lew chaterleys lover
November 20, 2019, 10:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
He is a decent prospect but not in the same class as Bennett. Anybody who thinks Pollock is better than Bennett was is probably one of those who thought Rob Atkinson was.

Bennett was slightly built and grew in stature, both physically and mentally. Buckley described him as a thoroughbred.

Pollock is a bog standard centre half, with no pace, no skill and is already looking too heavy at 18. He is wholehearted, which is a great quality,  but I like professional players to have more than that.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 24
KingstonMariner
November 20, 2019, 10:53pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

Let’s not waste time on individual players. It is patently obvious that the players have taken zero notice of Limbrick so he is not going to do anything of a job with them? Were those players really injured or were these political injuries? I thought Limbrick might be different enough from MJ to make a difference but apparently not. Even JF must be pig-sick tonight.

We are back on the treadmill and the sooner we get someone with some experience and strength of character with a handle on tactics, the better. Tomorrow is nearly.too late.

I was thinking the same about injuries.

I had zero confidence that we were going to be any better tonight than before Jolley left. Maybe if it was just Moore in charge it might have been different.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 24
Maringer
November 20, 2019, 11:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Bennett was not slightly built when he joined us! He was a big, strong lad from the off and was perfectly capable of the physical side of things even when young. Still can't believe that Ipswich released him, truth be told.

I'd say he was definitely a lot better than Pollock who looks a little lacking in pace for higher level football to me (League One possibly his limit, but that's no shame), but then I thought Bennett would never get higher than the Championship so I was wrong there.

A slight concern is that too much pressure might be put on the shoulders of a young lad who is barely 18. He may be capable of dealing with it, but it's not ideal and it should be the senior professionals who are the ones who work to turn things around.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 24
Bigdog
November 20, 2019, 11:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162

Bennett was slightly built and grew in stature, both physically and mentally. Buckley described him as a thoroughbred.

Pollock is a bog standard centre half, with no pace, no skill and is already looking too heavy at 18. He is wholehearted, which is a great quality,  but I like professional players to have more than that.

My feelings too I'm afraid. Was wading through treacle trying to get back for their first goal tonight. If we get a chance to cash in on him in the next year or so, I think we should take the money and reinvest. Can't see him going beyond being a League One regular at best due to his lack of pace. A player's quick or he's not. Great strength and good in the air, but will get exposed at a higher level..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 24
Maringer
November 20, 2019, 11:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
What would we do for another player good enough to be a League One regular now? We've got a couple already but more would be gratefully received!

Crazy stuff that an 18 year old playing in a struggling team is getting such criticism. The comments from people at half-time in the main match thread indicated he was doing well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 24
lew chaterleys lover
November 20, 2019, 11:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from Maringer
What would we do for another player good enough to be a League One regular now? We've got a couple already but more would be gratefully received!

Crazy stuff that an 18 year old playing in a struggling team is getting such criticism. The comments from people at half-time in the main match thread indicated he was doing well.

I imagine Bigdog was thinking of the future. Pollock isn't good enough for our team at the moment, and we are a poor league 2 side, let alone league 1.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 24
ginnywings
November 20, 2019, 11:25pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
First viewing of Town this season for me and nothing has changed. We are still as inept as ever and I've seen nothing that makes me want to start attending again. I'm really gobsmacked at how poor we are, with players not being able to perform the most basic of skills. Passing, control, set pieces, running off the ball and defending are all terrible. How did we end up in a situation where a game that could be so financially lucrative, sees us trying to level the scores with strikers of the calibre of Rose and Cardwell?

The people running the club ought to be ashamed of what we have become, but clearly they are not because we keep on being just as pathetic season after season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 24
louth_in_the_south
November 20, 2019, 11:28pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +5,549
Gold Stars: 94
Whoever Fenty chooses has to be given ££ in January. Simple as that . Forget your £200 grand back next year please JF because this club neeeds a serious shot in the arm !

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 24
Bigdog
November 20, 2019, 11:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Maringer

I thought Mattie did ok tonight too and was one of our better performers, but it wasn't the point I was making..

Ring, Whitehouse, Hewitt if played in midfield, Rose, Cardwell and Cook are an ineffective use of budget though. If we've spent our seasonal budget already, seriously, who's going to take any one of these off our hands in January without us having to pay a significant part of their wages so we can get one or two in? Our only option may be to cash in on Pollock with us already having Ohman, Waterfall and Davis..

I do believe that JF believes that we've got a 7 to 12th budget, but I just can't believe we have. He won't know himself for sure until he gets the figures from the EFL at the end of the season. Or is it that we have to pay a bit more to tempt the more desperate players to train at Cheapside and play at BP? Something's amiss somewhere. We always seem to have a slower team player for player than the oppo and always seem to be less creative or composed..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 24
Mayaman
November 20, 2019, 11:44pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,259
Gold Stars: 71
A decent assessment of the team by Maringer for sure.  It's bloody frustrating though.  All the players there have proved they can be effective as a team in the opening games of the season.  Often showing the spirit needed to come back from behind. Exeter, of course, was the prime example.  We played the ball along the deck and made them look mediocre at best.  And, we only used Hanson's aerial threat when needed.  I think he's much more effective at getting the ball to feet and holding it up like old Tony Rees used to do (albeit less skillfully).   Will a consistent team produce more consistent performances?  Take a look at Ogbu.  You can see he has quality hidden somewhere in there, it needs unveiling.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 24
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A club broken from top to bottom

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.