Reply: 31 - 45
Mayaman
January 2, 2020, 1:34am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,396
Gold Stars: 74
Tons of effort but you can still see that we lack confidence.  Hess, as good a player as he his, turns back too much and should have more pops at goal. Who cares if it goes wide 9 times out of 10?  Hit enough and one will go in.  Davies made some telling tackles.  Wright didn't have a telling game. Made some dodgy tackles, he needs to work on his discipline. I am sure Ian Holloway (is he our manager or am I still drunk from NYE?) will sort that stuff out.  Good to see all the effort paid off.  Pleased for Rose, was it me or did he seem much more composed this week?  Got to stop trying to walk it in the net but at least the ball is at the right end and we got the right result.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 45
sam gy
January 2, 2020, 9:33am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,463
Gold Stars: 54
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Clifton does a good job on the defensive side of the game but does not have the ability to look up and see the pass he should make so hopefully that’s something IH will work on..

Not saying there isn’t room for Harry to improve (of course there is - this is only his second proper season as a first team regular).

BUT - I do think Harry has the ability to pick out a pass...there was one great long pass upfield for Vernam in the first half.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 45
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 2, 2020, 9:49am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,685
Gold Stars: 73
Quoted from sam gy

Not saying there isn’t room for Harry to improve (of course there is - this is only his second proper season as a first team regular).

BUT - I do think Harry has the ability to pick out a pass...there was one great long pass upfield for Vernam in the first half.

Yeah I agree re that pass but there were a number of occasions when he was “spinning” around not sure where he should play it, some of this will be inexperience, some a lack of confidence and a percentage down to natural ability. Final factor, and possibly a reason why we pass backwards so often is the lack of movement and forward runs from our front three and other midfield players and full backs. Hopefully one of the areas IH will address is getting our front players playing closer together, we need width but we also need two strikers playing closer together down the centre of the pitch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 45
grimsbybrown
January 2, 2020, 9:52am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from Mayaman
Tons of effort but you can still see that we lack confidence.  Hess, as good a player as he his, turns back too much and should have more pops at goal. Who cares if it goes wide 9 times out of 10?  Hit enough and one will go in.  Davies made some telling tackles.  Wright didn't have a telling game. Made some dodgy tackles, he needs to work on his discipline. I am sure Ian Holloway (is he our manager or am I still drunk from NYE?) will sort that stuff out.  Good to see all the effort paid off.  Pleased for Rose, was it me or did he seem much more composed this week?  Got to stop trying to walk it in the net but at least the ball is at the right end and we got the right result.

Rose was pretty awful last week but he was asked to play as a lone forward, in a front two he looked more comfortable.  

The problem with 4-3-3 as we play it is that the central forward often joins one of the wide forwards on the wing to work an opening,  This means when the cross comes in unless a midfielder has gambled then they is only one forward in the box, usually covered by at least two defenders.  Our shape should be a box to box goal scoring midfielders dream.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 45
toontown
January 2, 2020, 10:07am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,265
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from sam gy

Harry can see passes, but lacks the passing ability to execute them successfully mostly. Thats how he has been since he started playing in the 1st team. I was hoping his passing would improve and then we would have a real player on our hands but it hasn't. He is still a competent league 2 player with a great engine and enthusiasm though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 45
Abdul19
January 2, 2020, 10:21am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,531
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from ginnywings
Wasn't Rose's first at BP. He has scored 2 late goals at home, both of them bringing us 3 points if I remember correctly.

Yep, Crawley last season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46160694

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 45
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 2, 2020, 10:30am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Mayaman

What you say about Hess is true of many in the team. I don’t know if it is confidence or policy but it simply invites more pressure. Every time the ball goes across or back the opposition charges up onto the player who has just been given it until it finishes with the keeper. He hoofs it, their gorillas win it in the air and we lose possession anyway. It isn’t new though. We used to say the same thing about Hurst’s teams, back passing then a boot downfield for LJL to fight for or later on for Monkhouse to try and nod on.

Hess is a decent player. We could build on him. Clifton for all his energy and ability to do a few good things is one of the worst culprits for poor passes, inaccurate or playing people into trouble. I like him but he has to improve his awareness before he gets the ball not after. Max Wright seems to have gone backwards since he was injured. Silly tackles and apparently afraid to take on his full back. He stands still and plays the ball back or inside to someone already marked, we tip-tap about on the touch line until the ball goes for a throw in or we lose it. Max is great when he’s moving. If he gets down the line and manages to miss the first defender with his cross I could see him making loads of assists.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 45
HertsGTFC
January 2, 2020, 10:50am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,906
Gold Stars: 228

What you say about Hess is true of many in the team. I don’t know if it is confidence or policy but it simply invites more pressure. Every time the ball goes across or back the opposition charges up onto the player who has just been given it until it finishes with the keeper. He hoofs it, their gorillas win it in the air and we lose possession anyway. It isn’t new though. We used to say the same thing about Hurst’s teams, back passing then a boot downfield for LJL to fight for or later on for Monkhouse to try and nod on.

Hess is a decent player. We could build on him. Clifton for all his energy and ability to do a few good things is one of the worst culprits for poor passes, inaccurate or playing people into trouble. I like him but he has to improve his awareness before he gets the ball not after. Max Wright seems to have gone backwards since he was injured. Silly tackles and apparently afraid to take on his full back. He stands still and plays the ball back or inside to someone already marked, we tip-tap about on the touch line until the ball goes for a throw in or we lose it. Max is great when he’s moving. If he gets down the line and manages to miss the first defender with his cross I could see him making loads of assists.

I think we've got a lot of the "right notes" we just need to play them in the right places......

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 45
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.