Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: It Bites, January 1, 2020, 5:38pm
First game in over a year and what stood out was the effort the players gave today . 100% all over the park which must of pleased  IH . Unfortunately quality in the final 3rd was severely lacking but I’m sure  IH can sort that out pretty quick . We looked a lot better with two up top . Vernam was my Mom by a million miles . Quality player but I’m sure those that have watched him more will know whether that’s his best position . Defence was solid as was the midfield .
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), January 1, 2020, 5:42pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from It Bites
First game in over a year and what stood out was the effort the players gave today . 100% all over the park which must of pleased  IH . Unfortunately quality in the final 3rd was severely lacking but I’m sure  IH can sort that out pretty quick . We looked a lot better with two up top . Vernam was my Mom by a million miles . Quality player but I’m sure those that have watched him more will know whether that’s his best position . Defence was solid as was the midfield .

I thought we did really well, as they were pressing us the whole game, and we were pressing them hard too, that's what made it look scrappy, but we got the goal we wanted and the three points.  UTM!

Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, January 1, 2020, 5:43pm; Reply: 2
Probably didn't play as well as we have during the past few weeks but deserved the win in my opinion. Really happy for the boys and the coaching staff to finally get that monkey off our back and the crowd really got behind the team which was great.

Impressed with Robson and Vernham in spells hut thought Davis was outstanding today, absolutely solid and him and Waterfall dealt with everything thrown at them.

Great to see so many fans back inside BP, over 1000 more that against Crawly which is a great show of commitment to the club and the new manager. If we can add some creativity in midfield, another wide player and a goal poacher then we could still have a really good season. We are not that far away and a few wins can propel us up the table!

It does feel like we could really be into something!

Bring on Mansfield!

#UTM
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 1, 2020, 5:43pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from It Bites

Charles wasn’t at his best today but still provided the assist. Gibson, Robson, Davis and Hess had decent games, Harry Clifton looks a bit lightweight in the holding role, we need better in there.
Posted by: Hagrid, January 1, 2020, 5:43pm; Reply: 4
Robson was the best player on the pitch by a country mile
Posted by: ginnywings, January 1, 2020, 5:43pm; Reply: 5
Not the best of games but it's amazing how your luck can change. Minutes after they miss the games best chance, we score from a scruffy bobbler. Vernam is starting to show what he can do, and we look pretty solid at the back, but there is much room for improvement. IH was just off to the side of us and he was shouting instructions as if he were in the dug out. Hess got the ball in the second half and IH shouted, now drive with it, which he did. He then laid the ball off to the wing and IH shouted, now run beyond them and of course he didn't; just stood and watched. So i think that will be one aspect IH will be working on, namely midfielders running beyond the strikers.

Thought they looked a half decent side, but we dug in and worked really hard for the win.

All smiles at the end. JF made things up with my nephew, who was the one he had the barney with at the Scunny game. We had a bit of a chat with him about stuff while IH was shaking hands with everybody. Amazing what a week and a win can do.

Onward and upward.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 1, 2020, 5:48pm; Reply: 6
I thought Hendrie was as good as anybody myself.
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, January 1, 2020, 5:49pm; Reply: 7
My 7th game this season and the first win (that didn't require a penalty shootout) that I've seen so my own curse is lifted. Pleased for limbrick and this is a massive stroke of luck for us really because it changes the complexion of Holloways job in a really positive way and training the next couple of days will have a real buzz about it and an away game with a real big away following too perfectly timed.

Salford looked much better than when we last played them, we seemed to be overthinking it on the attack but we kept going and going and really pleased with the team for that and seeing the opportunity to win the game. Robson and vernam played well and could see the difference rose made running round when he came on seemed to also give ogbu space to do a bit more.

Happy New year everyone, and did anyone hear what Holloway said before the game? our sound system is so crap, but saying that I don't miss the massive stack of deafening speakers
Posted by: lukeo, January 1, 2020, 5:50pm; Reply: 8
Robson best player by far.
I like Vernam and Rose looked good.

I'm not sure what Ogbu brings to the team, he's a strange player. He drew in some needed free kicks though.
3 points. We move up. Utm
Posted by: monkeyboy, January 1, 2020, 5:51pm; Reply: 9
People giving Ogbu a kicking? i thought he did alright.  He held the ball up ok and played a couple of decent balls.  Considering the guy hasnt had a run in the team yet he done more than Green has all season for me.
Think he needs to stop wondering out wide when he is the only striker and stay central, he is very capable of holding ball up and bringing others in to play.

Think whole team did ok today but nothing spectacular, probably the worst we have played in a few games and won so hopefully turning the corner now.

