Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 20, 2019, 10:07pm
The only good thing about this club is the fans.

The board should be ashamed that they have overseen a decade and half of decline; massive turnover of players and managers have resulted in us being worse than when we started.

You would have thought a 6 year spell in non-league would have woken the board up, but of course not. Same solutions to the same problems resulting in the status quo.

Tonight we have had the spectacle of commentators on TV taking the p**s because we couldn't string 2 passes together.

Our great hopes are Rose, who we have spent a lot of time and energy on who is average at very best, and Pollock who could not trap a bag of cement. His only quality being he is big for his age.

Time effort and money spent on getting us to a worse position to when we started. The same board still reigns and thinks it is not too bad. I don't know how they sleep at night.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 20, 2019, 10:13pm; Reply: 1
Think you're being unkind on Pollock.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 20, 2019, 10:19pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Realistic. A shame, but true.
Posted by: PoutonStepover, November 20, 2019, 10:20pm; Reply: 3

I second this...

He will go on to play at a very high level, imo he’s better than Ryan Bennet at 18...
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 20, 2019, 10:25pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from PoutonStepover

I second this...

He will go on to play at a very high level, imo he’s better than Ryan Bennet at 18...

I wouldn't go that far. He reads the game well, has some craft as well but hasn't got Bennet's touch. From the limited amount I've seen admittedly.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 20, 2019, 10:32pm; Reply: 5

Let’s not waste time on individual players. It is patently obvious that the players have taken zero notice of Limbrick so he is not going to do anything of a job with them? Were those players really injured or were these political injuries? I thought Limbrick might be different enough from MJ to make a difference but apparently not. Even JF must be pig-sick tonight.

We are back on the treadmill and the sooner we get someone with some experience and strength of character with a handle on tactics, the better. Tomorrow is nearly.too late.
Posted by: toontown, November 20, 2019, 10:34pm; Reply: 6
Not as good as Bennett but highly likely to be playing at a higher level than town fairly soon.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, November 20, 2019, 10:35pm; Reply: 7
He is a decent prospect but not in the same class as Bennett. Anybody who thinks Pollock is better than Bennett was is probably one of those who thought Rob Atkinson was.
Posted by: Maringer, November 20, 2019, 10:38pm; Reply: 8
A dismal team performance? Let's pick out the teenager for criticism!

I wasn't able to watch tonight but sounds like that was a bit of luck on my part.
Ultimatel, I think we've got enough decent players that a reasonable manager can keep us up this season without too many problems.

McKeown a good keeper, Waterfall a proven defender, Davis has shown he's decent when on form and fit, same goes for Hendrie. Pollock a good young prospect, Ohman decent when he's fit (which admittedly, isn't often). Gibson a decent full-back at this level, Hewitt played well early in the season at full-back. Not convinced by Ring. That's the basis for a perfectly capable defence.

Midfield is a little trickier. Hessenthaler good, Clifton has shown in the past he can do a good job but is out of sorts and hasn't played regularly enough to get going. Whitehouse started the season well but has dropped away, probably not fully recovered from his injury. Cook did a decent job in there in some games, Wright looks a prospect but can he avoid getting kicked out of games and stay fit? Robson has had the odd good game but anonymous in others.

Up front, Hanson is still a beast aerially and will cause serious problems to any team in this division given decent delivery. We've just not played to him and supported him properly, however. Green is hugely experienced but there's something not right there as he's been poor in most of the games I've seen. Rose doesn't look a starter yet but has something to offer off the bench against a tiring defence. Cardwell offers hard work but little else. Vernam ineffective too often, Cook not really a striker. Ogbu has plenty of ability, but I'm really not sure just what position he's expected to play much of the time.

Ultimately, half of the problem is the number of times we've tried to play with 5 defenders when we simply don't have players who can do a job a wing-back or defenders who can pass it out from the back. Stick to a flat back 4 (with full-backs playing as full-back)  and mess around with midfield and we'll hopefully stop shipping stupid goals.

It doesn't seem likely that Limbrick will be the answer so hopefully, for once, Fenty will pick a manager capable of doing the job and moving us forward.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 20, 2019, 10:42pm; Reply: 9
Its very unfair to criticise a 18 year old playing in a poor team.

New blood required at the top and in the team.

Come on Fenty get the next appointment right.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 20, 2019, 10:42pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
He is a decent prospect but not in the same class as Bennett. Anybody who thinks Pollock is better than Bennett was is probably one of those who thought Rob Atkinson was.

Bennett was slightly built and grew in stature, both physically and mentally. Buckley described him as a thoroughbred.

Pollock is a bog standard centre half, with no pace, no skill and is already looking too heavy at 18. He is wholehearted, which is a great quality,  but I like professional players to have more than that.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 20, 2019, 10:53pm; Reply: 11

Let’s not waste time on individual players. It is patently obvious that the players have taken zero notice of Limbrick so he is not going to do anything of a job with them? Were those players really injured or were these political injuries? I thought Limbrick might be different enough from MJ to make a difference but apparently not. Even JF must be pig-sick tonight.

