7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
November 27, 2019, 5:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
I am surprised more posters haven't commented on last night's figure of less than 2500 home fans.

I was at the Brentford game in 1969 when 1,833 (I think) turned up, so not many more there last night considering most/all of them will be season ticket holders.

I can't imagine we had many season ticket holders in 1968/69 so probably more pay on the gate fans attended then.

That must be a further worry for the board? Once interest plummets to those levels, it is difficult to get it back.

Following that shocking 68/69 season Lawrie Mac arrived bringing a new positivity. He was a one-off obviously, but we could do with a lift from a charismatic, larger than life character who might spark us into life. The takeover seems as far away as ever, so sadly it won't happen down that route, so a new manager would have to be the answer.

Just got to find one.
Private Message
Les Brechin
November 27, 2019, 5:36pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,689
Gold Stars: 174
How many season ticket holders do we actually have this season?

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 65
MuddyWaters
November 27, 2019, 5:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
I am surprised more posters haven't commented on last night's figure of less than 2500 home fans.

I was at the Brentford game in 1969 when 1,833 (I think) turned up, so not many more there last night considering most/all of them will be season ticket holders.

I can't imagine we had many season ticket holders in 1968/69 so probably more pay on the gate fans attended then.

That must be a further worry for the board? Once interest plummets to those levels, it is difficult to get it back.

Following that shocking 68/69 season Lawrie Mac arrived bringing a new positivity. He was a one-off obviously, but we could do with a lift from a charismatic, larger than life character who might spark us into life. The takeover seems as far away as ever, so sadly it won't happen down that route, so a new manager would have to be the answer.

Just got to find one.

The two Newport Cup games were dire, I don't think anyone can deny that but the two performances since have been much better bearing in mind our opponent's form/league positions. If you also factor in the various illness/loans/injuries then we have seen signs of a recovery. In terms of attendance, I didn't expect many to pay on the gate last night but it will be the players and the results that see gate increases not a big name manager because we won't appoint a big name manager.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 65
lew chaterleys lover
November 27, 2019, 5:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from MuddyWaters

The two Newport Cup games were dire, I don't think anyone can deny that but the two performances since have been much better bearing in mind our opponent's form/league positions. If you also factor in the various illness/loans/injuries then we have seen signs of a recovery. In terms of attendance, I didn't expect many to pay on the gate last night but it will be the players and the results that see gate increases not a big name manager because we won't appoint a big name manager.

Not a big name, that is very unlikely, but a new manager who will give the club a lift. I am not a fan of those tainted by the previous regime taking over.

Our slight improvement has been welcomed, but the team would have to go on one hell of a run to have the punters flocking back to BP.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 65
Bigdog
November 27, 2019, 5:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Les Brechin
How many season ticket holders do we actually have this season?

Less than 2500 home fans for a home league game should be a massive wake up call for everybody, the board, the most loyal of fans, potential investors. No excuses, Champions League, the weather, six weeks to Xmas, results, performances, i-Follow, blah, blah, blah. It's completely unacceptable..Only a couple of hundred more than FGR on the same night and they get ripped to shreds on here for their tinpot support.

Home attendances are the true barometer of where a club is.. not the bank balance or profit and loss account. Was going to say balance sheet too, but that's as fooked as the waning interest in the club..

This club is on life support, when is everyone going to wake up to the fact?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 65
FishOutOfWater
November 27, 2019, 6:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Bigdog

Less than 2500 home fans for a home league game should be a massive wake up call for everybody, the board, the most loyal of fans, potential investors. No excuses, Champions League, the weather, six weeks to Xmas, results, performances, i-Follow, blah, blah, blah. It's completely unacceptable..Only a couple of hundred more than FGR on the same night and they get ripped to shreds on here for their tinpot support.

Home attendances are the true barometer of where a club is.. not the bank balance or profit and loss account. Was going to say balance sheet too, but that's as fooked as the waning interest in the club..

Just my opinion but it's more or less out of our hands.... only one man has the chance to make those big decisions that will determine the future of our club
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 65
MuddyWaters
November 27, 2019, 6:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Bigdog

You raise valid points Bigdog, but the simple truth is that we can do eff all about it. I'm delighted we still have a club to support, albeit that it's skin & bone and in need of a money transfusion.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 65
Rik e B
November 27, 2019, 6:04pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
If in doubt, blame Brexit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 65
ska face
November 27, 2019, 6:05pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,558
Gold Stars: 839
At £300 a year, a fan would have to buy a season ticket for 50 years just to cover the £15,000 the club poured down the drain through Nick Dale’s antics in the Port Vale fixture.

The fans are not the problem.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 65
TownSNAFU5
November 27, 2019, 6:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,851
Gold Stars: 42
Arguably, there is more a catalyst for change at the top (or by the Board) if fans do NOT turn-out.  Sad but probably true.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 65
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Last night's attendance

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.