MOM for me today goes to either Hendry or Robson. but no one played bad just scrappy at times
Posted by: jock dock tower, January 1, 2020, 6:18pm; Reply: 10
Has the gamble paid off already? After last home game's attendance of about 3,500, and reports of a woeful game, to actually get a crowd of 4,500 today has proved significant, because there would surely have been less for today's game had it not been for the Holloway effect.

By all accounts the players all put a shift in, and I think they all now realise there's no place to hide in a Holloway line up, so hopefully there'll be continual improvement there. He'll know who he wants to bring in, and I'm assuming he'll use Limbrick's knowledge to look at who to ship out.

We have now conceded just three goals in our last five games so we are already starting to prove that little bit more difficult to beat. One or two quality players in during the transfer window and we can hopefully look forward to a respectable finish and real momentum into next season.
Posted by: pontoon442, January 1, 2020, 6:27pm; Reply: 11
My first game of the year too, but wasn't it Robson who set them up for the sitter that they missed second half, game really tight this time we came out okay but help needed in the transfer window...
Posted by: AussieMariner, January 1, 2020, 6:30pm; Reply: 12
By all accounts the players all put a shift in, and I think they all now realise there's no place to hide in a Holloway line up, so hopefully there'll be continual improvement there.

Have to pull you up on this one Jock. IMO the players have been putting a shift in consistently under Limbrick. I’ve been finding ways to get to every game recently despite the results and lack of goals and I can assure you that I would not have bothered if I felt the players weren’t trying.
Limbrick has to take some credit for keeping the players focussed and as Holloway himself said they probably deserved better results than they’ve been getting.

Posted by: ginnywings, January 1, 2020, 6:33pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from pontoon442
My first game of the year too, but wasn't it Robson who set them up for the sitter that they missed second half, game really tight this time we came out okay but help needed in the transfer window...

Looked like an air shot from Robson and the ball ran to their guy. Luckily he hit the outside of the post and it went for a goalkick
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 1, 2020, 6:46pm; Reply: 14
What a shite game. Really struggled to get going, lacked ideas and quality.
Credit to limbrick for the shape change, thought we looked more likely after that but squandered possession in good areas repeatedly. Thought rose did better than usual and deserved his scuffer.
Posted by: fishcake63, January 1, 2020, 6:47pm; Reply: 15
davis & waterfall really good today
Posted by: moosey_club, January 1, 2020, 7:03pm; Reply: 16
I bet JF's thinking if I just held on for one more game and I could  have left Limbrick in charge 😂...

Again....settled shape...settled team aside from injury and a good energetic performance but lacking in the final third with just a single man up top....until we went 2 up top.  
At times we had so many opportunities to shoot from around the box but players opting to pass the responsibility on to a team mate...who then did the same. Confidence/ belief I suppose.
Can't knock any of the performances today....I think Gibson has grown into that role now...Robson very energetic and winning 40-60's never mind 50-50's.  .Hess must cover miles during a game hassling everywhere.

Limbrick certainly deserves some credit as I think there has been a marked improvement in effort , performance , understanding under his tenure...just the goals lacking really....if Hanson had been fully available then he may have seen greater rewards.  But that was then...

.good game for Holloway to watch on from the stands.....our lack of forward drive from centre midfield, lack of confidence belief in front of goal both evident which are easily identifiable issues for him to work on...but great effort and determination from all on view.

UTM

Posted by: Heisenberg, January 1, 2020, 7:10pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from pontoon442

It was EVERYONE’S first game of the year!!
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 1, 2020, 7:21pm; Reply: 18
Really pleased with the result and thought all the back four deserve great credit for their performance today. Clifton does a good job on the defensive side of the game but does not have the ability to look up and see the pass he should make so hopefully that’s something IH will work on. Robson excellent for me and Hess ok but not sure he is the right guy to be playing further forward.

Up front we just need some confidence in that final third and to know when to shoot and when to lay it off as we appear to choose the wrong option 90% of the time plus we need to get more men in the box when crosses do come in otherwise we will continue to score goals.

For me if 3 players are being brought in I would want 2 midfield players and a poacher to play alongside Hansen.

Good start to the year though so a happy Mariner tonight
Posted by: psgmariner, January 1, 2020, 8:06pm; Reply: 19
Had to leave early (80 mins) so missed the goal. Standard.

Thought Vernam did very well. Seems a lot more confident taking on his man since the loan.

The pitch looked pretty dodgy in the goal mouths. Wouldn’t be rolling too many back passes back on that.
Posted by: psgmariner, January 1, 2020, 8:08pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from AussieMariner
I’ve been finding ways to get to every game recently despite the results and lack of goals and I can assure you that I would not have bothered if I felt the players weren’t trying.

