6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
headingly_mariner
November 30, 2019, 5:57pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
I listened with great joy to Alan Buckley before the game on Tuesday night. He spoke wonderfully about his philosophy on the game, I particularly enjoyed him saying if he was in charge he’d fine Hanson £100 every time he turned his back and started running so we could launch the ball.

He was then asked if he’d been interested in a director of football position and he confirmed he would be. Is this such a silly suggestion? For me it would say we are Grimsby Town and whoever the manager is, this is how we want to play football.
Growing up outside the town whenever I mentioned to people that I supported Town, it was always “they always play good football” “we always get played off the park there” it’s not something people say anymore. We are unlikely to be a top flight side, we are unlikely to win a cup, surely our ambition should be to play football and entertain from our youth team to our first team.

Logged Offline
Private Message
MarinerMart
November 30, 2019, 6:04pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +209
Risking red x's but who cares ... Best post and idea for a long while on here Sir Alan as director of football, I had pleasure of supporting town whilst he was here, and would love to see him involved, do the right thing Mr Fenty.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 53
ginnywings
November 30, 2019, 6:14pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
JF has said they are thinking of going down the route of a director of football to have continuity, and I can't think of anyone better than Sir Alan. Newport have Lawrence and they are performing way better than us with less supporters. Not so keen on their footballing style but the principle is a sound one. I think we should have gone down this route a long time ago personally but the board finally seem to be realising that we can't keep chopping and changing the set up every 12 to 18 months.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 53
Abdul19
November 30, 2019, 6:24pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,514
Gold Stars: 215
What does a Director of Football do? Genuine question.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 53
joe56
November 30, 2019, 6:26pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from headingly_mariner
I listened with great joy to Alan Buckley before the game on Tuesday night. He spoke wonderfully about his philosophy on the game, I particularly enjoyed him saying if he was in charge he’d fine Hanson £100 every time he turned his back and started running so we could launch the ball.

He was then asked if he’d been interested in a director of football position and he confirmed he would be. Is this such a silly suggestion? For me it would say we are Grimsby Town and whoever the manager is, this is how we want to play football.
Growing up outside the town whenever I mentioned to people that I supported Town, it was always “they always play good football” “we always get played off the park there” it’s not something people say anymore. We are unlikely to be a top flight side, we are unlikely to win a cup, surely our ambition should be to play football and entertain from our youth team to our first team.

Twenty minutes uninterrupted chat with Matt Dean in the run up to the kick off. It was the best football conversation I have ever heard on RH, and was indeed a pleasure to listen to. As has already been mentioned on here, his recommendation for the manager’s job was Danny Wilson on account of his experience and past success. He felt we should be very wary of taking on a young, inexperienced manager from non-league, and before anyone accuses him of hypocrisy on the grounds that he himself came to Grimsby from Kettering, the fact is that he took Walsall to promotion and a League Cup semi- final as player- manager before he ever went there. As regards the quality of his Town teams, the football correspondent of the Independent newspaper wrote that Grimsby were the only team in the English game that played in the style of the then all conquering AC Milan. I also remember David Pleat saying on the radio that Paul Groves should have been in the England team. If Lennie Lawrence can do a job for Newport, you’d have thought that Alan could make a useful contribution at Grimsby.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 53
Madeleymariner

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,047
Gold Stars: 49
We dont need a Director of Football, but we do need Buckley at the training ground for a few weeks teaching them how to pass and move.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 53
Swansea_Mariner
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,430
Gold Stars: 63
He seems the perfect fit to me, managed over 1000 games (just like Lennie Lawrence), lives locally, available, knowlegable, clear footballing philosophy.

If we're looking at creating long term continuity away from day to day management who better are we likely to get.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 53
joe56
November 30, 2019, 6:30pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 3
Oops! For some reason, the quote from Headingley Mariner didn’t appear in inverted commas as it should have done. Obviously, my reply is the bottom para.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 53
Wrawby_Mariner
November 30, 2019, 6:41pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +50 / -13
Approval: +862
Gold Stars: 6
I think if you look at international football, all of the top nations have a footballing philosophy. The Germans will play the same formation from the youth teams right up to the first team, As do the French to Spanish and now do England.

Having a clear footballing philosophy from the ground up prepares you for players for the first team. Having somebody to oversee that is the way the modern game is going both at club and international level. I can think of nobody better to do that than Alan Buckley, not just because he knows the club and he is local, but he has that wealth of experience he can aid somebody.

A really good example of how this has been done is in Northern Ireland. Joe McAree at Dungannon Swift was a player, manager and now oversees the whole footballing operations of the club, making sure all youth teams play in exactly the same way as the first team, because you never know when these players may be called upon.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 8 - 53
pen penfras
November 30, 2019, 6:46pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Abdul19
What does a Director of Football do? Genuine question.

I'm not sure. At premiership clubs, they seem to be in charge of which players get bought, which seems like a daft idea that the manager doesn't choose who plays for him.

If it's to do with recommending a new manager and Danny Wilson is the best idea he has, then I think he's a bit too out of touch with the current game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 53
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sir Alan Buckley

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.