Bigdog
November 21, 2019, 12:02am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Mayaman
A decent assessment of the team by Maringer for sure.  It's bloody frustrating though.  All the players there have proved they can be effective as a team in the opening games of the season.  Often showing the spirit needed to come back from behind. Exeter, of course, was the prime example.  We played the ball along the deck and made them look mediocre at best.  And, we only used Hanson's aerial threat when needed.  I think he's much more effective at getting the ball to feet and holding it up like old Tony Rees used to do (albeit less skillfully).   Will a consistent team produce more consistent performances?  Take a look at Ogbu.  You can see he has quality hidden somewhere in there, it needs unveiling.

Players' lack of confidence in the project and lack of confidence in themselves is playing a huge part in our downward spiral imho..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 24
arryarryarry
November 21, 2019, 12:10am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,945
Gold Stars: 113
Speaking to someone I regard as "in the know" told me that a number of the players weren't fans of MJ, on that showing tonight it didn't look like they were trying that hard for AL and his reaction after the game looked to me like he knows his time might be up soon.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 24
Rik e B
November 21, 2019, 1:23am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Yep they seem to be continuing as they were with no 'new' manager bounce.

For all those attacking Rose and Pollock let's just remember this their first real season as first team pros, I think you being extremely harsh and fickle too.

The morale and confidence of the entire squad is at rock bottom with nobody looking like they really know what to do so you can't expect young teenagers in their first handful of senior appearances to drag the rest of the team kicking and screaming up to scratch.

When we were doing well everybody was saying how amazing Pollock is and Rose should be involved more he our most exciting player etc etc and everyone was gutted when he got injured saying we need him.

In Rose's case only just back from injury and being thrown straight to the wolves.

Shaun Pearson had no pace and he carved out a solid career and I can guarantee if let's say we get a new man in and performances and results improve and do do the youngsters as they now in a better environment then you lot will be saying they the best thing since sliced bread again.

Pollock only just turned eighteen, he no Ryan Bennett in my opinion but could go on to carve a career in the lower leagues. He could totally fail and fall by the wayside - it's so early days at minute.

I got tickets for Northampton expecting a buzz and a bounce but it seems there still bad air with Limbrick about, looks like a clean sweep and totally new management team needed (barring part of the furniture Mooro).

I'd also agree the injuries more like politics and there probably a lot of division in the squad.

We got some good player's here, everybody was crowing how great they all are during our purple patch so I'm sure with a rocket up their ar$e and a bit of motivation and cohesion we can get something like back on track soon.

The budgets been blown and it's now one out and one in, if we paying Hanson and Green 2 or 3k and have to fill the squad out with kids don't attack the kids as the first port of call is all I'd say.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 24
Tommy
November 21, 2019, 2:07pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Some crazy criticism/assessments of Mattie Pollock on here.

The lad is going to play at a higher level than we're likely to play at in the next 10 years.

He might not be the quickest but lack of pace hasn't held back other centre-backs who are dominant and have a good reading of the game. Plenty of examples out there.

One poster has said he looks overweight??? What? Normally the problem people harp on about with young players is that they're too lightweight and will get bullied. Here we have a youngster who can mix it physically with experienced strong guys, and people reckon he's overweight? Nonsense in my opinion.

Regards the comparison with Bennett. It's hard to say because Bennett had managers showing faith in him and giving him runs of games in the team. Pollock has only been used sparingly despite, in my opinion, being ready and good enough to play now. But there are one or two people within the Club who thought (almost a year ago) that MP is further along in his development than RB was at the same age.

Time will tell, quite obviously. But let's not start jumping on his back and writing him off in terms of what level he might reach, after playing less than 10 games.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 24
RichMariner
November 21, 2019, 4:29pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
Our squad, once again, just doesn't look balanced.

MJ put all his eggs in the 4-3-3 basket, expecting his full backs to provide the width, hence Wright being the only player in the entire squad capable of giving genuine attacking width.

In my mind, both Cook and Ogbu would choose to play 'in the hole' behind the strikers. That is their natural position. Anywhere else and they're 'doing a job'. I'm not surprised neither have got into the groove. Cook isn't a central midfielder and he's not a striker. Ogbu has played all across the front line, but not in behind because, basically, we don't have that role.

Hess, Clifton and Whitehouse are workhorses, maybe with Whitehouse being the one with the licence to get forward. Robson looks the most natural attacking centre mid in the squad.

Defence, bizarrely, I'm broadly happy with. Plenty of strength, height and experience in the middle, Hendrie was great last season so we know what he's capable of and he's versatile. Hewitt started really well at right back. Gibson, while not pulling up any trees, is better than Ring (who's the only below-par defender for this level in my opinion).

No issues with the keeper.

The problem seems to be that the players don't have a clue what they're meant to be doing. Is Rose an out-and-out striker, or a wide striker in a front 3? Is that where Green wants to play, wide in a three?

We lined up with two strikers last night but Green and Rose didn't seem to play like a traditional front two and were often found very wide.

Formation-wise, we're a mess. For all we know, AL might want to play 4-4-2 but with this squad, and with the injuries we have, it's just not possible. Hate saying it but we can't even get back to basics because all we have are a bunch of central midfielders, a couple of players who are neither midfielders nor strikers, and strikers being asked to play out wide.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 24 - 24
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A club broken from top to bottom

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.