That must be costing you a fortune.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 1, 2020, 8:12pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from ginnywings
Not the best of games but it's amazing how your luck can change. Minutes after they miss the games best chance, we score from a scruffy bobbler. Vernam is starting to show what he can do, and we look pretty solid at the back, but there is much room for improvement. IH was just off to the side of us and he was shouting instructions as if he were in the dug out. Hess got the ball in the second half and IH shouted, now drive with it, which he did. He then laid the ball off to the wing and IH shouted, now run beyond them and of course he didn't; just stood and watched. So i think that will be one aspect IH will be working on, namely midfielders running beyond the strikers.

Thought they looked a half decent side, but we dug in and worked really hard for the win.

All smiles at the end. JF made things up with my nephew, who was the one he had the barney with at the Scunny game. We had a bit of a chat with him about stuff while IH was shaking hands with everybody. Amazing what a week and a win can do.

Onward and upward.

Thank you for saying that. I made the same observation more than once when Jolley was in charge. We simply do not get enough people in the box to create panic and I can see that being one change Ollie will make. The other thing is the poor quality of crosses, they look poor because there are only one or two in the box, when we loaded it up more with two strikers it looked much better. Ollie will be happy with the effort though.
Posted by: Maringer, January 1, 2020, 8:14pm; Reply: 22
I thought it was a pretty poor performance from Vernam today, perhaps due to tiredness? In fact, the same could be said for many of the team who were just a little bit lax and we gave away possession needlessly on way too many occasions. That said, everyone kept on going to the end and Vernam's cross looked a bit weak but sneaker through to Rose who managed to finish.

As is often the way of things, we got that bit of luck when they missed the chance following Robson's bizarre failure to make a simple clearance and that wsd enough for the points. I think we've played better in the previous 3 games I've seen but didn't get the rub of the green on those occasions.

One area where I hope we can work is counter-attacking as we absolutely butchered two great chances for a second goal to seal the game. First one was a 3 on 2 and I think the other began as a 5 on 3 yet we still didn't even manage to get a flipping shot away either time! Wrong pass choice every time.

One other thing I noticed today is that Waterfall actually did pretty well with the ball at his feet. He managed quite a few reasonable passes and was generally quite tidy in possession when he had the time. That's a good sign as distribution from the back is one of our weakest areas.
Posted by: AussieMariner, January 1, 2020, 8:30pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from psgmariner

That must be costing you a fortune.

Not really - I live in Leeds now so pretty handy for both home and quite a lot of away games

Discount on beers would be very welcome however....
Posted by: Epworth Mariner, January 1, 2020, 8:55pm; Reply: 24
Met up with Ollie and his lovely wife ......sat near them at the match today.
They were both singing and clapping........even joined in with “fish.....fish....”
What a difference.......great people and grateful for all the support and welcome they have had.

For once our cat is happy after a town match.......

UTM
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 1, 2020, 10:17pm; Reply: 25

Thank you for saying that. I made the same observation more than once when Jolley was in charge. We simply do not get enough people in the box to create panic and I can see that being one change Ollie will make. The other thing is the poor quality of crosses, they look poor because there are only one or two in the box, when we loaded it up more with two strikers it looked much better. Ollie will be happy with the effort though.

You and me both Ron.....

Every player worked hard not a great game but we did try and pass the ball and had a number of opportunities to get balls into their box, which is promising.

Hendrie, Robson, Gibson,Hess all looked decent and I thought Davis & Waterfall looked better. Feel for Clifton as in his time in the first team he’s been asked to do different roles and clearly needs to find “his game” which he will, if not IH will find it for him.

Glad Rose scored, look what happens when you drop off the defender a bit and don’t go tearing in. Have to say though at times him and Ogbu looked like 8 year olds trying to learn ball control.

All said a home win with a clean sheet in front of a new manager who I reckon would be feeling he’s got a bit of talent to work with and plenty rest can be taken forward.
Posted by: LH, January 1, 2020, 10:46pm; Reply: 26
Pretty dull game but got the result we wanted. Thought Salford looked very competent defensively and the starting front two looked like they’d cause problems on another day. I know it’s unfortunate Cook had to go off injured but it looked quite clear to me that the high, direct balls or playing long into the flanks to 3 lads no taller than 5’9” wasn’t going to work against an organised defence. If we’re playing that tactic you’d prefer Hanson on than Ogbu but obviously that couldn’t happen. Vernam good again today and we looked at our most dangerous with him running at them. Holloway speaks post match about working on an attacking shape and it’s definitely an area we need work.

