MuddyWaters
November 30, 2019, 8:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,240
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from moosey_club
My only gripe with A.B is that he has almost become a parody of himself, when you listen to his co-commentary he is so pro "pass and move" its almost to the detriment of anything else..like scoring goals for instance.
There have been games where we have comfortably won and his post match comments would be almost derogatory because the goals weren't fashioned from pass and move style.
Even when the opposition have the ball and passing backwards, sideways in their own half he oozes enthusiasm just because they are keeping the ball even if they are posing no threat at all...."they played the better football"....but they lost 4-0 Alan??

His part one team for me was sensational, maybe because of what we had been served by Lyons and Roberts before him but that football was his best for me,  his part two team very succesful, by part 3 his way was not suited to that era but he wouldnt budge from it.

If his only contribution was to increase off the ball movement by 20% then he could be Lord God of all Creation for me. It’s the aspect of the game that virtually every team we’ve played this season has been better than us. Green and Rose have been particularly poor and our midfield have been pretty woeful in making supporting runs.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 53
moosey_club
November 30, 2019, 8:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from MuddyWaters

If his only contribution was to increase off the ball movement by 20% then he could be Lord God of all Creation for me. It’s the aspect of the game that virtually every team we’ve played this season has been better than us. Green and Rose have been particularly poor and our midfield have been pretty woeful in making supporting runs.

but is that something that can be coached into players at this level ? that to a certain point comes naturally to players, Podge is one of those players that reads where the ball is going to go, that isnt coached. I am not saying we dont need some assistance but just as a Director of Football and a setter of our philosophy then pass and move for pass and moves sake isn't what anyone wants....pass and move with purpose however... YES please.

Just use the spanking new portakabin as a cinema and show the highlights video from Buckley Part 1, Roly, John and all and say right lads...as of now thats what we want.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 53
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 30, 2019, 8:57pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from moosey_club
My only gripe with A.B is that he has almost become a parody of himself, when you listen to his co-commentary he is so pro "pass and move" its almost to the detriment of anything else..like scoring goals for instance.
There have been games where we have comfortably won and his post match comments would be almost derogatory because the goals weren't fashioned from pass and move style.
Even when the opposition have the ball and passing backwards, sideways in their own half he oozes enthusiasm just because they are keeping the ball even if they are posing no threat at all...."they played the better football"....but they lost 4-0 Alan??

His part one team for me was sensational, maybe because of what we had been served by Lyons and Roberts before him but that football was his best for me,  his part two team very succesful, by part 3 his way was not suited to that era but he wouldnt budge from it.

I don’t think there was much wrong with his ideas in his Mk3 days, it was more that he was out of touch with things like the transfer market and some of his signings were therefore pretty dire. They were incapable of playing any sort of football let alone “pass and move”. That situation will not have improved and I cannot see any players responding well to an old fella on the training ground telling them how to play. So his influence would presumably be with the coach as an adviser on the playing side and as a rallying point for fans, especially those who have been absent.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 53
Davec
November 30, 2019, 8:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,442
Gold Stars: 42
I would welcome back Buckley in some capacity but not as director of football, probably more of a consultant/advisor like Lennie Lawrence is at Newport.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 53
Swansea_Mariner
November 30, 2019, 9:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
I think Director of Football can mean literally anything. For our particular definition see Fenty at the AGM, why couldn't Buckley fulfil that criteria Davec?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 53
Teestogreen
November 30, 2019, 9:58pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -152
Gold Stars: 23
It would be great, if the Board could approach Sir Alan and ask him who he would like to be team coach - for Sir Alan to be able 'pass on' his football philosophy (and help) that 'team coach'.

This 'Sir Alan team' would then need to appoint 'people' to scout games in all parts of the country to bring to their attention players, likely to fit their criteria for playing - prior to signing them. The 'scouting people' would need to be given training by Sir Alan for the 'type' of players needed.

'I should volunteer for the North West'  .

Who is responsible for signing players now? Is it done purely off the internet - players without clubs?

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 53
RichMariner
November 30, 2019, 10:22pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
I have mixed views on Buckley's third spell.

Looking back, his squad had very little quality in it. I remember us playing a 5-3-1-1 formation with Till just behind North. It was quite radical for Buckley who, as we all know, stuck to 4-4-2. But he got the best out of a very average bunch of players - and I remember a game against Barnet which we won 5-0 and we had Bennett, Hegarty, North and Taylor on the pitch. The future looked good.

I also remember us playing Chester off the park but Kevin Ellison had a worldie and he alone beat us 3-1 that day. A few hours later and Buckley was sacked. In the context of how we'd started that season, and how we finished the previous, it perhaps wasn't a surprise. But on the back of that particular performance, it was harsh in the extreme as he certainly had the players playing for him.

I don't really know what a DoF does, but it's clear this football club needs to re-establish an identity. I've been doing a bit of work recently for my company, helping them define their vision statement. Town could do with one, so that everyone - whether you're on the board, in the stands, on the pitch, coaching the youth teams... we all know where we're headed, what we want to achieve and how we're going to do it.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 26 - 53
promotion plaice
December 1, 2019, 12:27am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 53
golfer
December 1, 2019, 8:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,428
Gold Stars: 116
GIVE HIM A JOB. FULL STOP-  P.S.  what time will you be round to look after the grandkids Alan-supper in the oven.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 53
buckstown
December 1, 2019, 8:50am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,180
Gold Stars: 79
Sir Alan could be a club ambassador easily but not Director of Football
He’s been out of the professional game for two long and his later transfer dealings were awful. In fact his dealings anywhere other than GTFC were poor
Remember he thought Haywood and Hope were going to be good
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 53
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sir Alan Buckley

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.