This thread currently has 10,989 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
jock dock tower
January 1, 2020, 6:18pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Has the gamble paid off already? After last home game's attendance of about 3,500, and reports of a woeful game, to actually get a crowd of 4,500 today has proved significant, because there would surely have been less for today's game had it not been for the Holloway effect.

By all accounts the players all put a shift in, and I think they all now realise there's no place to hide in a Holloway line up, so hopefully there'll be continual improvement there. He'll know who he wants to bring in, and I'm assuming he'll use Limbrick's knowledge to look at who to ship out.

We have now conceded just three goals in our last five games so we are already starting to prove that little bit more difficult to beat. One or two quality players in during the transfer window and we can hopefully look forward to a respectable finish and real momentum into next season.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 45
pontoon442
January 1, 2020, 6:27pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / -3
Approval: -256
Gold Stars: 5
My first game of the year too, but wasn't it Robson who set them up for the sitter that they missed second half, game really tight this time we came out okay but help needed in the transfer window...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 45
AussieMariner
January 1, 2020, 6:30pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Gold Stars: 31
By all accounts the players all put a shift in, and I think they all now realise there's no place to hide in a Holloway line up, so hopefully there'll be continual improvement there.

Have to pull you up on this one Jock. IMO the players have been putting a shift in consistently under Limbrick. I’ve been finding ways to get to every game recently despite the results and lack of goals and I can assure you that I would not have bothered if I felt the players weren’t trying.
Limbrick has to take some credit for keeping the players focussed and as Holloway himself said they probably deserved better results than they’ve been getting.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 45
ginnywings
January 1, 2020, 6:33pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,097
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from pontoon442
My first game of the year too, but wasn't it Robson who set them up for the sitter that they missed second half, game really tight this time we came out okay but help needed in the transfer window...

Looked like an air shot from Robson and the ball ran to their guy. Luckily he hit the outside of the post and it went for a goalkick
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 45
headingly_mariner
January 1, 2020, 6:46pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,314
Gold Stars: 113
What a shite game. Really struggled to get going, lacked ideas and quality.
Credit to limbrick for the shape change, thought we looked more likely after that but squandered possession in good areas repeatedly. Thought rose did better than usual and deserved his scuffer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 45
fishcake63
January 1, 2020, 6:47pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,235
Gold Stars: 62
davis & waterfall really good today
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 45
moosey_club
January 1, 2020, 7:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,197
Gold Stars: 224
I bet JF's thinking if I just held on for one more game and I could  have left Limbrick in charge 😂...

Again....settled shape...settled team aside from injury and a good energetic performance but lacking in the final third with just a single man up top....until we went 2 up top.  
At times we had so many opportunities to shoot from around the box but players opting to pass the responsibility on to a team mate...who then did the same. Confidence/ belief I suppose.
Can't knock any of the performances today....I think Gibson has grown into that role now...Robson very energetic and winning 40-60's never mind 50-50's.  .Hess must cover miles during a game hassling everywhere.

Limbrick certainly deserves some credit as I think there has been a marked improvement in effort , performance , understanding under his tenure...just the goals lacking really....if Hanson had been fully available then he may have seen greater rewards.  But that was then...

.good game for Holloway to watch on from the stands.....our lack of forward drive from centre midfield, lack of confidence belief in front of goal both evident which are easily identifiable issues for him to work on...but great effort and determination from all on view.

UTM

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 45
Heisenberg
January 1, 2020, 7:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,953
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from pontoon442

It was EVERYONE’S first game of the year!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 45
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 1, 2020, 7:21pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,629
Gold Stars: 67
Really pleased with the result and thought all the back four deserve great credit for their performance today. Clifton does a good job on the defensive side of the game but does not have the ability to look up and see the pass he should make so hopefully that’s something IH will work on. Robson excellent for me and Hess ok but not sure he is the right guy to be playing further forward.

Up front we just need some confidence in that final third and to know when to shoot and when to lay it off as we appear to choose the wrong option 90% of the time plus we need to get more men in the box when crosses do come in otherwise we will continue to score goals.

For me if 3 players are being brought in I would want 2 midfield players and a poacher to play alongside Hansen.

Good start to the year though so a happy Mariner tonight
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 45
psgmariner
January 1, 2020, 8:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Had to leave early (80 mins) so missed the goal. Standard.

Thought Vernam did very well. Seems a lot more confident taking on his man since the loan.

The pitch looked pretty dodgy in the goal mouths. Wouldn’t be rolling too many back passes back on that.

Private Message
Reply: 19 - 45
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.