6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Bigdog
December 2, 2019, 7:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
I'd like to see AB as an honarary member of the GTFC boardroom if the takeover happens. I wouldn't like him to get involved with the dying embers of a long standing regime, he'd be much more useful as part of a fresh start. More of a footballing advisory role rather than a hands on Director Of Football. Some of his principles still hold weight today and whatever you say about him, he's a shrewd operator and extremely good at man management, not just players, he does have a gift of knowing what makes people tick. One to one he's very engaging and he has the knack of not saying too many words, but when he speaks, people listen. We need more football people on the board in the future..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 53
December 3, 2019, 6:33pm
Guest User
Quoted from Bigdog
I'd like to see AB as an honarary member of the GTFC boardroom if the takeover happens. I wouldn't like him to get involved with the dying embers of a long standing regime, he'd be much more useful as part of a fresh start. More of a footballing advisory role rather than a hands on Director Of Football. Some of his principles still hold weight today and whatever you say about him, he's a shrewd operator and extremely good at man management, not just players, he does have a gift of knowing what makes people tick. One to one he's very engaging and he has the knack of not saying too many words, but when he speaks, people listen. We need more football people on the board in the future..

Good idea.

One would have to be exceptionally arrogant/stupid/footballing-wise to imagine you knew more about the game than a guy who managed over 1,000 FL games.
And never got relegated.
Reply: 51 - 53
grimsbybrown
December 3, 2019, 6:57pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 2
An honorary board role would make sense - good to have the voice of a true football person at that level of oversight in the club.

Less sure on Director of Football, at least I would think that is a strategic and long term planning role and may not match Buckley’s skill set.  I don’t know him well enough to comment.

The wider challenge for.building a pass and move ethos throughout the club would be whether we could recruit (and hold on to) the kind of youth talent that has the technical ability to cope with and play through the intensity of pressing we see in league 1/2 football today.

I think our present to medium term reality is that we certainly can't afford to buy that talent  in and getting a reputation for playing young and rising players might be out best way of competing with the big academies and a system that is stacked against clubs like ours.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 53
WOZOFGRIMSBY
December 3, 2019, 8:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
Buckley has god like status with the majority on here I'd say and although that was tarnished somewhat with his 3rd stint, we can all remember those halcyon days.

Now, what I wouldn't want to see is him made a scapegoat when things don't go to plan for a manager by the board (sic) and the blame is firmly laid at his door. The man should be given the front door key to the findus/stones/youngs and be used in a role by the club for supporters to regale in his life in football.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 53
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sir Alan Buckley

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.