psgmariner
January 1, 2020, 8:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from AussieMariner
I’ve been finding ways to get to every game recently despite the results and lack of goals and I can assure you that I would not have bothered if I felt the players weren’t trying.

That must be costing you a fortune.

Private Message
Reply: 20 - 45
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 1, 2020, 8:12pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from ginnywings
Not the best of games but it's amazing how your luck can change. Minutes after they miss the games best chance, we score from a scruffy bobbler. Vernam is starting to show what he can do, and we look pretty solid at the back, but there is much room for improvement. IH was just off to the side of us and he was shouting instructions as if he were in the dug out. Hess got the ball in the second half and IH shouted, now drive with it, which he did. He then laid the ball off to the wing and IH shouted, now run beyond them and of course he didn't; just stood and watched. So i think that will be one aspect IH will be working on, namely midfielders running beyond the strikers.

Thought they looked a half decent side, but we dug in and worked really hard for the win.

All smiles at the end. JF made things up with my nephew, who was the one he had the barney with at the Scunny game. We had a bit of a chat with him about stuff while IH was shaking hands with everybody. Amazing what a week and a win can do.

Onward and upward.

Thank you for saying that. I made the same observation more than once when Jolley was in charge. We simply do not get enough people in the box to create panic and I can see that being one change Ollie will make. The other thing is the poor quality of crosses, they look poor because there are only one or two in the box, when we loaded it up more with two strikers it looked much better. Ollie will be happy with the effort though.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 45
Maringer
January 1, 2020, 8:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,496
Gold Stars: 185
I thought it was a pretty poor performance from Vernam today, perhaps due to tiredness? In fact, the same could be said for many of the team who were just a little bit lax and we gave away possession needlessly on way too many occasions. That said, everyone kept on going to the end and Vernam's cross looked a bit weak but sneaker through to Rose who managed to finish.

As is often the way of things, we got that bit of luck when they missed the chance following Robson's bizarre failure to make a simple clearance and that wsd enough for the points. I think we've played better in the previous 3 games I've seen but didn't get the rub of the green on those occasions.

One area where I hope we can work is counter-attacking as we absolutely butchered two great chances for a second goal to seal the game. First one was a 3 on 2 and I think the other began as a 5 on 3 yet we still didn't even manage to get a flipping shot away either time! Wrong pass choice every time.

One other thing I noticed today is that Waterfall actually did pretty well with the ball at his feet. He managed quite a few reasonable passes and was generally quite tidy in possession when he had the time. That's a good sign as distribution from the back is one of our weakest areas.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 45
AussieMariner
January 1, 2020, 8:30pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from psgmariner

That must be costing you a fortune.

Not really - I live in Leeds now so pretty handy for both home and quite a lot of away games

Discount on beers would be very welcome however....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 45
Epworth Mariner
January 1, 2020, 8:55pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +646
Gold Stars: 57
Met up with Ollie and his lovely wife ......sat near them at the match today.
They were both singing and clapping........even joined in with “fish.....fish....”
What a difference.......great people and grateful for all the support and welcome they have had.

For once our cat is happy after a town match.......

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 45
HertsGTFC
January 1, 2020, 10:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228

Thank you for saying that. I made the same observation more than once when Jolley was in charge. We simply do not get enough people in the box to create panic and I can see that being one change Ollie will make. The other thing is the poor quality of crosses, they look poor because there are only one or two in the box, when we loaded it up more with two strikers it looked much better. Ollie will be happy with the effort though.

You and me both Ron.....

Every player worked hard not a great game but we did try and pass the ball and had a number of opportunities to get balls into their box, which is promising.

Hendrie, Robson, Gibson,Hess all looked decent and I thought Davis & Waterfall looked better. Feel for Clifton as in his time in the first team he’s been asked to do different roles and clearly needs to find “his game” which he will, if not IH will find it for him.

Glad Rose scored, look what happens when you drop off the defender a bit and don’t go tearing in. Have to say though at times him and Ogbu looked like 8 year olds trying to learn ball control.

All said a home win with a clean sheet in front of a new manager who I reckon would be feeling he’s got a bit of talent to work with and plenty rest can be taken forward.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 45
LH
January 1, 2020, 10:46pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,505
Gold Stars: 173
Pretty dull game but got the result we wanted. Thought Salford looked very competent defensively and the starting front two looked like they’d cause problems on another day. I know it’s unfortunate Cook had to go off injured but it looked quite clear to me that the high, direct balls or playing long into the flanks to 3 lads no taller than 5’9” wasn’t going to work against an organised defence. If we’re playing that tactic you’d prefer Hanson on than Ogbu but obviously that couldn’t happen. Vernam good again today and we looked at our most dangerous with him running at them. Holloway speaks post match about working on an attacking shape and it’s definitely an area we need work.

The last few games has seen us put in some improved performances without getting the rub of the green to get goals and get results. The pendulum swung today - how on earth they missed that chance off the post and how an improved (maybe better for the introduction as late impact?) Ahkeem managed to sneak his effort in I don’t know but we’ve missed that luck in this run.

Some good commitment shown today across the team let’s hope they keep that up.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 45
StickfordMariner
January 1, 2020, 10:52pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +366
Gold Stars: 12
The fishy forum is famous again as Colin Murray on the efl show on quest was reading it after the game so he has just said. If your reading hello Colin 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 45
toontown
January 1, 2020, 11:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,278
Gold Stars: 70
It was the opposite to recent games really, fairly poor performances, dire entertainment, yet the result was the desperately needed win at last. Was that akheems first goal at BP? Bet he has dreamed of that!

When it came to attacking the lack of confidence showed, really poor decision making on counter attacks, lack of ownership in the oppo box.

A still notable weakness is the persistent tendency to play the ball backwards unnecessarily, in particular back to the keeper only for it to be aimlessly hoofed forward. If the ball is going to be booted forward anyway it may as well be from further forward and by an outfield player with more skill than Macca. That way it might occasionally go to one of our players. Crosses were poor as well.
But more important than any of that was the win, at last!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 45
ginnywings
January 2, 2020, 12:15am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
Wasn't Rose's first at BP. He has scored 2 late goals at home, both of them bringing us 3 points if I remember correctly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 45
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.