Reply: 40 - 53
marinerdazza
December 1, 2019, 8:37pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,841
Gold Stars: 82
I would love him to be associated with the club again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 53
devon mariner
December 1, 2019, 9:04pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +111
Isn't this a lovely little Buckley lovefest.  I appreciate what Alan did for our club back in the day but he hasn't managed at  this level for 11 years and unfortunately in my view that would mean that he's probably past his sell by date. I like the idea of a director of football to bring continuity throughout the club, whether changing players or management, but do feel that we really need someone who has more up to date experience.
Not dissing AB at all but the past should be left in the past and we should be looking to the future now.

Forever Black and White
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 53
promotion plaice
December 1, 2019, 9:17pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,026
Gold Stars: 194
Quoted from dicko995
As above, with you all the way Pete

Don't you just love it when it has gone to the next page  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 53
Maringer
December 1, 2019, 10:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,471
Gold Stars: 185
Regarding the Buckley Mk III era, I think it failed because the game had moved on so much in the years since he had last managed. Specifically, players have become much bigger, quicker and fitter since the Mk II days. Something he didn't seem to understand and in the Mk III era, we were often outmuscled and outpaced before we could get close to playing better football than the opposition.

Look at footage of the halcyon days of Rees, Gilbert, Childs, Woods etc and you'll see some fantastic football, but you'll also see vast open spaces which weren't covered by the athleticism of modern day players.

Ultimately, I don't think lower division footballers have the ability or the time and space to play as the early Buckley teams did. At the top level, the standard of play can be incredible but the only thing that has really dripped down to the 4th division is the increased fitness and athleticism of the modern era.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 53
toontown
December 1, 2019, 10:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,265
Gold Stars: 70
Definitely agree about the vast open spaces of Buckley mk 1 era maringer. Loads of times on highlights u would see great swathes of space down the sides of pitches that wouldn't be available now. And that was when teams all played 442 so should have had more cover wide than nowadays. The arhleticism of players nowadays doesnt allow that sort of space so easily and often
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 53
rancido
December 2, 2019, 11:59am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,560
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from grimsby pete
Sir Alan should have 2 roles,

1.  To advise  AL  its up to AL how much he listens to him but his advice would be helpful.

2.  To sit in on the interviews of future managers and advise the boards on his thoughts.

What would concern me in point 2 is that AB would view any applicant on his own playing ethos and things have moved on a lot since he last managed.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 53
rancido
December 2, 2019, 12:31pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,560
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from grimsby pete
Sir Alan should have 2 roles,

1.  To advise  AL  its up to AL how much he listens to him but his advice would be helpful.

2.  To sit in on the interviews of future managers and advise the boards on his thoughts.

What would concern me in point 2 is that AB would view any applicant on his own playing ethos and things have moved on a lot since he last managed.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 53
SomeSanity
December 2, 2019, 4:27pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +855
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from rancido

Keeping it on the deck, passing and moving keeps the likes of  Man City and Barcelona up there so maybe not that much.

For the record, Lennie Lawrence last managed in 2005, before Buckley III and is having an effect with Newport. Regardless of whether it be Buckley or anyone else and their job title, someone to guide a young manager could be what is needed.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 53
Swansea_Mariner
December 2, 2019, 7:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from SomeSanity

For the record, Lennie Lawrence last managed in 2005, before Buckley III and is having an effect with Newport. Regardless of whether it be Buckley or anyone else and their job title, someone to guide a young manager could be what is needed.

Exactly, a modern coach with modern techniques would be doing all the day to day work just as happens at Newport.

As far as I'm concerned in a role like this you'd want the most experienced candidate you could find, someone with decades in the game.

Doesn't  have to be Buckley but surely you'd want someone of a similar ilk.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 53
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sir Alan Buckley

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.