The last few games has seen us put in some improved performances without getting the rub of the green to get goals and get results. The pendulum swung today - how on earth they missed that chance off the post and how an improved (maybe better for the introduction as late impact?) Ahkeem managed to sneak his effort in I don’t know but we’ve missed that luck in this run.

Some good commitment shown today across the team let’s hope they keep that up.
Posted by: StickfordMariner, January 1, 2020, 10:52pm; Reply: 27
The fishy forum is famous again as Colin Murray on the efl show on quest was reading it after the game so he has just said. If your reading hello Colin 👍🏻
Posted by: toontown, January 1, 2020, 11:55pm; Reply: 28
It was the opposite to recent games really, fairly poor performances, dire entertainment, yet the result was the desperately needed win at last. Was that akheems first goal at BP? Bet he has dreamed of that!

When it came to attacking the lack of confidence showed, really poor decision making on counter attacks, lack of ownership in the oppo box.

A still notable weakness is the persistent tendency to play the ball backwards unnecessarily, in particular back to the keeper only for it to be aimlessly hoofed forward. If the ball is going to be booted forward anyway it may as well be from further forward and by an outfield player with more skill than Macca. That way it might occasionally go to one of our players. Crosses were poor as well.
But more important than any of that was the win, at last!
Posted by: ginnywings, January 2, 2020, 12:15am; Reply: 29
Wasn't Rose's first at BP. He has scored 2 late goals at home, both of them bringing us 3 points if I remember correctly.
Posted by: sydney, January 2, 2020, 12:15am; Reply: 30
Poor Game
Good Result
Rode our Luck when there lad missed the open goal in Front of the pontoon
Come on Town
We owe stages from
The home game
Posted by: sydney, January 2, 2020, 12:16am; Reply: 31
Stags
Posted by: Mayaman, January 2, 2020, 1:34am; Reply: 32
Tons of effort but you can still see that we lack confidence.  Hess, as good a player as he his, turns back too much and should have more pops at goal. Who cares if it goes wide 9 times out of 10?  Hit enough and one will go in.  Davies made some telling tackles.  Wright didn't have a telling game. Made some dodgy tackles, he needs to work on his discipline. I am sure Ian Holloway (is he our manager or am I still drunk from NYE?) will sort that stuff out.  Good to see all the effort paid off.  Pleased for Rose, was it me or did he seem much more composed this week?  Got to stop trying to walk it in the net but at least the ball is at the right end and we got the right result.
Posted by: sam gy, January 2, 2020, 9:33am; Reply: 33
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Clifton does a good job on the defensive side of the game but does not have the ability to look up and see the pass he should make so hopefully that’s something IH will work on..

Not saying there isn’t room for Harry to improve (of course there is - this is only his second proper season as a first team regular).

BUT - I do think Harry has the ability to pick out a pass...there was one great long pass upfield for Vernam in the first half.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 2, 2020, 9:49am; Reply: 34
Quoted from sam gy

Not saying there isn’t room for Harry to improve (of course there is - this is only his second proper season as a first team regular).

BUT - I do think Harry has the ability to pick out a pass...there was one great long pass upfield for Vernam in the first half.

Yeah I agree re that pass but there were a number of occasions when he was “spinning” around not sure where he should play it, some of this will be inexperience, some a lack of confidence and a percentage down to natural ability. Final factor, and possibly a reason why we pass backwards so often is the lack of movement and forward runs from our front three and other midfield players and full backs. Hopefully one of the areas IH will address is getting our front players playing closer together, we need width but we also need two strikers playing closer together down the centre of the pitch.
Posted by: grimsbybrown, January 2, 2020, 9:52am; Reply: 35
Quoted from Mayaman
Tons of effort but you can still see that we lack confidence.  Hess, as good a player as he his, turns back too much and should have more pops at goal. Who cares if it goes wide 9 times out of 10?  Hit enough and one will go in.  Davies made some telling tackles.  Wright didn't have a telling game. Made some dodgy tackles, he needs to work on his discipline. I am sure Ian Holloway (is he our manager or am I still drunk from NYE?) will sort that stuff out.  Good to see all the effort paid off.  Pleased for Rose, was it me or did he seem much more composed this week?  Got to stop trying to walk it in the net but at least the ball is at the right end and we got the right result.

Rose was pretty awful last week but he was asked to play as a lone forward, in a front two he looked more comfortable.  