We are back on the treadmill and the sooner we get someone with some experience and strength of character with a handle on tactics, the better. Tomorrow is nearly.too late.

I was thinking the same about injuries.

I had zero confidence that we were going to be any better tonight than before Jolley left. Maybe if it was just Moore in charge it might have been different.
Posted by: Maringer, November 20, 2019, 11:02pm; Reply: 12
Bennett was not slightly built when he joined us! He was a big, strong lad from the off and was perfectly capable of the physical side of things even when young. Still can't believe that Ipswich released him, truth be told.

I'd say he was definitely a lot better than Pollock who looks a little lacking in pace for higher level football to me (League One possibly his limit, but that's no shame), but then I thought Bennett would never get higher than the Championship so I was wrong there.

A slight concern is that too much pressure might be put on the shoulders of a young lad who is barely 18. He may be capable of dealing with it, but it's not ideal and it should be the senior professionals who are the ones who work to turn things around.
Posted by: Bigdog, November 20, 2019, 11:09pm; Reply: 13

Bennett was slightly built and grew in stature, both physically and mentally. Buckley described him as a thoroughbred.

Pollock is a bog standard centre half, with no pace, no skill and is already looking too heavy at 18. He is wholehearted, which is a great quality,  but I like professional players to have more than that.

My feelings too I'm afraid. Was wading through treacle trying to get back for their first goal tonight. If we get a chance to cash in on him in the next year or so, I think we should take the money and reinvest. Can't see him going beyond being a League One regular at best due to his lack of pace. A player's quick or he's not. Great strength and good in the air, but will get exposed at a higher level..
Posted by: Maringer, November 20, 2019, 11:12pm; Reply: 14
What would we do for another player good enough to be a League One regular now? We've got a couple already but more would be gratefully received!

Crazy stuff that an 18 year old playing in a struggling team is getting such criticism. The comments from people at half-time in the main match thread indicated he was doing well.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 20, 2019, 11:18pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Maringer
What would we do for another player good enough to be a League One regular now? We've got a couple already but more would be gratefully received!

Crazy stuff that an 18 year old playing in a struggling team is getting such criticism. The comments from people at half-time in the main match thread indicated he was doing well.

I imagine Bigdog was thinking of the future. Pollock isn't good enough for our team at the moment, and we are a poor league 2 side, let alone league 1.
Posted by: ginnywings, November 20, 2019, 11:25pm; Reply: 16
First viewing of Town this season for me and nothing has changed. We are still as inept as ever and I've seen nothing that makes me want to start attending again. I'm really gobsmacked at how poor we are, with players not being able to perform the most basic of skills. Passing, control, set pieces, running off the ball and defending are all terrible. How did we end up in a situation where a game that could be so financially lucrative, sees us trying to level the scores with strikers of the calibre of Rose and Cardwell?

The people running the club ought to be ashamed of what we have become, but clearly they are not because we keep on being just as pathetic season after season.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, November 20, 2019, 11:28pm; Reply: 17
Whoever Fenty chooses has to be given ££ in January. Simple as that . Forget your £200 grand back next year please JF because this club neeeds a serious shot in the arm !
Posted by: Bigdog, November 20, 2019, 11:30pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Maringer

I thought Mattie did ok tonight too and was one of our better performers, but it wasn't the point I was making..

Ring, Whitehouse, Hewitt if played in midfield, Rose, Cardwell and Cook are an ineffective use of budget though. If we've spent our seasonal budget already, seriously, who's going to take any one of these off our hands in January without us having to pay a significant part of their wages so we can get one or two in? Our only option may be to cash in on Pollock with us already having Ohman, Waterfall and Davis..

I do believe that JF believes that we've got a 7 to 12th budget, but I just can't believe we have. He won't know himself for sure until he gets the figures from the EFL at the end of the season. Or is it that we have to pay a bit more to tempt the more desperate players to train at Cheapside and play at BP? Something's amiss somewhere. We always seem to have a slower team player for player than the oppo and always seem to be less creative or composed..
Posted by: Mayaman, November 20, 2019, 11:44pm; Reply: 19
A decent assessment of the team by Maringer for sure.  It's bloody frustrating though.  All the players there have proved they can be effective as a team in the opening games of the season.  Often showing the spirit needed to come back from behind. Exeter, of course, was the prime example.  We played the ball along the deck and made them look mediocre at best.  And, we only used Hanson's aerial threat when needed.  I think he's much more effective at getting the ball to feet and holding it up like old Tony Rees used to do (albeit less skillfully).   Will a consistent team produce more consistent performances?  Take a look at Ogbu.  You can see he has quality hidden somewhere in there, it needs unveiling.
Posted by: Bigdog, November 21, 2019, 12:02am; Reply: 20
Quoted from Mayaman
A decent assessment of the team by Maringer for sure.  It's bloody frustrating though.  All the players there have proved they can be effective as a team in the opening games of the season.  Often showing the spirit needed to come back from behind. Exeter, of course, was the prime example.  We played the ball along the deck and made them look mediocre at best.  And, we only used Hanson's aerial threat when needed.  I think he's much more effective at getting the ball to feet and holding it up like old Tony Rees used to do (albeit less skillfully).   Will a consistent team produce more consistent performances?  Take a look at Ogbu.  You can see he has quality hidden somewhere in there, it needs unveiling.

