codcheeky
January 8, 2020, 2:12pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

That was the last time I went to their ground... a disappointing performance to say the least

Went there a couple of times in the early 80s... always had a happy-go-lucky feel to the place, rather than it being intimidating like a lot of the other London clubs grounds were ( like West Ham, Chelsea, Millwall etc )

Anyone there in the 1980-81 season by any chance? A couple of Town fans attacked a bloke and his daughter on the road out... I recall it making the front page of the national papers on the Monday

I was there for that, 1980 incident, some idiot jumped out the emergency exit of a coach and attacked a car with a hammer from what I recall, remember being held up in the area for ages
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 112
chelseacity
January 8, 2020, 2:48pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +364
Gold Stars: 9
Regarding the Leyton Orient V Grimsby Town match circa 1980 which i think we won 0 2 with Gary Birtles scoring & being brilliant, i was in a pub in Mill Hill & Bodie & Doyle from the' Professionals' were filming, i asked them for an autograph when they came to the bar & they said no, straight after me a pretty girl went & asked for their autographs, they bought her a drink & signed autographs for her. I had watched every episode until this, after that i didn't watch the rotten buggers anymore. I did hear on the radio & the newspapers about the nutters climbing out of the back of the coach & attacking a car, idiots.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 112
toontown
January 8, 2020, 3:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from chelseacity
Regarding the Leyton Orient V Grimsby Town match circa 1980 which i think we won 0 2 with Gary Birtles scoring & being brilliant, i was in a pub in Mill Hill & Bodie & Doyle from the' Professionals' were filming, i asked them for an autograph when they came to the bar & they said no, straight after me a pretty girl went & asked for their autographs, they bought her a drink & signed autographs for her. I had watched every episode until this, after that i didn't watch the rotten buggers anymore. I did hear on the radio & the newspapers about the nutters climbing out of the back of the coach & attacking a car, idiots.

If birtles scored would have been 1990 not 1980!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 112
Limerick Mariner
January 8, 2020, 3:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,662
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from toontown

If birtles scored would have been 1990 not 1980!

It was 91. An important win in our penultimate away game after a shock 1-0 home defeat by Crewe in the week threatened automatic promotion. The last away game being the infamous one at the Victoria Ground - when it was known well beforehand the Stoke fans were going to have a go and of course they did invade the pitch and come straight over to our end.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 112
mimma
January 8, 2020, 3:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,568
Gold Stars: 78
I was at that infamous game in the 80s. The incident were a Town fan got out of the emergency exit of the coach and attacked a family of colourd people with a hammer. The guy who did it was a notorious fan by the name of "mad miff" from the scaffa mob. He did time for it.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 112
Heisenberg
January 8, 2020, 3:57pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,955
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

It was 91. An important win in our penultimate away game after a shock 1-0 home defeat by Crewe in the week threatened automatic promotion. The last away game being the infamous one at the Victoria Ground - when it was known well beforehand the Stoke fans were going to have a go and of course they did invade the pitch and come straight over to our end.

I remember the Crewe game, think it was midweek, we dominated it but I think it might have been Craig Hignett who got the winner?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 112
Gaffer58
January 8, 2020, 4:07pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Gold Stars: 31
Talking of fans, not the idiots ( hopefully), as a youngster, and coming on the supporters bus from Brigg, early 70’s, so I didn’t know anything or anybody from Grimsby/ Cleethorpes but when standing in the Pontoon someone would start up the chant, “ give me a G” which everyone would then shout”G” followed by the rest of Grimsby, was always told that only certain people could start this chant as they were the top boys, was this correct.
     Also was always told the “white coat boys” were the number 1 group from town, was this also just terrace rumour or not?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 112
Jackie Lewis
January 8, 2020, 4:18pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +75
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 112
Bristol Mariner
January 8, 2020, 4:59pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from chelseacity

Was 90ish, we went up two weeks or so later - possibly we beat Bolton the week after?It was my birthday, I had a sling on and remember drinking green lager at a nearby pub. We were in the terrace behind the goal.

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 112
FishOutOfWater
January 8, 2020, 5:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from codcheeky

I was there for that, 1980 incident, some idiot jumped out the emergency exit of a coach and attacked a car with a hammer from what I recall, remember being held up in the area for ages

They did... me and my mates were in my car, right behind their coach when it all kicked off.

It was all pretty surreal being in a line of cars at traffic lights with something like a "Punch & Judy"  fight taking place

I can't recall exactly why it all escalated so quickly but I think the Town fans were intimidating the guy who was attacked from the back of the bus... I do remember he was called Oswald and that he got out of his car to confront them when it suddenly turned really ugly

He was being hit over and over again on his head and was bleeding profusely but still kept trying to fight back.

His daughter got out to try and come between them as the bus started off from the lights so the perpetrators then ran to get back in the bus as it was pulling away

I believe the police caught up with the coach on its way back up north...

I didn't see the outcome but whoever committed the assault was lucky he didn't land a fatal blow on the poor bloke
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 49 - 112
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Orient tickets

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.