Drinkell I think it was the early 80,s

Bobby Mitchell did not score a lot but hit a 30 yarder into the top of the net.

I missed it because I had gone for a pee

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 112
Eastendmariner
January 8, 2020, 7:28pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +940
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from chelseacity
Regarding the Leyton Orient V Grimsby Town match circa 1980 which i think we won 0 2 with Gary Birtles scoring & being brilliant, i was in a pub in Mill Hill & Bodie & Doyle from the' Professionals' were filming, i asked them for an autograph when they came to the bar & they said no, straight after me a pretty girl went & asked for their autographs, they bought her a drink & signed autographs for her. I had watched every episode until this, after that i didn't watch the rotten buggers anymore. I did hear on the radio & the newspapers about the nutters climbing out of the back of the coach & attacking a car, idiots.

I was there that day we lost 2-0 with Stan Bowles scoring from the penalty spot  a few hand bags in side the ground  but I REMEMBER a news report in the local paper that covers Orient and West Ham about the altercation with the coach and the car and it leading to the police catching up with the coach and detaining a couple Town Fans

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 112
toontown
January 8, 2020, 7:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,269
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Heisenberg

Pretty sure we didn’t beat Bolton that season. Or ANY season!

Remember the home game we lost 1-0, when Shaun Cunnington was denied the most obvious penalty imaginable?!

Remember that one well! The linesman flagged but was overruled by the ref. To his  credit the linesman initially refused to stand down and continued to flag and had to be told again by the ref. One of the worst decisions I have ever seen in 'real life's.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 112
Heisenberg
January 8, 2020, 8:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,035
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from grimsby pete

Won 2-1 at Bolton with goals from Bobby Mitchell and Kevin Drinkell I think it was the early 80,s

Bobby Mitchell did not score a lot but hit a 30 yarder into the top of the net.

I missed it because I had gone for a pee

Ah! I stand corrected. Early 80’s isn’t in my brain database - in fact the 89/90 season was my first proper one really. Great one to start with!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 112
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 8, 2020, 8:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Rik e B
I'm glad I wasn't around then tbh 😲

Football, as life (and many sports), goes through various changes within it's life. Look at what we have now, a lopsided contrast within the divisions of the game due to the money and changes being implemented. I remember the pontoon (being amongst the limbs) after cockers toe poked in from 4 yards. Just imagine if that had been reviewed by VAR or kids had been filming it on their phones.

Football may have changed, but it's not always for the better

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 112
Limerick Mariner
January 8, 2020, 8:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,693
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Caveman

No. The ref was one Brian Hil from Kettering, I'll never forget him for that decision which
led us having to get a result later at that famous game at Stoke.

Mind you Cunnington whilst right through on goal would have probably missed.. As good as he was
his shooting was awful at times

"The back row of the Pontoon were ducking in anticipation as Cunnington burst through" [Plowes. S, Sing When We're Fishing, 1990]  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 112
KingstonMariner
January 8, 2020, 8:12pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from mariner91
I imagine there may well be some exiles who turn up on the day. Great showing.

We do have that there  internet in London you know. 😃

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 112
Rik e B
January 8, 2020, 9:01pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
That's true Woz, more of a level playing field back then whereas now the rich get richer and the poor get poorer and there's no realistic chance of making a fist way up the leagues with a little good management.

It disgusts me football now tbh, I just love my Town and take in some of the top level just because of the extreme talent and athletiscm on show. But it's all a shower of sh!t really, the games ruined.

Just sounds scary as f all this talk of bat's and stuff. I can look after myself if it comes to it though I never seek, but they had Stanley blades and all sorts back then. Too far, way too far.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 112
mimma
January 8, 2020, 9:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
My memory of that incident was that the linesman was up with the play and flagged furiously for a foul. The ref ignored him so he flagged again and the ref turned his back on him. It was outside the box but he was clean through. The defender clipped his heel from behind and would have been sent off if the ref hadn't bottled it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 112
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 8, 2020, 9:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Rik e B
That's true Woz, more of a level playing field back then whereas now the rich get richer and the poor get poorer and there's no realistic chance of making a fist way up the leagues with a little good management.

It disgusts me football now tbh, I just love my Town and take in some of the top level just because of the extreme talent and athletiscm on show. But it's all a shower of sh!t really, the games ruined.

Just sounds scary as f all this talk of bat's and stuff. I can look after myself if it comes to it though I never seek, but they had Stanley blades and all sorts back then. Too far, way too far.

It pains me to see these kids (and adults) filming stuff such as penalties, when You should really be really caught up in the moment

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 112
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Orient tickets

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.