3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
November 20, 2019, 10:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,690
Gold Stars: 236
The only good thing about this club is the fans.

The board should be ashamed that they have overseen a decade and half of decline; massive turnover of players and managers have resulted in us being worse than when we started.

You would have thought a 6 year spell in non-league would have woken the board up, but of course not. Same solutions to the same problems resulting in the status quo.

Tonight we have had the spectacle of commentators on TV taking the p**s because we couldn't string 2 passes together.

Our great hopes are Rose, who we have spent a lot of time and energy on who is average at very best, and Pollock who could not trap a bag of cement. His only quality being he is big for his age.

Time effort and money spent on getting us to a worse position to when we started. The same board still reigns and thinks it is not too bad. I don't know how they sleep at night.
Private Message
KingstonMariner
November 20, 2019, 10:13pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Think you're being unkind on Pollock.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 24
lew chaterleys lover
November 20, 2019, 10:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,690
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Realistic. A shame, but true.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 24
PoutonStepover
November 20, 2019, 10:20pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +107
Gold Stars: 8

I second this...

He will go on to play at a very high level, imo he’s better than Ryan Bennet at 18...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 24
KingstonMariner
November 20, 2019, 10:25pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from PoutonStepover

I second this...

He will go on to play at a very high level, imo he’s better than Ryan Bennet at 18...

I wouldn't go that far. He reads the game well, has some craft as well but hasn't got Bennet's touch. From the limited amount I've seen admittedly.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 24
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 20, 2019, 10:32pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23

Let’s not waste time on individual players. It is patently obvious that the players have taken zero notice of Limbrick so he is not going to do anything of a job with them? Were those players really injured or were these political injuries? I thought Limbrick might be different enough from MJ to make a difference but apparently not. Even JF must be pig-sick tonight.

We are back on the treadmill and the sooner we get someone with some experience and strength of character with a handle on tactics, the better. Tomorrow is nearly.too late.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 24
toontown
November 20, 2019, 10:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,267
Gold Stars: 70
Not as good as Bennett but highly likely to be playing at a higher level than town fairly soon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 24
Rodley Mariner
November 20, 2019, 10:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
He is a decent prospect but not in the same class as Bennett. Anybody who thinks Pollock is better than Bennett was is probably one of those who thought Rob Atkinson was.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 24
Maringer
November 20, 2019, 10:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,467
Gold Stars: 185
A dismal team performance? Let's pick out the teenager for criticism!

I wasn't able to watch tonight but sounds like that was a bit of luck on my part.
Ultimatel, I think we've got enough decent players that a reasonable manager can keep us up this season without too many problems.

McKeown a good keeper, Waterfall a proven defender, Davis has shown he's decent when on form and fit, same goes for Hendrie. Pollock a good young prospect, Ohman decent when he's fit (which admittedly, isn't often). Gibson a decent full-back at this level, Hewitt played well early in the season at full-back. Not convinced by Ring. That's the basis for a perfectly capable defence.

Midfield is a little trickier. Hessenthaler good, Clifton has shown in the past he can do a good job but is out of sorts and hasn't played regularly enough to get going. Whitehouse started the season well but has dropped away, probably not fully recovered from his injury. Cook did a decent job in there in some games, Wright looks a prospect but can he avoid getting kicked out of games and stay fit? Robson has had the odd good game but anonymous in others.

Up front, Hanson is still a beast aerially and will cause serious problems to any team in this division given decent delivery. We've just not played to him and supported him properly, however. Green is hugely experienced but there's something not right there as he's been poor in most of the games I've seen. Rose doesn't look a starter yet but has something to offer off the bench against a tiring defence. Cardwell offers hard work but little else. Vernam ineffective too often, Cook not really a striker. Ogbu has plenty of ability, but I'm really not sure just what position he's expected to play much of the time.

Ultimately, half of the problem is the number of times we've tried to play with 5 defenders when we simply don't have players who can do a job a wing-back or defenders who can pass it out from the back. Stick to a flat back 4 (with full-backs playing as full-back)  and mess around with midfield and we'll hopefully stop shipping stupid goals.

It doesn't seem likely that Limbrick will be the answer so hopefully, for once, Fenty will pick a manager capable of doing the job and moving us forward.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 24
grimsby pete
November 20, 2019, 10:42pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
Its very unfair to criticise a 18 year old playing in a poor team.

New blood required at the top and in the team.

Come on Fenty get the next appointment right.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 24
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A club broken from top to bottom

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.