Players' lack of confidence in the project and lack of confidence in themselves is playing a huge part in our downward spiral imho..
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 21, 2019, 12:10am; Reply: 21
Speaking to someone I regard as "in the know" told me that a number of the players weren't fans of MJ, on that showing tonight it didn't look like they were trying that hard for AL and his reaction after the game looked to me like he knows his time might be up soon.
Posted by: Rik e B, November 21, 2019, 1:23am; Reply: 22
Yep they seem to be continuing as they were with no 'new' manager bounce.

For all those attacking Rose and Pollock let's just remember this their first real season as first team pros, I think you being extremely harsh and fickle too.

The morale and confidence of the entire squad is at rock bottom with nobody looking like they really know what to do so you can't expect young teenagers in their first handful of senior appearances to drag the rest of the team kicking and screaming up to scratch.

When we were doing well everybody was saying how amazing Pollock is and Rose should be involved more he our most exciting player etc etc and everyone was gutted when he got injured saying we need him.

In Rose's case only just back from injury and being thrown straight to the wolves.

Shaun Pearson had no pace and he carved out a solid career and I can guarantee if let's say we get a new man in and performances and results improve and do do the youngsters as they now in a better environment then you lot will be saying they the best thing since sliced bread again.

Pollock only just turned eighteen, he no Ryan Bennett in my opinion but could go on to carve a career in the lower leagues. He could totally fail and fall by the wayside - it's so early days at minute.

I got tickets for Northampton expecting a buzz and a bounce but it seems there still bad air with Limbrick about, looks like a clean sweep and totally new management team needed (barring part of the furniture Mooro).

I'd also agree the injuries more like politics and there probably a lot of division in the squad.

We got some good player's here, everybody was crowing how great they all are during our purple patch so I'm sure with a rocket up their ar$e and a bit of motivation and cohesion we can get something like back on track soon.

The budgets been blown and it's now one out and one in, if we paying Hanson and Green 2 or 3k and have to fill the squad out with kids don't attack the kids as the first port of call is all I'd say.
Posted by: Tommy, November 21, 2019, 2:07pm; Reply: 23
Some crazy criticism/assessments of Mattie Pollock on here.

The lad is going to play at a higher level than we're likely to play at in the next 10 years.

He might not be the quickest but lack of pace hasn't held back other centre-backs who are dominant and have a good reading of the game. Plenty of examples out there.

One poster has said he looks overweight??? What? Normally the problem people harp on about with young players is that they're too lightweight and will get bullied. Here we have a youngster who can mix it physically with experienced strong guys, and people reckon he's overweight? Nonsense in my opinion.

Regards the comparison with Bennett. It's hard to say because Bennett had managers showing faith in him and giving him runs of games in the team. Pollock has only been used sparingly despite, in my opinion, being ready and good enough to play now. But there are one or two people within the Club who thought (almost a year ago) that MP is further along in his development than RB was at the same age.

Time will tell, quite obviously. But let's not start jumping on his back and writing him off in terms of what level he might reach, after playing less than 10 games.
Posted by: RichMariner, November 21, 2019, 4:29pm; Reply: 24
Our squad, once again, just doesn't look balanced.

MJ put all his eggs in the 4-3-3 basket, expecting his full backs to provide the width, hence Wright being the only player in the entire squad capable of giving genuine attacking width.

In my mind, both Cook and Ogbu would choose to play 'in the hole' behind the strikers. That is their natural position. Anywhere else and they're 'doing a job'. I'm not surprised neither have got into the groove. Cook isn't a central midfielder and he's not a striker. Ogbu has played all across the front line, but not in behind because, basically, we don't have that role.

Hess, Clifton and Whitehouse are workhorses, maybe with Whitehouse being the one with the licence to get forward. Robson looks the most natural attacking centre mid in the squad.

Defence, bizarrely, I'm broadly happy with. Plenty of strength, height and experience in the middle, Hendrie was great last season so we know what he's capable of and he's versatile. Hewitt started really well at right back. Gibson, while not pulling up any trees, is better than Ring (who's the only below-par defender for this level in my opinion).

No issues with the keeper.

The problem seems to be that the players don't have a clue what they're meant to be doing. Is Rose an out-and-out striker, or a wide striker in a front 3? Is that where Green wants to play, wide in a three?

We lined up with two strikers last night but Green and Rose didn't seem to play like a traditional front two and were often found very wide.

Formation-wise, we're a mess. For all we know, AL might want to play 4-4-2 but with this squad, and with the injuries we have, it's just not possible. Hate saying it but we can't even get back to basics because all we have are a bunch of central midfielders, a couple of players who are neither midfielders nor strikers, and strikers being asked to play out wide.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 8:18am