The problem with 4-3-3 as we play it is that the central forward often joins one of the wide forwards on the wing to work an opening,  This means when the cross comes in unless a midfielder has gambled then they is only one forward in the box, usually covered by at least two defenders.  Our shape should be a box to box goal scoring midfielders dream.
Posted by: toontown, January 2, 2020, 10:07am; Reply: 36
Quoted from sam gy

Harry can see passes, but lacks the passing ability to execute them successfully mostly. Thats how he has been since he started playing in the 1st team. I was hoping his passing would improve and then we would have a real player on our hands but it hasn't. He is still a competent league 2 player with a great engine and enthusiasm though.
Posted by: Abdul19, January 2, 2020, 10:21am; Reply: 37
Quoted from ginnywings
Wasn't Rose's first at BP. He has scored 2 late goals at home, both of them bringing us 3 points if I remember correctly.

Yep, Crawley last season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46160694
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 2, 2020, 10:30am; Reply: 38
Quoted from Mayaman

What you say about Hess is true of many in the team. I don’t know if it is confidence or policy but it simply invites more pressure. Every time the ball goes across or back the opposition charges up onto the player who has just been given it until it finishes with the keeper. He hoofs it, their gorillas win it in the air and we lose possession anyway. It isn’t new though. We used to say the same thing about Hurst’s teams, back passing then a boot downfield for LJL to fight for or later on for Monkhouse to try and nod on.

Hess is a decent player. We could build on him. Clifton for all his energy and ability to do a few good things is one of the worst culprits for poor passes, inaccurate or playing people into trouble. I like him but he has to improve his awareness before he gets the ball not after. Max Wright seems to have gone backwards since he was injured. Silly tackles and apparently afraid to take on his full back. He stands still and plays the ball back or inside to someone already marked, we tip-tap about on the touch line until the ball goes for a throw in or we lose it. Max is great when he’s moving. If he gets down the line and manages to miss the first defender with his cross I could see him making loads of assists.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 2, 2020, 10:50am; Reply: 39

What you say about Hess is true of many in the team. I don’t know if it is confidence or policy but it simply invites more pressure. Every time the ball goes across or back the opposition charges up onto the player who has just been given it until it finishes with the keeper. He hoofs it, their gorillas win it in the air and we lose possession anyway. It isn’t new though. We used to say the same thing about Hurst’s teams, back passing then a boot downfield for LJL to fight for or later on for Monkhouse to try and nod on.

Hess is a decent player. We could build on him. Clifton for all his energy and ability to do a few good things is one of the worst culprits for poor passes, inaccurate or playing people into trouble. I like him but he has to improve his awareness before he gets the ball not after. Max Wright seems to have gone backwards since he was injured. Silly tackles and apparently afraid to take on his full back. He stands still and plays the ball back or inside to someone already marked, we tip-tap about on the touch line until the ball goes for a throw in or we lose it. Max is great when he’s moving. If he gets down the line and manages to miss the first defender with his cross I could see him making loads of assists.

I think we've got a lot of the "right notes" we just need to play them in the right places......
Posted by: Mayaman, January 2, 2020, 11:09am; Reply: 40
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I think we've got a lot of the "right notes" we just need to play them in the right places......

Ollie as the conductor?
Posted by: buckstown, January 2, 2020, 11:57am; Reply: 41
Think a lack of movement has been a feature of the last few months. We pass to team mates standing still and it makes defending easy.
Shouldn't forget this team was free scoring and on the edge of the play offs after a few games so there is potential
Posted by: sam gy, January 2, 2020, 1:41pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from toontown

Harry can see passes, but lacks the passing ability to execute them successfully mostly. Thats how he has been since he started playing in the 1st team. I was hoping his passing would improve and then we would have a real player on our hands but it hasn't. He is still a competent league 2 player with a great engine and enthusiasm though.

There's still time though! It's not as if you stop progressing and improving the moment you hit 21 years old. Time is still on his side.  :)
Posted by: toontown, January 2, 2020, 6:34pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from sam gy

There's still time though! It's not as if you stop progressing and improving the moment you hit 21 years old. Time is still on his side.  :)

Yes good point, he is still pretty young really.
Posted by: smokey111, January 2, 2020, 6:51pm; Reply: 44
I actually only think we need two players to push us on. A dominant shielding midfielder (that would compliment one of the best keepers in div. 2 and what is now looking like a very solid back 4) and Amond (there has to be a version in Conf. North or South).  Asking too much of Clifton at his age to screen the defence and there doesn't appear to be a predatory finisher amongst the 16 strikers we have.
Posted by: smokey111, January 2, 2020, 6:58pm; Reply: 45
......sorry, being greedy. Also, a Jamie Devitt/Embleton type.
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 5:45pm